New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JunkBaller

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  17:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am contemplating taking my kid to the upcoming 643DP and/or ECB tryouts(13U, in his case). I've heard that both are a big waste of time and money, as most teams have their rosters already filled before the tryouts. I know my son can measure up, but I am not sure he will get a fair look. My question is: Which one of the mega-tryouts offers the best chance for a AAA baller to get a fair look this year?

Edited by - JunkBaller on 07/25/2011 17:24:12

justletemplay

46 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  20:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can these programs pick the best 13-15 athletes, appx number for a team, from all those participants? Then when the roster is announced a majority of the names are from the previous season. When your kid goes to an open tryout you are trying to get one of the remaining slots............from one short workout. Just go for the workout. Don't expect a jingle.
Go to Top of Page

cmoncoach

29 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  20:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most ECB teams do already have their teams selected before the tryout, but I have never heard of 643 doing this.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  20:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the ECB tryout, just because in our age group alone there is going to be 14 teams I am sure there will be more than one team for each classification. Good Luck!!
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  21:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How well is either one run? There is another discussion about good try outs on here. Do the kids end up just standing around half the time, or are either of these a well run try out?

Edited by - DecaturDad on 07/25/2011 21:56:31
Go to Top of Page

Mets69

70 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to both tryouts last year. While the 643 tryouts were well run, we felt as if they had already pre-selected the team since some of the players from the previous years team were just walking around and not participating. Batting evaluations were also done in the batting cages and many of the coaches didn't even bother to watch. The ECB tryouts were held over 2 days, and although it's probably true that a number of teams already have their rosters finalized, my son was approached by a number of coaches who were interested in having my son join their team. For the most part, I'd have to agree with the previous poster who said to go just for the workout.
Go to Top of Page

JunkBaller

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  22:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spartan4, which age group are you referring to where there will be 14 teams? I was thinking there will be only about 7 teams at 13u (Astros, Titans, Pride (2), Black Knights, Stars & Indians). If not, please educate me.

Thanks to all for the advice. Does anyone know the team names/coaches/classification for any other ECB 13U teams (not mentioned above) for this year and if they are seriously looking for players?
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  23:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up and coming 12U.....there were a TON this year as well
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  00:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ECB is the annual pilgrimage at this point for us. Been to ECB over the years with both circumstances, with a team and looking. Trying to get there without a commit this year but three weeks away and I'm already getting heat, the family wants to pull the trigger on one of the offers and end the madness now. It is an odd tryout in that the majority of the players their are on a team, in prior years it looked to be like 9 of 10 were rostered. A lot of teams will have open spots though and this year may be an exceptional year, more openings than prior years. Just what I've been hearing.

6-4-3 was knocked off our calendar and I still can't tell you why. They've got a great program and 6-4-3 is highly respected in the Georgia travel ball world. Our player has shut us down on 6-4-3 but it comes recommended as a quality program from tryouts to coaching to teams.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  09:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JunkBaller

I am contemplating taking my kid to the upcoming 643DP and/or ECB tryouts(13U, in his case). I've heard that both are a big waste of time and money, as most teams have their rosters already filled before the tryouts. I know my son can measure up, but I am not sure he will get a fair look. My question is: Which one of the mega-tryouts offers the best chance for a AAA baller to get a fair look this year?

More importantly than any of the input with regard to how many teams there will be with either program or how many slots might already be filled, do you and your son want to play for either program? If you are interested in playing for one of the organizations, then go out and try and win a spot on either team. If you are only looking to participate in a tryout for the sake of going through the motions or telling your friends that you tried out for ECB or 643, then save your time and money.

That said, if you tryout for ECB, you are really trying our for any one of several "franchise" teams. Face it, the Astros are going to be a far different opportunity and experience than the low major or AAA teams that they roll out with the dad coaches. 643 has fewer teams and more of an institutionalized approach regarding the coaches that work with all the teams and what is taught. Not saying that one is better than the other, just that both programs are vastly different and you need to determine what you are looking for in your 13u season long before you figure you who you might tryout for. Until you know what your goals for the upcoming year are, any tryout you attend is likely a waste of time and money. You have a little homework to do before either tryout.
Go to Top of Page

JunkBaller

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  11:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In_the_know, you bring up a valid point, however, you seem to be assuming I haven't done my homework. The problem here is that some of the answers for these "evaluations" ain't in the book, which is why I'm counting on you guys to give me the straight skinny. I know exactly what I want for my kid--Professional instructional coaching, the facilities needed to develop his skills, and the opportunity to develop/play in a highly competitive environment. I feel 643 offers what I am looking for, but I am not convinced that all the spots are "open". Also, I know that there are a few ECB teams that offer the things I am looking for... but of those teams, which ones still have open roster spots at the day of the big tryout? I am not interested in paying money just for my kid to stand in line just to get a few balls hit at him and a few swings in the cage. I am interested in paying for the opportunity to really have a shot at making a good team.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  12:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Junkballer, if your truly interested wait till all tryouts are done then start contacting teams for your son. Most teams will leave a spot open for a good/excellent player to come on before spring starts. You will only get the kind of attention/chance when its one on one with the team. This way the coachs will ONLY be looking at your son. Call and request a private workout with whatever team you want to be with. Believe me there will be spots available on most good teams. If you want to take it a step further then in fall play tournaments with multiple teams so you can be in the drivers seat. This way you can really see how the coaching staff makes real game decisions. This senario works best for excellent players. JMHO.... Sorry, but I don't care what team you are I WON'T BE PAYING YOU A DIME to try out!!!!!!! And NO I WON'T BE HEARDED THROUGH LIKE CATTLE either!!!!!

quote:

In_the_know, you bring up a valid point, however, you seem to be assuming I haven't done my homework. The problem here is that some of the answers for these "evaluations" ain't in the book, which is why I'm counting on you guys to give me the straight skinny. I know exactly what I want for my kid--Professional instructional coaching, the facilities needed to develop his skills, and the opportunity to develop/play in a highly competitive environment. I feel 643 offers what I am looking for, but I am not convinced that all the spots are "open". Also, I know that there are a few ECB teams that offer the things I am looking for... but of those teams, which ones still have open roster spots at the day of the big tryout? I am not interested in paying money just for my kid to stand in line just to get a few balls hit at him and a few swings in the cage. I am interested in paying for the opportunity to really have a shot at making a good team.

Edited by - Gwinnett on 07/26/2011 13:28:56
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  12:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Junkballer ....one other opportunity you may want to entertain is have him attend a tryout at 13U and 14U. This would cost you more but also double the potential opportunities at AAA level. Just a thought to hedge your bets ! Also, it's a lot about networking and getting "private workouts" etc. and finding out what teams have what needs then seeing if it's a good fit for your son. For example, if he's a third baseman and the team already has a returning third baseman, I'd suggest looking for another team ( just an example ! ). I'm only suggesting things I think could bring maximum opportunity for your son so you can pick from BEST opportunities vs. single opportunity.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun !
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  14:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we try to be brief in these posts, so my assumption was more based on how much you said in your original post. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. So with that, I would suggest that between the two, 643 probably has a more open tryout based on what I've heard from families I know that played for them in previous seasons. My son tried out for them in the past and they were very specific that it's a one year commitment both directions. Players must earn their spot on the team each returning year and nothing is promised. Of course, if they have one or two studs from the previous year that has a poor tryout, that won't likely sway them from wanting that player. Likewise, if a kid was on the bench rotation from the previous season and has a lights out tryout, they can't ignore a year of knowledge and will likely factor that in as well, but their stated position is that no one is guaranteed a spot on the next season's team.

Also, at the rising 13's (that you mention is your age group) there will be three teams (like they had at 12's) with one of them being headed up by a new coach altogether. I've heard that there is likely to be ALOT of turnover across all the teams there at 13u, so that might be worth checking out as well.

As I mentioned before, ECB is more like a franchise at the younger ages and "sell" the ECB name to various coaches who bring a team in to the park. Most of those teams have a core of 8 or more players and are only looking for fill in a few spots and hold their core together.

In the end, whether it's ECB or 643, it really depends on who comes to the tryouts. If I'm picking, I don't want to swap out my bottom 5 players with 5 other families/players at the same bottom 5 talent spot unless I'm trying to get rid of other issues or baggage that those families/players bring. I'd much prefer to pick up kids that will land in my top 5 while trading out my bottom 5. If I hold a tryout and I don't see that opportunity, then I'm probably going to be more likely to keep what I know rather than take a chance on what I might get.

I like half of Gwinnet's thought about waiting until after tryouts and then contacting teams. I don't like the half about waiting. I'd contact them now and ask questions of the coaches about what they are looking for and how many slots they really expect to have open. If you wait, the team may likely be full before you make the call. I know alot of teams like to lock up their entire rosters before ECB even has their tryouts, so you could really limit your opportunities if you wait until mid August to start speaking with coaches. If your son can measure up as you state, then it doesn't matter what level he played before. At this age more than any other, the growth curve is so different for these kids that many studs are being passed by and previous "dogs" are quickly becoming the new studs. Good coaches know this better than anyone and will be looking for these kids.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

mmder97

11 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  14:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gwinnett's is the best response yet. But there is not one word about CHARACTER in this thread. Every team we have been on or had friends on has had problems that sank the team before year's end because of boys and parents with crappy attitudes. A "Cattle Call" will never isolate these issues. We will go the rec ball route this fall, guest play on travel teams this fall and then look for a team in December. There will be plenty of openings.
quote:
Originally posted by Gwinnett

Junkballer, if your truly interested wait till all tryouts are done then start contacting teams for your son. Most teams will leave a spot open for a good/excellent player to come on before spring starts. You will only get the kind of attention/chance when its one on one with the team. This way the coachs will ONLY be looking at your son. Call and request a private workout with whatever team you want to be with. Believe me there will be spots available on most good teams. If you want to take it a step further then in fall play tournaments with multiple teams so you can be in the drivers seat. This way you can really see how the coaching staff makes real game decisions. This senario works best for excellent players. JMHO.... Sorry, but I don't care what team you are I WON'T BE PAYING YOU A DIME to try out!!!!!!! And NO I WON'T BE HEARDED THROUGH LIKE CATTLE either!!!!!

quote:

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  14:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gwinnett,

I once felt like you with regard to paying for tryouts. I changed my way of thinking when I realized that it actually provides my son with a better opportunity to be seen and assessed. Think of how many parents would bring their kid to either of the ECB or 643 tryouts just to be out there. You'd have every level of rec player to elite travel player clogging up the field. You'd have kids who are already on teams showing up just to see where they stacked up amongst the herd. You'd have 500 kids out there, 90% of which would have no legitimate shot of making a major team. Having a fee helps keep alot of people away who really have no business being there, ensuring that those who have a legitimate shot get as fair a look as possible.

I know alot of people are just dead against the fee on principle and I understand that mindset, I was once one of them, but there's something to be said for having some level of exclusivity in place. I have changed my stance on paid tryouts and have been to several that required a fee over the past few years. No regrets. Whether he made the team or not, I walked away feeling like he got a better look by being part of a smaller, exclusive group than had he been 1 in 500.

quote:

. . . Sorry, but I don't care what team you are I WON'T BE PAYING YOU A DIME to try out!!!!!!! And NO I WON'T BE HEARDED THROUGH LIKE CATTLE either!!!!!

quote:

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  15:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an entire other thread about what to look for in a team. The OP was specifically asking about the ECB & 643 tryouts. But since you bring it up, my experience has been that the character of the team starts and ends with the coaching staff and program. If the coaches have weak character, don't expect them to address the same in families or players. You should already know who you will or won't let your son play for before ever trying out for a team or program. It would seem that you already have a strategy for addressing this as you state in your post, but whether you are part of a large scale or individual tryout, you will unlikely see true character issues surface in such a short period as a tryout affords. You may observe behavior that might give you pause, but typically character reveals itself over time. Most families have figured out where the good character coaches are by this age group and for those families that place high value on that trait, they are only trying out there.

And yes, it's become painfully obvious as I've watched other players, parents and coaches over the years that some people place little to no value in character.

quote:
Originally posted by mmder97

Gwinnett's is the best response yet. But there is not one word about CHARACTER in this thread. Every team we have been on or had friends on has had problems that sank the team before year's end because of boys and parents with crappy attitudes. A "Cattle Call" will never isolate these issues. We will go the rec ball route this fall, guest play on travel teams this fall and then look for a team in December. There will be plenty of openings.
quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  16:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in_the_know, you are very right! All teams have to have a way to get, the serious players. So I agree that paying will weed out the not serious. We are VERY fortunate, now, not to have to pay and be herded. Thanks coach, we love you!

quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

Gwinnett,

I once felt like you with regard to paying for tryouts. I changed my way of thinking when I realized that it actually provides my son with a better opportunity to be seen and assessed. Think of how many parents would bring their kid to either of the ECB or 643 tryouts just to be out there. You'd have every level of rec player to elite travel player clogging up the field. You'd have kids who are already on teams showing up just to see where they stacked up amongst the herd. You'd have 500 kids out there, 90% of which would have no legitimate shot of making a major team. Having a fee helps keep alot of people away who really have no business being there, ensuring that those who have a legitimate shot get as fair a look as possible.

I know alot of people are just dead against the fee on principle and I understand that mindset, I was once one of them, but there's something to be said for having some level of exclusivity in place. I have changed my stance on paid tryouts and have been to several that required a fee over the past few years. No regrets. Whether he made the team or not, I walked away feeling like he got a better look by being part of a smaller, exclusive group than had he been 1 in 500.

quote:

. . . Sorry, but I don't care what team you are I WON'T BE PAYING YOU A DIME to try out!!!!!!! And NO I WON'T BE HEARDED THROUGH LIKE CATTLE either!!!!!

quote:

Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  17:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree Know. When looking at tryouts that charge a fee, I look at what the team did previous years. In one example of a team - they did not have a stellar year - or at least one that was advertised in the beginning. Dropped several levels and still want to charge a fee this year. Not going and not paying. Not sure we would go even if there wasn't a fee. Part and parcel of the fee at ECB is that it is part of the registration. Son makes the team, it's applied to fall registration. Son doesn't make team then we take our chances.

As far as 643 - we've had friends we've played with on other teams that were indeed cut from the previous year and did not make the team. Devastating but they were absolutely not guaranteed a place on the teams. My son and I actually drove through their new facility today in Marietta and it's really nice - shaping up and the fields are looking great.

And as far as character - agree 100%! Almost thinking we should all take personality tests before being accepted on the team- coach can evaluate the parents pretty easily that way... or maybe hypnosis...?
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  15:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are all fundraisers....which is why most are called clinics instead of tryouts. Save your money unless your kid is a real difference maker. Most teams are already, primarily half full befo any tryouts...otherwise they aren't sure about their ability to fill a team and compete. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

cant speak on ECB, been to 6-4-3, in my opinion is was a waste of time and nothing but a fund raiser.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  15:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about 6-4-3 but I believe ECB in the past has made this "mandatory" if you intend to play out of ECB. If it's mandatory and you're already committed to a team ( which is against ECB rules ), you still have to pay. If you are just trying out, then if your not approached at the tryouts ( which is also contrary to ECB rules ), you have to wait until the Coaches draft meeting to see if you were picked up on a team. Is it worth it ? If you want to play out of ECB, doesn't matter if you think it's worth it or not...you just have to do it, so it makes the question a moot point. If your not sure you want to play out of ECB, then the question is valid. I'd suggest deciding "where" you want to play first and research the team / organization first then decide if you can afford the costs or not.

ECB & 6-4-3 are good organizations but there are many others as well. Team Georgia, Road Runners, Blue Jays and MGB to name a few are all good organizations as well and will all have some pro's and con's to consider. Do your research as some will have tryout costs / clinics and some will not.

Hope this helps and good luck !
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  18:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an ECB coach, I would like to add 2 things:
1. Yes, it is ECB's largest fundraiser of the year. It costs a lot to keep the place in shape.
2. As for my teams, I am always looking for 1 or 2 at the tryouts, and based on the number of phone calls some of my "locked in" players got from coaches last year, so were the other teams. Surprisingly, in past years kids that were commits to other teams expressed an interest in playing for my team.

Everyone in travel ball has an agenda, some of us are more open about it than others.
Go to Top of Page

justletemplay

46 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  18:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that for the most part that what we have going on is fund raising. Check last season roster vs the posted rosters after tryouts. See how many names change on the club teams???? If they add a second team you may get new names, but their # 1 teams have little fall off from the primary team "name" or "color".

How many of you have asked for feedback after tryouts, from that organization?
What were the responses?

The point is the clubs will pick subjectively, not only objectively.
Go to Top of Page

Card6

152 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four yrs ago I went to my first ECB tryout. Met a coach there who said this is mainly a fund raiser. My son had fun and a good time. We didnt make any team but we became friends with a lot of baseball people. Next yr. we were smarter talked to coaches throughout the year and been in the park ever since. We have a lot of friends and talk too much baseball. Some have left the park but we still keep in touch. Learn the tryout game if your kid has talent and dont be one of those parents.
Go to Top of Page

4thecycle

6 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  08:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
H&R, if it were not for Dads coaching then travel ball would not exist for over 90% of the kids who play the game. Dads make it possible for more teams and thus more players.
Some of THE BEST coaches out there are Dads. Just being a Dad does not mean you stink as a coach and you play daddy ball all the time and you're not worthy of coaching a team.
If YOU personally have had issues with Dads coaching then it is YOUR fault for not doing your homework and choosing another team.
It is time everyone stops bashing Dads as coaches and be thankful they are out there making the world of travel ball and rec ball possible. Bash the less than 1% of dad coaches who play daddy ball and don't join their teams. Then they will fade away.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000