New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RoamingCF

77 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  22:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw that a few younger ages (who might use the -10, -8 bats) played in wood bat tourneys; scoring was crazy low. It really does go to show - you really don't know how the "good hitters" will translate until bbcor or wood.

Encourage your kid use wood in cage at least 50% - there is just no truer read of a swing.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  01:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RUSemiPro

quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

Popped opened another one today. This one has a sleeve in it. Both have orange cap and R for retool on it. Guess the disc breaks and the sleeve holds up better.

What is stopping someone from taking a retooled zen, popping off the endcap and removing the sleeve or disc to go right back to the original zen?? Seems like an opportunity for someone to cheat the system.

About an extra $300 to cut the sleeve out correctly. It's not like the average Joe would be able to do it since it is epoxied in. Without knowing the thickness of walls that would keep the barrel from breaking, it's an expensive risk for those with low level composite knowledge.

For those Home Run Hungry folks out there, I have a good friend that works with composites designing a bat that I did FEA on coming out in August after USSSA 1.15 BPF testing that will be insane. No official name of the company yet but bat will be in limited quantity and expensive. With people paying close to $1500 for a used CF8, he should not have any problems selling them.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  01:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoamingCF

Saw that a few younger ages (who might use the -10, -8 bats) played in wood bat tourneys; scoring was crazy low. It really does go to show - you really don't know how the "good hitters" will translate until bbcor or wood.

Encourage your kid use wood in cage at least 50% - there is just no truer read of a swing.

Wood told the truth. Some of those teams may never play in a wood bat tournament again due to the real results.
Go to Top of Page

TaxiMom

149 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  13:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I saw were some kids who were using wood bats of the same length as their aluminum/composite bats, not realizing how much heavier they'd be, and how much they'd affect their swing.

I also think that the weight distribution is completely different in a wood bat than in most composite bats, again affecting their swing.

The kids who made the easiest transition to wood on our team were those who usually swung end loaded and/or aluminum bats. My son usually swings a -8, 31 inch (end loaded) XL3. He went down to a 29 inch when swinging wood and did fine. He actually liked it better than his XL3.

For those who didn't hit well with wood, I think, they simply weren't used to swinging that kind of bat, but once given practice and repetition with wood or bbcor, they'll be back to being a good hitter.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  00:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The key to hitting with wood is in the timing. No matter the size of the bat, the timing of the hitter has to be adjusted. The weight and moment of intertia changes the timing of impact to the ball pitched. I remember writing a paper on this for one of my engineering classes. I need to dig it out and post it.
Go to Top of Page

RUSemiPro

95 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  23:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wood told the truth. Some of those teams may never play in a wood bat tournament again due to the real results.

I think that for every 3-4 tournaments, especially at the younger levels, throw 1 wood bat tourney in. Show them what real baseball is, plus I think they are fun to watch as it is something different than a slug fest.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  10:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RUSemiPro

quote:

quote:

I think that for every 3-4 tournaments, especially at the younger levels, throw 1 wood bat tourney in. Show them what real baseball is, plus I think they are fun to watch as it is something different than a slug fest.

True. The game becomes too boring for those who are used to seeing a slugfest.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000