New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  18:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People who are "very calm" don't use the word "freakin" to add emphasis.

quote:
Originally posted by BBall123

((99 Im very calm, Im just stating the facts like you guys? We get 3 hours of field time a week from ECB the rest of it we rent high school fields or church fields,we do what we have to to play and practice. our kids are no different than yours , our parents and families are no different than yours. our tourneys are ran no different than any. We are just people who love baseball just like you guys. we have enough integrity to not cheat or slant tournament matchups to win a freakin youth baseball game! Its not our fault that the people in Gwinnet do not have the drive,determination or commitment to figure out how to start a Travel ball team! Come on guys?? Lay offus East Cobbers with our heads stuck in our Bat Bags???? ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by baseball99

bball123, calm down. No one is whining about anything. Bmoser is stating facts that surround the travel ball environment in Gwinnett county. East Cobb is light years ahead of Gwinnett County as far as infrastructure, commitment and attitude towards travel ball. Those close to this area are blessed to have such opportunities for their kids.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  19:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this NYO team chew up some really good teams in the Dizzy Dean States who are now top travel teams like South Forsyth/Sharon Springs back when they were 8. Besides the Bandits, they were my #2 rated team back then. Then, they fell off the planet.

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa

I remember the NYO group from my old Dizzy Dean days. I guess it would be possible for a good Dizzy Dean Team to do well in travel ball but my feelings is that it is much tougher to play the travel tournaments than it was Dizzy Dean. Dizzy Dean seems to only have a few great teams while the travel tournaments are strong top to bottom.

Go to Top of Page

Phattso

143 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  19:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

Hawkeye: I agree, let's get back to the topic.

I'd like to see someone take a stab at ranking the 10U NWGA league.

At least somebody is willing to put it out there. Here is my stab at the NWBA league you requested . . .

1. East Side Venom
2. Hobgood Heat
3. OP Storm
4. Acworth Warriors
5. North Georgia Storm
6. Oregon Park Sharks
7. Alpharetta Athletics
8. Sandy Plains Wildcats
9. Euharlee Mudcats

I have a very complicated formula for figuring this out so I doubt anyone else can do better.

Wow, this is an interesting list. WAY off, but interesting for sure. First, Eastside lost some of their better players. They will still be pretty good, but they weren't even an elite team last year. I will go with the Hobgood @ 2 and possibly even #1. OP Storm is the "b" team, if I may. OP Sharks are the team to watch, trust me. And Acworth lost an awful lot of it's players, so I can't see them being in the upper half.

Nice "stab", but I would assume you weren't involved with the league last year or didn't coach in the league last year. And when it comes down to it, who really knows.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  19:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd ask the Head Coach of Sharon Springs Blue about that if I were you.
Robs team is a top 10 Major team, and I think he'll admit NYO was better 2 years ago. I know Rob's team is better today, but I don't know about NYO. Those were Coach pitch days, but I'm not taking my eyes of NYO.

quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

What I heard about the NYO team is they will not compete in travel tournaments until the summer as they first must take part in their rec league. They may have good talent but by summer they will be way to inexperienced at playing at the level of the better travel teams to compete.

Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  20:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do, When I'm not calm I use other words to add emphasis. ;-)
quote:

quote:

((99 Im very calm, Im just stating the facts like you guys? We get 3 hours of field time a week from ECB the rest of it we rent high school fields or church fields,we do what we have to to play and practice. our kids are no different than yours , our parents and families are no different than yours. our tourneys are ran no different than any. We are just people who love baseball just like you guys. we have enough integrity to not cheat or slant tournament matchups to win a freakin youth baseball game! Its not our fault that the people in Gwinnet do not have the drive,determination or commitment to figure out how to start a Travel ball team! Come on guys?? Lay offus East Cobbers with our heads stuck in our Bat Bags???? ;-)
quote:

bball123, calm down. No one is whining about anything. Bmoser is stating facts that surround the travel ball environment in Gwinnett county. East Cobb is light years ahead of Gwinnett County as far as infrastructure, commitment and attitude towards travel ball. Those close to this area are blessed to have such opportunities for their kids.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  20:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based upon what I know, I agree. I might move Acworth Warriors up 1 notch based upon experience. You've won my respect at handicapping teams and spotting talent all across the metro. You have the ability to take the EC blinders off and see the bigger picture. Kudos.

I watch 100+ games a year in this age group, and have since age 8. Been around it since age 6. You must be the guy who keeps taking my parking spot! Well done.

ATP has the best hot dogs...agree? Monroe has the best hamburgers, but Cherokee Reds' are juicier. Which venue can you also watch ice hockey in between innings? Which venue holds the state BB gun championship? Which venue has an army Huey in sight from the fields? Which infield has rocks the size of golf balls? Which venue is behind a pest control business? A day care? Which venue has the longest walk to the fields?

What do you think about my AA/AAA/major sleepers? What about my EC ranking? The further I get from home, the shakier I get.

Let's get it on in the SNIT prediction string.

Anyone else think they know as much as we do about 10U teams or venues statewide? I'm calling you out in a kind and gentle way. Let's have some fun. Your knowledge base had better be deep, and if you only go to you own games, or leave after your eliminated, no need to apply. If you don't know GGBL, LBL, NWGA, USSSA, TC, Grand Slam, Dizzy Dean, and Dixie Youth pack it in. Who won the Dixie Youth Pee Wee World series in this age group? Dizzy Dean? Who "stole" the Dizzy Dean W.S. MVP? Who set the Dixie Youth all time record for #hits in a State Tourney? How many hits did he have? Strikeouts?

If you don't have any eye on the National scene, your toast. If you know LL, or Ripkin, jump on in. We're all novices there and always willing to learn.

C'mon, make my day! Tell me something I don't already know about 10U.

All in good fun. Any other venue oddities would be greatly appreciated. I plan to write a book some day.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

Hawkeye: I agree, let's get back to the topic.

I'd like to see someone take a stab at ranking the 10U NWGA league.

At least somebody is willing to put it out there. Here is my stab at the NWBA league you requested . . .

1. East Side Venom
2. Hobgood Heat
3. OP Storm
4. Acworth Warriors
5. North Georgia Storm
6. Oregon Park Sharks
7. Alpharetta Athletics
8. Sandy Plains Wildcats
9. Euharlee Mudcats

I have a very complicated formula for figuring this out so I doubt anyone else can do better.

Go to Top of Page

Phattso

143 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  21:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Based upon what I know, I agree. I might move Acworth Warriors up 1 notch based upon experience."

I think Acworth has 3 or 4 returning players from last season. Almost the whole infield is gone and their top pitchers are gone. I was starting to believe a lot I read on here, but this statement alone has set me back.

I guess we will find out soon enough...
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best concession stand.........Gresham Park. Great wings, great fish sandwich.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkeye

35 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  23:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's obvious that bmoser and I are the only ones that can talk about other teams than the top tier that everyone knows about. We're the only ones that travel the state looking for talent. We are the ones that know . . .

- ATPP does indeed have the best dogs but the best item anywhere is the quesadilla at ECB
- you can watch hockey in between games at Snell Park
- that the rockiest infield is in S. Cherokee
- the longest walk to a field is at Cherokee Reds
- the best fields are in Forsyth with their lush bermuda
- the worst umpires are at Wills Park
- the biggest gate fees are in Henry County
- the hardest place to get a good draw is in Dalton
- the field behind a pest control is Adcock field
- the park behind a daycare is the Railyard (which may be the best place to play baseball in the state at 10U)
- the coolest looking church in the state has a field with (2) 10U teams playing out of it (Storm & Barons)

I could go on-and-on and many may recognize some of experiences but only bmoser and I have done all the homework. So, answers to some of the other questions:

ECB teams (after researching) ranking
- Tigers (by a good margin over the others)
- Scorpions - good but over-rated
- Longhorns - good hitters, okay pitchers, questionable defense
- Bulldogs - one MAJOR caliber pitcher and a bunch of AA players
- Luck - probably very close to Bulldogs

Also:
- S. Forsyth is the biggest sleeper and potential giant killer
- Most of the other Forsyth teams (except Midway) are AAA and AA teams
- The best team in Cherokee is indeed Holly Springs, and this includes the ECB Scorpions who play across the street
- Oregon Park teams will struggle early and often
- Mill Creek is the best Gwinnett team, followed by Parkview
- Grip are over-rated (sorry b, I know that's your team)
- ECB Tigers, 643, and Kennesaw in that order in Cobb. Everyone else has a ways to go.
- Bandits will win the Spring Frost, but won't win in Forsyth or S. NIT.
- The 3 best teams in the state are NOT in Metro Atlanta, but the next 2 are
- Yard Dogs will take down someone BIG
- Sandtown will take a small step backwards
- The 4th best team in Cobb is not an ECB team

Everyone get out you pencils and right this down because I have spent many hours scouring every nook-and-cranny and have built an algorithm that is 98% accurate given all of the information available today. You now know what's going to happen in 2009 because bmoser and I have told you. Take this knowledge and learn from it and perhaps you can develop the prognostication tools we have.

Edited by - Hawkeye on 02/11/2009 08:46:55
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  07:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very funny !!

quote:

I do, When I'm not calm I use other words to add emphasis. ;-)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

homerunking

110 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as for sleepers we won't get to see if they are what they are being labled if they don't go out and beat the BEST...They can beat up on a bunch of nobodies and they we may say WOW they are beating JOE BLOW...But if they are not seeking out the BIG DOGS "AKA BANDITS or SANDTOWN ECT...." they they will stay UNDER the radar as they are now.......
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  09:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Hawkeye on the ECB Rankings. Dead on. Now on the other group from up there. And I like the way you stay under the radar I will keep it that way.

1. Oregon Park
2. Hobgood Heat
3. OP Storm
4. East Side Venom
5. North Georgia Storm
6. Sandy Plains Wildcats
7. Alpharetta Athletics ?
8. Acworth Warriors
9. Euharlee Mudcats

Still sticking with this prediction:
#1 Boynton Bandits
#2 6-4-3
#3 Grip
#4 ECB Tigers
#5 NYO if they play some travel tournaments-good defense wins games
Kennesaw and the rest all fighting it out for that #6 spot.

Anyone hear about a scrimmage game with NYO and a top 10 Travel team from last season this past weekend?
BMOSER what you got on this?
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  09:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bow to the Knowledge and expertise displayed by Hawkeye and BMOSER! ;-)
I think you will be surprised by the way things unfold with 5 ECB teams,one would rate them this way from last years results and what was seen "briefly" in the fall. But things have changed. AND... I think the Chicken fingers are far superior to the quesadillia!
I agree with HITANDRUN on the 1-9 under the radar teams.Mill Creek will be a factor this year in every tourney they play in.
quote:

It's obvious that bmoser and I are the only ones that can talk about other teams than the top tier that everyone knows about. We're the only ones that travel the state looking for talent. We are the ones that know . . .

- ATPP does indeed have the best dogs but the best item anywhere is the quesadilla at ECB
- the park behind a daycare is the Railyard (which may be the best place to play baseball in the state at 10U)
- the coolest looking church in the state has a field with (2) 10U teams playing out of it (Storm & Barons)

I could go on-and-on and many may recognize some of experiences but only bmoser and I have done all the homework. So, answers to some of the other questions:

Also:
- The best team in Cherokee is indeed Holly Springs, and this includes the ECB Scorpions who play across the street
- ECB Tigers, 643, and Kennesaw in that order in Cobb. Everyone else has a ways to go.

Everyone get out you pencils and right this down because I have spent many hours scouring every nook-and-cranny and have built an algorithm that is 98% accurate given all of the information available today. You now know what's going to happen in 2009 because bmoser and I have told you. Take this knowledge and learn from it and perhaps you can develop the prognostication tools we have.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. If they don't show up at TC Spring Frost, or Forsyth Slugfest, or Super NIT, none of the 3, then they better bring a note from their Mommies, and agree to drag the fields in a Chicken suit to get births in any State Championships this Summer.

quote:
Originally posted by homerunking

Well as for sleepers we won't get to see if they are what they are being labled if they don't go out and beat the BEST...They can beat up on a bunch of nobodies and they we may say WOW they are beating JOE BLOW...But if they are not seeking out the BIG DOGS "AKA BANDITS or SANDTOWN ECT...." they they will stay UNDER the radar as they are now.......

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Predictions, Predictions, Predictions, Predictions. We played over 100 baseball games last year and I have never even heard of some of these sleepers. Where were they? We play in mostly open tournaments that anyone that wants can enter. My suggestion is that you wake the sleeper up, put a uniform on him, bring him down to ball field, walk in the dugout, flip a coin for home team and I promise you that he will wake up fast. Want to rank something rank this. Let's all play and the team that wins the most games gets first and so on down the line. You don't need a expert with this style of ranking, The teams rank themselves. One rule should be that if you don't play then you can"t get ranked.

You are also wrong about the Scorpions, overrated or underrated they are a very sound baseball team with many good players and are capable of beating anyone in this division.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAWKEYE: I'm impressed! Never thought you'd get the longest walk to the field question. You must have 6 boys playing travel ball from age 8 to 14 to know this much. You write the book!

Anyway, gotta correct you on Parkview being #2 in Gwinnett. Word has it they lost their top player. Norcross picked up an impact player from Duluth, and Collins Hill is still stronger even though they lost 2 top players (1 to golf). North Gwinnett Black will surge this season and be most improved. I cant see Parkview beating any of these teams unless their best player returns.

To give some history on the boys in this now 10U age group:
The 8U Dizzy Dean MVP was the Bandits Tucker Bradley. Dixie Youth Pee Wee State Champs were Mill Creek (twice), most hits in a Dixie Youth State Championship:17 by Cory Riley of Mill Creek, I need some help on Dizzy Dean State champs..was it NYO? I think they were in the finals.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HITANDRUN asked: Anyone hear about a scrimmage game with NYO and a top 10 Travel team from last season this past weekend?
BMOSER what you got on this?

Nadda. My educated guess is Midway since they are a top 10 team and both played DD together as 8's. It wasnt S.Forsyth/Sharon Springs.

Both Midway and NYO seem somewhat reclusive to me.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkeye

35 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coachz

Sandy Plains
Eastside
Hobgood Heat
OP Sharks
Alpha A's
OP Storm
Ackworth
Euharlee Mudcats
NG Storm
There's my stab at it.JMO, for what it's worth.

Most of this is pretty accurate but how do you get SP at the top? This appears to be a fairly weak league. Perhaps the Bandits should join and show them who's boss.
Go to Top of Page

KCjr

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can help a little with NYO (Northside Youth Organization) based out of Chastain Park in Atlanta. They had two Dizzy Dean teams last summer in the 9U state tournament and both made it to the final four. Their first team, Bulls, won the state title by beating the Wills Park Wranglers. NYO does not field travel teams during the spring season. All their play is at Chastain Park and then they will field All Star Teams for the summer tournaments. It is very rare that a player will leave the organization to play travel ball. They have a great group of coaches and parent volunteers that keep their program going with this spring players in all age groups (4 - 14) totaling around 1200 kids.
Go to Top of Page

215 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  15:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dizzy Dean State Champs? When these kids were 8
I think Hobgood came back and beat Boynton twice to win it, not 100% sure.
World Series when they were 8, was a team from Alabama, (Gardendale), Boynton, Oregon Park, NYO didnt attend the World Series.

AS 9
NYO Champions
Wills Park Runner Up
Powder Springs Indians

I may be off on some of these but close
Go to Top of Page

Pickle

22 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  16:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New to the site here but,
Boy some of you guys just dont like east cobb do you? (Head stuck in a bat bag) ( east cobb blinders on ) What is that about?

Anyway, the way I see it in Cobb is like this.

1. EC Tigers or Longhorns
2. the other one
3. 643
4. Kennesaw
5. scorpions

In the spring frost,top 8

1. Bandits,Longhorns,643,Mill Creek
5. Hollysprings
6. Kennesaw
7. Tigers
8. Grip

This top 4 could shake out either way depends on whose ready to play. I lean towards Bandits,643,Longhorns,Mill Creek.
To early for the tigers with no fall ball,Kennesaw not enough pitching,Scorpions not enough pitching or hitting. Hollysprings is the unknown here in this tournament.

What do you think of this analogy?

Well back to the blinders and the bat bag!

Go to Top of Page

pcc

28 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why is the Grip a triple A team?
Go to Top of Page

tattersalad

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pickle - Mills Creek has to be in it to win it!

Triple Crown predictions are:
1. Bandits
2. Kennesaw
3. 643
4. Sandtown
5. EC Scorpions

My EC rankings would be as follows:
1. Tigers
2. Scorpions
3. Luck
4. Longhorns / Bulldogs -- that's a toss up

For the NWBA league:
1. OP Sharks
2. Sandy Plains
3. East Side Venom
4. OP Storm
5. Hobgood Heat
6. North Georgia Storm
7. Acworth Warriors
8. Apharetta Athletics
9. Mudcats

Should be fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were a newly formed team with a bunch of 9 yr olds, a rookie Head Coach, and only 9 players, what would you do? This team has played <10 games together, and are in a County where feeder programs rule, so the deck is stacked strongly against them. Finally, a small group of ex-Rec players try to break the Gwinnett County shackles to make a go of it, and you guys are all over them. I don't care if they fail, I commend them for trying. baseballpapa, isn't this what you're always preaching? Bring what you got, throw your best punch, show some grit, and take on the best? They might not be the sharpest knives in the drawer for bucking the County system like this, but you gotta love their heart.

quote:
Originally posted by pcc

why is the Grip a triple A team?

Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  21:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This all sound impressive but some of what you have here tells me that you are making your predictions based on things that are no longer true regarding some of these teams. In particular, the info regarding Mill Creek and Parkview.

Mill Creek has two teams now and 2 of the park's best players left to play elsewhere. Both of the teams that remain are, at best, 5 travel players strong and the rest of the roster would be hard pressed to make a travel team in East Cobb.

Parkview was probably the 3rd best team in Gwinnett last year and they lost their best player.

Collins Hill or Mill Creek Red will the the best team in Gwinnett and Norcross may surprise everyone and take that title. Even with that said, none of these teams will compete for any Triple Crown title unless they draw an easy path through a bracket. PTB Elite (not at full strength) spanked the Mill Creek team last fall in the championship game of a tourney in Hampton. It was obvious they were from two different classes.

It's interesting to read anyway.

quote:

Also:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000