New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  18:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunday morning skies were threatening in ATL's Southern burbs, so I asked as I pulled up to the pay window "if its rained out and we dont play any ball, do I get the $5 back?" The answer was "no". I let my son out right there at the gate, and watched him walk down the road until I saw him meet up with his teammates.

I wanted to wait it out for an hour to make sure the game would be played before I paid the non-refundable $5. Not the cash, just the principal. I returned an hour later, no rain, paid and watched my son play. I paid with mostly small denomination coins! Got the dirty look, and just smiled back.

Tourney promoters...this is a terrible policy. The answer should have been, yes, if no ball is played, we'll refund everybody who paid.

Its getting way out of hand IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Tball

142 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  20:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

They are in this to turn a profit just like any other buisness. I will pay whatever the gate fee is to see my son play the game he loves!!! I sure don't hear anyone complaining about paying $250 for a bat or the latest bat-bag or the $50 pullovers that all the teams have that they don't wear past April only to need a bigger size for next year. This is directed towards no post in general just my opinion. If I did not enjoy this level of ball, we would play rec ball... with no gate fees!
Go to Top of Page

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  23:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tball

They are in this to turn a profit just like any other buisness. I will pay whatever the gate fee is to see my son play the game he loves!!! I sure don't hear anyone complaining about paying $250 for a bat or the latest bat-bag or the $50 pullovers that all the teams have that they don't wear past April only to need a bigger size for next year. This is directed towards no post in general just my opinion. If I did not enjoy this level of ball, we would play rec ball... with no gate fees!

I agree with some for your comments but not all. Gate fees are a neccessary part of travel ball. We all hate to pay them but if our team has an event , we are sure glad to charge em. IMO the difference is the amount and if team is looking to raise money or if a business is looking to make a profit.

Travel ball is expensive, no question. But teams do have options as to how much it costs. The team budget is set at the beginning of the year. Most teams seem to have the parents involved in the overall cost by discussing things like type and # of uniforms, equipment bags to buy, etc. I believe more teams and parents will choice to enter tournaments with no gate fees or the option to pay for the gate with the entrance fee. I'm pretty tired of writing a check to the team at the start of the season and then be 'nickeled and dimed" with gate fees through the year. Folks, myself included, are going to remember the events that don't charge or have a reasonable fee. We play 20 bucks a day for the family to watch Jr. play and then spend another $20-30 on the concessions because coolers aren't allowed. In the past, these gate fees were the exception but today they are the rule.
Next year more discuss with be focused on the gate fee/ cooler issue in picking what events to attend.
Go to Top of Page

ingasven

120 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  08:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that there are varying opinions on this topic and really have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Hosting tournaments is, for some, their livelihood so I'll pass on advice given to me by the first man I ever worked for:

"Always remember, a pig gets fed, but a hog gets slaughtered."
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind paying for anything I get, I just don't like paying for anything I DON'T get. If a tourney is rained out Sunday morning and no games are played, gates should be refunded for that day, or at the least a credit pass for a future event.

Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  10:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gasbag, I do charge the brides momma and daddy, they wear flowers and they arent free. And I am quite certain that I have been missed. Im living in Vero now.
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

King - Lest ye forget that the same Mom's & Dad's that have to fork over the ( +- ) $ 1,000 to $ 3,000 / year to have their kid play travel ball are the same ones having to pay the gate fee ? If it was just the gate fees alone, I'd gladly pay them and then some....but getting jacked on top of it is "salt in the wounds"...especially in this economy !

It would kinda be like you charging the bride ( hypothetical here so bear with me ! ), $ 6,000 for the flowers for her wedding....then her parents show up for the wedding and King is at the doors to the church, charging admission to her parents to watch their baby girl get married !

Go ahead and admit it King....you missed me didn't ya ?

Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  10:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that idea. Went to TBIS two years in a row and pre bought tshirts and gate fees for the weekend and well got really wet. Dont think team got a refund. They do have a nice hotel there in Rockwood. It has a pool, just no water in it. Except from the rain.
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

I don't mind paying for anything I get, I just don't like paying for anything I DON'T get. If a tourney is rained out Sunday morning and no games are played, gates should be refunded for that day, or at the least a credit pass for a future event.

Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  15:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
King - Your gonna need to watch that pale skin getting scorched in the southern sun ! Hope you brought lots of shorts and those Hawaiin shirts ! Maybe we can hook you up with Don Johnson and you two can do a remake of Miami Vice !!!!!

Welcome to the south brotha....you're going to love it ! BTW, who's junior playing for ? Fla. is a hotbed of baseball, with lots of great teams and plenty of talent.

Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  11:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you asked who junior is playing with. It appears that in Florida if you are a pretty good player. You don't play for one team. You play for them all. We are having a blast;)

quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

King - Your gonna need to watch that pale skin getting scorched in the southern sun ! Hope you brought lots of shorts and those Hawaiin shirts ! Maybe we can hook you up with Don Johnson and you two can do a remake of Miami Vice !!!!!

Welcome to the south brotha....you're going to love it ! BTW, who's junior playing for ? Fla. is a hotbed of baseball, with lots of great teams and plenty of talent.

Go to Top of Page

Trainbaseball

7 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  16:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have a problem paying the gate fee but here in Alabama $7 per day $12 for a weekend is the norm. The issue I have is their no-refund policy on rainouts. Both seasons (summer and fall) last year were notorious for games being rained out. Why do parents have to shoulder the risk of paying for their familie(s) 2 day pass and then lose if Sunday games are cancelled? Team gate fees are even a worse idea as that money isnt refunded no matter if we just play one of the games in a 3 GG.
Go to Top of Page

USTBA08

121 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  01:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgia USTBA has charged the same gate fee for 4 years.

Our fees are as follows:

- Friday/Saturday Gate = $6 (if a team plays Friday & Saturday, their Friday gate pass is also valid on Saturday)
- Sunday Pass = $6 (Championship Day where all teams advance)
- Weekend Tournament Pass = $10 (Exception: Spring or Summer National/World Series. State Championships are $1 for daily & $2 more for weekend pass for a 4 game minimum)
- Under 14 FREE (we don't charge you to baby-sit your own children)
- Senior & Student Pass discounts of $1 a day or $2 off a weekend pass with a Student ID card or Seniors 65 years young.

Some facilities charge gate which Georgia USTBA receives none of. In this case, we are all at the mercy of the host facility. Some facilities even take a percentage of the gate income. Georgia USTBA has never benefited form any concession sales.

Even though we have seen rising cost over the last several years in umpire fees, award & baseball cost, facility usage charges, gas and many other items... our gate fee remains the same.

Georgia USTBA strives to provide Organized, Competitive, Unique Format Tournament Events while providing many Exciting Benefits like; Park Decorations including numerous flags, bunting and streamers which create an exciting atmosphere for the players, spectators and coaches - NFHS baseballs provided for ALL Games - Courteous, Dedicated, Helpful & Knowledgeable Staff - Extremely High Quality Awards... including Championship Rings - High Quality Officiating Crew... vast majority with NFHS certification - Pre Championship Ceremony - Post Championship Ceremony and many more benefits.

Why do we do all this?
Do we pay less for fields than other organzations? NO!
Do we pay less for umpires? NO!
Do we get baseballs for Free? NO!
Are our awards donated to us? NO!
Did we find all our park decorations in a back alley? NO!
Are our Pre & Post Ceremonies done for our benefit? NO!
Does our staff work for FREE? NO!
Do we hand players & coaches a box of awards and send them on their way? NO!

Then why do we do all we do? Mainly For The Players! But we also realize parents spend allot of money supporting their children in travel baseball and coaches spend countless volunteer hours coaching these young men and deserve to get something back for all their money & time. When time permits... we even provide fun activities and goodies for the siblings and give away many items including awards for participating. Wait till the day you participate in one of our events and a parents child boastly prances around the park with a medal around their neck. It makes it all worth the time, effort and money!

Maybe someone on this board could explain why there is so much complaining about what organizations DON'T DO, How much they charge and lack of consideration in scheduling and such... but continue to support and frequently play with them? I might be a little naive... but why not support the organizations that give and provide more Bang-For-The-Buck?

Anyway, All-In-All... "Baseball has been very good to me" and my family. I have tried to teach players, in my 22 years of coaching the game... "If you ever make something of yourself on or off the field... give back to the game". Luckily, I have coached many players which have done allot of good for youth baseball through their contribution of their time & money.

In No Way are USTBA, Georgia USTBA, myself and our staff perfect. We have our faults just like anyone else. However, we do Strive For Perfection... but realize Excellence Is The Best We Can accomplish.

Thank you for taking the time to read this reply. I hope I have shed some light on the subject... in our case anyway.

Sincerely,

Paul Jennings
National Director - USTBA

Edited by - USTBA08 on 04/19/2010 09:21:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000