New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mjones9226

81 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  17:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NEVER make it personel or bereate someone as an individual. There is a right way to argue a call. I think you should always be hospitible to an official, and offering them water or anything else they need is the right thing to do. Handling yourself the right way in both instances is what young men need to see.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  17:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No you didn't. The safty of the umps is just as important as anyone on the field. Offering water is a common courtesy.

BTW, if a coach or fan gets personal, I say pull the trigger. questioning calls, rulings; just part of the game. Getting personal is a ticket out of the park.
Go to Top of Page

gatoremt

8 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  13:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always use the teams water cooler or get water from the concession stand.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  16:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not good for an ump to pass out in front of kids (spooks them pretty bad) so we offer them water and shade in our dugout between innings. I don't see anything wrong with it. It is just the right thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  16:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking too. The ump was a kid, prolly just out of high school, maybe college. I could tell he was cooking in all that gear.
Go to Top of Page

ddhubbart

11 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  07:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe the water thing would even be a question? I have seen the good, bad and the ugly when it comes to umpires. The only ones I ever have a problem with are the beligerent ones. I have seen some games where the umps were not the best but they were having a good time with the kids. It's more productive to teach the kids that the umpires are not the enemy but part of the game.
Go to Top of Page

brannonp

89 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  19:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about umps being use in a state torney or final 4. That don't know the rules or have a strike zone. You ask a question and they say oh I didn't know that. you play hard all season to get there just to have them throw rookies out there at least put one vetran with them not both who have know ideal.
Go to Top of Page

baseballdreams

18 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  10:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brannonp

What about umps being use in a state torney or final 4. That don't know the rules or have a strike zone. You ask a question and they say oh I didn't know that. you play hard all season to get there just to have them throw rookies out there at least put one vetran with them not both who have know ideal.

I understand exactly how you feel most of us got into travel ball to take it to the next level. And when you go to state to play the best teams in the state pay your entry fee and a $7.00 gate fee you expect the fields to be in best of shape umpires to be top notch. This did not happen at the P.T.C. state tournament they did not even supply game balls.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000