General Discussion
 The Deal With Bats Part 1 HS/BBCOR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BROOKSTEAM

145 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  12:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently attended a trade show and was able to look at all the new products coming out for 2012. We also learned about the new bats, what makes one BBCOR bat different from the others and how they will be different from the 2011 Bats. Here is what I found out:
Many of the 2011 BBCOR bats were made way below allowable performance, that is why South Carolina switched to Rawlings after 17 years with Easton, so the 2012 bats will be much more representative of what they will be in the future.

The head of a BBCOR bat is required to be universal. Same size sweet spot, same level of performance etc. There are two ways to make a BBCOR bat, A-make the walls thicker and B-insert braces or a dampener that prevents sag. It appears that the thicker wall bats will be the most popular.

What makes a BBCOR bat different is essentially the swing weight or the balance. A lighter swinging better balanced bat will perform better/swing faster in the hands of a HS player (especially a younger one that does not generate the bat speed of an older college player). The materials used in the heads and handles allow the bat Mfrs to make a bat either more balanced or more end weighted. **Unfortunately the lighter swinging, better balanced bats are also more expensive**

Here is a summary of the type and price levels of the BBCOR bats that will be available from now through the upcoming 2012 season:

*Full composite (I know hard to believe) bats will be the lightest swinging and most expensive. The top ones will be the Easton S1, Demarini CF5, Louisville Z1000. These bats will all be in the $400 price range. I doubt many HS parents will buy these because of the cost and also the fear that if they change the rules again mid-season and ban the composites for any reason you are stuck with a very expensive bat.

*High end alloy head with composite handles. The top ones here will be the Easton S2, Demarini Voodoo, Lousiville Exogrid. These are the bats that you will see most college players swing. These bats will probably records the higher power and hitting numbers in both the college and HS ranks. The price of these bats will be in the $300 range.

*Full Alloy will probably be the highest selling bat because of the price range approx $200 or less. The Univ of S. Carolina boys all used the Rawlings 5150. This is a solid one piece alloy bat that apparently performs very well in a college players hands. Besides the 5150 the other top bats in this range are the Louisville Omaha, Easton S3, Worth Toxic.

**If you are considering buying an off brand for bats like Nike or Combat, or Mattingly, please read the Univ of Alabama article about how they are trying to get out of the Nike contract. This is new technology and not everyone can do it well yet.

***There will be several lower priced options also available. Please do not buy from internet companies. Elite Sports East Cobb has all the bats you will need, we always discount bats to the NWBA community, we have the ability to help you fit your player into the right bat, and we are locally involved.

Please reach out to us anytime if you have any questions:
Ph= 678-903-0024
e= ronald@elitesportseastcobb.com

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think most travel tournaments below the age of 14U will even try and go to BBCOR bats? I have a feeling no one cares about that age, and any bat will be legal next season in most tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke to one parent who lived near Clemson recently at a showcase tournament. He said Clemson used a bat called the Easton Excel. That they were the only team in the country which used it until they got knocked out of the CWS. Then other teams were given an oppty to hit it. he said it was the hottest BBCOR available. I looked on the Easton website but couldnt find anything out regarding it. Is there any such bat or was he mistaken?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000