General Discussion
 Is there really a 6th Tool ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  08:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pretty universal that the 5 Tools are : Speed, Arm Strength, Hitting for Avg., Hitting for Power and Fielding. I'm just wondering if there aren't really 6 tools with the last one being " Attitude" ? What do you think ?

ecbinsider

318 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  09:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's a great point, you could consider it "attitude or work ethic/desire"
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd broaden it to all mental aspects. Desire, work ethic, ability to focus/concentrate, ability to learn and take instruction, think fast, forget failures, control emotions, get along with others. For whatever reason, I'm seeing this aspect alter performance more and more beginning at 11U.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  12:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the real sports world, a good attitude without talent does not get you as far as we would like. Whereas we all know 5-tools and poor attitude will still get you the benefit of the doubt and a look by scouts and recruiters.

Hard work and desire usually accompany 5-tool players. Sometimes they just make it "look" easy.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  13:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But you know, Bill, we are seeing with Jason Heyward, that a good work ethic and respectfulness will get you a lot further with the fans, and other players, acceptance that having a poor one will. Compare him to Jordan Schafer. Both were high prospects coming up but Jason seems to have done a better job of remembering his upbringing and has had a much warmer reception.

Not to mention, a kid that has a great attitude and work ethic, when they start to struggle, will have a lot more people willing to help them work through it than a kid with a bad attitude who has not had to work for it.

I would argue that most 5-tool players did not get all of them without work. I would say a lot of work had to go into making all of them. We have at least one on our team and I know personally how much he has worked on those skills. And for the record, he has the 6th one too. (Not my son, so I can brag on him. )

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 05/07/2010 14:29:12
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  15:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I tend to agree with Bill. I don't think scouts are really going to care a whole lot about attitude if the skills are there. They will look at a kid perform and if he has all 5 tools, they will figure the attitude can be worked on. The 5 tool athletes are hard to find and when you do, you take a chance. Even 4 tool athletes.

However, if you have two guys with borderline skills for the level they are being looked at for, you take the guy with the better attitude. Not everyone is a 5 tool athlete.

You mention Jason Heyward. I will mention Barry Bonds. 5 tool athlete that was not pleasant. Never saw anyone turn him away (until the steroid issue). I will say, he may have been treated differently with the steroid issue if he was someone people liked. But he did play MLB for a very long time.

Edited by - bballman on 05/07/2010 16:11:31
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  10:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bballman / Alter:

I deleted the other part of my post talking about how most of the good players are 4 - Tool (no speed) and my view on attitude because it was too “preachy” and long winded. But here goes…

If you are a 2 to 3 tool guy at the HS and college level having a good attitude will get you more attention than not. If your team has a 5 – tool player with a bad or even arrogant attitude then you tend to tolerate him and “wish” that he was a better person.

At the Pro level I don't think they care if they are the Fan's Favorite once they get booed at home. Having a great attitude at the pro level just makes you easier to get along with, a trait that's not all that important, if you are producing or have good “up side” potential. Then too we don't know who the players are who have good attitudes because we are not privy to the enter workings of the clubhouse. Case in point, I never knew Marcus Giles was a "cancer” in the clubhouse until I was told by someone who had intimate knowledge of what goes on. I used to be a big Joe Morgan fan until I heard him tell a fan who was looking for an autograph “can’t you see I’m busy …” and walked away. Steve Carlton NEVER talked to the media (I never knew what he sound like until after he retired) and the list goes on and on. This is the main reason why I don't get into the celebrity of sports, how much they make or what they do off the field.

Told you it was long winded.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
I guess I just look at this based on how I would want my son viewed. To me, I would rather my son be thought of as a really good player that was a very respectful player than a great player who has a really bad attitude and is not coachable.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  18:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter,

As do I. The game can be very humbling even when you don't run your mouth and treat people like a jerk.
Go to Top of Page

ljames

48 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 6th tool for me would be what Alter mentioned it in his last post. I know it's not a word, but Coachability :)
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  11:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great responses folks....now my question is....whom influences & develops the 6th tool....parents, Coaches or other team mates or all ? Guess we need to remember how important our behavior influences a youth athlete whether it's as a parent, Coach or team mate relative to that all important 6th tool !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000