Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Holding your child back in school for Sports ? ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  11:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarbur

All ;

I am not an active baseball parent this forum was passed to me by a friend who is . I am an active school system counselor with formal education in Psychology ,current employed at the high school level.

This is an issue we are asked to examine and consider perhaps once every couple years usually in the summer prior to the freshman classes beginning . Without delving into the "hardship" rules of the school system which we must consider first and foremost I can say with experience that it is with rare exception that holding back a student exclusively for sports advantages is not only something we strongly discourage it is as well in my professional view a profound personal mistake for many reasons ;

To touch on a few ;

-The student is now being told either verbally direct or by these actions that school achivement and disclipline to learn with your system age group is not important , as it is apparently not a priority in the family . He or she (we see both) is being told by the parents that sports is what we see as your only future in success as to entering the world as an adult , and that sports is the only avenue where you can be socially accepted by your peers.

-Sports at the high school level has now become an obsession by these parents to live vicariouly through their child's athletic achievements. In fact there is a extremely almost astronomically low success rate of high school sports stars actually becoming professional athletes, it is also very difficult for them to become college level athletes and retain a four year scholarship. This is per unforseen injuries , lack of academic ability to remain qualified to be in the collegiate athletic program , others.

-Scholastic athletic activities are a privilege , but not an avenue to circumvent the school systems guidelines of age to grade placement. This is true for athletics , drama , music , all programs. Sports at the highest level create celebrity status , however high school is about emotionally maturing and thus accepting responsibilities so that one may be able to exercise a responsible and productive life upon graduating. To trade this vital life skill responsibility for a few years of perceived glory is not only grandiose and short sighted it is also quite irresponsible on part of the parents who promote and allow it , regardless of how a 14 or 15 year old adolescent may feel about it at the time .

I have strongly encouraged parents to stay with the academic and life skills course that the school system has put in place for everyone ,hence allow your child to make his own way without expecting handicaps and favors , which is the clear message when allowing them to stay behind for sports .

Thank you for considering my views and remarks .

Thanks you have echoed my sentiments only delivered it much better than I ever could

The words which stand out best are "grandiose" "irresponsible" "handouts and favors" "perceived glory"

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  15:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was not whether our son would make the HS team or not that made us decide to send him to transitional Kindergarden, it was him starting college at 17 vs 18. My wife and I both have birthdays that are in the back half of the year and remember what it was like in school and how much easier it would have been to learn if we had one more year of maturity at each grade level. Not to mention having one more year of maturity when going to college.

In the end, it is one less year working before retirement.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  16:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our son has an August birthday and we elected to start him the next year. He is one of the older in grade, but hasn't hit his stride yet at 13. Our decision was 100% maturity and we are seeing evidence every day that we did the right thing. The wife is a teacher and actually drove this. We never talked about sports, the advantages of that , size etc...we put it in perspective for him in this way when he was bustin our chops about some of his same aged frineds being in the 8th grade instead of the 7th, "Son you will thank us the day you are driving to school before all of your buddies in high school in your sophnmore class." Never have heard a word rom him since, BTW.he is in all honors classes and is a Str8 A student.
Go to Top of Page

CHIEFOFSMOKE

46 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our son has an August Birthday and was not held back. He made his 5A High School JV Baseball team this year and he could not be more excited. Our thinking was if we did not hold him back at kindergarten and he struggled in school it would be easier to hold him back later. Fortunatley, he has done well in school and therefore will graduate at the age of 17 and 9 months.

Edited by - CHIEFOFSMOKE on 03/11/2010 09:33:27
Go to Top of Page

BBmaniac

24 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  23:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are good reasons and bad reasons. If a kid is small for this age and/or particularly weak then maybe...More importantly if he is having learning difficulty then for sure....But this practice is mostly about parents that are getting too caught up in youth sports. It is more about a parent that thinks this will give his player that advantage to put him/her in that 2% that can actually make a living at this.....How many kids can understand, appreciate and accept why he is being held back and distanced from his buddies and peers....
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  09:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBmaniac

There are good reasons and bad reasons. If a kid is small for this age and/or particularly weak then maybe...More importantly if he is having learning difficulty then for sure....But this practice is mostly about parents that are getting too caught up in youth sports. It is more about a parent that thinks this will give his player that advantage to put him/her in that 2% that can actually make a living at this.....How many kids can understand, appreciate and accept why he is being held back and distanced from his buddies and peers....

All about the parents YEP !

Thats exactly why this is done and it displays an open lack of personal character and responsibility to the child in my estimation

The school psychologist said it all
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  10:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holding a kid back gives him 1 more year for maturity when dealing with the following...
1. High School...and the many pressures that come from it and puts him in a more
leader type role to deal with peer pressure, school and yes sports.
2. It really can broaden his circle of friends by him being enter twined with 2
classes of students.
3. He is a year older when starting college and potentially living away from home
for the first time.
4. Year older when he starts his first Career Job.
5. Most likely a year older when he gets married.
6. Most likely a year older when he becomes a dad.
7. ETC..

Being a year older can make a very big impact in a young mans life when dealing with all of these "LIFE" decisions and situations. And at worst it doesnt make any difference whats so ever. Seems like a no brainer to me especially if the child is young for his grade.

Go to Top of Page

BBmaniac

24 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mrbama, IF these were the driving forces behind the decisions that are the topic of this post it would be one thing.....but the vast majority are made for athletic reasons not maturity in life reasons.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  13:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Year older when he gets married or has a kid..are you kidding?
Go to Top of Page

mikewells

45 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  14:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrbama31

Holding a kid back gives him 1 more year for maturity when dealing with the following...
1. High School...and the many pressures that come from it and puts him in a more
classes of students.
3. He is a year older when starting college and potentially living away from home
for the first time.
7. ETC..

Being a year older can make a very big impact in a young mans life when dealing with all of these "LIFE" decisions and situations. And at worst it doesnt make any difference whats so ever. Seems like a no brainer to me especially if the child is young for his grade.

I am with the schools counsellor on this one please do not take unkindly but these are what I would call bailouts on growing up.

Keep in mind he or she is the same calender age as the other students who are not being held back .
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  15:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBmaniac

mrbama, IF these were the driving forces behind the decisions that are the topic of this post it would be one thing.....but the vast majority are made for athletic reasons not maturity in life reasons.

My point is... it really doesn't matter what their "reasons" are.. the positives I point out over ride the negatives...even if they do it for the "wrong" reasons..such a SPORTS...The kid still gains in the areas I point out even if sports doesn't work out for him.

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  15:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just curious how many people on here actually "Know" enough people that have done this, and the true reasons behind it, to use the words "Vast Majority". From a statistical perspective, I would take "Vast Majority" as being something above 80% of the occurrences. The occurrences that i am referring to are holding a kid back in 8th grade, not deciding to start them a year later to Kindergarden. I know, maybe just one, that has held a kid back in 8th grade and it was not due to sports.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  16:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikewells

quote:
Originally posted by mrbama31

classes of students.
for the first time.
7. ETC..

I am with the schools counsellor on this one please do not take unkindly but these are what I would call bailouts on growing up.

Keep in mind he or she is the same calender age as the other students who are not being held back .

I base my opinion on experience...My brother was held back in the 6th grade..not because of grades and not because he was behind..but because he was avg academically and athletically. My parents felt like the positives out weighed the negatives. My brother went on to be an ALL AMERICAN (football) in High School and had his choice of colleges. He had a great college career (ALL SEC). He feels that staying back that year definitely made all the difference FOR HIM...I did not stay back and things worked out pretty good for me too. I had a good college baseball career and played some minor league ball also.

Staying back would not have helped me...but it was a great thing for my brother...so much so he held his son back in the 6th grade also. He is now in the 8th and doing well.

He will tell you that he was better prepared for high school, college and life in general due in large part by staying back.

I certainly believe there is nothing wrong by a kid staying back IF that is what he and his parents feel is the right thing for him.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  16:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that I feel the public school system should NOT foot the bill for this unless it is required academically. I am not suggesting that the tax payers should pay for this personal decision...especially with all the cut backs school systems are facing.

This should only be done where the parents foot the bill for the extra year.
Go to Top of Page

tschnell

3 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you take the various studies and books on the subject (Outliers, little league biological age studies, NCAA D1 biological age study, MLB birthdate studies, etc.) and combine that with the following potential gap "biologically young" atheletes must face, I believe there's a case for holding back for both mental and physical reasons, which have nothing to do with getting a young man into higher levels of baseball (college, MLB, etc.). Personally I could care less about that, I just want my son's playing physical games their entire life, and that only happens with early support and joy from doing so.

Here's an example, my son is 11 (January 99), but his biological age is between 8.5 and 9 (based on bone age studies every 6 months). Assuming every other athelete in his grade has a biological age matching his chronological age, my son is 2+ years behind his potential bone mass, muscle mass and limb length.

If you add the results of the little league biological age study, which shows many have a advanced biological age (+2 years) as compared to their chronological age, my son is now 4 years behind. Add in another year, for those that are advanced AND held back, my son must deal with a 5 year gap.

While my son's doctors are monitoring him every 6 months, at this point they believe he will "catch up" to his potential, at around 18-20 years of age, the so called extreme late bloomer. They project his potential at 19-20 to be 5'11" - 6', so he is way behind the growth curve.

Until athletics is based on biological age, "natural selection" will dictate that biologically advanced athletes will receive the attention. Every coach who makes their living based on wins understandably does this.

I don't believe my son is MLB or College level prospect, but if you can't see the obvious self esteem issues created by someone potentially 4 years behind physically, you're ignoring all sorts of studies indicating lasting negative impacts on such individuals.

I believe my son is among the most extreme cases, I don't know the numbers, but my doctor gives me the impression he's the extreme of about 15-20% of constitutionally delayed men.

I really struggle even considering holding him back, until I see him giving 175% on the field, and that just barely keeps him reasonable against others giving 75% of their potential. Or when he huddles with the team and is constantly kidded for his size, or when coaches completely overlook him or forget his name as they try to get the big uncoordinated kids to hit better, because one of their misses goes further than my son's season best line drive over SS.

He's my hero, standing up, and trying without any of the tools his competition has, just his attitude and desire.

But I feel like he could use a break sometime soon, it's weighing on him.

I wonder what the psychology is ... of telling a child they aren't suited for something, that they should find another activity that's a better fit, as opposed to telling them they're physically behind, so they're being held back in hopes they will catch up?

Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  01:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tschnell

If you take the various studies and books on the subject (Outliers, little league biological age studies, NCAA D1 biological age study, MLB birthdate studies, etc.) and combine that with the following potential gap "biologically young" atheletes must face, I believe there's a case for holding back for both mental and physical reasons, which have nothing to do with getting a young man into higher levels of baseball (college, MLB, etc.). Personally I could care less about that, I just want my son's playing physical games their entire life, and that only happens with early support and joy from doing so.

Here's an example, my son is 11 (January 99), but his biological age is between 8.5 and 9 (based on bone age studies every 6 months). Assuming every other athelete in his grade has a biological age matching his chronological age, my son is 2+ years behind his potential bone mass, muscle mass and limb length.

If you add the results of the little league biological age study, which shows many have a advanced biological age (+2 years) as compared to their chronological age, my son is now 4 years behind. Add in another year, for those that are advanced AND held back, my son must deal with a 5 year gap.

While my son's doctors are monitoring him every 6 months, at this point they believe he will "catch up" to his potential, at around 18-20 years of age, the so called extreme late bloomer. They project his potential at 19-20 to be 5'11" - 6', so he is way behind the growth curve.

Until athletics is based on biological age, "natural selection" will dictate that biologically advanced athletes will receive the attention. Every coach who makes their living based on wins understandably does this.

I don't believe my son is MLB or College level prospect, but if you can't see the obvious self esteem issues created by someone potentially 4 years behind physically, you're ignoring all sorts of studies indicating lasting negative impacts on such individuals.

I believe my son is among the most extreme cases, I don't know the numbers, but my doctor gives me the impression he's the extreme of about 15-20% of constitutionally delayed men.

I really struggle even considering holding him back, until I see him giving 175% on the field, and that just barely keeps him reasonable against others giving 75% of their potential. Or when he huddles with the team and is constantly kidded for his size, or when coaches completely overlook him or forget his name as they try to get the big uncoordinated kids to hit better, because one of their misses goes further than my son's season best line drive over SS.

He's my hero, standing up, and trying without any of the tools his competition has, just his attitude and desire.

I wonder what the psychology is ... of telling a child they aren't suited for something, that they should find another activity that's a better fit, as opposed to telling them they're physically behind, so they're being held back in hopes they will catch up?

great points and if i was in your familys shoes I would do the same thing you are

look at what others have said here i think the issue most all of us have with holding back a child is when its done for striving to be the college or majer league level and holding back the kid in order to get just that result

its bogus and self asorbed to me and always delusional it comes from ma and pa still chasing failures in there athletic past

keep doin what you are to let your son enjoy sports !
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  07:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe i missed something but do most people get checked up to find out this information
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  08:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tschnell - You're on target with your observations IMHO.....however, don't overlook his academic side in the equation. If he is succeeding academically and prospering, holding him back for the physical aspects may create confusion to him. In many instances, kids that are behind the curve from the physical standpoint, counteract that by excelling from an academic standpoint. Just be careful and consider what kind of message this would / could send to him from that perspective.

This isn't an easy decision but it is one of the most important ones for you and your family. Good luck with it.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  17:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was 17 as a freshman in college. some of my teamates that were freshman were 19. Mom why didnt you hold me back??????????
Go to Top of Page

tschnell

3 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  02:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loveforthegame25

Well I was 17 as a freshman in college. some of my teamates that were freshman were 19. Mom why didnt you hold me back??????????

You were biologically advanced, or had a very special gift in some other way to be competitive with 19 year olds, assuming you were.

What are your thoughts on something that will never happen, playing in biological age brackets? In middle school and below especially, imagine some 9 year olds playing with 12 yr olds (these are your true freshman starters), and some 12 yr. olds playing with 10 year olds? Would that help keep kids in sports until they are all mature later in high school? Do you think you would find some 21 year old late bloomers that if they had the chance would have been just as good as the true freshman at 18. I wonder, but we will never know :-) I would imagine the only documented cases would be in Baseball, as it has minor league system where a marginal player could catchup as a late bloomer (Golf's Nike Tour?).
Go to Top of Page

tschnell

3 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  02:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

quote:

Tschnell - You're on target with your observations IMHO.....however, don't overlook his academic side in the equation. If he is succeeding academically and prospering, holding him back for the physical aspects may create confusion to him. In many instances, kids that are behind the curve from the physical standpoint, counteract that by excelling from an academic standpoint. Just be careful and consider what kind of message this would / could send to him from that perspective.

This isn't an easy decision but it is one of the most important ones for you and your family. Good luck with it.

Yes, he is academically advanced, so he has a leg to stand on regarding self esteem. I believe it's more deflating to him being picked on for physical attributes or lack thereof because he enjoys sports so much, as opposed to being picked on for mental attributes or lack thereof. Athletics is the area he hasn't determined his role because of his size. He knows his role in academics and band.
Go to Top of Page

atlbaseball

17 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alter-Ego

I am just curious how many people on here actually "Know" enough people that have done this, and the true reasons behind it, to use the words "Vast Majority". From a statistical perspective, I would take "Vast Majority" as being something above 80% of the occurrences. The occurrences that i am referring to are holding a kid back in 8th grade, not deciding to start them a year later to Kindergarden. I know, maybe just one, that has held a kid back in 8th grade and it was not due to sports.

I completely agree...it is irresponsible for anyone to come on here and talk about "vast majority" unless you are a researcher.

I can speak from experience, our son has an early July birthday, he started Kindergarten a year later than what the government recommends. We decided we were best suited to make a decision on when our child was ready to start school.

He is now entering the 7th grade and has thrived, academically, socially and YES athletically. He is a confident young man that knows how to think for himself even if he has to go against the grain and not pay too much attention to others and their broad statements, generalizations and overbearing opinions... like many are demonstrating on this topic here.

Only you know your child, do your research, weigh your options and do what you believe is best.
Go to Top of Page

fourseam

162 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  12:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has a August birthday we entered him in school early. We have regreted this decision ever since. He is large for his size and has never had a hard time keeping up with his academics. His problem is that he is very immature and has a very hard time socializing with his school mates. This has been ongoing since day one. We have tried to hold him back during his early years (elementary school). I was told that he was to smart to hold back and should let him continue. As he was entering the 6th grade (middle school) we were concerned again and ask for him to be held back. This time we went to the superintendent. We were told that it was not the choice of the parents and we had no say so in holding him back, and he would continue to the 6th grade. We have experienced the same things in middle school except they are worse. Some of these kids are 14-15 years old and are in the same building with my son. It has lead to many social problems. We have now decided to pull our son out and send him to a private school that will allow our son to repeat the 6th grade. Beleave it or not my son is glad to be in the 6th again and is looking forward to going to school this year. Something he never did previously.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  16:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wasnt the original poster more after ideas on those parents and kids who want to hold off after 8th grade instead of following the rules and going into high school and instead intenttional defeat there grades and attitude so can stay down and at least in there minds be a super stud athelete BMOC .

there are rare cases when the parents want to buy into this too and thats a whole nother smelly can of worms relating to who knows what kind of childhood dreams unrealized etcetera

so here are the rules of society : you go to school you do your best you learn how to play with others and if you are truly good at sports and not being carried along in a papoose like the 8th graders above then thats great too.

but either way you got to move forward like everyone else does and make life work for you period.

thats called learning maturity everything else is just talk.

best to all
Go to Top of Page

fourseam

162 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  14:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said I was told that it was not my choice. I could push the issue if we had medical documentation to back us up, they wanted two doctors to sign off. At that point if the school system decided to keep them back the child would loose a year of middle school sports unless:
1. Medical documentation (two doctors)
2. Previous year teachers aggreed and signed off (could not be a coach)
3. School administrator had to sign off
4. Superintendent had to sign off.

The child would only loose a year of sports if they were already in middle school. Ex. if they were held in 7th for a second year. They could not play for the school in any sport during their 8th grade year. This also applies if they are held back in 6th grade as long as the school system considers 6th grade to be middle school.

I have been through this already.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000