New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  15:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading on another topic here about a team having thier on "walk on" music. Part of me thinks it is great. The kids have fun and it makes them feel special. The other part thinks maybe the opposing team would feel this is kind of like showing off. Plus, what happens if BOTH teams have music?

- Papa, I did read this in your post. We are not in the same age group, so I am not complaining about your kids. I just wanted to find out how people felt.

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  20:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past weekend was the first time that anyone had voiced any kind of opposition to our playing music. We first bought the portable PA system back when my son was playing 9u travel ball 2 years ago. 99.9% of the time, people walk up and ask "where did you get that?" because they want to get one for their team. We used to only play the music between innings and before the games. We play the music because it adds an element of fun to the environment. If you've ever seen the Bandit team play, you will know that these players and their parents are having fun. To me, if you're not having fun watching your kids play ball, why are you still doing it?
Go to Top of Page

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  20:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't really like it. I been to tournaments (USTBA?) that plays music between innings. It is somewhat annoying plus with the fields being so close at most of the tournament sites, a good time to play music on one field is often a bad time on another. Why should a batter in a tough spot in a call game have to try to concentrate over some "walk on" music from anyother game. In the Bigs, all the music and sound effect stop when the batter is in the box.
Go to Top of Page

ecbstix

115 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  22:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually enjoyed it!
Go to Top of Page

Four Seam

28 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  22:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a dog in this hunt but personally I think it's stupid. If it were 2 teams on one field, maybe......, but not in a park with other games going on. I think it's annoying and disrespectful.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  08:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa loves it and I know the kids love it as they had as much trouble with picking their walk on music than they did in helping design their uniforms.

I would agree with oldschooldad that if it is used to distract the other team or player then it should not be used. I am not sure what age group oldschooldad is playing in but we are 11U and at this age the game should be about having fun. I have been on many great teams in my time but this Bandit family is filled with joy and really wants their kids to enjoy this experience and they love this music. We make an effort to make sure that it is not distracting anyone on any of the fields and if it ever does if you will come ask Papa we will shut it down immediately. Do not call me a member of the donkey family or use bad language, just ask politely and it will be done asap.

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  09:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandit,
I would say there is a lot more people that don't like it than like it. That does not mean that we are going to complain about it, though. If it was the only game going on at the park, it would be one thing, but very rarely can you time it that all games going on around you are in between innings. If you are on a different field and trying to shift your fielders, trying to yell over the top of the music being played on a field beside you can be tough. Not to mean distracting to the players in the other games.

While I can see that it is fun for the kids on the team using it, I don't feel it is considerate to the other games going on around you.

Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  09:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. Part of the reason for my asking was to see if my son's team should consider it. (10U). (Not that it would be my call, I am just a dad. The manager would make the call.) Enough people have said it is a distraction, I will not bring it up for our team. I do know that I have some great memories of my son and his friends dancing to the music at Disney after winning there so it does make me smile when I see it.
Go to Top of Page

HOME RUN HITTER

3 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If both teams have music, I think there should be a dance off!! LOL. I think
the parent who made the rude remark to the bandit's about the music was feeling
a little threatened over a 11 year old team playing up and doing so well!!!
The parent went about it the wrong way!! Keep playing your music, it must be
working well for your boys.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  11:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alter-Ego

Bandit,
I would say there is a lot more people that don't like it than like it. That does not mean that we are going to complain about it, though. If it was the only game going on at the park, it would be one thing, but very rarely can you time it that all games going on around you are in between innings. If you are on a different field and trying to shift your fielders, trying to yell over the top of the music being played on a field beside you can be tough. Not to mean distracting to the players in the other games.

While I can see that it is fun for the kids on the team using it, I don't feel it is considerate to the other games going on around you.

Just my opinion.

Alter, as always I appreciate and respect your opinion as you have been around this circuit a lot longer than I have.

Up until this past weekend when the fellow from the adjacent field "demanded" we turn our music off, we had received no direct negative feedback from anyone about it. Doesn't mean that there haven't been folks who didn't like it, just means they didn't tell us about it.

On a side note, had the guy last weekend asked in a nice way, we would have quickly obliged his request. Instead, he demanded it and started dropping "F-bombs" in the midst of our parents and small children.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  11:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandits also hear you guys and here is what we will do. We will continue to play the music but be much more aware of the volume and if any of you are in a tight game and wish the music to be turned off you just let us know and we will respect your wishes. We will also try to make the game at this level fun and let's all remember that these are just kids not the next coming of a MLB player yet.
Go to Top of Page

Scott0923

49 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  14:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Papa...Cupid Shuffle will ease all da' folks tensions...How many would love (pay) to see Papa do the Cupid shuffle???!!!
I got my dollars ready
Go to Top of Page

blowinsmoke

61 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  15:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the music thing, yes in major leagues they turn the music off,but they cant turn the volume down on 50,000 fans yelling either,I dont think that much attention is payed to the other fields, if you want quite go play golf. I am glad people are bringing music to the field, because baseball sometimes can be boring, but I love baseball more than anything in the world, oh almost ,I love my wive more.
Go to Top of Page

KoopsDad

73 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  15:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandit13 and his family introduced the portable sound system to our team in the fall as they joined us on a couple of occasions and not only our kids but our parents wanted one and I had more than one offer to purchase for the team. We make a point to play music that not only the kids request for their "pump up" pregame music (as they call it) but also music that our fans might enjoy between innings. It has never been thought of as a device to try to "show off" but one used to (as Papa put it) add to the enjoyment and overall ballpark experience. We do not do the walk up music because it is a little much to try to maintain. I think the thing that you have to make sure of is that the music is "clean" and not offensive, as well as turned off when play resumes.
Go to Top of Page

tn3sport

28 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  15:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOME RUN HITTER

If both teams have music, I think there should be a dance off!! LOL. I think
the parent who made the rude remark to the bandit's about the music was feeling
a little threatened over a 11 year old team playing up and doing so well!!!
The parent went about it the wrong way!! Keep playing your music, it must be
working well for your boys.

Here's how my alma mater (South Florida) settled it during a rain delay in the 2009 Big East tournament...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazG7dMhE7I
Go to Top of Page

PS Iron Pigs

129 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  16:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say if you're in the finals or if there are other games going on within listening distance, it shouldn't be played. I like hearing GNR as much as the next guy, but not while our players are batting. I'm thinking by July "Welcome to the Jungle" is going to get quite old!!!!

Edited by - PS Iron Pigs on 03/10/2010 16:57:14
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  20:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No place for music in youth baseball. Dont like it at all
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything you do love about the game loveforthegame. You do know that we are talking about 11 year olds don't you.
Go to Top of Page

lifeguard

74 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years back as an opposing parent, I didn't like the music at all. Felt like it was a distraction and took the boys attention away from business between the lines. Then we played in USSSA World Series and teams from Puerto Rico were making a run in the 11u and 12u divisions. They played drums, sang, stomped and danced on bleachers and just had a great time every time their team did something good. Playing on the next field, this was crazy. It caused me to miss that music played by the other team in between the innings.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the Bandits were in Cooperstown there was a 10U team from Miami that all the parents brought pots and pans and beat them with a metal object. The most racket that I have ever heard in my life. But they were having so much doing it that Papa decided to join them on their field. Papa played a 2 quart sauce pan but being caucasian I couldn't carry a tune so they fired me.
Go to Top of Page

Slider

26 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding Music ... If there are other games being played on the surrounding fields, then it is common courtesy not to cause a distraction in those games by playing loud music. If kids/coaches are getting distracted on the other fields by listening to the music and/or looking over to watch the dancing going on, then your music has become a distraction that is totally not fair to the other games that are being played. A parent or coach from another game should not have to politely come over to request you turn it off. You have already disrespected the right of the players in the other games to totally focus on their own game, which means that it shouldn't be on in the first place. If there are no other games being played, then I have no problem with a little music.
Go to Top of Page

PCV

27 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  08:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has never been a problem in the past. Usually when there was music we were involved in the game (one of our cross-town rivals enjoys playing music). Our boys enjoyed that element about as much as they did. And the team played it between every inning, not just the ones where they did good. Having said that, I found out what is was like to be on the "other" field. At East Cobb during spring frost, we were playing in the finals on field 3 and a game was being played on one of the smaller middle fields. Between innings the music was extremely loud. Since our innings do not coincide with theirs, we were hearing music 3 or 4 times every inning.
Just be respectful of those around you. There are a lot of players at every tournament that are there just to play the game of baseball.
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  08:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loveforthegame25

No place for music in youth baseball. Dont like it at all

You know, last time I checked, everything we do is for the youth players. Ask them what they think about the music, and I bet you 99.9% of all youth players, regardless of age, will tell you they would like the music and it would be fun. I think sometimes that us old farts take this way too seriously and take a lot of the fun of the experience out of the game for players. Who cares if adults like it? Go play in an adult league and demand silence if that is what you want.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, some of you guys have shed light on this situation for me. I think we have been having way too much fun and that we need to take the game more seriously. All this fun is ruining the game of baseball. Let's see, we will immediately stop the following behavior during ball games:

- no cheering at all - that might disturb people from an adjacent field and it definitely is disrespectful to the opposing team
- no "tick tock chants" at the plate after a player hits a home run
- no emotional display when we make a great play in the field
- no throwing it around the horn - that's just showing off
- no fist pumping by the players when something good happens - showing off again

If I've missed anything, please let me know and we will get our team in line. (ROFL)
Go to Top of Page

HOME RUN HITTER

3 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said bstand!! 99.9% of youth ball players would want the music
and that is who it is all about(players not parents). BTW in middle
school sports they play music.
Go to Top of Page

dirtdawgs

58 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  11:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again I can't beleive how adults put them selves first. The kids love the music and even the opposing kids love the music. Concentration is something that is hard to keep for these kids and yes they may get distracted, but that needs to be taught. They look into other teams dugouts during chants or if a bird flys by. If we would stop taking fun out of the game more kids would play longer and enjoy it more. Had kid hit first homerun ever at slugfest and kids celebrated at plate. Other coach made very rude comment and took some of the enjoyment out of it. Bandits if your music gets under the skin of parents that are too intense then lets reccommend music therapy verses shouting negatives to kids on the field. Shame on those that take out the fun.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000