General Discussion
 Whats best for the kid?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ATLboy123

2 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  15:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snce it is that time of year where roster moves are being made, I would like to get your thoughts on the following. Do you feel it is in the players best interest to be:
-one of the stud players on AA team
-middle of the pack player on AAA team
-lower tier player on a major level team
My son has at one time or another been in all of these situations and seems to enjoy being one of the top dogs, pitching, catching, middle infiled on a weaker team. I personally don't think those positions are in his future. He actually hits top level pitching better than the much slower pitching you see in the lower levels. I feel it is best to keep him in front of as many good pitchers as possible as his future rests in his bat. He is a fine corner outfielder at the top level but I also don't want him to lose interest and his love for the game. Thoughts?

ECB_Insider

54 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  16:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would always say "Middle of the pack". You have guys above you to continue to challenge you, but guys below you to always keep you pushing you for your spot. You are typically good enough to be in the lineup every day so you are getting your game time in, which is the key to developing.

"Play at the highest level you can that lets you play every day."
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  00:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is the kid? If he's young let him play where he's happy. Let him be a kid. Don't worry so much about his future as his present. A kid won't leave a sport as long as he's having fun playing it.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  08:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PerfectGame

How old is the kid? If he's young let him play where he's happy. Let him be a kid. Don't worry so much about his future as his present. A kid won't leave a sport as long as he's having fun playing it.

I tried to do this from my phone while my son was working out. This. Exactly. And by young I mean until 12 or 13. It doesn't matter until then. And maybe not even then.

As far as finding and playing a position, I have two words-Pete Rose.
Some of you folks will have to look it up, but he switched to third base when the Reds needed him to even though he had been an all star outfielder and second baseman. They won two world championships after he did. He later played first base as well. I think he played every position but pitcher and catcher. Last I heard he had played in more winning games than any other major league player. That may have been broken since my long-distant youth.

Bottom line. Don't worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

ATLboy123

2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  09:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is getting ready to move to 13u.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  11:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ECB_Insider

"Play at the highest level you can that lets you play every day."

+1... Best advise so far.. If your son can be challenged by the coaches and competition, then he is playing at the right level.. If it is too easy, he will get lazy and play below his ability.

At 13 you're preparing him for HS - if you are unbiased in your opinion of his abilities, you'll know whether he will be able to play at that level - if he isn't, then let him go out with a bang and have fun... If you think he can take the challenge and has the drive, keep challenging him.

Go to Top of Page

cubs12

14 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  14:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever option that will keep him challenged. Too easy does nothing for his development and will hender his potential of playing in high school.
Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  09:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Play at the middle level. My son is leaving 13U - we played for a team that would get him reps - and he got lots of them. Top player on the team - bored stiff- team lost a lot and he was embarrassed more often than not at the level of play. We had to convince him to stay on the team and keep his commitment. Because he is so committed to his game and baseball, he improved on his own. Took lessons, worked out, hit, practiced. He improved while most of the others did not. It was a tough lesson to learn and if we had a "mulligan" we would go for the middle. He likes the challenge of better players and earning or working his way into a spot. Next year, he is looking for his level and above. He's already played on 60/90 with a second team (played up on a 14U team as fill in to keep him working at a higher level where he was a true utility player and catcher.) So from experience at the 13U age - find the middle.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  16:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 13U you are approaching High School ball. If that is what his aspirations are I would say he needs to play at the highest level where he can be successful, gain exposure and be challenged but happy. That said, being a name on a team where he never gets to play isn't going to do him any good either. Be sure you are fully aware of the intentions of the coach on any prospective team. It's difficult for sure but important to work to find the right fit at 13U. Good luck! It's a bit of a jungle out there...
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  10:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am living it right now with my son and my suggestion is to find a team in the middle where he can get plenty of playing time and still be challenged.

My son is on a major team that I coach. I hate to say to it but my assistant and I have recruited players to help make our team stronger to the point that our own son's playing time has become limited. This is the case for the past two seasons.

When your own son comes to you and tells you that it is not fun any longer you have to stop and think what have I done. I feel like that I have taken 2 seasons of playing time from my son. If I could turn back the hands of time I would have put him on a team that would have given him plenty of playing time. Baseball is supposed to be fun for all kids. Sometimes, we as the adult, get so caught up in winning and being successful that we forget about the fun part.

The sad part is that my son is 14 and this is the last year that he will play travel ball. He did play with his high school in their summer program back in June. He will be playing high school ball next season so the fire is still there for him.

Our team is playing in a tournament this weekend and he chose to not go because he is visiting a friend out of town.....having fun. Our team is going to Myrtle Beach for the Triple Crown World Series. I asked him if he was excited about going and he told me that he was excited about the vacation time but was not excited about going up there to sit the bench and get little playing time. As a dad, that crushed me.

So, with all of the above being said......make sure that your son is having fun first. The rest will take care of itself.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  13:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BRAVO !!!!!

Insantiy is curable.

It has always suppose to be about the kids, not a coaches or dads Trophy case.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000