New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  17:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's obviously no right or wrong path here. Everyone's got a story about a kid that ragged his arm out playing baseball 12 months of the year or about a kid that broke or tore something playing football. These kids will get hurt doing anything whether it be sports or goofing off with friends in their spare time. If a kid wants to play football(or any other fall sport) they should be allowed to at least give it a whirl. I would hate for my son to say to me when he is older that he wishes he could have had the chance to participate in a different fall sport.

As for team success, it seems that in the 2010 10u-13u age groups that the top teams from last season are consistently either not active or are only playing in one or two select tournaments. Not to say that this is the formula for success for the individual player but it seems to be working for the team as a whole. I think most dads(and moms) really have their son's best interest at heart when making these decisions. It's the few nutjobs that stand out that cause most of the debates.
Go to Top of Page

da97076

10 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  23:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at these posts from another blog about this topic.

http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6616002781/m/532106262/p/2
Go to Top of Page

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  07:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stickman316

What about throwing w/ weighted balls?

Baseballs are already too heavy for young players why throw a weighted ball before puberty, only gonna destroy the arm quicker. Maybe at 13 14 but never before that. May not show the damage today but it wont help using it now.
Go to Top of Page

mikewells

45 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  13:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks here's the truth from personal experience , the 411 on multi sport athlets : it makes them better all sports !

Specific muscles get rest , other muscles get stronger by the cross training, and intensity rebuilds from playing the other sports.

If you want to focus one sport then have fun but beware of overuse physical and burnout mental by those under 18 years of age.

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  18:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, weighted balls need to be used very carefully. Most times the additional weight forces bad mechanics, which brings on another set of problems. Long tossing, with a regular ball develops arm strength using the mechanics they will need regularly.
Go to Top of Page

sgates

48 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct bmoser...football is not for everyone, I'll just leave it at that!
Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  16:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Let them play. Good lord, we worry about little Johnny's arm falling off. But if he wants to play then let him play. The talent seems to be coming from the south and they play year round. I live in Cincy. It is too cold to play in the fall and winter. My father in law is a former MLB player and scout. He says take your kid south if he wants to be really good and if he wants to play year round. So I am thinking of moving close to Papa or to Vero.

I'm just saying too.....

quote:
Originally posted by bambino_dad

quote:
Safety Precaution, that's always the excuse for not playing football or any other sport and playing fall baseball. If you want the facts ask Dr. James Andrews what he thinks about year round baseball.

While he is an unquestioned expert, Dr. James Andrews has been wrong before about arms and injuries. My question is how is it that Florida, California, Texas, and Caribbean kids can play year round - every year - and not have this discussion? People talk about how these are hotbeds of baseball and baseball talent. Uh, maybe it's because they play year round?

I'm just saying...

Edited by - kingofthehill on 10/21/2009 19:28:58
Go to Top of Page

justin case

57 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  22:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nike wells if that is the case how do you explain all the major league off springs that are in the major and all they did was play baseball, ken griffey, barry bonds etc.
Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  10:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa have you read this? Illinios has more MLB players than Georgia. And Ohio is not far behind. And look, Pennsylvania and NY are on there too. Where did this come from? I gotta read more. I am going to have fun with this for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

MLB players who were active from 2004 to 2009. These are all players, not just pitchers, but I'd say this would be reflective of pitchers as a group... More from warmer climate's.
A Total of 2447 Players Found
State Count Percentage
Other Countries 668 27.3%
California 400 16.3%
Texas 165 6.7%
Florida 143 5.8%
Illinois 78 3.2%
Georgia 75 3.1%
New York 64 2.6%
Ohio 64 2.6%
Pennsylvania 47 1.9%
Louisiana 39 1.6%

Go to Top of Page

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  11:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will play devils advocate here, I can name a bunch of multi sport athletes in or were in the MLB, Carl Crawford, Daryl Strawberry, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Jackie Robinson, Tony Gwynn, Mark Hendrickson, not to name a bunch of others that play in the NBA or NFL that could have chosen baesball instead. I think any of these guys you named though could have been great in other sports too, Bonds, Griffey, and others. An athlete will excel in whatever sport you put them if they work at it. Enjoyment is the key to all of this I dont care what the age.
Go to Top of Page

mikewells

45 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  14:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justin case

nike wells if that is the case how do you explain all the major league off springs that are in the major and all they did was play baseball, ken griffey, barry bonds etc.

The players you give names for are premier athletes and I am sure they could have played many other sports well maybe even at the professional level.

Im not convinced they didnt play other sports as that would be very unusual.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000