New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  08:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slamsdad: "Chainsaw" Cheney and Bradley Tucker of the Bandits make a hard throwing 1-2, but they could lose their grip on the top spot soon.

You are out: I agree, I see 10U Majors as the level where Daddy-ball begins to die a slow death. At High School tryouts, it flatlines. If your a DAD who's not managing by numbers (stats), from here on out, your getting passed by COACHES who do.

743: I agree that both ATPP tourneys will be revealing, but try not to focus just on the teams you know. Look beyond. Watch kids, not just teams. Why? Fall is musical chairs, and the music's still playing Studs you see on different teams now, may join together by Spring.

JSCODA: The area's you list have not cornered the market on Coaches with "KNOWLEGE and EXPERIENCE". The Bandits Coach from Boynton, heisted the top spot from you guys. In fact, 6 of the top ten 9U Coaches were not from your area. 7 of the top ten 10's, 7 of the top ten 11's, and 7 of the top ten 12's...not from your area. There are great Coaches in your area, but most are not. What you have is a higher concentration of top flight Coaches and facilities.

10U trend spotting: pitching depth will magnify. Why? If you graph the number of travel teams by age group, you'd see a sharp incline at 10U. More teams competing, means more games to get to the finals. If your 3-6 can't get you through some bracket games, don't expect your 1&2 to matter.

Okay...I'm ready...fire back! Let's just keep it light-hearted, and not mean-spirited.

Go to Top of Page

bmoc

7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  12:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6-4-3 started the season really fast last year, take a look at their record as the season progressed. It was not that good. So I do not see what you guys are talking about. Also, if you look at the major state championship last year in five games they scored 15 runs ---they do not score runs. They upgraded their pitching but their hitting remains suspect. I do agree that he is a good coach but I do not know if it carries over into hitting. So, if you look at the best teams last year(Bandits, Rebels, Chili Dogs, Georgia Yard Dogs and Sandtown) they were coached by DADS.

So it seems to me that the teams with the most talent at the end of the day will show themselves. In that same major championship last year Kennesaw ran out of gas also.

Also, if you look at last year rankings, the highest rank team in the cobb area were the rebels and they were number ten.

So with that in mind I do not think we have any team in this area that will dominate. This season will be wide open considering the best team the rebels broke up. It is a shame that the best team in the cobb area broke up. Where are those kids? That is the question.

Edited by - bmoc on 09/22/2008 10:35:32
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  20:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At 10U it certainly helps to have talent but what you do with that talent will show us which teams will rise to the top. From what I can tell from this stand point you have 6-4-3 with Pralgo who will get the most out of every kid on his team. Then you have most of the other coaches or should I say dads several steps behind talent or not.
From the "dad" coaches I have seen, I wouldn't discount Kennesaw or the Tigers (Astros) or a couple of other winning programs. 6-4-3 will be very strong but so will several other teams.
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  10:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Sandtown stay together. I heard they lost several kids. Is that accurate.
Go to Top of Page

slamsdad

19 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  11:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are so many teams in cobb gwinnnett and cherokee that it is impossible to have that dominant team,its left up to who is the best coach
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  12:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coaching is key but pitching is the answer. If you give a coach/dad 9 good pitchers they can win almost any tournament, regardless who is coaching.
Go to Top of Page

slamsdad

19 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  14:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with you,but how many 10u teams is gonna have 9 good pitchers that you can send out there and beat these teams.these 9 good pitchers dont learn how to pitch on their own playing at this level.coaching
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  14:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh pitching. The part of the game that separates the W's & L's from the time their 8 years old to the end of their career. Even in the pro's if your pitching is less than par your not going to win many games no matter how good your hitting is.
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  19:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So with that in mind I do not think we have any team in this area that will dominate. This season will be wide open considering the best team the rebels broke up. It is a shame that the best team in the cobb area broke up. Where are those kids? That is the question.

The Longhorns picked up three pitchers from the Rebels. Good players. Very good hitters too.

6-4-3 picked up a good pitcher and catcher from the Rebels. Good bats too.

The Scorpions got two pitchers. Good players and a first baseman with power hitting.

Hobgood got one player. Pitcher and power hitter.

3 Rebels are elesewhere. Not sure. All three were very good.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  11:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Longhorns dropped out of this weekends tourney. They have played at least 4 games against Gwinnett "all-star" type teams recently, and lost at least 3 that I know of. I'm told they are huge kids, but not a very strong team. I applaud them for coming over the Gwinnett to play. I wish more Cobb teams would do so. You'll notice 5 Gwinnett teams are traveling to Cobb this weekend to play at ATP, but zero Cobb teams played in the Grand Slam event in Gwinnett last weekend. Why wont Cobb "travel" teams travel?

Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  11:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the Rebels had a very good end of the season tournament, but remember they didnt win a game at the State Tournament in Roswell if I am not mistaken. To say they were the best team last year is not accurate at all. Gresham Park Dodgers Kennesaw Chili Dogs Astros and a few others beat them. I did see a kid from Mill Creek throw 63 on a Radar at ATPP sevearal pitches. Boytong had two hard throwers that were probably mid to high 50's and left handed. Pretty impressive as well.
In high school, Gwinett has pretty good baseball, but dominates in football. Cobb County dominates baseball no question about it. Their football teams can't win out of their area though. I am not sure about basketball, who dominates that in GA?

My Rankings for next season at 10U in no order
TOP TIER TEAMS
Boynton
Kennesaw
Gresham Park/GA Yard Dogs
ECB ASTROS/Tigers
6-4-3 DP
Chili Dogs
Sandtown

NEXT LEVEL
Hobgood
Wills Park
ECB Longhorns
ECB Scorpions
Millcreek
Creekview
Rockdale

Lower Level but competitive and might be you on any given day with their ace pitcher
Sandy Plains
Acworth
ECB Bulldogs
ECB other teams?
Go to Top of Page

panther

38 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  16:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there really that much talent out there at 10 yr. old level to need so many team? Years ago when I played travel ball in cobb county. Old met pack days. There was not many teams but they were all really really good. Is travel ball at these young ages becoming watered down? I have only watched a couple of the 9yr old tournaments last year and I thought to my self that not all the players were travel ball quality.

Edited by - panther on 09/23/2008 17:07:51
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  17:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panther - it can get watered down a bit. Typically each program puts out 1 good team maybe 2 from ECB. However the Marietta/Kennesaw/Canton area continues to put out good talent at this age. When these teams travel to other cities or states they are almost always the best teams there. Last year at the Grand Slam World Series 3 out of the final four teams were from this area. (Kenn/ECRebels/643). This trend should continue with the great programs in the area and the committment to baseball by the families the talent keeps rising.
Go to Top of Page

bmoc

7 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  18:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser, I got the real scoop,
just got off the phone with a parent of one of the Longhorns. She stated that your email was totally fantasy. The longhorns were invited to come play two games for free this weekend and since it was on a sunday, they were able to get 9 of their players together. She said they wanted to see their players practice together. They have a lot of football players and they have never practice the entire team together. She said that they have practice with 5 kids three times.

They played Collins Hill first, who had just beat Park View. Longhorns jumped out on them 9-1 after 3 innings. Bmoser, I guess you did not hear about that. She said that this was practice for them, so they pitched one of their better pitchers first. After they saw that it was about to get ugly they took him out after two innings(no earned runs they could not catch up) Also, that kid had not pitched since last season. They decided to back off and pitch a couple of kids that needed work because they were not given the opportunity to pitch last season. She said that they walked about eight or nine batters in the bottom of the third inning, she said that inning lasted for ever and Collins hill scored 10 runs. The coach left the players in the game so they could get work. They only played 3 innings. Also, a kid got hurt so they played with eight. Their batting order was arranged in the first game by lowest to highest jersey number---no thought whatsoever. They experimented by putting kids all over the place.

She said in the second game they played Parkview. The longhorns switched the batting order by letting the kids with the highest jersy numbers bat first. Again, no strategy. They Experimented with pitching and they moved kids all over the field. She said they were just looking for some work. She said parkview jumped up 8-0. Longhorns brought in a good pitcher and they put kids in proper positions and they stop the bleeding. Then Parkview brought in their stud pitcher and the longhorns put up 7 runs in a inning, she said that there were 7 to 8 hits in that inning. Score end up being 9-7.

Also, that they were never registered for the tournament this weekend because they have not practiced. She thinks All Tournaments Players Park must have put them in their for marketing so it would appear that a lot of teams were coming or they just made a mistake. She said they will do their debut in October at the fall state championship.

Bmoser, these kids have never practice together and they had to pull back.
She said she thinks the longhorns could have easily beat these two teams, if they would have taken it serious even though they have not really practiced together.

Won't yall bring some of those boys up to that fall championship. It looks like their are some good teams in that tournament, and I do not buy that teams are not going to be competitive by then.

She said her husband told her that the only reason they participated in this event was because it was in gwinnett and they knew that they could be some what competive in spite of their preparation.

Edited by - bmoc on 09/23/2008 20:32:11
Go to Top of Page

gatorsdontsweat

2 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  21:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoc -- from what I understand, the lack of preparation by the coach of the Longhorns sounds about right, even if it was only practice. Wonder how that will impact their season????
Go to Top of Page

slamsdad

19 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i guess the longhorns must be that sleeper team
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by panther

Is there really that much talent out there at 10 yr. old level to need so many team? Years ago when I played travel ball in cobb county. Old met pack days. There was not many teams but they were all really really good. Is travel ball at these young ages becoming watered down? I have only watched a couple of the 9yr old tournaments last year and I thought to my self that not all the players were travel ball quality.

You are right Panther. Things never change, just the faces. No doubt that half of the teams in travel would have more fun and be better suited to playing rec ball and then all stars. Some dads feel their son is left out and decide to start/manage/coach their own team or pair with other dads in the same situation and "poof" there is another travel team which their son now has a chance at showing everyone they deserve (or not) to be on the same field as the others who told them they should reconsider travel ball. Its not hard to spot. Goes on with every sport.
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 743

I would say the Rebels had a very good end of the season tournament, but remember they didnt win a game at the State Tournament in Roswell if I am not mistaken. To say they were the best team last year is not accurate at all. Gresham Park Dodgers Kennesaw Chili Dogs Astros and a few others beat them. I did see a kid from Mill Creek throw 63 on a Radar at ATPP sevearal pitches. Boytong had two hard throwers that were probably mid to high 50's and left handed. Pretty impressive as well.
In high school, Gwinett has pretty good baseball, but dominates in football. Cobb County dominates baseball no question about it. Their football teams can't win out of their area though. I am not sure about basketball, who dominates that in GA?

My Rankings for next season at 10U in no order
TOP TIER TEAMS
Boynton
Kennesaw
Gresham Park/GA Yard Dogs
ECB ASTROS/Tigers
6-4-3 DP
Chili Dogs
Sandtown

NEXT LEVEL
Hobgood
Wills Park
ECB Longhorns
ECB Scorpions
Millcreek
Creekview
Rockdale

Lower Level but competitive and might be you on any given day with their ace pitcher
Sandy Plains
Acworth
ECB Bulldogs
ECB other teams?

Pretty good analysis. I think the lines between who belongs in which group is still blurry. Lets see in June.

I am sure there is someone out there who is a sleeper. Maybe a Gwinett team?
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  11:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bmoc seems to be a little upset. i guess the fall st chammpionships will show us what the longhorns are made of.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  16:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmoc

bmoser, I got the real scoop,
just got off the phone with a parent of one of the Longhorns. She stated that your email was totally fantasy. The longhorns were invited to come play two games for free this weekend and since it was on a sunday, they were able to get 9 of their players together. She said they wanted to see their players practice together. They have a lot of football players and they have never practice the entire team together. She said that they have practice with 5 kids three times.

They played Collins Hill first, who had just beat Park View. Longhorns jumped out on them 9-1 after 3 innings. Bmoser, I guess you did not hear about that. She said that this was practice for them, so they pitched one of their better pitchers first. After they saw that it was about to get ugly they took him out after two innings(no earned runs they could not catch up) Also, that kid had not pitched since last season. They decided to back off and pitch a couple of kids that needed work because they were not given the opportunity to pitch last season. She said that they walked about eight or nine batters in the bottom of the third inning, she said that inning lasted for ever and Collins hill scored 10 runs. The coach left the players in the game so they could get work. They only played 3 innings. Also, a kid got hurt so they played with eight. Their batting order was arranged in the first game by lowest to highest jersey number---no thought whatsoever. They experimented by putting kids all over the place.

She said in the second game they played Parkview. The longhorns switched the batting order by letting the kids with the highest jersy numbers bat first. Again, no strategy. They Experimented with pitching and they moved kids all over the field. She said they were just looking for some work. She said parkview jumped up 8-0. Longhorns brought in a good pitcher and they put kids in proper positions and they stop the bleeding. Then Parkview brought in their stud pitcher and the longhorns put up 7 runs in a inning, she said that there were 7 to 8 hits in that inning. Score end up being 9-7.

Also, that they were never registered for the tournament this weekend because they have not practiced. She thinks All Tournaments Players Park must have put them in their for marketing so it would appear that a lot of teams were coming or they just made a mistake. She said they will do their debut in October at the fall state championship.

Bmoser, these kids have never practice together and they had to pull back.
She said she thinks the longhorns could have easily beat these two teams, if they would have taken it serious even though they have not really practiced together.

Won't yall bring some of those boys up to that fall championship. It looks like their are some good teams in that tournament, and I do not buy that teams are not going to be competitive by then.

She said her husband told her that the only reason they participated in this event was because it was in gwinnett and they knew that they could be some what competive in spite of their preparation.

BMOC, there is only 1 "true" 10U travel team from Gwinnett. All the rest are all star teams who do tourneys from time to time. They try to play weaker tourneys, but since East Cobb is close, 4 of them have entered this weekend. These 4 teams are all-star teams made up of boys from 1 park. Even then, they're missing 1/2 their regular all-star team due to football, so have filled in with Rec players to be able to even field a Fall team and play this tourney.

One of the teams who beat the Longhorns had only 5 regular Spring team players, 3 of the others were 9 year olds, and 3 were Rec players. I dont know how they even scored any runs at all against a true travel team like the Longhorns.

Each Gwinnett park draws from 1 school cluster. Each cluster has between 1 and 5 elementary schools to pull from. Buford has 1 elementary school to pull from with only 700 students, Mill Creek has 5 elementary schools to pull from so are usually the best of these all star teams. Due to these restrictions, most Gwinnett teams only have 3-4 players that are USSSA Major caliber. County regs prevent these players from joining forces. There is 1 exception. I'll let you figure out which one they are. Gwinnett County regs makes it impossible for its teams to compete at the Major level, so most play AA, and do okay.

If you go to ATP Sunday, it should be very easy to spot our only real travel team. The other 4 will likely be packing their bags by the time you get there.

This is why Gwinnett teams are so weak. They have 1 arm tied behind there back by the County. True travel teams should be embarassed if they lose to any of these 4 teams.

Just be grateful Cobb isnt run like Gwinnett County Parks and Rec Dept, and you have non-county affiliated parks like ATP and the East Cobb facility where the Astros play. There is no place like that in Gwinnett. Everything is County-owned and controlled. Its awful.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkeye

35 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. That was a long conversation BMOC. It's almost like you were there.
Go to Top of Page

you are out

34 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is a need for true travel teams in Gwinnett county at the younger ages why hasn't and ECB type faciliy sprung up. This is how it started in Cobb Cty. There was a need and there was support to find a way to break away from the County parks. For that matter you don't even need a true park to play out of. If you have the right coach mixed with the right kids & I stress parents you can practice anywhere. All you need is space to practice. Any patch of grass with a bucket of balls and you can get started.
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of this is very entertaining, but at the end of the day, all excuses aside, championship teams find a way to win rather than justifying reasons for losing. It is up to the coaching staff, and the parents to a degree, to bring out the best in each and every player... On some days that will be enough to win, against anyone. On other days it won't be enough. I think coaches learn more about their team when they lose than when they win anyway. I just hope all of these players are having fun and learning about the game and life in the process. If so, all these teams will have successful seasons, regardless of the W-L column. I doubt anyone, coach or player, will sign a pro contract after their 10U season.
Go to Top of Page

bmoc

7 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  11:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bmoser was that true travel team in gwinnet, the ga grip. They took a beating from a team from albany this weekend. They Jumped all over the grip's pitiching. Those 64 MPH pitcher took a beating. Jscoda, that sleeper team is not in gwinnett.

Edited by - bmoc on 09/29/2008 08:52:11
Go to Top of Page

homerunking

110 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  09:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if you really wanted to do a TRUE TRAVEL team find some where to practice and forget the REC...Thats what we did...If you pay taxes you should be able to practice wherever...It is a public park isn't???
We practiced on the worst field the rec had but we were not part of the rec..And we took kids from anywhere that wanted to PLAY BASEBALL!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000