New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my oldest started travel ball (many years ago) I thought about bringing a boom box to play for the team at the games. I loved the idea and made a baseball themed CD. I tried it out in the back yard and it sounded GREAT! The neighbors loved it!!! As I walked back in a little thought crept through my mind. Would it distract the other games being played in the larger parks? Then I took the thought a little farther. "What if my idea catches on???" I started imagining all these teams with their own boom boxes. Flash forward a few months at the large tournament held at a park with three quads. In between innings at each field every team is playing their own boom box. ROCK ON!!! That would be TWENTY FOUR boom boxes battling for SUPERIORITY. We have entered M.W.III (music wars 3). You know it would just a matter of time before some smart @#$ breaks out Jim Nabors' greatest hits with the volume maxed out on his (or her) 18 speaker, 15,000 watt, 200lb boom box and the noise emanating from the speakers would drive me insane!!! I covered my ears and closed my eyes because of all the noise running through my mind. A loud crack and BRIGHT FLASH OF LIGHT and then complete quiet. I slowly opened my eyes and became cognizant that I do not know a great defense attorney AND that I don't care for the words 1st-degree, jail, or chair used in the same sentence. I gladly took the CD out and put the boom box down. I walked out to the SUV inserted the CD into CD player and drove to the park to enjoy some baseball.

Play Hard!!!

Edited by - 3sondad on 04/12/2011 16:35:25

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  21:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our boys have loved it in the past, and other teams do as well......MANY teams use boom boxes but I only see comments make on this site directed at one particular team...If you don't like it ask them to stop, I'll bet they would at least turn it down. There is a lot of complaining about completely trivial things on here lately.

Edited by - Spartan4 on 04/12/2011 23:03:14
Go to Top of Page

Darnell

40 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  22:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfectly said. Hopefully others will have the same presence of mind and leave the boom boxes at home.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  23:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is quite an imagination, however, it wouldn't be tolerated by any ump or tournament director. In fact I'm positive if a "boombox" were violating or distacting any other team they would not be allowed by any ump or tournament director. Heck, they will stop a game if there's flashes from a camera, head lights from a car, coachs yelling at players, fans disageeing with the ump, coaches arguing and people getting naked. I for one WILL NOT be crying or whining about this issue. Bring your "boombox" we would be more than happy to play ball. Nothing distracting about a boombox playing towards a different field that NO ONE can hear when batters are coming up to bat! Your example is like keeping everyones cell phone at a professional ball game because everyones phone might ring at the same time and distract the pitcher???????? Come on?????
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  06:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit that back when our team was 8 yrs. old we had a boom box. We had it when we were 9. I must say that it was fun and the boys enjoyed the music.

We took it with us to a tournment up in the Atlanta area. We played at Heritage Park and I remember the umpires having a good time with the music between innings. We even had one umpire ask if he could make a request.

Needless to say, the boom box was retired when we moved up in the 10 yr. old division. We never had any issues with it but I can see where objections can and would be raised.

Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see both sides of the argument here and actually am in favor of not playing the music. But for our team, it is a team decision. Most of the feedback is positive from those around us. One question I have is, is it any more distracting than 30-40 people erupting into cheers when a good play takes place on the field? If you were to answer that honestly, you would say that the sudden eruption of cheers is much MORE distracting than the music. In fact, most everyone will turn to look at an adjacent field when the eruption happens, including the players on the field. Should we then ask the audience to cheer more quietly so that we don't disturb you on an adjacent field?
Go to Top of Page

bball-fan

89 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
There is a lot of complaining about completely trivial things on here lately.

You are correct with this, Spartan.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you guys need to take what Papa calls a chill pill. Anything that we can do to make the game more fun and exciting for the kids then you should go for it. Do not distract the other teams of course but using the boom box politely for your teams does not hurt anyone and anytime that we have been asked to turn the music down which is not often we did. Why don't you go the major league parks and tell them to quit playing music or to quit playing "Take me out to the ball game". Are you guys really serious that all we have got to discuss is boom boxes.
Go to Top of Page

CoachDad

52 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The iPod is a great invention and not so 1980's.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  08:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea, leave it home.

Spartan, you have a lot of faith in people. I've had to get a tournament director to get teams with boom boxes and other noise makers to be considerate of others. Don't forget this isn't just for the players, but also the peace of mind of parents who are paying 4,5 6 8 $$$$ to watch their child play.

BTW, some parks have a no artificial noise policy, boom boxes are included in that as well as cow bells, whistles and air horns.

Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  09:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT POINT Bandit Hawk! Thats the only noise that is really distracting at a game! I guess tournament directors will have to hire more people to carry around signs that say "QUIET PLEASE" like at golf tournaments. YA right....lol

quote:
Originally posted by Bandit_Hawk

I see both sides of the argument here and actually am in favor of not playing the music. But for our team, it is a team decision. Most of the feedback is positive from those around us. One question I have is, is it any more distracting than 30-40 people erupting into cheers when a good play takes place on the field? If you were to answer that honestly, you would say that the sudden eruption of cheers is much MORE distracting than the music. In fact, most everyone will turn to look at an adjacent field when the eruption happens, including the players on the field. Should we then ask the audience to cheer more quietly so that we don't disturb you on an adjacent field?

Go to Top of Page

4 seam

46 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  09:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We play music and keep it low. We play all kinds of songs and if you don't like it TO BAD!!!

My kids like it and they are all I care about!
Go to Top of Page

PANNI

30 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the parents would stay at home, these kids would probably have a lot more fun at these tournaments. I could see most of these kids after the game being over having a break dancing contest with the opposing team if the parents weren't around. I would venture to say that not one kid is distracted by the boom box or much else that goes on around them. It's the grown ups that have the issues. Think about it. Is the boom box really a distraction or deep down inside, is it something else?? Ask your son if he was distracted. He probably thought it was pretty kewl. I think that's how those kids spell it when texting or on facebook. I know my son really enjoyed playing the Bandits and getting to hear the music. The volume wasn't overwhelming. It wasn't being played while play was going on. Actually whoever is doing the DJing needs a microphone to announce the players, but it would only be polite to announce both teams players, right. Now that dadgum cowbell is a different story. Maybe Baseball Papa could use his elderly authority and have that cowbell retired. Just kidding. Are cowbells in style anymore. I do not actually recall seeing a cow wearing one. But I do live on the Beach and have to admit, I don't see that many cows as it is. Think positive people. You have definitely ran out of topicsa when we're discussing a boombox.

quote:
Originally posted by Bandit_Hawk

Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No disrespect intended... Thats just how I feel about a "boombox"!
Go to Top of Page

LLH

98 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a comment that I was surprised to have a 13yr old playing one. My personal opinion is against them, but never directed at the Bandits.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  11:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing this to MLB is kind of funny, even those guys don't get music playing during thier wind-up. But hey it's not your pitcher, who cares.

I bet your right though, it's not really the kids who care, it's the parents being annoyed by the music and some the the music choices are well in my day would have landed you in jail hahahahaha.

I say cheer on and enforce the artifical noise policies uniformally. This way there is no debate.BTW, there is a kid, most likely the brother of a player who can whistle like there's no tomorrow. While I find it extreamly rude and annoying, it is amazing how loud this kid can get.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  13:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked my nephew last night if he wanted walk out music, his answer was "YES!! that would be beast"....I would assume most 10-11-12yr old kids would have a similar reaction. The only people that have an issue are the parents?? BTW are we doing travel ball for the kids or the parents? Doesn't seem to me you can have it both ways, the kids love it and that is who we do this for!

Edited by - Spartan4 on 04/13/2011 15:15:47
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  15:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we played at the Elites last summer, there were several teams (Team Miami comes to mind) that had "cooler" boom boxes. They played music in between innings, and during their warm ups. I thought it was pretty neat, and it pumped the boys up.
I don't see why that is such a problem - like Papa said, the game is meant to be fun. Letting a 10-12yr old walk up to his own theme music is pretty cool for them. Would have been way cool for us back in the day too, if we wouldn't have had to use 18 D batteries and an 8 track deck!
Go to Top of Page

bobo

28 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  16:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I saw Ol Papa doing the Moonwalk when chainsaw came up to bat.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  18:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reallycoach: Just for information the Bandits do not play the music except as they walk up to bat and between innings. Once anyone is batting on our team or the opposing team the music stops and it is not played while the ball is in play. We try and be very respectful but there is sometimes an issue with a team on the opposite field that can hear the music and we either stop playing the music or turn it down to where it does not distract the other field. As long as you respect the feelings and concerns of others I do not see where the music is anything other than good clean fun. The boys love it and most of the fans seem to enjoy it although for sure it does not fit for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

bluecup

49 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  19:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kids also often like chanting, admiring their home runs, yelling "drop it" or "Swing," and other things that opposing teams might rightly deem unsportsmanlike. I don't think "kids like it and it's their game" is enough justification in and of itself, if opposing teams think it's uncool.

I can see both sides--I definitely understand the fun aspects of it for the kids, but I also certainly can see how it would be deemed to be "showing off" and a bit insensitive to other teams, especially if you're killing folks game after game (the "good natured" part of it turns to obnoxious at some point---just like a "tic tic boom" chant on a home run is a bit over the top when the score is 23-0).

Would a team be permitted to bring a portable PA system and announce each player's name and nickname as he comes to the plate and shoot off fireworks for each home run or strike out (like the Braves do), so their team's players can feel like big leaguers?
I'm sure the kids would like it.

Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  20:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son played in a Barrett Fletcher World Series 3 years ago and there were a couple of teams from Peurto Rico there. Their fans had drums, whistles, horns, etc. and they really cheered for their team between innings and after great plays. They were very interesting to listen to and watch. They would sing and cheer like there was no tomorrow. I never heard any complaints from the other teams. They really had a good time and to be honest, it was an awesome sight to see.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  21:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bluecup, what a great idea! I wonder if the TD's would allow it??

quote:
Originally posted by bluecup

Would a team be permitted to bring a portable PA system and announce each player's name and nickname as he comes to the plate and shoot off fireworks for each home run or strike out (like the Braves do), so their team's players can feel like big leaguers?
I'm sure the kids would like it.

Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  22:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL.....I'll just stick to my original opinion that all of this is targeted at one team....If that team didn't consistently beat the snot out of the rest of the state I don't think this would ever come up, it is just something else to whine about. I'll bet if the team that got beat 40-1 had some walk up music not one word would be said...
Go to Top of Page

kaytrishjr

45 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  08:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that at the end of the day, these are kids. If they enjoy it, play the boom boxes. What does it hurt....maybe your ears? I've never heard a kid say that he doesn't want walk up music.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  08:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very happy to hear that the Bandits are considerate of other teams on other fields, wish all teams would be that considerate.

I witnessed an exchange two years ago at Disney with a team out of Puerto Rico. Same kind of actions, bells, whistles, drums. The TD shut it down almost immedatly. I felt bad for these guys because it is part of thier baseball culture. However, and those who have been to Disney know, the separation between fields isn't much. The drums were so loud that the 1st base coach on the opposite field was having trouble communicating with the runner. Now I have never heard a boom box that loud, but the TD shut down all atifical noise to ensure there was no debate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000