New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  16:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a situation over the weekend where in the last inning with the score 3-2 had a kid on second other team did a trick play. Had the pitcher turn and fake a throw to second infielders dive after the ball. Our kid who is new with us never even looked at me coaching third and just took off. I was hollering as loud as I could to stay on second. Anyway kid got out. Here is what bothered me the most about this play. It was the parents of the other team right behind me hollering for this kid to run. They where standing up hollering " run, run " and " go to third , go to third". I think it crosses a line when parents get involved in something like that. I am ok with trick plays but I have never ran one and don't see us ever running any.Just interested in ya'lls opinion.

bball-fan

89 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  22:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played a team last year where the parents on the 3rd base bleachers would yell "Go Back!" when our players rounded third. Our boys thought it was the coach and would turn around. It's pretty sad the extent some people go to.
Go to Top of Page

flowman2170

38 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree run a trick play if you like. i will never us this tatic. it does cross the line when the parents get involved. They should be proud that they helped a young baseball player feel humiliated. that shows alot of class for the parents.
Go to Top of Page

balldad

43 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  22:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trick plays are ok, but when the fans get involved to make it a trick play that is pushing it to far. What kind of ball team are these coaches running and what are they teaching there kids?
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  23:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever hear the term "bush league", well it sure applies to your example. Couple of things here, parents need to let the kids play the other kids, this is what they practice so hard during the week is to compete against other kids. there is no way you can teach a 10 year old the mental aspect of the game to the point where he can block out all the parents jabbing at him. Not fair to him or the spirit of the game, he is still trying to deal with fractions at school. The parents are plain wrong here and need to examine themselves as individuals, who would go so far as to trick and geer a little kid so they can somehow effect the outcome of a little kids baseball game. When I hear this stuff I get fired up. Coaches, coaches, coaches, what the heck are you teaching your players!!!!!! Absolutely nothing and you are taking a step backwards. The coaches should be put through the ringer on this junk too. I do not mind the traditional stuff like fakes to third then throw to first, etc... There is absolutely no need to disgrace the integrity of the game of baseball with this junk. man that stuff gets me heated. If i was the coach of the team it happened to i would seriously have a man to man conversation with the other coach on his perspective of the game of baseball. Any coach worth his salt will be able to control the parents of the kids of his team, if he can't he has no business coaching little minds. Sorry to rant again.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bush League if you ask me. Not the play but the parental involvement. Next time you play them wear their colors sit on their side and start ragging the umpire until they throw out their head coach.
Go to Top of Page

Goin Deep

140 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trick plays are ok, but not when the parents are "part" of the play...It is classless...Not sometimes--ALWAYS.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My feeling is if it's done when players are young, it's wrong and unsportsmanlike. If done when their older, then still in poor taste but not as bad. Sounds like opposing coach orchestrated it with his players and his parents. That coach is also guilty of "winning at all cost" and turning his back on sportsmanship if the players are younger.

Tell your player that you guys must really be good if a team has to result to this type of strategy to beat you.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titan...what age group is this out of curiosity?
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not agree more. That is bush league by the parents of the other team. It is bad enough seeing a team run this bush play but for the parents to participate, that is way crossing the line.
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goyard:We are 10U

Edited by - Titan1 on 04/21/2009 09:02:35
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way when coaches talk across the field when kids are pitching...BUSH LEAUGE...There is a reason you have a coach on each base...And a 3rd base coach shouldn't talk across to the 1st base runner only when the kids is trying to pitch...And vice versa..These are kids that are on the field and it is amazing how some of these coaches try and get in their heads...
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you read any of my post you will find me over and over talking about coaches and parents that are in it for themselves and trophies....this is another example of terrible leadership and the bottom line is it doesn't make their kids better baseball players....I would be willing to bet that the coach and most of the parents played very little if any sports past little league....I have no problem with competing but this is very sad.....
Go to Top of Page

ingasven

120 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey goyard...were you thinking somebody needed to get one in the backside before he answered 10U?
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C. MORTON

I feel the same way when coaches talk across the field when kids are pitching...BUSH LEAUGE...There is a reason you have a coach on each base...And a 3rd base coach shouldn't talk across to the 1st base runner only when the kids is trying to pitch...And vice versa..These are kids that are on the field and it is amazing how some of these coaches try and get in their heads...

I never thought of that. I used to coach 3rd and wd talk to the runners on 1st because they were looking at me for signs. It was usually, "Watch the move.", or how many outs there were. Never even thought about trying to psyche a pitcher out. My opponents never said anything about it in 4 years.

Those parents in Titan's example are bush league. I heard something similar at a HS game and even thought that was pretty bush, but I guess I'm old school. 10 YO, no debate. That's bogus.

I know that the tone on this board is civil and rightly so, but I wouldn't mind teams like this being called out by name here. Shame is a powerful deterrent.

Edited by - AllStar on 04/21/2009 11:29:25
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think I would let my kid play for a team that does this kinda stuff. They are just kids playing a kids game. If parents want to play they got leagues for that.
Go to Top of Page

rock44melnix

110 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the talking at 3b is more in the lines of yelling across the field as the pitcher is in his motion; typically see the real bush league stuff for this when the pitcher is at his balance pt or nearing his release pt. I have come across several teams like this so far this season that do this and have also seen teams that will do this to the pitcher from the dug out. I think both are classless and really shows a low respect for the game.
Also played in a game this year where the parents and coaches (2 of the 4) spent the game making fun at and about kids on my team. Had the kids rattling and shaking the dug out fence, hollaring just when plays were being attempted as well as the pitcher was in his delivery. Coaches calling kids cry babies when they got hit by a pitch and cried as a result. Just top notch stuff to say about 10yr olds.
Heard over the weekend at one of the triple crown games of a great classless act as well. Batter hits a pop up in foul territory the fielder moves to get under it to make the catch and the a few kids start yelling "I got it" from the opposing team dugout where the popup was and the fielder backs away and the ball drops. Thankfully, the umpire made the call and declared the batter out for verbal interference. I would have loved to have seen the coach for that team to tell the ump he made a great call instead of arguing it.
None of us are perfect when it comes to setting the example and teaching respect for the opponent, game and umpires but stuff like this is just poor taste.
Go to Top of Page

momof2

7 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to good old fashioned sportsmanship? It's appalling that adults would behave this way. We cheer for our kids but we also will cheer for a great play made by the opposing team, ie: good hustle by the catcher, great snag by a 1st baseman, etc. When did it become all about winning at any cost. I feel sorry for the kids on that team.
Go to Top of Page

zbake

399 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On those situations, Simply turn around and address those parents on what a great job they did in this. I don't let my players address the other pitchers or batters. Cheer on your teammates absolutely but I do not tolerate if one of my players address the opposing pitcher or batter. That is just me.
Go to Top of Page

triple7

20 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been seeing travel ball for around 4 years. My child is 13u now at the age of 11 hes coach got us together as parents. He told us we aren't allowed to say anything to our child during the game at all unless it a nice wording about your child only. You aren't allowed to say a word about another team mate on our team or the other team we are playing. If you have a problem with me come tell me 24 hours later from the game time. I like that alot. I also have seen parents try coaching their players were to stand while they are in the field. That drives me crazy I saw it this past weekend at a 12u game. I think the team who is batting doesn't need to say a word. I have heard from my child some of the things some boys say to each other on the field. If you try to get them out from putting your team down to a name just to you. I understanding leaving it on the field. My sons team hes on now isn't allowed to say anything to a team mate if they miss a ball or make a bad play or they will sit out. If its heard by the 4 coaches. No questions asked. I wish he's pasted team did that rule.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  18:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inga...you hit the nail on the head
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  18:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not even address it to the other coach. There was one out when it happened and I still had to coach. I was so pissed I think steam came out of my ears.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  18:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YARD AND INGY I AGREE, someone needs to find the parents and coaches involved and have a little chat if you know what i mean. Getting parents involved in a trick play at 10U is something I would probably have a hard time not reacting physically. It doesnt get much worse than that. The coaches should be banned and something worse should happen to the parents. I would probably go public with what team pulled this stunt. There is a place for trick plays in baseball but not until 60-90. 10 U, the coaches need a talking to!
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  20:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replied earlier but i guess it was too harsh towards the people who were responsible for the bush league play. Ill leave the post to your imagination. For those of you who know me, you know it wasnt pretty
Go to Top of Page

CoachMark

216 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  07:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I do not advocate this type of conduct at all, let's be careful in how hard you come down on another team on this board unless you are 100% certain a event happened exactly as described. I have been in enough games to know that what parents on a team hear & observe, is not always what has actually happened. Rumors run rampant at ballparks concerning kids on other teams, relationships to umpires, coaches tactics, etc. I am constantly amazed at the imaginations of parents. And sometimes, these rumors get reported on this site that are just not factually correct.

While I am not saying this incident did not happen, it is also possible that in the craziness of a ballgame, people thought things happened didn't, were a coincidence, or were mis-interpreted somehow. Having said that, if a any coach convinces an entire group of parents to get in on a trick play for any age, then the parents and coaches of that team need to take a serious look at what they are teaching their kids.

quote:
"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
- Yogi Berra
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  09:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoachMark: I understand your concern for rumors and I can appreciate you looking at this unemotionally but it did happen just as I said. Where the opposing team parents sat was no more than 10-12 feet from me and directly behind third base.I do not know if it was a group of parents who let emotions take over them ( 3-2 game top of the sixth, runner on second, one out, their team had only one hit all game long, winner goes to the championship)or if it was a planned organized deceitful act by the parents and coaches.I lean to the side of planned organized deceitful act after the umpire telling me after the game that they had ran the same play twice earlier in the tournament.Hopefully it will backfire on them at some point.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000