General Discussion
 What would you if you were the manager
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  10:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are the Manager of a 12U travel team you have a tryout and pick your 12 kids. You call the parents and they all commit. A week later you find out one of your players had tried out for another team. You try to reach said player's parents and can't but get a call from them a week later after that team has made their selections for their team. Kid was obviously not asked to play on that team.

qui-gon.jinn

52 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  11:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its all about coaches and YOUR TEAM, right?

the fact that we're starting this spring/summer tryouts earlier and earlier, when the big orange, blue, and white machine in Cobb County hasn't (and everyone knows that's the yardstick by which all teams and assn's are measured), makes integrity go out the window. particularly so when these coaches demand a committment immediately following the offers.

Baseball traditionally has been a spring and summer sport. making these boys and girls and their parents commit in late july and early august is patently absurd. and even more ridiculous when there are tryouts every week leading up to the fundraiser in East Cobb.

the answer is simple: don't force their hands before they're ready to make that commitment and they may not lead you down the primrose path...
Go to Top of Page

Hook Em Horns

105 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  11:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would ask the parents if your team is their 1st choice? Is the player happy and excited to play on your team? If the answers aren't emphatically yes...cut him on principle and find a player who will be. The beauty of travel ball is flexibility and choice for players and teams. The fact that they accepted a spot on your team, then tried out for another squad a week later potentially conveys that the player/parents are trying to improve their position on your back while having a "safe spot" on a team for 2009. Kind of dishonest, but ever so prevalent today. One thing I forgot to mention....if the kid is a stud....you keep him and consider yourself lucky, maybe even buy the parents a timeshare in Lithuania...j/k
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would call the parents and ask them what their commitment to the team is and just make sure they are commmitted 100% to my team and if they were still thinking about playing somewhere else then let them look around.
Go to Top of Page

yarddog

48 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could start collecting money from the parents (i.e. tournament fees, uniform costs, league fees, etc.) then you'll start to see who's really committed to your team. Parents won't as easily pull the plug on you if they could lose a couple hundred dollars. Or you can just grin and bear it and chalk it up the many tribulations of travel baseball.
Go to Top of Page

CinReds

88 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

You are the Manager of a 12U travel team you have a tryout and pick your 12 kids. You call the parents and they all commit. A week later you find out one of your players had tried out for another team. You try to reach said player's parents and can't but get a call from them a week later after that team has made their selections for their team. Kid was obviously not asked to play on that team.

If you're 12th roster spot is still open you take him. Why wouldn't you? Next time make your families commit w/ a non-refundable "1st payment" - $100 - $200. No roster spot is secure until you receive that payment. You will get some checks immediately and some later who are taking a chance w/ another team and that they'll possibly also miss the chance w/ your team. It forces the issue and gives a mgr. some peace of mind.

Edited by - CinReds on 08/08/2008 12:50:14
Go to Top of Page

charlieh

25 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  13:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setting the stage for more players to do the same. Maybe a few parents take their kids to ECB and get offers from better teams now? If a parent isn't ready to play on your team they should not say they are ready. As a coach it makes you look like you can't manage your team, this is before the season even starts what will happen when the games start? I would hold another tryout for the 12th position and make him tryout again if they really want him to play.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  14:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see this being any different than you see out in the business world. It's all about trying to find the best opportunity. There are two things that are happening:
1) a coach is trying to put together the best team of players he can
2) parents are trying to get their kid on a team that is the best opportunity for that kid.

I see a lot of coaches trying to get players and parents to commit before other tryouts, and I don't blame them. The probability of losing a player the more tryouts they go to increases exponentially.

However, if you are a parent, you want to make sure you are looking all the best options for your child. The worst thing they can do is get caught not making their first option and not having a good backup option to go to. I realize the coach for the backup option is not thrilled being the 2nd choice, but if the coach wants the player, and the player is happy to play on the team after not making their first choice then I think all is fine.

I just don't think you can get to sensitive about all this. Keep in mind, everyone is trying to do the best for their situation.
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  15:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not a big deal. Check your ego at the door. You are not his first choice. But as you indicated, your team is the back up position just in case he does not make the team he wants to play on.

Why would anyone be offended? How dare those parents. Maybe they were on the team that added players in the middle of the season or brought on that "stud" for the final tournament of the year. What happens to the players who came to every practice, parents paid their money, and the kids gave 100% but the coach had a "stud" come available? Now that same kid sits while the "stud" is here to save us all. Maybe the coach will have a chance to get him on the team for next year. And I guarantee you the coaches kids do not suffer for any roster additions that occur. That makes for good team chemistry. I have heard of teams adding players in the middle of the season and sitting those players they want to quit. Eventually it happens.

Add this to the roster size of 12, 13, 14.... and why would you have so many players on a team that is not 15 or older. Its easy to see the distrust on each side.

If it doesn't work out then replace him later. At least he is interested enough to try to make your team. Be careful about throwing rocks in the old glass house.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  16:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please run screaming from a coach who demands monie when you commit before September 1. It's a business, get rid of the ego. Any coach who demands a commit or who demands money fears competiton and should not be trusted.
Kids should play for who they want to play for, by some thinking on here, I should start tryouts for 2010 just to beat everone else so I don't lose someone.

IT'S YOUTH BASEBALL. If a kid says they want to play elsewhere, say thank you and move on. A recent D-I player and Draft pick left my team twice and came back twice because he admitted to making a mistake when picking the other team. Since it was a business and I liked the kid and family we took him back, no problem.

I can't imagine how some people here runa busines if they have such fragile egos about YOUTH BASEBALL
Go to Top of Page

CoachDad

52 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  00:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether or not the other team wanted the player should not make a difference in your choice. If the player was good enough to make your team do you need your choice validated by another set of coaches?

You weren't his first choice? He wasn't their first choice either.
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  14:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on what kind of a man you are...if you're a little man..never take him back, and make sure you tell every other coach in the organization that he and his parents are problems, because it's not what the parents think at the time is best for their son, it's all about you.

Or if you're a big man...accept him back, treat him like you would every other player, and realize that it's not about you, it really should be about the kids..

Unfortunately I've seen more little coaches than big ones...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000