New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blue

7 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  20:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For teams considering issuing a mandate/handbook/code of conduct to parents and players. It would be advisable to have a similar mandate/handbook/code of conduct for coaches as well. Our team did and from there we are building upon a strong foundation of mutual trust and respect. The players are treated with respect ... even when they are being corrected. They are not coddled but they aren't belittled either. Parents inherently trust that the manager of the team has their son's best interest in mind because he truly cares about his players. He wants ALL of them to succeed and it shows. Every player is valued and each boy knows exactly how he brings value to the team and that the team cannot succeed without him. They rely on each other.

As for a baseball team (especially youth) being a dictatorship? Yikes. That's a bit strong ... even for competitive travel baseball. Perhaps if folks starting looking at a team as ... well... a team; there would be more success and less stress. There has to be chemistry in order for any kind of team to succeed. You cannot have chemistry without trust. You cannot have trust without respect. Nobody respects a dictator.
Go to Top of Page

gatraveler

58 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blue

For teams considering issuing a mandate/handbook/code of conduct to parents and players. It would be advisable to have a similar mandate/handbook/code of conduct for coaches as well. Our team did and from there we are building upon a strong foundation of mutual trust and respect. The players are treated with respect ... even when they are being corrected. They are not coddled but they aren't belittled either. Parents inherently trust that the manager of the team has their son's best interest in mind because he truly cares about his players. He wants ALL of them to succeed and it shows. Every player is valued and each boy knows exactly how he brings value to the team and that the team cannot succeed without him. They rely on each other.

As for a baseball team (especially youth) being a dictatorship? Yikes. That's a bit strong ... even for competitive travel baseball. Perhaps if folks starting looking at a team as ... well... a team; there would be more success and less stress. There has to be chemistry in order for any kind of team to succeed. You cannot have chemistry without trust. You cannot have trust without respect. Nobody respects a dictator.

AMEN BROTHER!
Go to Top of Page

bmwac

29 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  22:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Blue, that was very well said.
Go to Top of Page

coacheswife

10 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  08:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for your replies! Our scrimmage went good and everyone seems to understand more of what needs to happen to make this team work. What a relief for now:)I know you can always expect conflict because there are a lot of different personalitites out there. The problem was this parent was trying to dictate how the practices neeeded to be run (parent was not even at all the practices) and how things should be done on the field. I think that we have possibly resolved the issue for now. We have advised the parents to communicate on a one on one basis instead of involving the whole team. Our boys seem to be bonding pretty good and have made a tremendous improvement in the way they play on the field.

The good thing about our coaches is they admit that they are not perfect and will probably make more mistakes during this season. They will learn from their mistakes and make changes when needed. They are all very experienced with coaching and great with the kids.
Go to Top of Page

kidsgame

35 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  16:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that thought Blue. There is a ideal balance when parents are supportive and positive and coaches care as much about shaping your child's character as his baseball ability. My family is blessed to have found this balance, and we have had a tremendous experience with travel baseball - not to say it hasn't been intense from time to time, which parents should understand is typically necessary when you are shaping character.
Go to Top of Page

BONECOLLECTOR

5 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  09:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ramman999

quote:
Originally posted by coacheswife

I know East Cobb Baseball doesn't put up with anything. I believe they make you sign something when your son makes the team. I know it probably seems harsh to some parents but it is worth it for the team to be successful. We did not do that but I am sure that it will happen next season. You Live and You Learn!!!

We have players AND parents sign a code of conduct each season, which spells out guidelines and ramifications. We've been doing this since 8u and trust me, it is not a cure all, but it serves it's purpose. I suggest you implement one for the fall- be more than happy to send you ours- its not harsh, just sets expectations.

i would like to get a copy of your code of conduct. you can email it to me if you dont mind. mark.johnson@hortoncomponents.com
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  23:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiredgun

Each player and parent has to be told that discussions about playing time, playing position, and where they bat in the lineup are prohibited. However; if a parent wants to have that discussion we will have it but, when we do please bring their son's uniform with them.

What if the player comes to you to discuss playing time?
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  08:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the player comes to us with a positive attitude and asks what does he need to do to get more playing time then, as a coach, we will give the kid direction and support on what he needs to do.

If the player comes to us in an arrogant manner or with a negative wattitude asking about playing time then he will be asked to leave the team. No ifs, ands or buts.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  20:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coach today in our 15U tournament didn't shake any of our players' or coaches' hands after we beat them. Real classy. Glad he's not coaching my son, but I'm not sure how you cover that in the preseason selection process.

Our players actually thought it was kind of funny. I'm sure at some point when things don't go their way, his players will follow
his lead.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  08:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiredgun

If the player comes to us with a positive attitude and asks what does he need to do to get more playing time then, as a coach, we will give the kid direction and support on what he needs to do.

If the player comes to us in an arrogant manner or with a negative wattitude asking about playing time then he will be asked to leave the team. No ifs, ands or buts.

What about the parent coming to you with a negative attitude? I've seen this too much and the player ends up getting a bad rep because of his dad and sometimes his mom.

I agree that there is no room on a team for this type of behavior and have seen a coach let a player or two go because of it. Later, I found out these same players had similar issues with subsequent teams. In every situation a code of conduct was signed, but I guess some people think that it doesn't apply to them.

If you say you are only carrying 11 to keep roster numbers down and that you won't add players during the season, but then someone gets upset and leaves or the parent is causing too many problems, then you end up having to take on a player or two in season just to have enough players every weekend. Oh wait...this should be another thread!
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  14:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BONECOLLECTOR

i would like to get a copy of your code of conduct. you can email it to me if you dont mind. mark.johnson@hortoncomponents.com

Just sent
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000