General Discussion
 What do you want from a tournament?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ljames

48 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  22:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all have been to many tournaments and seen things done many different ways. Some things we may have liked and not liked some others. What are some of the things you have seen done in tournaments that you liked? What are some of the things you would like to see done at tournaments?

I really like that Hardcore Baseball (HB Events) has 3 umpires on the field for championship games.

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  11:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
• Saturday/Sunday only tournaments should be the standard. If you have that many teams that you need to play on Friday then add another field or reduce the number of teams. (I know that’s not practical but you asked).
• Drag the fields after every game.
• 2 hour games for 14U and higher (why is it that the only people getting paid dictates how long the games last).
• Reasonable gate fees (I don’t mind paying gates for High School fields but I hate paying them for county parks).
• Swapping plate umpires each game.
• No more trophies past 13U. By then most of us have enough plastic at home (mine are for 2nd place but who cares by then). It would help reduce the cost.

Go to Top of Page

Storm Baseball

212 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  12:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of my pet peeves:

- fields not dragged between games.
- tournament director not available.
- tournament website not up to date.
- pitching used not displayed for all to see.
- umpires starting game time after coin flip and not on first pitch.
- when other fields are not available to warm up on, not given ample time to warm up a starting pitcher.

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  13:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the Fri night games, if they would not schedule games on Sun morning. Give people a chance to go to church. I don't even mind games starting on Thur night, as long as they remember that parents and coaches actually have jobs and cannot get off and there for a 4:30 game.

I agree with Bill on swapping plate umps each game, and no more trophies for the older kids. I would say 12U should be the last year.

Good competiton makes up for field, gate, and game time issues for me.

If people think they are getting a good return on their money, then they will be a lot more forgiving on some things that are not perfect.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  14:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we all know they play friday games only to collect more gate fee's. All tourneys should also be 4game guarantee as the object is to play games and let kids learn. It is a pain toshow up for 1 game on any day and it makes your job of getting players into games much easier if you know your getting 2 games.
Go to Top of Page

gabandit

25 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  16:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with most here, dragging fields, lining fields, start game time on first pitch... but to add one: When the game before yours runs over, the umpires should set the start time for the next game before leaving the field. I can't stand when I ask specifically before they leave for their parking lot break and they say "15 minutes" and then they don't show back up for 25... or try to rush you on without anytime to warm up at all...
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  19:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are going to have games on Friday, look at where the teams are from and schedule the teams from the farthest away later. I have had to race to Huntsville to play a 6:00 pm game on a Friday night, while ALL the Alabama teams didn't play until Saturday. I agree with all the above. Try this out: Let the coaches rate the umpires each game. Don't invite him back the next day if he gets below a certain score. All too often, an umpire or crew ruins a tournament. Rotate their partners every game, don't leave them on the same field everyday.
Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  08:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good points already covered.

A couple of things on off the top.

NO GATE FEES..this slows access to the playing fields and why should it cost a larger family more to see their kid play? Charge every team a fee and be done with it. Nobody has to work the gates and no gaggle at the enterance

Web-Sites not being up dated.....schedules sent to managers but not posted forfor all to see.

Some folks like to keep up with other teams
for alot of different reasons
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  11:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
team gate fee's kill your team budget as a coach..you plan on $400 for a tourney and then all of sudden its another $150 for a gate fee.

Parents never want to give that back to the team and you cant budget tourneys at $650 or you cant keep cost down.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  14:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do I want from a tournament?

No rain which seems to be an impossibility lately
Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  16:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like a tourney were the TD has done his home work on the teams and he makes an effort to even out the pools as best as possible. I live in Cincy and we come south some and would like to not play the early game on Friday. I also like tourney's where birth certificates are monitored early and do not rely on a protest. BC seem to grow on trees in the south. Like diplomas at FSU. I like tourney's that are not controled by the USSSA mafia. Their roster program has more loop holes than an accountant on crack. And I hate gate fees. They slow you down at the gate while they milk 7 bucks out of grandma who left her purse and hearing aid in the car.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For once, clean restrooms would be nice !
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  08:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want a tournament with no time limit on games. For heaven sakes the games are only 6 innings and last time i check there is no shot clock.... The game was meant to be decided on the field during the alloted amount of innings w/o a clock. This would keep teams from stalling and let the game be decided by the kids and the kids only.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000