Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  09:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB123
you talking about thie kid who is now on 643? he does have a very strong arm or you talking about the kid who is now on the longhorns because i thought he was the one who pitched that game. if it was him you need to recalibrate that gun you used in pc.
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  10:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bstand

These issues are fun for debate. But actually, who cares????? I agree that it is hard for a team to get their timing at the plate against a pitcher with above average velocity. It is at least as difficult and possibly more so to get timing and solid hits against a pitcher who changes speeds well and has the control to paint the edges. It also helps to have a catcher who actually knows how to frame pitches to "help" his pitcher get called strikes. The flame throwers are usually best as closers because once the other team gets their timing down, if the pithcer can't change speed or locate pitches they will get roped after 1 time through the lineup.

Having said all of that, I have seen the kid who can throw 67 and he will be playing 10U this spring. He is 5'2", so he is quite large for his age, but a tremendous athlete and lives up to the hype.

I've seen this kid too. When he is on it's fun to watch. I've seen him strike out 10 batters out of 12 outs in a game (not all fast balls, he mixes speed too) and hit 2 home runs against one of the top 5 9u teams of last year in the same game. Keeping things in perspective, like all 10 year old boys, he can have his off days too. I don't know of any reasonable person that "expects" his 10 year old son to make the major leagues or even play D1. Right now, this kid is a good ball player for his age group but nothing is guaranteed for the future. I know his family and they don't expect anything but for him to have fun. Anyone who expects their 10 year old to make the Bigs based on what he has done by the age of 10 is dillusional.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  11:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot will depend on the type of radar gun used. Where the coach was sitting when he was holding the radar gun, but I would imagine most radar guns are within 5 mph accurate.
Now a 10U kid hitting a 300 foot homerun, I still would have to debate an umpire's judgement on that one. Unless he walked out there with a tape measure and measured from home plate to where the ball landed then I aint believing that one.
If you take that kid to a 300 foot field and he can hit one over the fence in 50 or 100 pitches coach thrown or not then I would believe it. Question I would like to know is what type of bat was used when he hit this shot?
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  11:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser,
I did not say these specific examples were not true, but I have been present in conversations at 10, 11, and 12 where I personally witnessed a pitcher throw or a batter hit a HR and hear people exaggerate the speed or distance. The stories just seem to grow and grow. The only problem to this is if the legend begins to put too much pressure on the individual and they start to feel like they have to live up to the expectations. When they start focusing more on pitching hard, than smart, because they think they have to prove they can hit higher and higher speeds that becomes harmful to the player.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  11:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bstand...
Thanks for confirming my "urban legend", but let's not say anymore on that topic.

Instead, let's get back to who the top 10u teams will be in '09. I saw where one of the Gwinnett "all-star" teams beat PTB Elite and the Scorpions (twice) last weekend! (I call them all-stars cause they're all from 1 parks Rec program). PTB avenged their loss in the finals, but still, how does a Gwinnett all-star team put up a 3-1 record against 2 Major all-tourney teams? Heck, in USSSA, no Cobb team has ever beaten PTB before. I heard this is a new team who had never even played together before, and some hadnt played baseball in months. I think they're all out of one park called Bogin. Some of them played Rec together this Fall.

I know Collins Hill, Midway, & Wills parks' teams got stronger too. I wonder if these teams are capable of doing what Bogin's team just did? Then there's the recent upstarts like the SD Future Prospects and the Georgia Grip who have both compiled impressive records this Fall. There's gotta be at least 1 more surprise from Southern Georgia like the Albany Stixx. Look at Lowndes and Camden county's football programs. Lots of athletes down there. The Columbus Cyclones looked as good as any Cobb team I saw in the TC events. How will USSSA re-classify all these teams 2-3 weeks from now? They wont stand for having only 1 AAA team like there is now, that's for sure. I see several AA's being bumped up, and lots of 9U's from last season being pushed down into AAA or AA. I wonder if USSSA peaks at the Triple Crown's tourney results during this process? Sure are a lot of great teams out there to classify.

quote:
Originally posted by bstand

These issues are fun for debate. But actually, who cares????? I agree that it is hard for a team to get their timing at the plate against a pitcher with above average velocity. It is at least as difficult and possibly more so to get timing and solid hits against a pitcher who changes speeds well and has the control to paint the edges. It also helps to have a catcher who actually knows how to frame pitches to "help" his pitcher get called strikes. The flame throwers are usually best as closers because once the other team gets their timing down, if the pithcer can't change speed or locate pitches they will get roped after 1 time through the lineup.

Having said all of that, I have seen the kid who can throw 67 and he will be playing 10U this spring. He is 5'2", so he is quite large for his age, but a tremendous athlete and lives up to the hype.

Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  12:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greglomax

bmoser,
I did not say these specific examples were not true, but I have been present in conversations at 10, 11, and 12 where I personally witnessed a pitcher throw or a batter hit a HR and hear people exaggerate the speed or distance. The stories just seem to grow and grow. The only problem to this is if the legend begins to put too much pressure on the individual and they start to feel like they have to live up to the expectations. When they start focusing more on pitching hard, than smart, because they think they have to prove they can hit higher and higher speeds that becomes harmful to the player.

greglomax, you are dead on with this statement. I've heard a lot of people tell me that this kid throws this or that only to find out he's barely breaking 50 when you put gun on him. I generally won't tell a kid what he throws for the reasons you mentioned above. I also won't say a kid throws a certain speed unless I've gunned him before and seen it with my own eyes.
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  12:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead, let's get back to who the top 10u teams will be in '09.

Looks like it will be a very competive spring at the 10U age. This age group seems to be showing a lot and certainly getting a lot of play on this board.

Team to beat: Bandits a cut above the rest. Fantastic pitching, good hitting and very good defense.
Go to Top of Page

gdad

40 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  12:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these kids at 10 are catching up to the 60plus pitching if yall say that what it is,if these pitchers dont get a change of speed pitch i think they are not going to be as successful as they were are 9.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  12:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything can happen in one baseball game the better team can always lose

Boynton will be very good again this year.
643 I am still impressed with 643 and think they will be winning a great deal of tournaments with major teams. alot can be said for coaching and solid defense.
Grip if they stay together will be a top notch team
ECB Astros/Tigers unknown but hype has them right at the top
Few of the South GA teams will come in and take some championships as well
Dont be suprised if a team from Columbus or Augusta or Valdosta or some team you have never heard of comes in and puts their name on the map.
The rest of the teams will compete, should be a good year for every team out there to win a tournament or two.

Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  13:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is alot of roster changes going on right now in 10u,I saw the mill creek team this weekend and they were very solid defensivly and really hit the ball well.I think they scored 15 runs in the first inning on the scorpions in pool play.this is going to be one tough competitive age group in the spring.
in no particular order,
bandits
stixx
longhorns
kennesaw
grip
columbus
mill creek
EC tigers
Holly Springs
wills park
sand town
yard dogs
scorpions
And probably one or two we dont know about yet, this age group should have some very tuff tourneys.
Go to Top of Page

pcc

28 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  14:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Stixx may be better than than the bandits. They beat them for the championship in the last tournament. The stixx lost to them in pool play but beat them in the championship. Their loss to the Bandits in pool play was the first and only loss the Stixx have had since they have formed. I think they have played in 5 tournaments. I think that the picher that you guys are talking about for the rebels and now the Scorpions is now with the Longhorns but that might not be true. I think the best teams will be Stixx and Bandits at the top followed by the Grip, Tigers/Astros, and 643 in no particular order.
Go to Top of Page

Phattso

143 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  14:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBall123

There is alot of roster changes going on right now in 10u,I saw the mill creek team this weekend and they were very solid defensivly and really hit the ball well.I think they scored 15 runs in the first inning on the scorpions in pool play.this is going to be one tough competitive age group in the spring.
in no particular order,
bandits
stixx
longhorns
kennesaw
grip
columbus
mill creek
EC tigers
Holly Springs
wills park
sand town
yard dogs
scorpions
And probably one or two we dont know about yet, this age group should have some very tuff tourneys.

One team to keep an eye on is the Oregon Park Sharks. They are new to the travel scene, but have placed 3rd the last 2 summers in the Dizzy Dean WS. They are VERY fundamental and have deep pitching. They also picked up 2 SOLID experienced "travel" pitchers. I'll be back to tell everyone "I told you so".
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  14:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBall123

in no particular order,
bandits
stixx
longhorns
kennesaw
grip
columbus
mill creek
EC tigers
Holly Springs
wills park
sand town
yard dogs
scorpions

OK, what would be really cool is to take the 10 best players from these ATL area teams and put them together, qualify for Disney and go spank the rest of the teams there ... I know, it won't happen. I can daydream.
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  15:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcc

I think the Stixx may be better than than the bandits. They beat them for the championship in the last tournament. The stixx lost to them in pool play but beat them in the championship. Their loss to the Bandits in pool play was the first and only loss the Stixx have had since they have formed. I think they have played in 5 tournaments. I think that the picher that you guys are talking about for the rebels and now the Scorpions is now with the Longhorns but that might not be true. I think the best teams will be Stixx and Bandits at the top followed by the Grip, Tigers/Astros, and 643 in no particular order.

It will be interesting to see how good the Stixx team is without the "borrowed" player(s). I know they were carrying a kid from the Bay Bombers who is an awesome catcher, very good pitcher and great hitter. They pitched him in the championship game of the first T.C. tournament they won this Fall. I've also heard they have kids from their 11u team playing with them this Fall(don't know if this is true though).
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  16:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to say that I am glad to see another age group besides ours (rising 13U)getting excited and talking about what is going on with these teams.

baseball99,
We have been saying the same thing about our age group (getting the best 10-12 together and go kick some butt) but the unfortunate part is no one wants to part with their players to go play for someone else you can't get agreement on who should coach. It is a shame because I will argue that we have as good or better talent in this area as anywhere. As they get older, though, you will see them start to gravitate to some of the same teams. It may not be all on one team, but they will end up on 2 or 3 top teams.

Good luck this season to the 10U. I hope you all keep posting on here all season so the rest of us know how this age division is doing.
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  16:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
300 feet is a very long way. My oldest plays on a field thats 280 in the corners and 320 in center and over a 10 foot fence. and the youngest player I have ever seen hit it out was 14. Its a lot further than you think.

The first time a batter sees a pitcher in a game the advantage goes to the pitcher. Leave that pitcher in and the second at bat, the advantage goes to the hitter unless the pitcher can change speeds.
Go to Top of Page

lefty

10 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  16:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by BBall123

We gunned 15 pitches from the kid from the rebels (#18)that pitched against 643 in the world series semis in the spring 9u and he threw 57 to 59 in all 15 pitches.He threw a 1 hit shut out that day in panama city, so I could see a 10 yr old throw 64 maybe?

Number 18 from the Rebels last year doesn't throw any where near 57-59 mph....his delivery can be sneaky.
Go to Top of Page

pcc

28 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  22:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes. We are talking about the same kid. I heard from a pretty reliable source that they are now on the Longhorns.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  10:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anybody pick up any kids from NYO. Some one earlier said something about dizzy dean sharks and while they had a nice team in dizzy dean got me to wondering if anybody picked up any players from nyo. They have some really good players that would help some teams. I was just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

Tball

142 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about NYO. Has anyone heard anything about the Holly Springs Express formerly Creekview? Rumors have it they will be SOLID in the spring.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  11:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they will be very solid and in the top 10 or 12 teams in the state for sure
quote:
Originally posted by Tball

Not sure about NYO. Has anyone heard anything about the Holly Springs Express formerly Creekview? Rumors have it they will be SOLID in the spring.

Edited by - BBall123 on 11/22/2008 09:48:00
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  13:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw some stud pitchers and players on both A and B NYO Allstar teams as 9 year olds. I believe you could combine both of those teams and be a solid travel team.
A few of those kids could really top players on some of these travel teams. Don't be suprised if at 11 NYO shows up and people are wondering where they came from.
Go to Top of Page

baseball papa

123 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  09:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa also wanted to comment in this topic. 2009 promises to be a banner year for 10 year old travel baseball teams. 2008 is over and not one of the wins of last year will carry over to this year. At this point every team is tied at 0-0 and how you finish will depend on how you prepare for 2009.

Of course the teams that everyone has mentioned will have their day in court and will have the opportunity to present all of their evidence that they are the best team. But the verdict will be decided not by the evidence but by the results of the battles. Its way too easy to have an opinion now without a battle being fought and I call them battles because that is what I expect them to be.

There are many teams in our small area of the country that have the ability to compete against any team in their age group in America and it is this competition that makes our area so well known across the United States.

I also wanted to address the comments that the San Diego Stars might have just had the Bandits number. Take it from a eye witness and believe that San Diego had one great baseball team and was named correctly as the Stars. According to someone at the Disney Parks only 1/2 of the team at Disney was on the roster prior to Disney and the remainder picked up for this tournament. This team of Stars only beat the Bandits 6-3 in the last game and the Bandits were in the game to the very last out. Runners on third 3 times and 2 runners thrown out at the plate. Bandits lost the same way they won with agression and awesome defense and came away from that game with a heightned desire to play them again.

Bandits is one of my top picks and I know that they have should be stronger with the acquisition of a former 11u Battlefield Red Sox that will play down in his age group this year. This kid fits the Bandits mold with speed to burn and one of the best gloves on the team and brings a much needed bat to the middle of the line-up. Bandits also picked up a kid from Middle Valley Tennessee that is a well known Dizzy Dean Park. This kid is raw but if he develops will bring the pop that the Bandits were searching for. I have seen this kid hit some shots off the 2 left handers that were impressive.

Just remembering the games of last year anyone would have to have the Chili Dogs, Sandtown, 643, Rebels (now Scorpions), Kennesaw, PTB Elite, Longhorns, and the Astros at the top of any list. I think there are several sleepers but I liked the Midway team that I feel might could reach the top echelon if they develop some consistency.

I also hear that there is a new team being built out of Rome with some of the former Rome Fire that have combined with the best Cedartown has to offer. Watch out for this team especially if they develop any pitching.

What this boils down to is another great year of baseball. To have the opportunity to play against and with this level of competition is what dreams are made of. These kids will look back on these times when they get my age and always have a wonderful memory of this part of their lives. Thanks to all the parents and coaches that make this possible.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  16:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball papa

Papa also wanted to comment in this topic. 2009 promises to be a banner year for 10 year old travel baseball teams. 2008 is over and not one of the wins of last year will carry over to this year. At this point every team is tied at 0-0 and how you finish will depend on how you prepare for 2009.

Of course the teams that everyone has mentioned will have their day in court and will have the opportunity to present all of their evidence that they are the best team. But the verdict will be decided not by the evidence but by the results of the battles. Its way too easy to have an opinion now without a battle being fought and I call them battles because that is what I expect them to be.

There are many teams in our small area of the country that have the ability to compete against any team in their age group in America and it is this competition that makes our area so well known across the United States.

I also wanted to address the comments that the San Diego Stars might have just had the Bandits number. Take it from a eye witness and believe that San Diego had one great baseball team and was named correctly as the Stars. According to someone at the Disney Parks only 1/2 of the team at Disney was on the roster prior to Disney and the remainder picked up for this tournament. This team of Stars only beat the Bandits 6-3 in the last game and the Bandits were in the game to the very last out. Runners on third 3 times and 2 runners thrown out at the plate. Bandits lost the same way they won with agression and awesome defense and came away from that game with a heightned desire to play them again.

Bandits is one of my top picks and I know that they have should be stronger with the acquisition of a former 11u Battlefield Red Sox that will play down in his age group this year. This kid fits the Bandits mold with speed to burn and one of the best gloves on the team and brings a much needed bat to the middle of the line-up. Bandits also picked up a kid from Middle Valley Tennessee that is a well known Dizzy Dean Park. This kid is raw but if he develops will bring the pop that the Bandits were searching for. I have seen this kid hit some shots off the 2 left handers that were impressive.

Just remembering the games of last year anyone would have to have the Chili Dogs, Sandtown, 643, Rebels (now Scorpions), Kennesaw, PTB Elite, Longhorns, and the Astros at the top of any list. I think there are several sleepers but I liked the Midway team that I feel might could reach the top echelon if they develop some consistency.

I also hear that there is a new team being built out of Rome with some of the former Rome Fire that have combined with the best Cedartown has to offer. Watch out for this team especially if they develop any pitching.

What this boils down to is another great year of baseball. To have the opportunity to play against and with this level of competition is what dreams are made of. These kids will look back on these times when they get my age and always have a wonderful memory of this part of their lives. Thanks to all the parents and coaches that make this possible.

PaPa I could not agree more about the talent here in our area! I cannot wait for this Season to get started!There will be some great baseball at this age group , and it should start with the spring frost tourney !
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok.....after reading what the "experts" say, I need to revamp.

Top group: no particular order...anyone can beat anyone

Kennesaw
Bandits
Midway
Sharon Springs Spartans Blue
Yard Dogs Black
Sandtown
ECB Scorpions
Mill Creek
Holly Springs
PTB Elite

almost in top group