New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  17:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms, but I have a real question here.

When I watch high school and college games, I see them yelling/cheering/distracting the pitcher UNTIL HE STARTS HIS PITCHING MOTION.

Once the pitcher starts his motion, everybody stops, and it usually gets really quiet until after the pitch is delivered.

That seems to be the "acceptable" way to yell at the pitcher, if you're going to do it at all.

What are your thoughts from those of you who have been around longer than I have? Am I interpreting the unwritten rule correctly?

GoBlue

17 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  21:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember many teams that yelled at the oposing pitcher when I played, whether it was travel ball, high school ball or college ball. The teams that did were always considered bush league. Instead of having your team yell at the pitcher why don't you teach them how to hit and win with their bats.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  22:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally don't believe the older kids are as easily distracted or bothered as the younger boys....That being said, yelling during the motion will usually get you one in the ribs or the ear. I don't like it at all, and occasionally when it happens I have seen even 8U-12U pitchers have one get away and find some bone.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  23:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is bush league theres no question

blame the players yes because above age 10 they know better

bottom line fault the coaches at any age any level because they are allowing it indeed they are encouraging it so get there WIN : they are the true bush leaguers
Go to Top of Page

leftyrightyecb

21 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  07:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not worse than an over-active coach at the third yelling to his runner at second base to "GO" right as the pitcher is at the top of his release or yelling balk.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zwndad

OK, I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms, but I have a real question here.

When I watch high school and college games, I see them yelling/cheering/distracting the pitcher UNTIL HE STARTS HIS PITCHING MOTION.

Once the pitcher starts his motion, everybody stops, and it usually gets really quiet until after the pitch is delivered.

That seems to be the "acceptable" way to yell at the pitcher, if you're going to do it at all.

What are your thoughts from those of you who have been around longer than I have? Am I interpreting the unwritten rule correctly?

you see players yelling distracting the pitcher? I would like to know what high school and college teams you saw players doings this?
I could see the student section doing it but not players.
No harm in naming high schools? where did you see this?
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of JV and Varsity teams chatter from the dugout. Lots don't. It doesn't seem specifically directed at the pitcher as much as just making noise, but I've never paid attention to what they are saying. They don't get particularly louder during the pitch, it just seems like a constant din. It usually quiets down around mid-game. Especially after a couple of three up, three down innings... :)

Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should have said it differently. I see lots of high school and college teams chatter really loudly right up until the pitcher starts his motion. Then they get quiet until after the pitch is delivered. I assumed there were 2 purposes: (1) encourage your teammate, (2) distract the pitcher. Maybe they're not trying to distract the pitcher - that's what it looked like to me.

My real point is ... if you're going to be loud from the dugout ... it looks like (from high school and college teams I've seen) you should stop as the pitcher starts his delivery. Has anybody else observed that, or is it just me?

I would name schools, but I see it all the time. Also, I wasn't trying to bash or pick on any particular programs. I really am just trying to see if I have learned an "unwritten rule" of baseball, or if it's just a coincidence that I keep noticing the same behavior a lot.

(BTW, I don't condone distracting players in any way. Right now, I'm coaching a 12U team. I make them get on the fence when we're batting to cheer on their teammates. It keeps them in the game better, and that makes them play better in the field. But I do not allow them to yell at pitchers or any other players.)
Go to Top of Page

UGA12

29 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  12:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is absolutely nothing wrong with players standing on the fence cheering for their peers while going up to bat or on deck. Our boys do it, but they are coached for it to cease once the pitcher toes the rubber. This is healthy and builds team work while also showing respect for their competition.

Like others on this post, high have a real problem the over zealous coaching from bases. If you are coaching 10U or older and have to yell "GO" as a pitcher starts his motion just to make sure the boy across the field at first knew he got the steal sign, then you have FAILED as a coach. If you are coaching 1st base and you have to yell "GO" to a kid 4 ft from you when the pitcher starts his motion then you too have FAILED as a coach. Lastly, it is the Umpires job to call a balk not a base ocaches. If you yell balk while a kids is pitching you are as bush as it gets. You have every right to call time and question an Ump for something you think you saw that was a violation, but in no situation should a coach be yelling while a pitcher is in motion.

Coaches like these guys deserve a "High Five" to the face after the game.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  13:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UGA12

There is absolutely nothing wrong with players standing on the fence cheering for their peers while going up to bat or on deck. Our boys do it, but they are coached for it to cease once the pitcher toes the rubber. This is healthy and builds team work while also showing respect for their competition.

Like others on this post, high have a real problem the over zealous coaching from bases. If you are coaching 10U or older and have to yell "GO" as a pitcher starts his motion just to make sure the boy across the field at first knew he got the steal sign, then you have FAILED as a coach. If you are coaching 1st base and you have to yell "GO" to a kid 4 ft from you when the pitcher starts his motion then you too have FAILED as a coach. Lastly, it is the Umpires job to call a balk not a base ocaches. If you yell balk while a kids is pitching you are as bush as it gets. You have every right to call time and question an Ump for something you think you saw that was a violation, but in no situation should a coach be yelling while a pitcher is in motion.

Coaches like these guys deserve a "High Five" to the face after the game.

Love it !!
Go to Top of Page

baseballdad10

22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  13:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can cheer for your team all day long. Never, ever should you direct anything toward the other team (unless it is respectful).
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  13:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the first base coach should shout GO loud enough for the kid on the next field to hear. You have not failed, you are coaching. Scream to take a bigger lead, I'm COACHING my players, yours can do what they want.
The first base coach should call safe on all bang-bang plays at the bag, the coach should be vocal and animated, not a mime.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  14:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
two things here;

1. when i coached we never yelled or did anything towards the other team. our concern was us. so we cheered/chattered/whatever- for us. same went for the parents.

2. as for yelling balk- dont do it in high school. if the 3b coach yells balk then by rule the lead runner is called out as its considered coach's interference with play.
Go to Top of Page

UGA12

29 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  15:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is fine to have different philosophies. The difference in philosophies is why this discussion is occurring. Caoching with passion and animation is great in a postive way. I just disagree with it while the game is in play. I personally believe coaching is done in practice and not during the game. Good luck this weekend if you're playing and if we're in the same tournament, I'll probably be able to spot your team once you have runners on base. LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by 12uCoach

Sorry, the first base coach should shout GO loud enough for the kid on the next field to hear. You have not failed, you are coaching. Scream to take a bigger lead, I'm COACHING my players, yours can do what they want.
The first base coach should call safe on all bang-bang plays at the bag, the coach should be vocal and animated, not a mime.

Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UGA12

I personally believe coaching is done in practice and not during the game.

You couldn't be more wrong! I am not sure where you played or for how long but coaching is done at every level before, during and after games. There are so many teaching moments in a game that it would be impossible to recreate in a practice.

Now bush league crap is a different story. No yelling of balk, screaming or chanting during pitch, yelling miss it or mine on a pop up.
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the coach that comes out 3 times in 2 innings to try and get the win knowing time is almost up. I saw a coach yesterday his pitcher struggling with a one run lead go over to the umpire and said that he thought his pitcher was injured could he go out. The pitcher looked at him like what are you doing, they talked for awhile, made a change and now the pitcher can warm up all he needs as it was an injury. Then he comes out a couple of batters latter without the first one having been counted as a visit. Opposing team draws within one run, inning over. Pitcher starts next inning, calls timeout, talks to him, goes back. Comes back out next batter switches pitchers and gets out of the inning and starts yelling at his boys to line up, they all run to first and the Umpire looks at him and says what are you doing, 2 minutes left. Guess what, they lost on a walk off single with 2 outs. KARMA!!!!!!!!! Major Bush League at the 14U elite level.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  16:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2. as for yelling balk- dont do it in high school. if the 3b coach yells balk then by rule the lead runner is called out as its considered coach's interference with play.

You sure about that, or are you strictly talking about FED Rules?

Edited by - christheump on 05/02/2011 17:21:06
Go to Top of Page

23sDad

36 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ran into the "screaming at the pitcher" deal over the weekend. 9u team from one of the "premier" programs in the area. Parents yelling as loud as the players. Our kids wanted to yell back, but we stopped it pretty quickly. Had to explain to them what bush-league means. Again, 9u ball...
Go to Top of Page

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  21:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Major Bush League at the 14U elite level."

Maybe, maybe not. If there is going to be a time limit in a competition, then clock management is part of the game strategy at times. If you are losing and close to the time limit with bases loaded and runs allowed is part of the seeding, you are going to go out there twice and then change the pitcher. Same thing if you are the visitor and winning and have a minute to go and the #10 hitter is up. Why wouldn't you make a visit in that situation rather than rick giving a team three more outs to beat you?

I do agree that it is bush to try and be sly about doing it the way you describe. Everybody knows whats going on. You don't really need any pretense when you do it so long as you have visits to use.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  23:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

this is bush league theres no question

blame the players yes because above age 10 they know better

bottom line fault the coaches at any age any level because they are allowing it indeed they are encouraging it so get there WIN : they are the true bush leaguers

COACH: not only what you say but im gonna bet dollars against pennys that the coach who lets this all go on @ whatever age group never played competitive baseball at any level hi or low .

Go to Top of Page

momshell

103 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldmanmj

How about the coach that comes out 3 times in 2 innings to try and get the win knowing time is almost up. I saw a coach yesterday his pitcher struggling with a one run lead go over to the umpire and said that he thought his pitcher was injured could he go out. The pitcher looked at him like what are you doing, they talked for awhile, made a change and now the pitcher can warm up all he needs as it was an injury. Then he comes out a couple of batters latter without the first one having been counted as a visit. Opposing team draws within one run, inning over. Pitcher starts next inning, calls timeout, talks to him, goes back. Comes back out next batter switches pitchers and gets out of the inning and starts yelling at his boys to line up, they all run to first and the Umpire looks at him and says what are you doing, 2 minutes left. Guess what, they lost on a walk off single with 2 outs. KARMA!!!!!!!!! Major Bush League at the 14U elite level.

Lucky you! I would love to have an umpire like that call one of our games....have not even come close to getting one of that caliber in a very long time.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
usually when there is little time left I see coaches switch a pitcher, then after a few pitches switch the catcher...I have seen it 3-4 times this year. It has worked every single time too
Go to Top of Page

gainesnation

8 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So so so unsportsmanlike. The parents should be embarassed for doing that. Good to teach the boys not to stoop down to that level. We are 9U too and have encountered this also....more than once.

It just amazes me that people do this. They are 9. Should we pick on a 9 year old to try to win a game? I think not.

quote:
Originally posted by 23sDad

Ran into the "screaming at the pitcher" deal over the weekend. 9u team from one of the "premier" programs in the area. Parents yelling as loud as the players. Our kids wanted to yell back, but we stopped it pretty quickly. Had to explain to them what bush-league means. Again, 9u ball...

Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  13:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leftyrightyecb

It is not worse than an over-active coach at the third yelling to his runner at second base to "GO" right as the pitcher is at the top of his release or yelling balk.

I always make it a point to call a coach out on this from the stands....if I see this EVER happen and it's done repeatedly, it's a "bush league bovine scat" coaching technique. I owe it to the kids to yell as loud and obnoxiously as I can...."that's REAL classy Coach, REAL classy". To date, I must tell you it works wonders !!! Usually gets the fans laughing at the guilty coach and then he gets embarrassed and stops.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

quote:
Originally posted by leftyrightyecb

I always make it a point to call a coach out on this from the stands....if I see this EVER happen and it's done repeatedly, it's a "bush league bovine scat" coaching technique. I owe it to the kids to yell as loud and obnoxiously as I can...."that's REAL classy Coach, REAL classy". To date, I must tell you it works wonders !!! Usually gets the fans laughing at the guilty coach and then he gets embarrassed and stops.

I totally agree it is extremely obnoxious......I think there are two issues here, coaches who feel the need to distract a 9-10-11-12yr old boy. The other issue is one we dealt with this weekend in Tennessee, umpires who just flat out refuse to call a balk no matter how blatant it is!! So our coaches and parents were yelling balk 4-10 times per game but not in effort to distract anyone and it was always after the pitch had been delivered. I had an umpire tell me "he was a HS umpire" then he told me it is perfectly legal to fake a throw to 1st as a lefty.....Not stepping off the rubber but stepping toward 1st and NOT THROWING......I just don't want a coach or parent screaming balk to always been seen as a negative as there are some circumstances where it is not to distract.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  20:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am SO sick of all the yelling and screaming. It's crazy! One of the teams we played this weekend had screaming players, screaming parents, screaming coaches. They literally shouted insults to our players. 10 year old kids ... and these adults were calling them names! What?

I'm really proud of our team. NONE of us sink to that ridiculous level. Our boys don't chant or sing in the dugout, parents are respectful and our coaches never scream and yell and wouldn't dream of trying to interfere with the natural course of a baseball game.

I just don't understand how anybody can think this is how to play a baseball game. It's a disgrace.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000