New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  09:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The former Astros now Tigers are taking the fall off, they have released one player and picked up a preety good pitcher/ hitter although I dont know who that player is or where he is from.

quote:
Originally posted by you are out

Any one heard anything on the former Astros? Are they essentially the same team as last year? They have been very little comments on what they will be like this year.

Go to Top of Page

gajake15

5 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  22:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just be grateful Cobb isnt run like Gwinnett County Parks and Rec Dept, and you have non-county affiliated parks like ATP and the East Cobb facility where the Astros play. There is no place like that in Gwinnett. Everything is County-owned and controlled. Its awful.

Gwinnett used to have a "private" park or two, but it wasn't that popular. Community pride may have had something to do with it. One was in East Gwinnett and the travel teams that played out of there were the East Gwinnett Jackets (mid/late 1990's).

It may be "awful" for kid travel ball and winning tournaments, but when these kids actually get hair under their arms and start developing muscle and playing when it counts, the Gwinnett kids will have been playing together since they were 6. The kids share stories about playing t-ball together and then a select few play varsity baseball together.

Way too many daddys think they're great coaches in youth baseball when in reality, at the young ages it's simply raw physical ability and size. I've seen way too many fat 9 year old shortstops in travel ball that are the "best" player on the field. I know their daddys think they're great, but that ability will be short lived. The equlizer is puberty and nothing before then counts. How great of a coach does it take to win when you assemble the best kids from a non-defined area?

I like travel ball for the fact that you can focus your coaching and allow a group of kids to gel, but I'd rather get a group of kids from my community, work with them, likely lose tournaments with them and have them be truly prepared for the future.
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  08:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the N GA Bandits play in the fall or only spring?
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  09:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gajake15

quote:
Just be grateful Cobb isnt run like Gwinnett County Parks and Rec Dept, and you have non-county affiliated parks like ATP and the East Cobb facility where the Astros play. There is no place like that in Gwinnett. Everything is County-owned and controlled. Its awful.

Gwinnett used to have a "private" park or two, but it wasn't that popular. Community pride may have had something to do with it. One was in East Gwinnett and the travel teams that played out of there were the East Gwinnett Jackets (mid/late 1990's).

It may be "awful" for kid travel ball and winning tournaments, but when these kids actually get hair under their arms and start developing muscle and playing when it counts, the Gwinnett kids will have been playing together since they were 6. The kids share stories about playing t-ball together and then a select few play varsity baseball together.

Way too many daddys think they're great coaches in youth baseball when in reality, at the young ages it's simply raw physical ability and size. I've seen way too many fat 9 year old shortstops in travel ball that are the "best" player on the field. I know their daddys think they're great, but that ability will be short lived. The equlizer is puberty and nothing before then counts. How great of a coach does it take to win when you assemble the best kids from a non-defined area?

I like travel ball for the fact that you can focus your coaching and allow a group of kids to gel, but I'd rather get a group of kids from my community, work with them, likely lose tournaments with them and have them be truly prepared for the future.

Good points. Gwinnett seems to catch up as the boys get older because they all start falling back into their High School cluster teams so as to not be a stranger come H.S. tryout time. Brookwood and North Gwinnett have been great examples of this the past 2 years.

Also like your Daddy-ball comment. As a non-Coach parent (I've only been able to assist twice), my 10U son has endured enough Daddy-ball to choke a Blue whale. You sound like you've been around for a while, please tell me it gets better as the boys get older. So far, the only strategy I can see around it is to try to get on the Coaches teams who kids really are among the best players.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  10:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My son is playing Fall tourney's, and I have not seen them around. They play mostly Dalton area tourney's. They have not registered with USSSA yet. My guess is that if they played Fall, they'd be in 11U age group.
Go to Top of Page

gajake15

5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  00:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...please tell me it gets better as the boys get older. So far, the only strategy I can see around it is to try to get on the Coaches teams who kids really are among the best players.

It does usually. The problem with baseball is EVERYBODY thinks they can coach youth baseball, because, you know, they played little league when they were growing up, so how hard can it be? These are the dads that cause the most problems and the problem is that more than half of the coaches are these dads. Their son makes all-stars every year, no matter if they're the best or 2nd best kid on the team and then the kid gets cut at 9th grade high school try outs.

If you can, find a coach that actually played atleast high school varsity baseball and/or one that understands baseball isn't a big deal until the kids hit puberty, has a good grasp of the fundamentals, and the importance of effort and hustle at all times. Another good rule of thumb is to avoid dads that wear coaching shoes. If they do wear coaching shoes, its possible that they actually coach a high school team and help out with their son's little league team, so give those guys a pass. Avoid all coach-dads that wear the hat, oakleys, and underamour shirts. Keep an eye out for the coach that never raises their voice to the umps either. He's usually the guy with the most realistic grasp of what should be accomplished in youth baseball.

One thing I wish baseball youth leagues would require is that every coach must throw and hit before the drafts begin. I laugh inside everytime I see "that dad" pick up a foul ball and have to make a legit throw to an adult and they throw like a female clarinet player. I always say to myself, "that's what I thought".

Unfortunately, daddy-ball lasts as long as daddys are coaching. It doesn't end until high school and even then some dads will try to influence high school batting orders. "Billy hit .650 last year 14U travel ball. You should hit him 3rd coach." High School baseball coach's don't give a rip what Billy did in rec ball. They laugh about these all-star and travel ball daddys constantly.

Prepare your son yourself. Send him to a couple lessons from a known good coach and ask the instructor for help on how to carry those drills home and use them.

Be carefull judging a youth league coach's ability by his team's win/loss record. Way too many times I've seen the team with the most talent win the most games and realize that the coach knows most of the kids in the league. He knows how to load a team up with good players, not how to coach them up.
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  09:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If they do wear coaching shoes, its possible that they actually coach a high school team and help out with their son's little league team, so give those guys a pass. Avoid all coach-dads that wear the hat, oakleys, and underamour shirts.

I'm curious about your logic that would advise a dad, clearly asking for legitimate advice based on your expertise, that he should judge prospective coaches by their attire. Why not tell him to interview the coach, asking probing questions to help identify his coaching philosophy, expereience, goals, etc.? How about asking parents or players who have played for the coach in the past what the experience was like? How about scouting a practice or a game to see how he prepares his players or manages the game? I agree with some of what you are suggesting to bmoser, but I think you are off base that stereotypical appearance should be at all a deciding factor when choosing a coach for his son. Maybe we could also add that he should find out what kind of car the coach drives or what type of home he has as a deciding factor?
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  09:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Be carefull judging a youth league coach's ability by his team's win/loss record. Way too many times I've seen the team with the most talent win the most games and realize that the coach knows most of the kids in the league. He knows how to load a team up with good players, not how to coach them up.

This might be the most truthful and accurate statement ever to be posted to this website !! Nicely said gajake15.
Go to Top of Page

tae281

447 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  17:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with bstand, the coach's attire should not be an indication of someone's ability to coach a team. Who doesn't wear a hat and have an U/A shirt in their closet?

As far as Daddy ball, I've been on both sides of that issue. I've coached rec ball, All Stars & now a travel team with my son and have done so on a volunteer basis. I do agree that some coaches only do so to promote or showcase their own child but I've seen many coaches who do a wonderful job of balancing the fact that their son is on the team but may not be one of the better players. There are good dad's who coach and that fact shouldn't be left out.
Go to Top of Page

gajake15

5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  01:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm curious about your logic that would advise a dad, clearly asking for legitimate advice based on your expertise, that he should judge prospective coaches by their attire.

I was kind of joking.

Most guys that coach have their son on the team and a lot of those guys do a good job of doing the right thing. Finding a good coach is hard in youth league. If I didn't coach, I'd find the guy that all of the other parents talk about in a positive light. I couldn't care less about coaches W/L records in youth baseball.

One of the first questions I think you might want to ask is, "Should my son keep his elbow up?" and "Do you use a batting tee with your kids?".

Seriously, this fall season, I have 2 kids that I haven't coached before who played on the All-Star team this past spring. Both of them and their dad's looked at us like we had horns on our head when we broke the batting tees out at practice a few weeks ago. One dad said, "Joe hasn't hit off of a tee since t-ball 3 years ago" and the other kid said, "tees are for babies." These boys have played 3 season since t-ball, so that tells me they've had 3 coaches that don't really know what they're doing. Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn hit 500-1,000 whiffle balls a day off of a tee in the off-season. His goal was to make the ball knuckle to indicate pure contact and level plane.

Good enough for Tony Gwynn, good enough for a kid. That's just one example.

As for attire, watch the new version of the Bad News Bears and take note of the character Greg Kinnear plays. They nailed it.

Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  21:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the Longhorns won the tournament in Conyers and will play 643 in a game on Wednesday at All Tournament. Should be a good game.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  10:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have coached youth ball for a couple of years and I think most coaches kids get the short end of it really. You spend way more time with the other kids than your own. At least on our team it turns out that way every year. But I have seen the type coaches your talking about. There teams usually do not improve at the rate they should. I would say to judge a coach by how much he developes what talent he has. Win and loses do not matter until high school.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  22:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Bandits have entered the TC Fall States.
Go to Top of Page

stallion

28 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  13:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, the fall state championship is this weekend and it is featuring the best teams in the area. It looks like the Bandits have also jumped into the game. I think there is going to be a lot of good baseball. We will get to see who will be leading the pack going into the new year. There are several teams I would have like to see in this tournament. GP Dodgers, Sandtown and maybe even the Georgia Grip. It is not to late guys. I think you have to sign up by wednesday. There is a lot of interest in this age group. Wow look at the teams. This will be an extremely competitive tournament.

1. 6-4-3 DP COUGARS--ALPHARETTA, GA
2. SCOUT DAY PROSPECTS--GRAYSON, GA
3. KENNESAW EXPRESS--KENNESAW, GA
4. EAST COBB LONGHORNS--MARIETTA, GA
5. rome fire--rome, ga
6. east cobb scorpions--marietta, ga
7. south forsyth war eagles--cumming, ga
8. central dekalb jaguars--lithonia, ga
9. stixx baseball--albany, ga
10. bandits baseball--ringgold, ga

Edited by - stallion on 10/22/2008 09:35:20
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  10:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like we will now a lot about 10U this weekend at the Triple Crown FS Championships.

10 AND UNDER DIVISION:
------------------------------------------------
5. BANDITS BASEBALL--RINGGOLD, GA
6. STIXX BASEBALL--ALBANY, GA
7. EAST COBB SCORPIONS--MARIETTA, GA
8. south forsyth war eagles--cumming, ga
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  16:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5. BANDITS BASEBALL--RINGGOLD, GA
6. STIXX BASEBALL--ALBANY, GA
7. EAST COBB SCORPIONS--MARIETTA, GA

BACK to the topic.....These guys will be playing in the TRIPLE CROWN tournament in ECB this weekend...
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  15:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slamsdad

who is these kids throwing 64?i havent seen any,and if i did they couldnt hit the backstop.i think the 2 kids from the bandits are the hardest throwers and they dont throw 64.

I'm having too much fun keeping them a secret! One of them struck out 10 of 15 batters faced recently, and these weren't just any batters, they were all elite 10U players.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  18:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how pitching speed and the distance on a home run are two of the more common areas that get exaggerated. Especially at the younger ages where the urban legends can really grow.
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it weren't for the urban legends of what if/could it be true/and the next greatest what would all the people who read and post on this site have to dream about. We know all our kids are gonna play D1/get drafted/make the bigs/all-star game highlights/gold glove/cy-young/MLB MVP.
It would have happend if it weren't for my kids 10U travel team coach that didn't play him in the right position or bat him in the right spot. He really should have let him pitch/catch/bat lead off and make the roster because it's all about my boy....then I woke up.
Go to Top of Page

gdad

40 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  12:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you hit the nail on the head ,greglomax and youareout
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  13:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget everyone coming out of this area will play for the Atlanta Braves.
Forget D1 Baseball they will all sign out of H.S.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  14:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are out and lomax. Pitching velocity is measured by a radar gun. When the opposing teams Coach walks up to you after the game and says "your pitcher was throwing 68 mph, according to our gun!"
does that qualify as urban legend?

When the ump officiating a game confirms the approximate distance a home run was hit by taking the 210 feet of the fence, then adding 90 feet using the trajectory of the balls flight, then sends his opinion confirming the ~300' claim to this discussion board, adding he's never seen a 10u boy hit the ball that far, is that urban legend too?

Why are you both in denial that there are boys out there that are capable of some amazing performances? Its urban legend just because YOU didnt see it? If you follow the 10u and 11u (one of these boys will be playing up)age groups come spring, you'll get to see how special these two 10U boys are. B-T-W, neither come from Cobb county
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it weren't for the urban legends of what if/could it be true/and the next greatest what would all the people who read and post on this site have to dream about. We know all our kids are gonna play D1/get drafted/make the bigs/all-star game highlights/gold glove/cy-young/MLB MVP.
It would have happend if it weren't for my kids 10U travel team coach that didn't play him in the right position or bat him in the right spot. He really should have let him pitch/catch/bat lead off and make the roster because it's all about my boy....then I woke up.

What ?????????????
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  15:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We gunned 15 pitches from the kid from the rebels (#18)that pitched against 643 in the world series semis in the spring 9u and he threw 57 to 59 in all 15 pitches.He threw a 1 hit shut out that day in panama city, so I could see a 10 yr old throw 64 maybe?
quote:

Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  09:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These issues are fun for debate. But actually, who cares????? I agree that it is hard for a team to get their timing at the plate against a pitcher with above average velocity. It is at least as difficult and possibly more so to get timing and solid hits against a pitcher who changes speeds well and has the control to paint the edges. It also helps to have a catcher who actually knows how to frame pitches to "help" his pitcher get called strikes. The flame throwers are usually best as closers because once the other team gets their timing down, if the pithcer can't change speed or locate pitches they will get roped after 1 time through the lineup.

Having said all of that, I have seen the kid who can throw 67 and he will be playing 10U this spring. He is 5'2", so he is quite large for his age, but a tremendous athlete and lives up to the hype.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000