2011 Rawlings Exogrid???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.baseballexp.com/assets/bbx/assets/product_files/Rawlings_Exo_web.pdf

Rawlings is making an Exogrid 5150 and it is coming out soon. If I did not notice the 5150, I would have assumed it was the going to be the new Louisville Slugger Exo-Grid. I have never seen two companies use the same name on a bat. I guess leaving the "-" out makes a difference?

Edited by - 3sondad on 02/22/2010 15:46:25

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  07:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW didn't read the description but the bats look like someone used to work for LOUSIVILLE SLUGGER...
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be that a 3rd party owns the Exogrid technology and has partnered up with Rawlings. With LS going more into the composites, the Exo-Grid people might have needed to pursue other bat makers.

It is a sweet looking bat, though. I typically don't like the Rawlings bats, but would have to take a really hard look at that one.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  14:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/1999/06/21/story2.html
Go to Top of Page

A-Dad

9 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  17:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ExoGrid and the ExoGrid trademark belong to a company called VyaTek. Evidently Rawlings is now licensing that technology.

Remember the Rawlings "Liquid Metal" bats (they were good bats). I noticed during the Olympics that Lindsey Vonn's K2 skis have a small "Liquid Metal" logo on them. Rawlings' parent company is large corporation called Jarden who, among a number of other companies, owns K2.

All of that high tech is in more than just bats. Makes you miss wood.
Go to Top of Page

Juice11

8 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  08:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A-Dad

I noticed during the Olympics that Lindsey Vonn's K2 skis have a small "Liquid Metal" logo on them. Rawlings' parent company is large corporation called Jarden who, among a number of other companies, owns K2.

True. K2 and Rawlings Parent company is Jarden, but Lindsey Vonn uses HEAD Skis ( http://www.head.com/ski/news.php?region=us&id=1486 ), not K2. HEAD uses LiquidMetal Technology in their skis ( http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/default.asp ).

Having said that, Rawlings/Jarden made a HUGE mistake not renewing/renegotiating their LiquidMetal contract... The current 5150 line is a huge performance downgrade compared to the LiquidMetal Plasma/RUSH Lite/Gold Plasma line. Luckily I was forewarned, so I went out and bought a bunch of the Gold Plasma bats on closeout prices in different lengths, so my player is covered for the foreseeable future into High School. Others weren't/aren't so lucky, and they were left scrambling and using inferior products.

If Rawlings would actually come out to a USSSA/AAU/Nations/Whatever tournament in FLORIDA and see the amount of Rawlings Gold Plasmas that are STILL currently in use, and the lack of 5150's being used (after 2-years of being on the market), maybe they would buck-up and re-introduce the LiquidMetal Plasma...
Go to Top of Page

A-Dad

9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  12:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, You are right about HEAD.

You are also right about the 5150's being a disappointment. We've got a 5150 as a warranty return for a broken LiquidMetal Plasma Gold. My son (15u) did not like it at all. I found another Plasma on Ebay that my son still carries in his bat bag. The barrel is shaped like a potato with the dents, but it still a better bat than the 5150.
Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  20:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone got anthing on the new 5150/EXO?
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  02:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AA17Dad

Anyone got anthing on the new 5150/EXO?

Just got it today by FEDEX for my son. Took it to the cages and all I can say is it has some major pop. The bat feels very balanced, has a stiff handle and a larger sweet spot than last years 5150s which my son also has. My son also stated that he felt no sting off the bat when he was hitting in the 85 mph cage at the academy. The bat even comes with a warning that I have never seen before. It says on a big orange sticker on the bat:

Warning This High Performance Bat Is Capable Of Producing Batted Ball Speeds That Present A Risk Of Serious Injury Or Death To Players, Coaches And Spectators.

Even though the bat is alloy it doesnt feel like it. I dont think I have ever felt a bat head like this. I cant even describe it. This would be one bat I would put on my wish list based on what I have seen of it. As for the Rawlings Plasma my son also has this bat and the 5150 Exogrid is hotter based on the results I saw today in the cages.

However based on the people I have talked to it seems this bat is going to be difficult to come by. Most reps I have talked to have said that a lot of people have pre ordered this bat so some people might be waiting till July to get it. Even Rawlings Gear said that they would not get their shipment till mid to end of Apr and that the shipment was primarily going out for all the pre orders.

Edited by - G-Man on 03/27/2010 07:39:09
Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  10:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got one yesterday. ordered it from justbats.com Hopefully we will get some use with it this weekend.
Did alittle soft-toss with it and it appears to be a good bat. Looks good, sounds good, seems to have some pop and a nice sweet spot. We shall see.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000