General Discussion
 2nd Mound Visit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JCB

88 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  11:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone see the SF vs. LA game last night where the coach was charged for a 2nd mound visit when the first baseman asked him to come back to the mound (for more discussion) after coach had taken two steps off the mound. SF manager came out and said that the act of stepping off the mound towards dugout and then stepping on mound again constituted a 2nd mound visit and pitcher had to be pulled. I thought the mound visit was not officially over until the coach crossed back over foul line or until ball was put back into play, but apparently I was wrong. Seems petty to be able to call that a 2nd mound visit. Must admit as a SF fan I was OK with the outcome. Giants won when new pitcher gave up bases clearing double after Dodger ace reliever was forced to leave game.

Anyone ever seen this before???

bball-fan

89 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  11:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once the manager steps on the grass (and off the dirt of the mound) he has officially ended his visit. He took two steps, and even if it were only one step onto the grass, he did leave the mound and then return. He knew it once it happened. The Giants coach was just very observant, and good call. It was just a technicality, but then that's part of baseball.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  12:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought the same thing. However, here is a quote from an umpire on another board where a poster asked the same question:

I didnt see the event in question, yet the strict OBR rules that MLB play under dont give them much leeway.......the PBUC manual that guides the MLB crews says that "the conference is over when the manager leaves the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitcher plate and must keep going and not return to the mound...." NCAA is similar as well....

Personally I prefer the NFHS rule that states that the meeting ends when the manager crosses the foul line on his way back to the dugout.....

Now to real world applications....In the summer the majority of the fields I umpire on are dirt infields........the 18 foot circle is my judgment...and my crew consists of me and my partner....so there is other issues to attend to and less eyes to monitor such infraction...so to that end, I might not have enforced the strict letter of the rule in such a case.....

YET.........In the case of a field where there was a circle and I have seen the infraction, and on top of that an opposing manager mentions it to me, There is no choice but to enforce the rule as written...."

Hope that gives some explanation.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  12:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the Dodgers have seen it before because Bochy caught them in it a couple of years ago when Grady Little did the same thing.

Supposedly the umpires were aware that he had done it, but weren't going to enforce the rule until Bochy brought it up. I thought that seemed kind of weird.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  14:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an article on Yahoo about it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-mattinglyblunder072010
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  19:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is a funny story cause it is so petty but i have seen that call also many years ago when Giants Leo The Lip Derocher was caught on it .

really funny then because he had chewed out the pitcher whos name escapes me now walked off the mound then without invitation did an about face and went back to chew on him some more !

ump caught it once he left second time and forced him to remove pitcher from the game cant remeber now who was madder Derocher or the pitcher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000