General Discussion
 Nations Baseball Tournaments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bturner

231 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to get anyones opinion on Nations Baseball? I have not played in any of the tournaments just wanted to get everyones input.

I will say up front I am a USSSA guy. I use to have my reservations about USSSA but when they added Bubba to the mix it made the USSSA experience so much better. Anytime I have had questions or problems I get an answer by email or phone very quickly.

Does Nations have the same level of customer service?

tae281

447 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bturner

I would like to get anyones opinion on Nations Baseball? I have not played in any of the tournaments just wanted to get everyones input.

I will say up front I am a USSSA guy. I use to have my reservations about USSSA but when they added Bubba to the mix it made the USSSA experience so much better. Anytime I have had questions or problems I get an answer by email or phone very quickly.

I've played in a few Nations tournaments and have been happy with the way they run things. Rick Cosper is the Nations guy and he has been very responsive anytime I've had questions.
Go to Top of Page

HAWKS8

70 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have played in all the associations around from Grand Slam, Triple Crown, Nations, USSSA, etc... If it is between any of those and Nations, I will go to Nations. They have the best tournament directors I have ever dealt with. I play the least in USSSA due to some of the rules they have in place. Grand Slam is who I promote second. Both of these associations listen to the coaches and if there is a rules that needs changed, they do it. The main one is slashing. USSSA will not outlaw it in the younger age groups. I have seen too many close calls with the short bases and catchers that I and many other coaches believe it needs to be outlawed. My feeling is if USSSA does not care to see this, I will play elsewhere. Too many good organizations out there.
Go to Top of Page

coachtony

236 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  23:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bturner

I agree with the other posters. Our association (FCBA) hosted a Nations tournament last weekend at our home park (Kiwanis Field in Fayetteville)and it went off well. The coaches that I talked to loved it and so did we (but we may be biased since it was our home park). As for Customer Service, I think Rick Cosper does a terrific job....you can't go wrong with him, and you have Keith Buckhalt doing a bunch of Nations tournaments in Conyers, as well, and he does a good job over there, too.

Here is one thing that I *really* like....Nations charges a simple $125 gate fee per team for the entire tournament. On a team that has a dozen players that is like $10 per player for the whole weekend. In the NIT this weekend if just Mom and Dad come it will be $50 per player. With Nations for $10 you can bring Mom, Dad, Grandma, Uncle Bo, Cousin Suzy, and a few of the neighbors kids from down the street for the whole weekend and not have to worry about "well listen here, I am the Assistant Dugout Coach of the 8U team that keeps the score book, shouldn't I be on the list to get in free?"

We will always play in USSSA tournaments because they have more and they are very competitive. I like what they have done over the years to create a "brand" if you will. Some of the decisions I question, but I guess part of that is just being the big boy on the block. I am not knocking USSSA at all, but I will say that if you have a chance to play in a Nations Tournament you should at least see for yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by HAWKS8

The main one is slashing. USSSA will not outlaw it in the younger age groups. I have seen too many close calls with the short bases and catchers that I and many other coaches believe it needs to be outlawed.

Quoted for truth.

--T

Go to Top of Page

TNBaseball

3 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the slashing, I think it's a coaching issue. Even if a kid does fake a bunt, neither of the corners should be charging out of control, and even if they are, they aren't going to get much closer than the pitcher. Again, I think that goes back to coaching.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000