New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  08:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason was one of those kids with rare one in a life time talent and I'm just glad the coaches along the way whether it be ECB or his high school teams just didn't screw up what a great talent he already was when they got him:)
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  09:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

12ucoach:
I was using the usssa roster history to look up high school juniors and seniors, not MLB players. I figured if a star high school player is now 16 or 17, he'd likely show up in 12u,13u,14u. I know my sons history goes back 4 years to when he was 7 and began in travel ball. I didnt see it as that much of a leap to think I'd find High School players' history's too.

Moser : My many weary years of coaching now watching say that you start paying attention to Elite rosters at 14 years old.

Before then its a crapshoot , lot of Dad coaches are in the mix influencing matters, and so on.

JMHO
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  09:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you on this. Once they hit 14u it tends to weed a lot of the dads out from a coaching aspect. At this age its difficult for a dad to coach and influence a lineup. Coaches at this age group again tend to have either played college ball or have coached beyond the travel ball levels in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

12ucoach:
I was using the usssa roster history to look up high school juniors and seniors, not MLB players. I figured if a star high school player is now 16 or 17, he'd likely show up in 12u,13u,14u. I know my sons history goes back 4 years to when he was 7 and began in travel ball. I didnt see it as that much of a leap to think I'd find High School players' history's too.

Moser : My many weary years of coaching now watching say that you start paying attention to Elite rosters at 14 years old.

Before then its a crapshoot , lot of Dad coaches are in the mix influencing matters, and so on.

JMHO

Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  11:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be more inclined to say that it starts at 15u, unless your kid gets on a school feeder program at 14. Many teams continue until their kid gets into HS. Not many dads coach once their kid gets to HS, up till then, they stick with it.

However, I will say that by 14u, most kids have settled into their level of play. In other words, you will probably not have a really bad coaches kid playing a significant role on a really good 14u travel team. I would think a coach would have filled his roster with other kids who are at or near the same talent level as his own kid. If the coaches kid is really bad, the good kids will have left the team and word would have gotten out as to what is going on and the team would not attract any top level performers.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  20:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree with U14 elite rosters being the real deal earlier years are too crazy

Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  22:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's get this over with. 11U doesn't matter.
Go to Top of Page

kehndog

88 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  22:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed beanball. Anyone who needs 3-1/2 more pages of opinions on this topic can go to the 15-18 General Discussion forum.

Edited by - kehndog on 05/09/2010 22:32:28
Go to Top of Page

justin case

57 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  08:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you beanball and kehndog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: