New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

pcc

28 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do what? The top group has the Scorpions but not the Tigers. That is weird. Have you seen these teams play? The Scorpions didn't have a winning record in the fall against major teams I don't think and they lost one of there better players and the Tigers won over 50 games last year. I mean you could be right but what are you basing this on? I haven't seen anything from any of the East Cobb teams except the Tigers from last year. I know that the Rebels were pretty good and broke up but none of the other East Cobb teams looked that good in the fall. They will probably be pretty good but I want to see it first. I think Kennesaw will be decent but the Bandits and STIXX appear up at the top based on what I have seen. The STIXX were awesome in that one tournament in the fall and only lost one game in 5 tournaments played and that was one to the Bandits. I haven't heard anyone even mention them. Who knows?
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  22:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baseballpapa:

If you disagree with our prognosticating, conjecturing, or handicapping the upcoming season, please suggest an alternative topic. On 1-26 you asked for TC Spring Frost predictions, but now you seem to find our banter annoying.

Is it that you have distaste for teams that are being ranked and have not entered this single venue? I'm confused with where you are coming from. Please clarify.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Chili Dogs-don't know who their SS was last season, but one of the best hitters I saw last season. No way the Scorpians, Midway, or Holly Springs are top tier. If top tier means a dominate team like the Bandits have already proven to be. I really think at this time the Bandits are in a category all by themselves.
Right now the field is wide open and no one really knows. The only thing certain is some teams will improve over the season some will start out fast right away,
some wont get any better, some will get tired, and some teams will fall apart after a few loses either way I look forward to this season.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  11:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the roster changes these teams have made, its really tough to know unless you live nearby and know all the kids quite well. Then, if your that close, you really don't want to share that level of detail as to reveal too much about your local team/s to its competitors.

I know a lot I won't reveal on this forum, and so do the rest of us. I avoid specifics, and taking it down to the player level. Its not fair to the player, his parents, or his team.

I don't think any teams work ethic matches the Bandits, and that's why they are #1. How many kids/parents will practice/play 6 days a week 8 months out of the year?

You are dead on about teams falling apart after a few losses. There have been tons of roster moves since '08. That means a lot of honeymoons will end after teams get eliminated early on in these first big 3 tourneys. Then the infighting begins, then some teams begin to splinter off players.

quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

Don't forget the Chili Dogs-don't know who their SS was last season, but one of the best hitters I saw last season. No way the Scorpians, Midway, or Holly Springs are top tier. If top tier means a dominate team like the Bandits have already proven to be. I really think at this time the Bandits are in a category all by themselves.
Right now the field is wide open and no one really knows. The only thing certain is some teams will improve over the season some will start out fast right away,
some wont get any better, some will get tired, and some teams will fall apart after a few loses either way I look forward to this season.

Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bmoser you have brought up a great point, with all the new teams , new players on teams new positions,coaches and philosiphy's etc. some of these teams may not gell until mid season at best(if at all) we may not see the capabilities of alot of these teams right off the bat.
One thing is for sure, Its gonna be a great season in this age group this year ! one would jump to the conclusion " the Bandits" , But Im not so sure about that just yet. A whole bunch of talent out there this year.
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

With all the roster changes these teams have made, its really tough to know unless you live nearby and know all the kids quite well. Then, if your that close, you really don't want to share that level of detail as to reveal too much about your local team/s to its competitors.

I know a lot I won't reveal on this forum, and so do the rest of us. I avoid specifics, and taking it down to the player level. Its not fair to the player, his parents, or his team.

I don't think any teams work ethic matches the Bandits, and that's why they are #1. How many kids/parents will practice/play 6 days a week 8 months out of the year?

You are dead on about teams falling apart after a few losses. There have been tons of roster moves since '08. That means a lot of honeymoons will end after teams get eliminated early on in these first big 3 tourneys. Then the infighting begins, then some teams begin to splinter off players.

quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  22:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BMoser, I do not find your banter annoying. I really find it amusing that you can rank teams that have apparently chosen to avoid entering the stronger tournaments. If anyone enters a weak, watered down tournament then of course they can build a winning record. Most of the teams mentioned yearn only for the opportunity to play against the best and the best appears to be at East Cobb. I am not from East Cobb so this is a completely unbiased opinion based on the quality of teams usually found there. Teams such as Sandtown, EC Tigers, 6-4-3, Kennesaw, Scorpions, Chili-Dogs, Stixx, Yard Dogs, Midway and many many others. I only mention these teams because you find them at most all of the State or National Tournaments. I don't remember seeing Mills Creek, Buford, Dacula but this is not to say they are not as good, it is only to say I haven't seen them in the events we have been at.

I only mean to emphasize that the only true ranking is playing against the best the game has to offer. Come play and see how we all stack up against each other.

I really don't know much about the Gwinnett teams but until they find the courage to play the competition I probably will never know much about them. I look forward to the competition that Gwinnett will offer because the great competition will make us all better. Remember that it is how these children are being prepared for the future that is the most important agenda, not the rankings or the wins.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Gwinnett teams and if you all can't get down to us, give us all an invite and we will come be the visitors at your park. Sorry if I appeared annoyed, it is just that I am tired of talking and ready to "PLAY BALL"
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  23:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BMoser,

You asked me to clarify the single venue issue. I assume you are talking East Cobb when you say this. Our venue and several other teams venue include, USSSA State, Triple Crown State, National Travel Ball State, BPA State, 3 Super NIT tournaments in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee and the Elite 24 in Disney. We played in them all, won some, lost some, but played them all. Had the blessing to watch some great baseball played by some great baseball teams. The greatest encouragement that I can give you and your teams is that if this can be done by a band of 9 year old classmates from a population base of 2,812 (about the size of Mayberry) then imagine what Gwinnett can accomplish with a base population of 800,000. I hope that you can put this team together as it would only enhance and build on the great reputation of "GEORGIA BASEBALL"
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  09:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bmoser: This is one of your better posts but as with some you've either hit the nail on the head or left your hammer at home. You said that "I've seen 9-year olds throwing 64 mph accurately, and 250' blasts in this age group in Gwinnett, but the boys are spread way too thin to win tourneys. If someone pulls a few of them together, and finds a place to practice...game on. Don't forget where Francoeur and McCann came from.

Has anyone noticed the H.S. Football talent down South? Don't think for a minute that this is a fluke. If a few of these 10U athletes decide to play some baseball... Remember JD Drew and his brother"

As usual I agree with some of what you said but not with all. The great game of baseball does not discriminate. You do not have to be from a densely populated area or a be from any specific area such as South Georgia. The reality is that any child blessed with the God given ability and the proper use of that ability has the chance to realize their dream of playing in the majors. We teach our kids that the next Francouer, Mantle, Aaron, Cobb, Mays, Jeter, etc, etc. etc.
could come from Podunkville, Georgia, Mayberry RFD, Hickory Holler, or maybe even Chickamauga.

We watch the TV and a mental picture of our little guy being there someday pops in all of our heads. Truth is that very few reach this level but that is why we call it a dream. But every now and then all of the hard work, practice and patience pays off and we see one of our own make it.

Keep dreaming big guy, I can tell from your posts that you are passionate about your baseball. Keep working and reaching for that dream. Make a difference in one of these young men's lives. Help give them the opportunity to not only be able to dream but to encourage them to work hard to make the dream a reality.

Last thing might be the worst news for you. McCann and Francouer are too old to play in our league and we would protest them and ask for a birth certificate. Ha Ha
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BASEBALLPAPA said:I have heard nothing but good things about the Gwinnett teams and if you all can't get down to us, give us all an invite and we will come be the visitors at your park. Sorry if I appeared annoyed, it is just that I am tired of talking and ready to "PLAY BALL"

I left Gwinnett for greener pastures (Forsyth County). I live on the county line, so no biggy. We'll see our Gwinnett buds at the tourneys.

Amen to "Playing Ball"! Even if it is only scrimmage season, its great to see the little guys tearing across the fields again.

Age 10...near-real baseball rules for all of us...finally. Just don't try to plow the catcher over!

Go to Top of Page

Pickle

22 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  14:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now guys lets play nice! To much talking, inuendo's and frustration going on between us adults, come on spring frost T ; let the teams figure it out on the field
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  08:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pickle, We are playing nice and its not inunendo or frustration. In baseball we call it "chatter". Just got a little chatter going on, that's all. I can't wait to put a face to the post when I get to the ball field. I am the little short guy that coaches the bandits.
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jscoda

Ok.....after reading what the "experts" say, I need to revamp.

Top group: no particular order...anyone can beat anyone

Kennesaw
Bandits
Midway
Sharon Springs Spartans Blue
Yard Dogs Black
Sandtown
ECB Scorpions
Mill Creek
Holly Springs
PTB Elite

almost in top group
6-4-3
ECB Tigers
ECB Longhorns
NYO
Sandy Plains Wildcats
Eastside

I have been reading this board for a couple of weeks now and decided to join today. I wish we had something like this where we play ( Macon). This spring and last fall we have had the chance to play in some tournaments against some of the teams you mention above and others that seem to get mentioned alot Holly Springs Express, North Georgia Storm,..... Couple of the teams you mention above don't impress me even though they may have beat us. My team for what it is worth is very inconsistent and lacks focus at times. We are a AA team and will hopefully finish out the year strong so I can move us up to Major and play against more of the big boys.
I would like to take a stab at the top teams in Georgia and hear your thoughts

Bandits- Has to start here
Stixx- Best team we have played. Most Athletic team I have seen.
Kennesaw Express- Looked great at the Forsyth Slugfest. Hopefully we will play them in Panama City.
6-4-3_ Solid team. Thought we had them but........mentioned we where inconsistent didn't I?

Don't really think there is a clear cut #5. Several teams are bunched together. Will say that the Columbus Cyclones where very good but they broke up. Well look forward to any replies.

Edited by - Titan1 on 04/12/2009 21:51:15
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  07:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandits stand at 25-1 at this early point in the season losing only to the Mizuno Glory at the Atlanta Super NIT and led 5-3 late in this defeat. The record does not reflect that there were many very close games that could have gone either way. The record also does not reflect that there are many local Atlanta teams that are very capable of beating us on any given day. We have been more than fortunate to win these close games and know that playing the caliber of competition that you face at East Cobb, ATP, Forsyth, and the other Atlanta venues only makes us a stronger team. Bandits play in many places but have always said the toughest place we play is at home.

People at the park ask me all the time how does the Bandits do it. What is the secret. There is no secret other than hard work and having fun. They enjoy each other and it is obvious that myself and the other parents, grandparents, and fans feel much more pressure than the kids. It helps to have a Coach that preaches fun and even insisted that they play with a soccer ball prior to the championship game of the Spring Nationals. It helps to have parents who have committed to the goals of the team and complain very little if any about where their son is playing or what hole he is batting in. It helps to have 2 left handed pitchers that are throwing in the low to mid 60's with nasty change ups. It helps that they are so fundamentally sound that they know at 10 years old that laying down a good bunt or hitting behind the runners help the team. It helps that they have been coached the right way and that they play defense the way that they have been taught by a solid coaching staff that loves them. It helps for them to know that we will love them in defeat even more than we do in victory.

What an awesome game this game called baseball is. Where else can you learn so many lessons about life and have so much fun doing it.

The biggest testimony that this area has for our baseball programs stands in the number of out of town and out of state teams that come here to play. Not for the manicured fields but for the opportunity to play the best 10 year baseball teams that America has to offer.

Good luck to all of the 10U teams for the remainder of the season.
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baseballpapa is too modest sometimes. The Bandits strengths are:

Pitching - their Ace is a lefty who throws in the mid 60's with a great cur ... I mean change up. If you do put the ball in play, likely it will not be hard hit and their defense will get you out. They will also work the outside part of the plate with precision.

Defense - very solid defensively and it's hard to hit the ball hard against them due to their precise pitching.

Base running - once on base, they will advance around the paths and they will put the ball in play behind those runners. Mostly, I've seen them put up a couple of runs per inning until they have put up 10 to 15 runs by the end of the game.

Getting on base - if they can't hit your pitcher, they will bunt, crowd the plate to draw walks, whatever they have to do to get on base.

For the most part, they win with good pitching, defense and small ball. They have a couple of players that have power at the plate but they are just 10 year old kids and they aren't perfect. Just very good.

The reason they lost to Mizuno is that Mizuno has the best hitting team I have ever seen. Once the Bandits pulled their Ace, the score got lopsided in Mizuno's favor.

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa

Bandits stand at 25-1 at this early point in the season losing only to the Mizuno Glory at the Atlanta Super NIT and led 5-3 late in this defeat. The record does not reflect that there were many very close games that could have gone either way. The record also does not reflect that there are many local Atlanta teams that are very capable of beating us on any given day. We have been more than fortunate to win these close games and know that playing the caliber of competition that you face at East Cobb, ATP, Forsyth, and the other Atlanta venues only makes us a stronger team. Bandits play in many places but have always said the toughest place we play is at home.

People at the park ask me all the time how does the Bandits do it. What is the secret. There is no secret other than hard work and having fun. They enjoy each other and it is obvious that myself and the other parents, grandparents, and fans feel much more pressure than the kids. It helps to have a Coach that preaches fun and even insisted that they play with a soccer ball prior to the championship game of the Spring Nationals. It helps to have parents who have committed to the goals of the team and complain very little if any about where their son is playing or what hole he is batting in. It helps to have 2 left handed pitchers that are throwing in the low to mid 60's with nasty change ups. It helps that they are so fundamentally sound that they know at 10 years old that laying down a good bunt or hitting behind the runners help the team. It helps that they have been coached the right way and that they play defense the way that they have been taught by a solid coaching staff that loves them. It helps for them to know that we will love them in defeat even more than we do in victory.

What an awesome game this game called baseball is. Where else can you learn so many lessons about life and have so much fun doing it.

The biggest testimony that this area has for our baseball programs stands in the number of out of town and out of state teams that come here to play. Not for the manicured fields but for the opportunity to play the best 10 year baseball teams that America has to offer.

Good luck to all of the 10U teams for the remainder of the season.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  11:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titan1:
I can totally agree with 1 of your top 4 picks (Bandits), and agree that the other 3 have looked strong too, but I'm holding out until I see these teams play out of town.

Being from Macon, you may not now that we have 3 groups of teams here. The 1st group only occasionally play outside East Cobb. The 2nd group seldom go to East Cobb. A small 3rd group plays everywhere.

I need to see more intermingling at neutral sites. I want to see how teams react to strange environments, unfamiliar umps, bad game times, terrible pool draws, raucous home town fans, long drives, unfamiliar opponents... the whole travel ball experience.

By season's end, hopefully all the teams who look really good playing in their own backyard will have traveled so we can judge them all fairly. The economy isn't helping things much for sure.

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  12:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baseball99: You are especially right about 1 thing and that is Mizuno has the best hitting team that even I have ever seen. And once our Ace was through so was the Bandits. But believe me when I tell you that the Bandits weak areas are being worked on. You also failed to mention that Mizuno didn't appear to be able to hem a hog up in a ditch and that that on any given day that they can be beaten. And then you proved my very point in that any team can be beaten on any given day and that one thing is what keeps up all coming back to the ball park. Papa has a saying that goes something like this. The Sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ----- all the time. And my last question is this. In a big game, What serves a team the best? Great pitching and solid defense or great hitting. In my years of playing and watching this game I think I would go with the pitching and defense as these strenghts are solid and do not seem to disappear as quickly as the hitting does sometimes. This post had a real good topic on this very topic "Pitching vs. Hitting"

And if you watched the game with Mizuno you also know that the Bandits lit their second tier pitching up and they were forced to bring in their Big Lefty that was their ACE.

We look forward to the rematch win or lose as this is the best team that the Bandits have ever faced and that includes the San Diego Stars. Yes, Papa just admitted that this Mizuno Glory team is the best we have ever played and though we didn't enjoy the results, we definitely enjoyed the experience as it only made us hungrier and yes even made us better.
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  13:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser,
I can agree that things will work themselves out by the end of the season but as of right now I think the almost general consensus would be that Bandits and Stixx are the two top dogs. Like the Bandits, Stixx will travel and will win. They have traveled to Florida twice this year and came away with a second place( losing to Gulf Coast Lightening) and a first place. I can see this trend continuing. I love to travel to Atlanta and play against the big dogs even when we lose. I subcribe to baseballpapa's rule, "to be the best you have to play the best".We have travelled all over this state to play and I am beginning to plan trips out of state but for my parents and for my kids we also play in some of the local tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  14:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TITAN
I agree that the Stixx travel well, so will put them right in there with the Bandits. It was not the Stixx I was referring to as needing to get out of the nest. Funny how the teams who subject themselves to the entire travel baseball experience wind up being the best. It takes a lot of special qualities (and cash) to do this, and then succeed at it. I think once a team can beat just about everybody in their area, and find themsleves playing the same teams in the brackets time and time again, its time to fly, if you can afford it.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  17:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say this, we have not played in Panama City yet ,traveled to every tournament and haven't had an easy pool game yet. We are 18-2 With 3 tournament wins. We stayed in Atlanta for a night of swimming at the Spring Frost and got sent home early at the S-NIT. Last were going to play another away tournament a wood bat in Pensacola. If any of you have played them you know it's a whole different ball game. But thats travelball!! Any of you wanting to travel come to Panama City Beach April 24-26 for the ASP USSSA Battle On The Beach NIT .This tournament is put on by Florida's USSSA State Director Eric Ervin so it's a great tournament.
Go to Top of Page

Stixxbaseball

18 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  22:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Biz,
Since you live in PC, I'm sure you wouldn't mind putting up our kids and families for the weekend if we come down. We would settle for just a continental breakfast and a home cooked meal consisting of steak and seafood for dinner. We don't want to impose so we will take care of lunch ourselves. Is this too much to ask?

Go to Top of Page

clubhousebaseball1

13 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  13:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been sitting here watching a lot of chatter about speed in pitching. Does anyone care to comment on why a coach would allow a boy to throw curve balls at 10 years old? I know of some of these boys you are talking about who claim to be hitting speeds of 60+ but I also saw these same boys snapping the ball to make it curve. They claim it is just the way they throw it, but I have been around baseball a long time. They are throwing a curve ball. If you throw that hard, why not learn to throw a change up effectively and save your arm for something important like playing for years to come. I saw 3 boys in a as many tournaments thoring them and it was supported by the umpires. I am not impressed at all in these boys or coaches that opt for this pitch at this age. If a coach shows a boy something that makes the ball move and tells him if you do just a little more twisting with youre arm it will curve, what do you think a 10 year old will do? I am a little concerned about some of these coaches we have out there looking for 10 year old glory at all expense.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biz won't have enough room for the Stixx as the Bandits have first choice of rooms with a view. Bandits will furnish the labor for the steak cook out and Biz will furnish the steaks.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  18:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell you what, the whole Stixx team and family is invited to stay at my house in the yard in your on tents. You all can shower under my waterhose. I'll even run a cord out there for a fan (bring your on fan). If yall do this I would gladly serve breakfast to everyone. Im sorry the accommodations can't be better, because yes I to am in need of a government bailout.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  21:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I brought up the same concern, I was told by a Coach on the team that the boy in question was throwing a "change up"! Like I cant tell the difference. Even some well respected NWBA bloggers doubted my claims.

Like you, I have seen these funky "change ups" being thrown by 3 or 4 pitchers. Some only as an out pitch, others much more frequently. You will NOT get egocentric Dad/Coaches to listen to you. I look at it as less competition for my kid later on in high school try outs when their kids are playing in the band! Give it up...I have...its just a weird change up. B-T-W the weird change up has cost the team I saw 2 tournaments now. The change up got pounded by 2 teams who had no problem with it. Live and learn.

quote:
Originally posted by clubhousebaseball1

I have been sitting here watching a lot of chatter about speed in pitching. Does anyone care to comment on why a coach would allow a boy to throw curve balls at 10 years old? I know of some of these boys you are talking about who claim to be hitting speeds of 60+ but I also saw these same boys snapping the ball to make it curve. They claim it is just the way they throw it, but I have been around baseball a long time. They are throwing a curve ball. If you throw that hard, why not learn to throw a change up effectively and save your arm for something important like playing for years to come. I saw 3 boys in a as many tournaments thoring them and it was supported by the umpires. I am not impressed at all in these boys or coaches that opt for this pitch at this age. If a coach shows a boy something that makes the ball move and tells him if you do just a little more twisting with youre arm it will curve, what do you think a 10 year old will do? I am a little concerned about some of these coaches we have out there looking for 10 year old glory at all expense.

Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  22:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenny I will be out of my house for the weekend at Pensacola for the wood bat,how much would my house be worth to you. PaPa we would love for the Bandits to come to PC April 24 for the NIT at the beach . (tournament director Eric Ervin 850-450-8293)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000