General Discussion
 Naval Academy Baseball Camp?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  15:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else sending their rising 8/9/10th grader to the Naval Academy Baseball Camp this summer?

Anyone send their kid in the past? How was it?

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A camp is a fundraiser. Unless he wants to join the Navy, google another camp. Every college has 1 or 12.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  07:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseballcrazymom

A camp is a fundraiser. Unless he wants to join the Navy, google another camp. Every college has 1 or 12.

It's not a recruitment camp, which I agree are fundraisers, it's an actual camp. It's 4 days of sleeping in the Naval Academy dorms, eating in their mess hall, attending leadership seminars, and physical training while learning/reviewing baseball skills. They do have a recruitment camp for 11th and 12th graders, but that isn't this.
Go to Top of Page

bballguy15

63 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  07:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

Anyone else sending their rising 8/9/10th grader to the Naval Academy Baseball Camp this summer?

Like Crazy Mom said, every college camp is mainly a fundraiser for the program. A close friend of mine coaches at a local university and regularly has 150-200 kids come to their camp. Only about 5% every really get interest from the college. With that being said though, the best way to be seen by a college is to attend their summer camps. All of their coaches are at that camp and have full attention on the camp. So if the kid wants to go to the Naval Academy, the best place for him to be seen by the Naval Academy is at their camp.
Go to Top of Page

bballguy15

63 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  11:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a great camp for personal character building that also has baseball involved. It sounds like it is a 100% fundraiser, but I would be willing to send my 13/14/15 year old kid to get that kind of experience. Good character building camp.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A camp is a camp.....you pay a fee and get the benefits of attending right? Someone can call it a fund raiser, but what difference does that part of it make? Maybe it is a fundraiser, but would that lessen the benefits?
I have seen many camps I would love for my kid to attend.....surely this would be a good one. I like the mental training!
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  23:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

quote:

A camp is a camp.....you pay a fee and get the benefits of attending right? Someone can call it a fund raiser, but what difference does that part of it make? Maybe it is a fundraiser, but would that lessen the benefits?
I have seen many camps I would love for my kid to attend.....surely this would be a good one. I like the mental training!

I think that people are making a point of distinction between "camps" and serious recruiting opportunities.

Many people will attend an open, cattle call camp with an expectation that it's a showcase/recruiting event when it really isn't. Some colleges will "disguise" a camp as a recruiting event when, in fact, it is intended to be nothing more than a fundraiser. Most college coaches keep the revenue generated from these camps (as written into their contracts), so they will try and get as many attendees for their own personal gain. Nothing wrong with this and, as you state, most will walk away with a great experience and some value.

However, if your intent is to showcase yourself with a legitimate chance of getting a scholarship or walk-on, then you may be seriously disappointed. It's not uncommon at all for parents to try and determine what is a legitimate recruiting opportunity vs what is a fantasy camp.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  08:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

I think that people are making a point of distinction between "camps" and serious recruiting opportunities.

Many people will attend an open, cattle call camp with an expectation that it's a showcase/recruiting event when it really isn't. Some colleges will "disguise" a camp as a recruiting event when, in fact, it is intended to be nothing more than a fundraiser. Most college coaches keep the revenue generated from these camps (as written into their contracts), so they will try and get as many attendees for their own personal gain. Nothing wrong with this and, as you state, most will walk away with a great experience and some value.

However, if your intent is to showcase yourself with a legitimate chance of getting a scholarship or walk-on, then you may be seriously disappointed. It's not uncommon at all for parents to try and determine what is a legitimate recruiting opportunity vs what is a fantasy camp.

The word "camp" seems to be causing the issue.

There are recruitment camps, that may or may not be a fundraiser. That may or may not get you recruited for that next level team.

Then there are CAMPS that are affiliated with the boy scouts where you sit by a CAMP fire and learn nature skills while having daily swim lessons purely for fun and education.

My opinion is that this Naval Academy Camp is a CAMP that is purely for fun similar to the boy scout camp, but instead of nature skills and burning marshmallows on the fire, they are learning baseball and leadership skills.

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  16:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the know is right about this. First of all, all camps are fundraisers.

The question becomes what are the parent's and player's expectations of these camps. If it is to learn some fundamentals, play some baseball, get to know what it's like to practice under a college coach - it could very well be worth the money. If it is to be recruited by that school's camp, you could be very disappointed - or you could be very happy. It all depends on how good of a player your son is and how his skills match up with the school's needs AND whether or not the school views this camp as a true camp or as an opportunity to recruit players. Some schools recruit some players out of these camps, some do not. Some schools invite players they have seen or heard about to come to the camps so they can get a closer look at them, some schools just go watch them play at Perfect Game and don't get recruiting and camps mixed up in the same bowl of soup.

Do your research - as I think CaCO3Girl was trying to do here. Maybe find out if the school has anyone on their roster that attended their camps. Find out ahead of time from the coaches if they are looking for any particular players and let them know your son will be there - or better yet, have your son do that. And even better, have your travel team coach let the coaches know the player will be there and what his strengths are.

If you are just wanting to go to learn some baseball, you probably won't be disappointed. If you are going as a possible recruiting vehicle, chances are you will be disappointed - unless and sometimes, even if, you do your homework first and go in with realistic expectations.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  17:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't misunderstand what CaCO3girl was talking about at all..but I can see why others may have.
Anywho, I checked it out online and it looks very inviting! I like it and cant wait to see how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  08:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your kid has a "dream" school and wants to pursue baseball there, i would focus my funds on camps at that school. Attendance at their camp does NOT correlate with a guarenteed offer later but it does show interest in their program. It could open doors with communicating later on when he is of age and on the radar if they know him already. Camps are fundraisers and the proceeds usually assist with paying volunteer coaches to some extent among other things. If your kid wants to a camp, send him....let him get out and be around other kids without parents hovering about...it will help him grow up. My $.02
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  07:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most people misinterpreted me. First, my kid is in 8th grade, I don't care if he's running a 6.5 and throwing 90mph I don't think a military academy is going to be offering to an 8th grader. Secondly, his grades are not military academy grades. I am actually looking for this to be simply a summer camp with zero expectations of it having anything to do with his next level of baseball.

My original question was to see if anyone else had any experience with the camp, as in could offer any advice. i.e. when going to Cooperstown we offer the advice of bringing a box fan, or popular pin types, or bring a wiffle ball and bat....sorry for the mass confusion, I just wanted to know if anyone had a good or bad experience at the camp, as in for those 4 days, not if anything ever came from it other than a good experience.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  06:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think most people misinterpreted me. First, my kid is in 8th grade, I don't care if he's running a 6.5 and throwing 90mph I don't think a military academy is going to be offering to an 8th grader. Secondly, his grades are not military academy grades. I am actually looking for this to be simply a summer camp with zero expectations of it having anything to do with his next level of baseball.

My original question was to see if anyone else had any experience with the camp, as in could offer any advice. i.e. when going to Cooperstown we offer the advice of bringing a box fan, or popular pin types, or bring a wiffle ball and bat....sorry for the mass confusion, I just wanted to know if anyone had a good or bad experience at the camp, as in for those 4 days, not if anything ever came from it other than a good experience.

Thats what I thought B..........I am interested to see how it goes. It sure looked good from the little bit of research I did...........Maybe you guys will have to be the first to give us a review
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  13:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update, my kid LOVED the Naval Academy Camp. Many of the kids were local and about AA low AAA level. It was instructional, fun, the coaches all joked around with the kids and the obstacle course was awesome. They had papa-johns delivered to the dorm every night, they swam in the middle of the day and at no point in time was it a recruitment camp. There were even some special needs kids that attended to work on their baseball skills, and only one fist fight broke out, LOL! Well they did have 152 8th-10th graders in a confined space it was bound to happen.

He said it was really great and he SOOOOO wants to go again next year to see if he can beat his HR derby score, which was apparently done with a Tennis ball about 100 feet from the fence. Was it a fundraiser for the Navy...yeah, I'm sure they made money off of it, but it sounds to me like it was a kids camp.
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  11:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Update, my kid LOVED the Naval Academy Camp. Many of the kids were local and about AA low AAA level. It was instructional, fun, the coaches all joked around with the kids and the obstacle course was awesome. They had papa-johns delivered to the dorm every night, they swam in the middle of the day and at no point in time was it a recruitment camp. There were even some special needs kids that attended to work on their baseball skills, and only one fist fight broke out, LOL! Well they did have 152 8th-10th graders in a confined space it was bound to happen.

He said it was really great and he SOOOOO wants to go again next year to see if he can beat his HR derby score, which was apparently done with a Tennis ball about 100 feet from the fence. Was it a fundraiser for the Navy...yeah, I'm sure they made money off of it, but it sounds to me like it was a kids camp.

Very cool B,
Glad to hear T had a great time! I figured he would. How was the flight thing? You weren't skeered were you
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  19:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfriendly

quote:

Very cool B,
Glad to hear T had a great time! I figured he would. How was the flight thing? You weren't skeered were you

Okay I left it off of my original post, but since you asked...the flight out was great. I walked him to the gate, special pass for accompanying a child. Security checkpoint had multiple Lakepoint 16u players departing and the TSA agent said in a boring voice "remove your belts and shoes and place them in the bin, if you have any drinks throw them out, if you have any baseball equipment throw them out"....10+ kids freaked out, WHAT, HUH, WHAT....she started laughing and said "I'm just kidding, had to make sure you were paying attention."

The plane back *deep breath* 3 hours before my son was suppose to take off from Baltimore Southwest Airlines systems went down. It took awhile for me to make contact with an adult in Baltimore, but they finally got ahold of him at 1am and put him in a room with other kids with cots and food. They got him on the first flight out the next day but he did spend about 20 hours in their airport. I pretty much lost my mind, 13 year old, 700 miles away, no one with him, spent ALL his money at camp....yup lost my mind!

To hear him tell the story he was decked out in Naval Academy garb and felt silly not being able to get on the plane but he made friends with half an army unit, a cool kid from England traveling with his mom, there was this cute girl from St. Louis, they played karaoke in the Bose shop on the phones and then some lady in a uniform grabbed him at 1am and put him into "kid lockdown" and totally ruined his fun. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  00:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWESOME!! Sounds PERFECT!
I cant stop staring at my son......he is almost as tall as me now.....seems to grow everyday!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000