New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  09:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa's advice is that you don't miss the Forsyth Slugfest. Good tournament in a great venue and many good places to stay. Bandits make this one a priority every year and I hope that it is on the top of our list for 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  11:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the AAU State is typically the same weekend as the Triple Crown State, too. Teams usually wait to see which team has the better competition in it before committing.

In Feb and early March, you almost have to sign up for a tournament every weekend and hope you get a couple in. The weather is so variable that you just don't know what weekends will be playable.

Sign up for the TC/USTBA Feb 26th, Slugfest or USSSA WS Qualifier (if you are AAA) March 5th, Nations Baseball tournament March 12th, and TC March Mayhem 3/19 and hope for a couple of these to actually be played out.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 11/10/2009 12:18:10
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  14:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbfan31

problem with USSSA is they don't check rosters. Tm Ga played this weekend with a Bandits pitcher from a 11u Major team and wasn't on their roster. I thought with USSSA you had to have a current online roster, and a major player could not play on a AAA team.

Just win, baby.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  14:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a major can play on a AAA team or any other team..the team classifies the player not vice versa..i guess we need lomax to come explain all of this again.
yes it all seems hard to believe but i have had and seen major players play in nit tourneys on AA or AAA teams..yes some people complain but it is within the usssa rules. You are what your playing with at that time.
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  17:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

[quote]Originally posted by bbfan31

problem with USSSA is they don't check rosters. Tm Ga played this weekend with a Bandits pitcher from a 11u Major team and wasn't on their roster. I thought with USSSA you had to have a current online roster, and a major player could not play on a AAA team.

Unless USSSA has changed the rules, rosters and classes are all open in the fall. So, moving kids around a lot is within the rules. I suppose it provides the opportunity for a team to pad their points total in the fall, if that's important to them. For our team, we needed to pick up kids from time to time just to be able to play this fall. I think that's why the rules are set up that way.
Go to Top of Page

kbuck

33 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  17:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is not true. Once your team is "qualified" and you are on that roster when it was frozen then that sets your class for the year. If you are being told different then you better check with someone else. Oh, these are USSSA rules by the way. If your team is a major team and they are qualified then those players cannot play down on AAA or AA teams.
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  08:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kbuck

That is not true. Once your team is "qualified" and you are on that roster when it was frozen then that sets your class for the year. If you are being told different then you better check with someone else. Oh, these are USSSA rules by the way. If your team is a major team and they are qualified then those players cannot play down on AAA or AA teams.

Even in the fall? I didn't think you even had to submit an official roster in the fall for USSSA.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  09:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call me if you have question regarding "frozen rosters". I will be glad to take your call and help you in anyway i can. 678-467-2172 (Bubba Smith)
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  10:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys the only way your team is frozen is if you win a Super NIT in the fall. As of April 1st all rosters are frozen and then you can only pick up three players after that date. Now once April 1st comes whoever is on that roster is frozen to that team until then you can jump around and play with any team at any time and AA, AAA and major means nothing to an individual player.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kbuck:
I disagree. Here's an example...Johnny, a 11u Major player plays for a Major team in the Forsyth Slugfest March 5th 2010 (which not a Super NIT tourney), and Johnny's team qualifies. (B-T-W, in '09, 10U open class Forsyth Slugfest 21 of 27 qualified!).

Johnny is NOT frozen to that 11u Major team at that moment (because its not a SNIT tourney, and its still prior to April 1st). Johnny has until April 1st to move to another team, Major or AAA (but not AA because a player can't drop down 2 classes). His new team has to abide by the rules found in 3.12 prior to adding Johnny.

I would not wait till April 1st though to make the move, or cut it close at all, because roster changes can take several days to become official in USSSA's main database computer in Kissimmee. This time lag is why they say "what we all see on-line is unofficial".

Now, let's say Johnny stays with that same Major team beyond April 1st. Now he's frozen to that 11u Major team...unless his team disbands. Then, he can move laterally to another team in the same class (not AAA, or AA see rule 3.18) by getting "added" to that teams roster so long as that team abides by the rules found in 3.12.

If a player qualifies w/ a team prior to April 1st, and stays on that roster beyond April 1st, he's stuck there. Or, if he doesn't play at all until after April 1st, then qualifies, he is immediately stuck. Or, if you don't play any usssa until the Super NIT, and your team qualifies, your are stuck.

BBFAN31:
100% correct! Don't expect USSSA to check ANYTHING. They see it as the Coaches jobs to self-police EVERYTHING. If a Head Coach coach see's a USSSA rule infraction, and he is very confident of it, he is call time out, give the Head Umpire $100 cash, state he is protesting the game, state his case citing the rule # being broken, and the illegal player's #. If you win the protest,the game is over and you win, and the $100 will be immediately returned to you. If you lose, you forfeit the $100, and play continues. I've been involved in both scenario's.

quote:
Originally posted by kbuck

Go to Top of Page

kbuck

33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  14:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. I used the wrong word. I meant to say frozen not qualified. Sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  15:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took advantage of the phone number that Mr. Smith gave and called him. He is the Tournament Operations Director for the State of Georgia. He is a heck of a nice guy and can answer any question you may have. USSSA is the only youth organization that has a classification and ranking system. Many of the organizations use the AA, AAA and major classification that USSSA provides. He's not going to come on this site and sling mud but he will answer questions and vowed to check this site from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  16:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whits and 10BB got it right
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  19:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had two play with a major team that did not qualify after playing in multiple Super NIT's. One of them won the USSSA State. They were both invited to play in the Elite 24 for a team that had qualified. No issues even though the roster was frozen. You can make changes up to 72 hours before the tournament.
Go to Top of Page

kbuck

33 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  00:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nations Baseball has a classification system and rankings as well.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oldmanmj: You had no issues only because no opposing coach protested. Contrary to popular belief, USSSA does not police all this, its up to the Coaches. You got lucky, and could have been sent home very disappointed. Yes, players can be added up to 72 hours beforehand, but there are 4 conditions that added player must meet (see rule 3.12.B.1-4). By your son winning a State tourney, he became frozen to that teams roster, and was ineligible to join another team at the same age group to play in the Elite 24. Had an opposing Coach noticed it, and protested, he would have won, and that game would have been forfeited.

A player becomes frozen when his team "qualifies". "Qualifies" has 3 meanings:

1) most common meaning is that a team played in a local qualifier and did well enough to "qualify" for that age groups/classifications World Series (which 90% of teams never attend). This is 1 way to freeze players to teams, and know this: most usssa tourneys are this type of qualifier, and you don't need to win to qualify. You can come in 4th of 8 teams and qualify, thus freezing your son to that team come April 1st (if you qualified by playing prior to April 1st) and if your son remains on that roster, or he is immediately frozen if he qualifies after April 1st.

2) "Qualifying" also means qualifying to play States. Teams typically need to qualify to play States by winning or coming in 2nd at a sub-state tourney. There are multiple sub-state tourneys you can attend over a 3 week time span in June to try to qualify for States. These sub-state tourneys also immediately freeze your son to that team if the team qualifies for States since these sub states are all held after April 1st.

3) The 3rd meaning of "qualifying" is winning a Super NIT to qualify for the Elite 24 World Series at Disney. This also immediately freezes your son to that team (rule 3.09.C).

quote:
Originally posted by oldmanmj

I have had two play with a major team that did not qualify after playing in multiple Super NIT's. One of them won the USSSA State. They were both invited to play in the Elite 24 for a team that had qualified. No issues even though the roster was frozen. You can make changes up to 72 hours before the tournament.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  10:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick Cosper:
There are a lot of Coaches and Dad's on this posting board who do not have the proper understanding of the usssa rules. Why not have a meeting 1X/yr in a central location (South ATL burbs) for Coaches/parents to attend? Charge a few bucks to offset the cost. These complex rules require explanation/interpretation.

I know the rules and players well enough, that if I wanted to, after April 1st, I could protest ineligible players on nearly every team we play, win the protest, make them forfeit, and send them home. Coaches don't know the rules, or are knowingly breaking them CONSTANTLY. Most don't know the rules. Very few are knowingly breaking them in my opinion.

We inform the opposing coach of his infraction and give him the chance to remove that player from his roster before the start of the game. If he doesn't, we WILL protest, and take the W.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser, you are correct about the 72 hours and a kid must be released from one frozen roster before he can be added to another. The bottom line is this, with over 3,000 teams registered USSSA in Georgia it is impossible to check every teams roster every day. Coach's have there own user id and password to make changes to there roster and the roster system is used everyday. We do leave it up to the coach's to police there own teams roster and the teams they are playing against. (if they so desire) I coached travel ball for years and played lots of USSSA ball and i never went into a game with out first checking the other teams roster to make sure they were leagel. Please understand that there is nothing wrong with that. You have to play by the rules, why shouldn't the next guy and trust me fellows, some people will cheat.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  11:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why would you qualify to play in a state tournament..most are all open for anyone to register for
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  18:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Partially correct. To play in States at a particular age and a certain class, you have to qualify in a sub-state tourney (or get a deal from a USSSA official which I feel undermines the entire process...but it happens).

"Open" is a term that refers to a tourney that allows any classification to compete at the same age group. So far as I know, no qualifying criteria apply.

quote:
Originally posted by teddy41

why would you qualify to play in a state tournament..most are all open for anyone to register for

Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  06:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no such thing as an "open" State Tournament as all teams have to play in class but yes we have given atlarge bids in order to complete the field. Those bids always go to a teams that has played sub-state events and just fell short of making it. However, i for one have never been crazy about the sub-state format. Look for some changes in the USSSA post season format for 2010. If it works out, i think teams will like it much better.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  06:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser
I like the idea of having a rules meeting for coach's. However Rick Cosper (although a dear friend of mine) works for Nations Baseball and i don't think would have an interest in doing a USSSA meeting. I am going to give that some thought and see if i can make it happen. Timing and locations would be key.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  11:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by open i meant that if you pay entry fee you can usually get in..all organizations now let anyone in so to keep the money in house. Last year triple crown gave a bid to every team in the field
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  11:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shouldnt coaches learn the rules via a rule book or having played baseball? Dad's do not need to know the rules, they need to cheer their team.

Edited by - teddy41 on 11/13/2009 12:10:58
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  11:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We won a fall Super NIT AAA, is my roster froze? I was told by the tournament director that it is not froze. We had submit an online roster.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000