General Discussion
 Team to Team to Team
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gamer13

16 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  10:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question: What do you think of a player who goes from team to team to team year after year? What it tells me is that the parents are difficult and are never satisfied. Just wanted some feedback on this.

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  18:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or that those parents want their player to play for the best team with an available spot. Sometimes one season is more than enough for a player or his parents to see that a team isn't what they actually thought it was when they committed. Of all the teams that we have played for the paying only uni's up front and then paying week to week for tourneys has been the best fit. Coaches could ask a bad apple to leave or pick up a kid who was worthy and without a team. I think that 80% of people that played for that particular team would say that was the best team and the best time they had playing travel ball.
Go to Top of Page

Bubbasdad

86 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  19:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe as a coach and parent you have to put youre son in the best position possible if it doesnt work move on if he is talented enough he will find the right team for him.
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  20:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on what state. In Florida a lot of kids guest play with several teams during the fall and spring. I think we guest played with 6 teams this year with a 7th coming up at the end of this month. Also its not always the parent or the kid. We left a team where all the kids and parents were GREAT but the coach had no clue. Also you have to account for the daddy ball factor in some of these cases. I have seen teams from Florida to Georgia where dad is a coach and has his son playing in a position that there are better kids on a team more suited for those positions.

I will use my son as the example. My son plays 11u and 14u. I can tell you the biggest difference in relation to this discussion is that at 14u these young men must earn their positions on the field and in the batting order ALWAYS. Where in the 11u age bracket that may not always be the case depending on the coach and the team/parent makeup. To use batting order as an example. This 11u coach I am speaking of use to hold hitting contest during practice. Depending on how many points you scored would determine your slot in the batting order. Well to make a long story short this teams cleanup hitter (#4 Hitter ) was batting leadoff in one tournament after this practice. You dont see crazy stuff like that in the older age groups LOL. Now I know this is not common for most 11u teams but I only mention it to make a point.

At the older age group most coaches dont have a kid on the team and its his way or the highway. So theres no room for daddy or in most cases political ball. Plus the big field has a way of exposing a players flaws. So it becomes harder for coaches to hide their childs lack of ability at a certain position just because mom, dad or coach wants them to play there.

So in a nutshell I never fault kids or parents for playing with multiple teams during a year. You never know the whole story behind something like that and in most cases not only the coach but also the parents have an axe to grind.
Go to Top of Page

Goin Deep

140 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  22:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have thought about that as well. BUT......It is not always the player or the parents, sometimes it is the coach or the team. My son plays 12u (rising 13u) and has been on several teams. In ALL cases, daddy ball was a factor, as well as coaching style and knowledge of the game. Yes, we all try to find the perfect fit (and you wont, by the way), but close is good enough. We will ALWAYS search for the best fit, year after year. We all pay too much money to be played in the wrong position, be under utilized,OVER utilized, or not played in favor of Daddy ball. Patience will pay off, if your son has talent.

GREAT TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

fielder

14 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  00:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spartan said it well. Sometimes teams just aren't what you were sold at the beginning of the season. Maybe those parents see what they believe to be a better option for their son. Sometimes players just don't grow in certain situations and the parents are searching for the right situation. Also, sometimes teams just fall apart for one reason or another. Bottom line is that parents have to do what is best for their own child in any situation and if that situation is toxic, stagnant, or just plain uncomfortable, then it's time search elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  08:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they repeatedly go team-to-team mid-season, (not subbing, but leaving permanently) my opinion of them falls. However, if they complete their commitments each season, then I'm not throwing them under the bus, and would want to learn more to find out why they jump so much before passing final judgment. There are perfectly acceptable explanations for team hopping to some extent, but at some point, its a warning signal.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so many teams out there so man promises made not kept so many ranting parents to listen to ad nauseum.

all of this leads many people to research alternatives yearly\\not to mention maybe the son needs to play up the next year from previous talent level of team

i say NO PROBLEM if a player jumps fall to fall we as parents have created th problem to some extent by creating so many teams.

jumping before end of season ? THAT is a warning signn
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This response is based on my understanding of your answer so if I am wrong please excuse me.

Why would anyone want to stay on a team, at an amusement park, on a beach or in a restaurant if they were not happy. I group all these things together because playing ball is also about having fun and finding the perfect fit for your child.

If you are not happy then why stay through the season?

Why spend the thousands of dollars to complete a season with a team you are not happy with?

Why lose a year of playing in that age group in the wrong position just because a coach wants his son playing that position?

Why stay on a team when you feel like an outsider with the other parents?

Why stay on a team when you dont get much playing time?

Why stay on a team when your child is being overused?

Why stay on a team when a coach has no real knowledge of baseball?

Why stay on any team when you as a parent and the child dont feel its the best fit for whatever reason?

And lastly WHY throw a kid or parent under the bus for team hoping just because it doesnt fit your approach to baseball?

My approach to youth baseball may be different than yours. My philosophy of whats best for my child at this age may be different than yours. So in my humble opinion never judge another parent or childs motives for joining or leaving multiple teams. In order for a team to be a real team that means that the coaches, parents and players have to ALL put the team first and do whats in the best interest of the team in order for it to be a real team. How many real teams can you name that does this? I personally cant name many of the ones I know.

I just thought of a good example to maybe make my point a little clearer. I have two friends who are coaches of very good Major level teams. Both have shortstops that are very good pitchers as well. Both coaches have players that are better shortstops than these other two that pitch. Both coaches have told me that if they move these kids off shortstop that they will lose them ( Pitchers ) plus a couple of other kids on their team ( Because these parents are all friends ). Now even though I can understand their position for keeping these pitchers at SS. Is this really putting the team first when there is someone better at the position or is this catering to a few kids and parents? Also if you cater to a few and not all is it really a team?

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

If they repeatedly go team-to-team mid-season, (not subbing, but leaving permanently) my opinion of them falls. However, if they complete their commitments each season, then I'm not throwing them under the bus, and would want to learn more to find out why they jump so much before passing final judgment. There are perfectly acceptable explanations for team hopping to some extent, but at some point, its a warning signal.

Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  17:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has been on 4 teams in 5 years, and will move a new team for spring 2011. Each move has been predicated on getting better, and improving the coaching situation. All have come with learning experiences and hindsite. That being said, this next move is due to his hitting coach starting a team and he will play for them. I would've wanted him to play for the same team for the 4 years, but until you get to paid, non-parent coaches, the majority of Dads, while well meaning suffer from enormous bias with their kids on the team. He has been happy and is getting ready for high school, that is his/our goal.
Go to Top of Page

bkball

173 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gamer13

Question: What do you think of a player who goes from team to team to team year after year? What it tells me is that the parents are difficult and are never satisfied. Just wanted some feedback on this.

You are 100% wrong, my son has been cut every season since 9 so we have been forced to leave teams with his friends. I would have stayed with every team and I dont say anything about playing time or anything, just happy my son is happy on a team. What do you think about that.
Go to Top of Page

WPBulls Coach

99 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  08:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bkball

You are 100% wrong, my son has been cut every season since 9 so we have been forced to leave teams with his friends. I would have stayed with every team and I dont say anything about playing time or anything, just happy my son is happy on a team. What do you think about that.

Sorry that your son has to go through with this. Why does he get cut every year? It sounds like he is playing on quality teams and hopefully is improving each year. If he isn't getting playing time and they are trying to improve their "bench" why not move him to a team/level where he can be one of the stars or at least a full time starter.
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a fair question. For me, if I see a kid that hops from team to team each year, it does raise a flag. As stated in previous posts, there are numerous good reasons why this could happen. There are also not so good reasons why this could happen. It's no different than interviewing someone for a position in my company. If I see a pattern of frequent job changes, I'm going to ask for the reasons why. Doesn't mean the person has no shot at the job, but I need to feel comfortable with the reasons.

Same thing with travel ball. My coaching philosophy is to find kids and families that can stick together for multiple seasons. That's just my preference, and is my right as a coach to want this. I put a lot of effort into my teams, and I want to think that we're all working together for a common goal. If I find a kid that is simply looking for the next big opportunity or is interested in my team as a fallback option until such time that he finds a better situation, I'm going to pass. Doesn't mean that the kid or family in question is wrong, just that our goals are not aligned. Some teams would be happy to have a stud for a season, so those kids should look in that direction.

On the flipside, there is movement in travel ball, so if I talk to a family who has moved their son around and they provide reasonable reasons for that movement, then I would consider that kid in an instant in the hopes of providing them what they've been missing. There's no golden rule, only adults using good judgment. That's usually the tricky part, because I suspect most of these issues occur when both the coach and the parents are not honest and up front with each other going in to the relationship.

Edited by - SSBuckeye on 07/13/2010 09:50:08
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coachdan06[quote]Originally posted by G-Man

This response is based on my understanding of your answer so if I am wrong please excuse me.

Why would anyone want to stay on a team, at an amusement park, on a beach or in a restaurant if they were not happy. I group all these things together because playing ball is also about having fun and finding the perfect fit for your child.

Why spend the thousands of dollars to complete a season with a team you are not happy with?

Why lose a year of playing in that age group in the wrong position just because a coach wants his son playing that position?

Why stay on any team when you as a parent and the child dont feel its the best fit for whatever reason?

And lastly WHY throw a kid or parent under the bus for team hoping just because it doesnt fit your approach to baseball?

My approach to youth baseball may be different than yours. My philosophy of whats best for my child at this age may be different than yours. So in my humble opinion never judge another parent or childs motives for joining or leaving multiple teams. In order for a team to be a real team that means that the coaches, parents and players have to ALL put the team first and do whats in the best interest of the team in order for it to be a real team. How many real teams can you name that does this? I personally cant name many of the ones I know.

I just thought of a good example to maybe make my point a little clearer. I have two friends who are coaches of very good Major level teams. Both have shortstops that are very good pitchers as well. Both coaches have players that are better shortstops than these other two that pitch. Both coaches have told me that if they move these kids off shortstop that they will lose them ( Pitchers ) plus a couple of other kids on their team ( Because these parents are all friends ). Now even though I can understand their position for keeping these pitchers at SS. Is this really putting the team first when there is someone better at the position or is this catering to a few kids and parents? Also if you cater to a few and not all is it really a team?

====================================================================

GM : the reaasons you stay in spite of all the negatives above is COMMITMENT COMMITMENT COMMITMENT

what is an outsider as a parent anyway and what self respecting parent really gives a hoot if there inside or outside ? sounds like nothing more than gossip rights and after game social rights.

that is not why our children were at the games for we had them there to start then to finish and ignore all the noise in between including the parnets whos child was the gift to us all and was never at fault for anything , it was the ump the coach or the other teammates that caused him to fail. you forgot to mention that one as a reason to quit because for many it is .

as to catering to some players and not to others no it is not a team , he is not a coach just a politico is is being controlled by others and that is cowardly.

my best to all

Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  11:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that you must look at each situation. My son will be 10 and has played for probably 6 teams if you look at his roster on usssa. Several of these teams were start up teams that just never made it work(lots of turnover some kids just not ready to play at this level). One team we only played with during fall and told the coaches this ahead of time, even though i think they hoped we would stay longer. I did leave one team on short notice just before the season started btween 8 and 9 year old because the coaches never called, practiced or anything from july to feb. I felt like the team would not be prepared to move from coach pitch to kid pitch and another team which had kid pitch experience offered us a position. We usually do change teams in the fall because our travel team is an hour away and my son does like to play ball with his friends from our town as well. I wish we could play in town year round but in a small town the choices of teams and coaches is very limited and in the past has primarily just a group of friends and not as competitive. It is a difficult decision each year and we attempt to make it about my son having fun, but we also have to consider whether he is learning if we are to committ the time and $$$.
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  14:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coachdan06: First I want to say I am only mentioning this for discussion reasons. Why should a player or parent make a commitment to a coach/team when there is no real reason for commitment? How can a player or parent commit when the most important member of a TEAM hasnt made a true commitment to the team.( The Coaches )

Maybe you are scratching your head right now and asking what the heck is this man talking about LOL. Well I wont go through all the reasons but to just point out a few to get my point across. Is there really a commitment to a team by a coach that plays daddy/political ball, or is there a commitment by a coach who has no real knowledge of the game and how to teach one of his ball players to improve a particular skill set. Is there real commitment by a coach to a team that he overuses a young mans arm just to get that win. I could give many more examples but I am sure you get the point.

Coaches in my opinion are the catalyst of commitment. If a coach is setting the wrong example for whatever reason then how can one expect a player or parent to make a real commitment that a teams coaches have not. I have coached high school and college baseball and more than understand the team dynamics that coaches face. However some of these issues dont excuse a coach who puts his own selfish reasons above a team. So in retrospect these type coaches are not committed to a team so why should anyone else make a commitment that a coach hasnt truly made by setting the right example.

On a side note : Sure we as parents want to teach our children life lessons about commitment. However just because its travel baseball doesnt mean it has to be taught there when the child or parent is unhappy with a team. I mean where is it written that in order to teach a child a life lesson they have to be placed in a negative situation.

quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

coachdan06[quote]Originally posted by G-Man

====================================================================

GM : the reaasons you stay in spite of all the negatives above is COMMITMENT COMMITMENT COMMITMENT

what is an outsider as a parent anyway and what self respecting parent really gives a hoot if there inside or outside ? sounds like nothing more than gossip rights and after game social rights.

that is not why our children were at the games for we had them there to start then to finish and ignore all the noise in between including the parnets whos child was the gift to us all and was never at fault for anything , it was the ump the coach or the other teammates that caused him to fail. you forgot to mention that one as a reason to quit because for many it is .

as to catering to some players and not to others no it is not a team , he is not a coach just a politico is is being controlled by others and that is cowardly.

my best to all

Go to Top of Page

AA17Dad

211 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  21:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G-man well said, well put. Some folks have more tolerance than others. I see no reason for a kid/family to honor any commitment that the coach doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  09:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that will drive me to make a change is "daddy ball". I just have no tolerance for it. Baseball is a team game and the team deserves to have the coach put it's best foot forward.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  03:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMEN JIM!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  11:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as we're giving opinions, here's mine - Many of the issues regarding someone either leaving a team or being asked not to come back at the end of the year are very avoidable with a couple of key questions BEFORE the commitment is made at the beginning of the year. Particularly, ask the coach for an assessment of your child's tryout, where their strengths and weaknesses are (running, hitting, hitting for power, fielding (outfield and infield), pitching and catching), and where the coach invisions them playing. If the coach's assessment of your child differs significantly from what you know your child's strengths and weaknesses to be - red flag. However, if you go through this with two or three coaches, and all of the coaches are saying the same thing and it differs from your own assessment - then you may want to review YOUR assessment of your own child's strengths and weaknesses - or at least ask a close friend you trust that you know will give you an honest answer. Everyone loves their own child and wants to see them succeed - that's the way it should be. In the same way that coaches can turn a blind eye to their own child's weaknesses, non-coaching parents do the same thing. I'd also say that if someone is willing to take on the chore of starting and managing a team during the year, then I would give them the benefit of the doubt about positioning players, particularly their own, to some extent. If you can't live with that - either start your own travel team and take on that responsibility or have fun in rec ball.
Our experience this year was that we actually had to beg and plead with our coach to put his own son at SS, because he was so reluctant to put him there for fear of the "daddy ball" label. We basically tried everyone on the team (unsuccessfully) before he put his own son there. Once he did, dramatic improvement to the team's overall defense. If you want to be in charge - then BE in charge. And if you're signing up to let someone else be in charge, then LET them be in charge.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are too many travel teams....with 4 million AA teams that all have 1 or 2 good kids there would be more elite level teams. Travel ball is way way way too watered down, and that is a problem that will breed the team to team jumping. A parent has many many options but only a couple are Major options. That is another issue I see..
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  00:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a couple of problems with this approach. First what about the kids who dont tryout and are asked to play for a particular team and the parents and kid agree and then find out the coach/team makeup isnt what was pitched? Second issue I see with this approach is the fact that some of these coaches will lie just to fill another spot within their lineup that fills a hole. They will tell a kid and parent everything they think they want to hear just to get them on the team and hope that even though they were lied to that they will still keep their commitment to the team.

As for giving coaches the benefit of the doubt as it relates to positioning players. This is a slippery slope. I can use my son as a good example that just happened this year. He was recruited hard by an 11u Major team. They told us everything we wanted to hear to convince us to join them. My son happens to play SS. I asked the coach directly would he have the opportunity to win the SS position. Long story short he never got the opportunity and they had holes in their outfield and wanted him for that. Now this was a dad coaching that was getting a lot of political influence pressure from a couple of parents. Yet even though this dad coach didnt give my son that opportunity to become their starting SS. A 14u major team that has a non dad coach starts my son either at SS or 2nd base every game as an 11 year old. So me personally just because a person starts a team doesnt mean they know anything about positioning players or evaluating talent.

There is an old saying. Its hard to get a man to understand something when his paycheck depends on him not understanding it.

quote:
Originally posted by baldy87

As long as we're giving opinions, here's mine - Many of the issues regarding someone either leaving a team or being asked not to come back at the end of the year are very avoidable with a couple of key questions BEFORE the commitment is made at the beginning of the year. Particularly, ask the coach for an assessment of your child's tryout, where their strengths and weaknesses are (running, hitting, hitting for power, fielding (outfield and infield), pitching and catching), and where the coach invisions them playing. If the coach's assessment of your child differs significantly from what you know your child's strengths and weaknesses to be - red flag. However, if you go through this with two or three coaches, and all of the coaches are saying the same thing and it differs from your own assessment - then you may want to review YOUR assessment of your own child's strengths and weaknesses - or at least ask a close friend you trust that you know will give you an honest answer. Everyone loves their own child and wants to see them succeed - that's the way it should be. In the same way that coaches can turn a blind eye to their own child's weaknesses, non-coaching parents do the same thing. I'd also say that if someone is willing to take on the chore of starting and managing a team during the year, then I would give them the benefit of the doubt about positioning players, particularly their own, to some extent. If you can't live with that - either start your own travel team and take on that responsibility or have fun in rec ball.
Our experience this year was that we actually had to beg and plead with our coach to put his own son at SS, because he was so reluctant to put him there for fear of the "daddy ball" label. We basically tried everyone on the team (unsuccessfully) before he put his own son there. Once he did, dramatic improvement to the team's overall defense. If you want to be in charge - then BE in charge. And if you're signing up to let someone else be in charge, then LET them be in charge.

Go to Top of Page

baseballinsider

9 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  11:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandit Hawk you are dead on it. "Daddy ball needs to go back to rec".Yes, a coach should do what's best for the team not for there own.I've seen ballgames lost because of this. So sad to see this in coaches.
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  12:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man

There is a couple of problems with this approach. First what about the kids who dont tryout and are asked to play for a particular team and the parents and kid agree and then find out the coach/team makeup isnt what was pitched? Second issue I see with this approach is the fact that some of these coaches will lie just to fill another spot within their lineup that fills a hole. They will tell a kid and parent everything they think they want to hear just to get them on the team and hope that even though they were lied to that they will still keep their commitment to the team.

As for giving coaches the benefit of the doubt as it relates to positioning players. This is a slippery slope. I can use my son as a good example that just happened this year. He was recruited hard by an 11u Major team. They told us everything we wanted to hear to convince us to join them. My son happens to play SS. I asked the coach directly would he have the opportunity to win the SS position. Long story short he never got the opportunity and they had holes in their outfield and wanted him for that. Now this was a dad coaching that was getting a lot of political influence pressure from a couple of parents. Yet even though this dad coach didnt give my son that opportunity to become their starting SS. A 14u major team that has a non dad coach starts my son either at SS or 2nd base every game as an 11 year old. So me personally just because a person starts a team doesnt mean they know anything about positioning players or evaluating talent.

There is an old saying. Its hard to get a man to understand something when his paycheck depends on him not understanding it.

Hi G-Man:

I think we're on the same page. I don't think anyone would advocate playing for a coach who obviously lied about what their intentions were. And I don't think anyone would recommend playing for a team that you didn't try out for either. There's a TON to the dynamics of any team, as you know, and probably the biggest hurdle is to trust the motives for the decisions that a coach is making. That was the point of what I was trying to say (probably saying poorly, too).

Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  14:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son just finished his 8u travel baseball season, and it was a blast!!!
Go to Top of Page

baldy87

118 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  15:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Justadad

Baldy, your comment on daddy ball caught my attention as we have a similar situation. My son play SS on a 7YO all star team and the coaches son is clearly better. The coaches son plays 2B and 1B. The problem we have is that he is being accused of daddy ball because of that, so some consider more than just SS as a preferred position. My point is where did you SS play before being moved?

Regarding one of your other post:

"If you like walks, wild pitches, automatic advancing to 3rd when you get a runner on 1st (no catchers can throw anyone out at this level) and a strike zone the size and shape of the state of Oklahoma (umps have to be liberal with the outside corner or everyone would walk) then 8 year old kid pitch is the place to be. Nothing personal, it's just a more boring game."

I felt that way until my son (9U) starting pitching. What position does your son play and has he pitched? That will change things.

We're probably in a completely different situation. Our team was an 8 year old coach pitch team. We played in one kid-pitch tourney this year, and my son did not pitch. The head coach's son spent 3/4 of the year at 2B, while we tried most every other kid on the team at SS, only to watch all of them struggle. His son had 2B nailed down. But, it was frustrating because 2B is a relatively easy position to play at this level (short throw, plenty of time to knock a ball down and still make a play) and we had other kids that could handle 2B. Once he moved his kid to SS, we became a much better defensive team.

My comments about 8U kid pitch were based on our experience in the one tournament. We did surprisingly well (3-2), considering it was our only KP tournament of the year. But, my comments are fairly accurate. Once a team got a runner on, it seemed to be only a matter of time until that runner was on third after two wild pitches/passed balls. And then, any ball in play scored the run. We also tried to teach our kids the strike zone during the week leading up to the tournament, and then we had several kids take called third-strikes that literally hit the dirt or the catcher almost couldn't reach them because they were so far outside. I don't blame the umps because they HAVE to expand the strike zone or it would just be a walk-fest.

I know that coach pitch is just glorified slow-pitch softball and that we'll get a serious dose of medicine once we start trying to compete against teams that have had a whole year of kid-pitch, but we sure had an absolute blast this year, and the games were just really exciting, since everyone smacked the ball in every at bat. Our only setback was the heartburn that a very few number of parents seemed to have with allowing the coach to position the kids in the best place to help the team. Coaches certainly are prone to give their own kids preferential treatment in many instances, but in some cases, the non-coaching parents have a really hard time being objective as well. And, it sometimes actually ends up back-firing on a coach who may be very aware of parents' desires to play kids in a specific position when he yields to that pressure.

Next year will be fun, and I'm sure you're right - I'm sure my perception will change when we start tackling all of the nuances that go with "real" baseball.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000