General Discussion
 13/14u Baseball vs Football
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is Football going to effect the year end "BIG" tourneys for many teams? I am talking about kids that will be incoming Freshmen that play football. For example the ELITE 32 is the week of 8/1-8/8
High School Football will be full speed by that time. Even Tournaments like CABA World Series is 7/14-7/22..most high school football teams will be having workouts during this week.

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  22:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the one thing about being in the SEC is that football usually starts way too early and many good baseball players suffer from a short season. It is really tough when high school baseball coaches also run summer programs.
Go to Top of Page

op-o

41 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  06:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AS far as I'm concerned let all those football players go do their thing. My sons will be in front of scouts and recruiters from July-October.

Edited by - op-o on 03/26/2010 09:16:53
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  09:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by op-o

AS far as I'm concerned let all those football players go do their thing. My sons will be in front of scouts and recruiters from July-October.

Teams could be left with some serious holes during their biggest tourneys....its unfortunate that football starts so soon here in Ga.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  09:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 14U Elite is in mid July. The 13U is the first of August.

I think the question is fair, though.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  10:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following are generalizations, of course your Varsity Football Head Coach is better than this.

1. If your baseball player is not participating in the summer workout, the coaches won't miss him the first week of practice. In fact, some Freshmen won't get to play JV ball because they were not around during the summer.

2. Very few freshmen start or back-up the Varsity players. 18 year old men are bigger, stronger and faster than most 14U children.

3. Freshmen football is about 2 things, well 3: Learning the system and Fundraising. If 2/3 of the paying (fundraising) freshmen return as sophomores, it was a successful year.

4. The only thing worse to watch, if you are not a parent, than Freshmen football is the JV Girls basketball team.

5. Cream rises. If little Chuckie is that good, he will make an impression on August 9 and will be moved up the ladder. There are many stories of Freshmen becoming starters after the first or second game because they proved in practice that they are better.

6. Please don't take Freshmen football seriously. Winning is not what is important, fundraising and learning the system are.

And as I said, YOUR head coach is different, he told you he cares about the Freshmen and that everybody gets a chance...

Go to Top of Page

op-o

41 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  10:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scouts and recruiters aren't looking at teams. They're looking at player's skills. Doesn't matter the teams success
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  10:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you mention fundraising as part of freshman football? oh yea you did..good as at some schools it counts more towards a letter than grades or playing.

op-o let us all know where we can see your son as any kid who is scout worthy is one we want to see.

I will say very few scouts follow bad teams and other than 16-18 wooden bat they dont follow any
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  10:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Scouts and recruiters aren't looking at teams. They're looking at player's skills. Doesn't matter the teams success

I had no idea that scouts and college coaches would be attending 13 and 14u tourneys.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  11:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12uCoach

The following are generalizations, of course your Varsity Football Head Coach is better than this.

1. If your baseball player is not participating in the summer workout, the coaches won't miss him the first week of practice. In fact, some Freshmen won't get to play JV ball because they were not around during the summer.

2. Very few freshmen start or back-up the Varsity players. 18 year old men are bigger, stronger and faster than most 14U children.

3. Freshmen football is about 2 things, well 3: Learning the system and Fundraising. If 2/3 of the paying (fundraising) freshmen return as sophomores, it was a successful year.

4. The only thing worse to watch, if you are not a parent, than Freshmen football is the JV Girls basketball team.

5. Cream rises. If little Chuckie is that good, he will make an impression on August 9 and will be moved up the ladder. There are many stories of Freshmen becoming starters after the first or second game because they proved in practice that they are better.

6. Please don't take Freshmen football seriously. Winning is not what is important, fundraising and learning the system are.

And as I said, YOUR head coach is different, he told you he cares about the Freshmen and that everybody gets a chance...

The problem can be as one sided as "we" baseball folks see this...the football coaches tend to see it as one sided the other way...stating that "summer" baseball does not and will not come b4 high school football....leaving these young men in a tough spot...it can be the point where they decide to be a 1 sport athlete. Which is unfortunate to have to make that decision at such an early age.
Go to Top of Page

op-o

41 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  13:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrbama31

quote:

I had no idea that scouts and college coaches would be attending 13 and 14u tourneys.

Not 13 or 14 but incomming freshman would or should be playing 15U. It is a good time to begin gettng exposure. Then when its time to be serious, the player has some experience in the situation and I believe being therre before is an advantage.
Go to Top of Page

baseballfreak

4 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  00:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes... HS FB and BB... to fb or to bb that is the question.

Well, Syracusian, say in brief the cause
Why thou departed'st from thy native home
And for what cause thou camest to Ephesus.

Summer ball weighest greater by far than doest Spring ever blessed in thine eyes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000