Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Yellow Baseball Fence Crown – Home Run Rule??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MoonShot

63 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  09:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About every park you go to now, there is a yellow fence crown that lines the outfield fence. You know the 4" corrugated plastic pipe. According to the manufacturers, its purpose is to increase visibility of the fence and reduce player injuries.

In an extra-inning game played this weekend, a player hit a fly ball that hit the yellow fence crown and bounce toward the outfielder. Outfielder came up with the ball and threw to 3rd base. The hosting teams 3rd base coach was motioning homerun, and the umpire was soon to follow. They indicated it was their park rules.

How does your park handle this call?

Edited by - MoonShot on 05/30/2011 09:27:12

nwgadad

137 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  10:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think that in this case, the ball would be in play. You see it in the Majors where the ball hits the yellow and comes back in. It has to have gone out of the park above the yellow to be a homerun.
Go to Top of Page

Storm Baseball

212 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  10:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If was mentioned at the umpire/coaches meeting before the game that it was a homerun hitting the yellow pipe "as a park rule", then it is a homerun. I don't agree with it, it should be a live ball and in play if it comes back onto the field.

Go to Top of Page

Enine

66 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  13:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the ball hits the foul pole and comes back onto the field? Is it not a homerun? I would think both would still be homeruns.
Go to Top of Page

biggin

174 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  18:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ernie,foul-fair pole is over the fence. This should clearly be live ball.
Go to Top of Page

4pcbaseball

94 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  19:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree it should be a live ball unless there's specific park rules.

Have to share a similar experience in a fall tournament. Opposing player hit a drive to centerfield that hit off the yellow and bounced straight up. Our centerfielder caught it before it hit the ground and the umpire called the batter out. Unbelievable!! The opposing coach obviously argued a bit but they were up by several so it really didn't matter (except for the unfortunate kid that hit it).
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  09:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any park specific rules should be stated either in the tournament guide or by the umps during the plate meeting.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  00:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That park has never had a rule that states hitting the yellow equates to a home run. Not in the past 6 years anyway. In fact, batters who have hit the yellow and the ball bounced back in have been held to a ground rule double. Never understood that. If the ball hits the yellow and bounces OUT of play, that makes sense. But if it bounces back IN runners should keep on running! It's a playable ball and the fielders are responsible for getting it in and making an out. Very unfortunate that kind of call was made during a tournament. There is no written park rule about this situation so unless it was in the tournament rules or was addressed at the pre-game plate meeting there is no WAY that was a home run. A nice hit for sure ... but not an automatic homerun.
Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  11:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yellow Guard = top of fence

So in a park with no yellow guard if a ball hits the top rail of the fence and bounces back in is it a HR? no.

When the guard is applied it in essence becomes the new top of the fence. If hitting the guard is a HR then putting the guard on actually lowers the fence.

If it hits the guard and continues over the fence I feel it should be a hr, but if it comes back in it should still be in play, just like a ball hit off the fence bouncing back in. I just don't see the ground rule double or hr deal that the park is trying to apply. Neither make sense to me. The term 'Ground Rule Double' implies that the ball has to touch the 'Ground', or am I interpreting incorrectly?

Edited by - rustybucket on 06/03/2011 13:37:54
Go to Top of Page

stepoff

92 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  11:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At East Cobb on the fields for 9 and 10's - make sure to get a ruling on the black iron fence which is some thirty feet above the outfield wall. We were told by one set of umps if it hit the fence and came back into the field it was not a home run and then by another crew at a later game (same tournament) it was a home run if it hit it. Make sure and discuss it at home plate before the game.
Go to Top of Page

Hillio

123 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  13:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 4pcbaseball

Agree it should be a live ball unless there's specific park rules.

Have to share a similar experience in a fall tournament. Opposing player hit a drive to center field that hit off the yellow and bounced straight up. Our center fielder caught it before it hit the ground and the umpire called the batter out. Unbelievable!! The opposing coach obviously argued a bit but they were up by several so it really didn't matter (except for the unfortunate kid that hit it).

LOL!!
I never was able to figure that one out. I think the other coach was too stunned to put up much of an argument.....
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  14:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ever player on Field 5 at Criswell Park, aka The Green Monster, the scoreboard in CF is in play.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000