New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GW

56 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  12:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our HS players love it. Maybe it's better when there is only one game going on, but what the heck, it's all rock and roll to me!! And I believe the correct term is "Walk UP" music not walk on music.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the pros and colleges do it then I think it's a good thing. College players dont do cheers, young players shouldnt do it. Walk out music is part of the game of baseball now. Most of these portable PA systems are only heard on the field playing the music. The music stops when the batter is almost to the plate. What is the harm. When is the last time you went to a college or pro game? If boys are distracted by music they wont go very far in this game. Imagine playing for a college where your own fans are telling you,"you suck" when you walk to the plate or boo you, you have to tune it out.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are some of the best walk up songs out there?
Go to Top of Page

KoopsDad

73 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that has not been mentioned here and that unfortunately is a reality in youth baseball is that kids can often be very nervous and tense before a game for a number of reasons. As a parent and coach I have tried to prevent this or "lighten the load" the players seem to sometimes carry before a big game. The music can often have a calming effect on the players as it encourages a sense of "fun" which is after all what this is supposed to be about. Sounds crazy, but it works. As long as the coaches can keep the players attention while the music is being played, there should be no problem. I will try to be more conscious of the proximity of the fields and whether or not our music might be too loud while play is going on on another, but it is going to take much more than any points brought up here for us to decide to no longer play music. Our kids love it and after all, it's all about them.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  17:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most people tolerate it quite well as long as the volume and frequency is taken into consideration. Walk-up music is probably a little much as it is done too frequently during a game. Middle school and HS games are single games and can easily play these without any disturbance to others.

As far as I know, cheering has been a part of the game since it's inception.

Now as for the "Tick Tock chants" there has been nothing I have hated any more than that after a HR. I put it in the same category as a batter standing at home plate and admiring his HR. It is one of the greatest shows of disrespect for the other team, and particularly the opposing pitcher, that a team could do.
Go to Top of Page

ec1

40 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with GW--music is great. Parents, sit in the stands and let your kids play ball becasue when you get to HS, thats what you do--and its great!!
quote:
Originally posted by GW

Our HS players love it. Maybe it's better when there is only one game going on, but what the heck, it's all rock and roll to me!! And I believe the correct term is "Walk UP" music not walk on music.

Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  20:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pap, i love the game, especially the younger ages. Its just my opinion, basketball yea, football yea, but not in baseball. Theres 1000 plus teams. How many are playing music????? again just my opinion. play on

Edited by - loveforthegame25 on 03/11/2010 22:08:55
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  06:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any thing is better than rock or other items in a bottle to shake up
Go to Top of Page

panther

38 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  11:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the guy above about the "tick tock chants" it is showing up the pitcher and the other team.

Edited by - panther on 03/12/2010 13:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  20:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the team in question wasn't any good there would be a different opinion......Bandit13 has played music for our team last year and if never made a difference to anybody, and NOT ONCE did an opposing player, coach, parent, or TD say anything. It's not a big deal, and it really isn't any louder than the softball chants most coaches let their players do in the dugouts.
Go to Top of Page

BBmaniac

24 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  23:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is all about volume and frequency. I have two sons playing HS ball and several schools do play between innings...but as someone has already mentioned, in those cases there is only one game going on and there is not much chance of interrupting other teams... although personally I do not like it.....I can see it having its place as long as it is done respectfully.....But as almost everyone on this topic must admit, someone somewhere will be offensive with it. Many times when the team playing it is doig well the volume seems to increase as the score spread does....in those cases it will become an issue 90% of the time....Bandit, you completely missed the point with your sarcasim above....There are plenty of tranditional ways both participants and parents show emotion....but since such a low percentage of teams do this that should be an indication of what the majority things.

Edited by - BBmaniac on 03/15/2010 08:55:49
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry BBmaniac - I was just trying to be funny. One of the other posts really struck me as being so serious that I couldn't help it. It seems like some people are so serious about youth baseball that it doesn't allow for any fun.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the OP of this question, my concern was really aimed at the other team on the field. I would love to have some between inning music. But I would be concerned that the opposing team may see it as showing off. Now, if the park provided music....
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From another twist, what happens if both teams have their music they want to play. Do they play them simultaneously? Do they alternate between each inning? Do they flip a coin to see who the "Music of Record" is for the game? Maybe it goes to the home team, like keeping the book.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoever has the better music collection !!
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  16:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say I would have to agree, Bandit. I would hope it would be the older parents so there is some good 70's and 80's music and not all this stuff now.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  09:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah Alter, I think you would like the tunes - BTO, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Molly Hatchett, plus some of the newer stuff that the kids like.
Go to Top of Page

floridabaseball

5 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a bleacher full of parents holloring and screaming when a kid boots a ground ball, misses a fly ball or someone hits a home run is ok then why is there a problem with a little music. To me a bunch of screaming parents is more distracting then a little music.

If the opposing team has a problem with your music tell them you have a problem when they cheer because your SS made a bad throw and the batter reached safely or when there base runner scores on a passed ball.

This sounds like political correctness run a muck.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  08:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a vendor biz that we run at tourneys, we play music from the trailer, a wide variety anything from old /new country and rock to r&b ,blues , and heavy metal, alternative rock, reggai and jazz. we even throw some gospel in on sundays. almost everyone really enjoys it,and some stand near the trailer while watching the games so they can better hear, the only ones that complain are older people and these dads that are on the sidelines screaming at everyone every time somthing does not go his way, in particlar its usually his kid everytime he makes an error or does not get a hit. we cant have a little fun getting in the way of "his" dreams. As far as we go, we like having music at the games and I think it enhances the experience for everyone, especialy the kids.
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  11:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow ... three pages of posts on MUSIC in baseball. That's awesome.

For the youth parents in this thread, just wait until High School baseball where rap music from the football stadium's sound system is played during soccer and lacrosse game halftimes and time-outs, or where starting pistols are blasted during track meets ... ALL during baseball games being played right next door. Better get used to the distractions now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000