New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  22:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quoted the wrong messages!! I was referring to an earlier post about coaches who feel the need to scream balk DURING every single windup.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, it is all part of the game, like it or not.
Go to Top of Page

bluecup

49 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  13:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, how does OBR 4.06 impact it being "part of the game"?

It seems clear that players and coaches can't deliberately try to cause a pitcher to balk by yelling...and that players on a team shouldn't directly refer to or address players of the opposing team:

(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach's box or on the playing field, or elsewhere --
(1) Incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration by spectators;
(2) Use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, an umpire, or any spectator;
(3) Call Time or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.
(4) Make intentional contact with the umpire in any manner.
(b) No fielder shall take a position in the batter's line of vision, and with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter.
PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was speaking to the gamemanship of clock management and the various tactics coaches use to try to run the clock out....yelling balk constantly is not allowed on my field.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  22:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christheump

I was speaking to the gamemanship of clock management and the various tactics coaches use to try to run the clock out....yelling balk constantly is not allowed on my field.

Question for Chris regarding balks.....I find NOTHING more annoying than coaches/parents who scream balk after every flippin pitch.....But shouldn't it be universal that all balks be called by the 11U age group?? It just isn't a difficult concept, and half the umpires are very strict like they should be and the other half seem to be clueless as to what a balk even is. I've heard many excuses like a.) they get a warning b.) I'll look for it next time and my favorite c.) "these boys are 11, I'm not calling balks at this age"

I just wish the rules were followed a little closer, or at least enforced with more consistency.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  00:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spartan4

quote:
Originally posted by christheump

Question for Chris regarding balks.....I find NOTHING more annoying than coaches/parents who scream balk after every flippin pitch.....But shouldn't it be universal that all balks be called by the 11U age group?? It just isn't a difficult concept, and half the umpires are very strict like they should be and the other half seem to be clueless as to what a balk even is. I've heard many excuses like a.) they get a warning b.) I'll look for it next time and my favorite c.) "these boys are 11, I'm not calling balks at this age"

I just wish the rules were followed a little closer, or at least enforced with more consistency.

YUP. What's funny is that when I do call balks in some age groups, you would be surprised of how many of those comments about "they're only 11 blue!" I hear. But I still call them.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  09:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personaly I think yelling balk for any reason should draw an automatice out. IF the pitcher is balking the head coach has a responsibility to the team and the game to call time and talk to the umpire. If the umpire insists he's not calliing, ect then the TC shoud be notifed. If the head coach will not address with the umpire, then there are choices to be made. Maybe his style doesn't fit yours and you should find another team.

I aosl beleive if it persists the respinsibile party should the ejected from the park.

It's called sportsmanship.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000