General Discussion
 Lag time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  12:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a question. Why is there such a lag time between posts at times? There are times I post and don't see an update for hours. There are times since the last post you see nothing for hours and then there are 3 or 4 posts that have come out since the last post. Makes it a little hard to follow and sometimes there is redundancy since others have replied to a topic and addressed the issue that you don't know about when you reply.

Just wondering if things can go a little quicker. Thanks.

tombstone

30 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  13:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just change your name to Bmoser or Baseballpapa and everything you post gets posted as soon as you submit it. I think they are in the moderators pocket.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  14:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will leave the detailed answer up to Stan, but the posts go through a moderator to ensure there are not objectionable material being presented. A couple of years ago, the board was open to real-time posts, and a lot of entries got too heated and too personal.

Because this is a free site, there is not a paid resource to moderate the entries. Someone has to get to them while doing their "Paid" job.

I hope this helps to briefly explain things. I am sure Stan can provide addition details or corrections.
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have proven several times in the past that the forums cannot operate without every post being moderated. You would be amazed at the things that people will attempt to post. Posters will use the forums in an attempt to start a rumor, break up a team or seek revenge against a coach, team, parent or player. With controls in place, spammers still make 50-100 attempts to post every day. Some posts require other people to read them that are familiar with certain situations to see if someone is trying to slip something inappropriate through. I get hate email because I won't post certain things. It takes 2-3 hours a day to moderate the forums and it is my contribution to the baseball community. I still work, own a couple of businesses and give baseball lessons. Sometimes I have to travel which causes longer delays. If I am out of the office, I will make a quick check and moderate simple things and leave others for later.

All that being said, I wish that the forum could just be a free form method of conversation. But each time that we have opened them up it has only taken a day or two before they had to be shut down. I get to them as fast as my schedule will allow and it is just the price we have to pay for the minority who won't behave.

On another note, some posts do not get through that are appropriate and the poster has no ill intentions. But from the experience of seeing all posts attempted, their topic or comment will create a firestorm that gets out of control so it is just better to let some sleeping dogs lie. So those of you that don't see something show up that you posted, don't take offense, it is all the other stuff you don't see posted that is the reason.

As long as I have rambled on this long, I will say one other thing. The only reason I do this is the love of the game of baseball and the positive impact I have seen it make on countless kids over the decades I have been involved. I do not care what park, team, association or any other entity is involved as it is only the window dressing. The common denominator is a kid with a baseball in his hands and a dream.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  16:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan, thanks for all you do.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  17:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the great work. The baseball community appreciates it.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan, I understand and appreciate all that you do. This is a great site and when things get going, it kind of takes the steam out of some good discussions to wait so long. Not complaining. Just commenting. Like I said, I understand the need to moderate.

Maybe you are taking on too much yourself. There is another site I go to where there are individuals assigned as moderators for each topic/category of topics. Maybe there are some on here who could volunteer to moderate an age group or category. It would have to be someone you trust, but I'm sure it would be good to take so much off your plate.

I know this is your baby, just making a suggestion.

For all you do, Stan, this one's for you. Good job. Appreciate you providing all of us the opportunity to share our views on the sport we love.
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  18:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bballman,
I was writing an email to you when I saw your last post and decided to answer it publicly. I responded to your question because it has been a long time since the moderation process was explained. In no way was my response a rebuttal to your post, but an opportunity to respond on the forums. I frequently respond to emails asking the same question.

The other part of your response about spreading the work is a good one. We tried that once in the past and it didn't work out because of conflicts with coaching, but we have a lot more people involved now. I am working on a couple of things that will speed up the information flow in some areas that will hopefully be functioning before the spring season starts. Although I wasn't ready to make any announcements or ask for assistance I will go ahead and give people advance notice. In early January I am going to hold an open meeting for anyone interested in becoming involved with the web site and the development of methods of improving communication in our baseball community. So between now and then those of you that enjoy organizing, teaching, etc give some serious thought to participating so that when I announce a date and location you are ready to jump on-board.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  19:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stan: You do a great job and I for one appreciate all of your hard work and thank you for the time you spend working with the kids. I can tell you from experience that it is time well spent and although it can be frustrating at times, in the end it will always be a blessing.

As one who has many posts that has not quite been up to standard I appreciate the delay and the moderation you do because most of the time when you do not post what I write after I have time to give it more thought I am glad that you didn't post it.

Thank you for providing this great site for people that love the game of youth baseball.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan
Thanks for what you do for youth baseball in Georgia. I'm new to the site and am enjoying it thus far.

Bubba Smith
Georgia USSSA Baseball
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  21:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other posting boards I have seen are very nasty, and lack decorum.
I'd rather be right here...making friends and learning. I know the moderators schedule better than he does! This will get posted about 2250 hours tonight.

Edited by - bmoser on 11/19/2009 21:59:03
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  22:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See moser: Stan has already speeded up by posting your post at 21:59. I love high tech and high speed. Stan is almost as fast as the Bandits.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  07:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did that on purpose :(

Posted by moderator at 21:59
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

The other posting boards I have seen are very nasty, and lack decorum.
I'd rather be right here...making friends and learning. I know the moderators schedule better than he does! This will get posted about 2250 hours tonight.

Edited by - bmoser on 11/20/2009 08:52:48
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this doesnt mean he'll be increasing his pay rate, you know he hasn't increased it in as long as I can recall :)

Special thanks to the moderator's family for putting up with him doing all this.

Isn't it crazy that usssa didnt even know about the States best youth baseball posting board for all this time? TC's been plugged in for a while now, which says a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa

See moser: Stan has already speeded up by posting your post at 21:59. I love high tech and high speed. Stan is almost as fast as the Bandits.

Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  10:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan, during this season especially, it's good to give thanks to those who show selflessness and extend themselves on behalf of the kids. Thank you for doing that for my son and all the other kids that play this great game. Thanks to the countless others whom I only know by their tag names on these posts who also work on behalf of the kids and the game !

Stan, back to you, thank you as well for sensitizing me to the nuances of managing these posts / threads. I have been one of the fella's whom has had numerous posts / comments blocked. I have never, and would never slander nor demean any kid. That's just wrong...however, I will respond to posts / comments that I read with honesty. Sometimes the truth hurts and may be viewed as being inflammatory, for that I will apologize. It's just hard for an old ball player, parent & coach to sit idly by and listen and hear so many "untruths" be posted. There are times when I perhaps may express my opinion with a dash of too much passion, but that's only because I'm passionate about this game and what it does for our kids....it may also be because I'm a hot blooded Irishman whom also enjoys a good " donnybrooke" !!!

Once again, thanks for everything you and this blog does for the game and the kids !!!!
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  12:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the moderator in between if it keeps the board going. I have not met you guys in person but I enjoy the back and forth with everyone. The GGBL site shut their board down. Living in Gwinnett it would be more relevant to me but things got really ugly with vicious post and adult spam.

I have noticed that a lot more posters on this board are putting their real name on their profile. Perhaps if you sign you post Stan may only give your post a causal glance and post it sooner since we all will know the real person behind the post.

BTW: I appreciate anyone who read my long-winded post.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  14:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Stan. Got you a lot of praise by bringing up my initial post. You don't need to thank me :) Seriously, don't think I was criticizing. Really just saying I like this board enough that it is hard to wait to banter with these guys sometimes. I knew before I wrote that posts needed to be moderated. I have been around long enough to remember the other times when there was no moderation and things needed to be slowed down. Maybe I was just giving you a backhanded compliment. Anyway, keep up the good work. I know you have done a lot here as well as out on the playing field.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000