General Discussion
 What would you do??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  08:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Situation: tryouts for fall/spring 2012 being held here and there and we've run into several players who we know didn't work out somewhere else in the past and know the reasons. It's not really a player issue, but rather a parent issue and you kinda know it will be a miserable experience to have to go through it again with another team, but overall the team looks inviting. You kind of also want to warn the coaches, but I won't go there.

So, do you pony up the money that they want in advance and wait for the storm to hit down the road that inevitably leaves the team short of players and then hope somebody somewhere picks up your player? Or do you just keep looking realizing you don't know EVERYBODY in the baseball world and that every team will have it's share of this kind of junk?

Similar thing happened a couple years ago when our recent team (now defunct - R.I.P.) was forming. Coach put a kid on the roster only to find out later that others were looking up the roster and staying away from trying out because that particular kid was on it.

Now that I've typed this, I'm thinking that it may bother just me and not my son. As long as he's happy, then I'll just go sit in the woods far, far away from these people so I don't have to listen to the negativity.

What would you do?

Enine

66 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  10:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's your money and 7+ months of your life, your kid will be happy as long as he is playing ball somewhere.

On the other hand, every team will have its issues as you stated. Is it better to go with the devil you do know?

If there is just 1 family that is known for jumping teams mid-season and the coaches/team look like a good fit for your son I would pony up.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

baseballdreams

18 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  10:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ripit,
I understand exactly how you feel we always wind up second guessing our decision. To stay or go else were. We had to make the choice this past season to leave our stay we had good coaches and friends on this team. We chosen to leave due to the possibility of one player (Parent) returning. And we tried out for several teams and decided to join in with a new team. The one player we were concerned about on the old team left in spring at that point. I was wondering did we make the wrong choice by leaving. Yes and No the current team has just as good coaches and parents. It has taken a little time to get to know everyone. And we still have our friends from the old team so it has been good for us. By the way I am always setting out in the woods watching the games. It’s cooler out there.
Go to Top of Page

batman501

10 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  11:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I think is some good advice. Stay away from teams that (a) are coached by idiots (and there are too many of them coaching kid's baseball) or (b) have kids on the team that have parents that are idiots (and believe me there are too many idiot parents that have kids playing baseball). It's almost never the kids that cause the problems -- it's almost always the adults.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000