New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

michaelp

20 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  12:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I should have read that post before pressing enter. That should be do not "due". Great story in the Sports Illustrated this week about Jason Heyward and East Cobb Baseball.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  15:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was there any verbal abuse made on the part of EC toward the people putting on the tourney? Does not seem any support coming out of that camp. I cant blame someone for not responding to a message board. That is a no win situation

Edited by - jaguars18 on 04/16/2010 18:52:14
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  15:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That rockin and rollin train is making your brain hurt. at least thats what Jimmy said
quote:
Originally posted by michaelp

Wow I should have read that post before pressing enter. That should be do not "due". Great story in the Sports Illustrated this week about Jason Heyward and East Cobb Baseball.

Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  19:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tragic at any level. Tragic an adult can not respond to the coach to clarify any issues. Played in Hunstville, Super NIT, all GA teams scheduled to play at 6:00 pm on Friday, all AL teams played at 8 or on Saturday. 2 teams didn't get there until 6:30, forfiet loss. I have heard that USSSA is black balling anyone that plays Nations Baseball. I also heard that some major teams are not going to the Elite 32 because of the non-responsiveness of USSSA.
Go to Top of Page

Storm Baseball

212 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  19:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice Seinfeld reference...not that there is anything wrong with it! :-)
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  20:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's most likely due to the chances that Jimmy and michaelp being one and the same is over 80%.
Go to Top of Page

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  23:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldmanmj

Tragic at any level. Tragic an adult can not respond to the coach to clarify any issues. Played in Hunstville, Super NIT, all GA teams scheduled to play at 6:00 pm on Friday, all AL teams played at 8 or on Saturday. 2 teams didn't get there until 6:30, forfiet loss. I have heard that USSSA is black balling anyone that plays Nations Baseball. I also heard that some major teams are not going to the Elite 32 because of the non-responsiveness of USSSA.

Hey money talks Bull**** walks. Hey maybe they will have to learn the hard way by Ga teams not spending their money with them. There is a lot of Ga teams that read these posts. I would be leary about playing in Alabama after reading this.
Go to Top of Page

ecbstars

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  00:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see in order: No, No, I have no idea what his limitations are. Whatever the border wars situation might have been, that is still unfortunate and unreasonable for 11 year old children. Am I nuts that my kid has a 10:00 bedtime on weekends / 9:00 during the week? Seriously?

quote:
Originally posted by mrbama31

ESEC2100,
Did your team refuse to play at 11pm? Did he try to give you an earlier time slot but you couldn't make it due to travel? I guess what I am asking is did he give you 11pm due to problems with field limitations and or your availability limitations. Oh and yes I have seen 11pm start times for Friday Night games for traveling teams in the Border Wars tournament in Chattanooga.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  21:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bedtime?

Edited by - mrbama31 on 04/18/2010 21:05:37
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  11:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this day and age of High Techonology.....there has to a "Zapruder Video" somewhere on this Alabama U-Trip thing. I can see it now, a grainy 8mm film showing the Alabama directors huddled up in a smokey, back room at a local package store, conspiring to shut out Georgia teams from their tournaments..funny. I say vote with your dollar, play where your respected and let the it work itself out.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  23:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ecbstars,
I am on your side, and I have long been on record that I think that any tournament director that schedules a team to play the 8:30pm game on Fri night, then the 8:30am game on Sat morning is just being lazy, for any team to expect to always be finished on Fri or Sat night in time to get kids to bed by 10pm is probably not suited for travel ball. There are always 8:30pm games on Fri and Sat night, which start late and are not over until 11. You usually don't get to bed until midnight. The hope is you don't have the 8:30am game the next day. In elimiation play, it can happen.
Go to Top of Page

BROOKSTEAM

145 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  23:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for coming back to us on this. For sure we never refused anything. I was clear that since it was his tournament we would go with his direction. I asked two things:
1-Would Dee Black reconsider changing our schedule? He had originally told me out of town teams play all pool games on Sat and I requested to play one on Fri, but not 2 games and for sure not at 11pm start time.

2-If he was not able to change the schedule what would be our runs against ruling for a forfeit. There is/was a genuine concern for the safety of 11 year old boys in starting a game that late and I was hoping to offer an option to our coach and parents. We would have gladly taken the loss/forfeit if he could not re-schedule.

As to Dee Black's reason, that I still cannot tell you. To this date Dee Black has not returned my phone messages and when Dee Black emailed me he simply said sorry, he was not going to be at the tournament and did not want problems with parents, coaches and forfeits.

And again to remind everyone after the ECB Stars were removed from the tournament a statement was posted on the USSSA Alabama web site that was both untrue and embarrassing.

**Can you please tell me who hosted the Border Wars tournament that are referring to? I would love to have a copy of this schedule to show to some people**

quote:

ESEC2100,
Did your team refuse to play at 11pm? Did he try to give you an earlier time slot but you couldn't make it due to travel? I guess what I am asking is did he give you 11pm due to problems with field limitations and or your availability limitations. Oh and yes I have seen 11pm start times for Friday Night games for traveling teams in the Border Wars tournament in Chattanooga.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  08:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
esec2100,
Was your game scheduled for 10pm central time or 11pm central? I am not saying that DEE was right in all that he did...but here are that facts as you have stated...
1. he told you traveling teams will NOT play Friday night..I have to say that is
nice policy for him to have.
2. You WANTED to play Friday so you requested 1 game for Friday. He gave you 2 with
1 being at 10pm central time if I am guessing correctly..
3. This was NOT what you wanted either so you begin to talk about forfeiting your
last game because it is past your boys bedtime.
4. Dee was not going to be at the tournament that weekend for some reason...and a
forfeit may have stirred up all kinds of issues with other teams complaining
that your team and the other team you played received an unfair advantage due
not using pitching for 1 of your games/runs allowed/seeding issues.
5. SO instead of running the risk of upsetting the other teams he decided to pick
lesser of the 2 evils and drop yall from the tourney.

I am NOT saying that it was the right thing to do BUT there is a lesson to be learned here also..how is that song go..."YOU CANT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT"...and if you push to hard and yes...suggesting to him yall might forfeit because it is too late is pushing..you might find yourselves on the outside looking in.

And as for Border Wars in Chattanooga there is no website but it was a primer tournament for years in Chattanooga...Ask anyone that has been around for awhile and they will tell you about the late start times on Friday nights...and I will say this the boys LOVED it..playing baseball at midnight was cool to them...not so much for the parents though.

Edited by - mrbama31 on 04/19/2010 09:22:35
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 11pm finish times are ok, but I have a hard time with a 11am start time. That means the games won't get over until 1am. I would rather have a 7am start time on Sat.

The only time I have ever seen a 11pm start time was due to rain delays during the day and the tournament was trying to catch up. It started at 12 midnight and finished around 2am. The unfortunate thing is, the losing team had the 8am game the next day. This was in the 13U Elite last year.

I have heard of girls softball games being scheduled late, but not baseball tournaments.

Maybe just in AL.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter,
esec2100 keeps stating 11pm when the truth is it was 945pm central time...They were choosing to play in the central time zone..you cant beat the director up over his time zone...The director wasn't going to make them play at all on Friday...THEY WANTED a Friday game...but they wanted just 1 not 2 and they wanted on their terms not the tournaments. If you wanted to play Friday then you have to accept the times...Not start talking about causing problems by forfeiting.

quote:
Originally posted by Alter-Ego

I think 11pm finish times are ok, but I have a hard time with a 11am start time. That means the games won't get over until 1am. I would rather have a 7am start time on Sat.

The only time I have ever seen a 11pm start time was due to rain delays during the day and the tournament was trying to catch up. It started at 12 midnight and finished around 2am. The unfortunate thing is, the losing team had the 8am game the next day. This was in the 13U Elite last year.

I have heard of girls softball games being scheduled late, but not baseball tournaments.

Maybe just in AL.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past weekend Triple Crown had games starting at 945pm on Saturday night in the 11 yr old bracket.
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with Bama here. This is travel baseball....not rec league...and thou many of us feel our request are the most important....there are other teams in the tourney that the director has to deal with...my guess is they all had special requests...I can almost promise you that every team made some sort of request and all had to give a little to get a little...and when a coach starts making subtle threats(I'll just forfiet)...then I would say that the TD moved on to the next team in an effort to save time and aggrevation...thou I feel it is wrong for the TD to ignore you he has other teams to coordinate that are not threatening to forfiet...as for the 11pm start time...that does not seem to be the case as the times posted were 945pm Central time...you should have realized you were playing in CT...TD can't help that...and apparently someone had to play at 945 CT and had no problem with it...at 11u that is not an unreasonable start time...my son played a 10pm start time in BITS just two years ago and a 930pm start time at Border Wars...it's not unheared of...my experience has lead me to find that if you show up and let the kids play...it's a whole lot more rewarding for the kids, parents, coaches and TD if you play the hand your dealt without making too much of a roar...if you don't like the game times...move on to another tourney that will cater to your requests...seems that Alabama director gave you your money back...
Go to Top of Page

clg003

79 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh the plot thickens. I knew there had to be 2 sides to this.

You cannot talk about forfeiting. It’s one of the biggest concerns of a director. You get teams complaining about not getting there three games in and wanting money back and you get other teams saying it was an advantage to the pitchers of the forfeited teams. Some sanctions will not allow you to go to pool play if you forfeit and then the forfeited team wants money back. And if you don’t know the director that well then it’s a huge risk and lesson for all to learn from.

Not saying that the director handled himself perfectly because obviously he should have called you to discuss the matter more and to gauge the risk of your team forfeiting. If you don’t have time to talk to people and to redo the schedule many times over then you do not need to be running tournaments and USSSA should do something about making sure this doesn’t happen again.
Go to Top of Page

Trainbaseball

7 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter-ego,

We started a game at midnight in the past and finished about 1:30am on the Saturday night that you set the clocks ahead and then had a 9am game the next morning. Kids cleaned, fed, and in bed at about 3am, back to the field at 8am. We were playing 10u's in Scottsboro Alabama and ended up winning the tournament. Kids are tough.

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't like late start times, don't go to Cooperstown. Weather will cause many of their games to start after midnight on a regular basis. btw, that's midnight EST (6pm Hawaii)....

That said, the TD was certainly wrong and petty to provide his post on the website about your team being "difficult". He should have called you to inform you that you were welcome to participate under the schedule provided or withdraw. He could also have informed you that if your team willingly forfeit a game based on start time, you would be DQ'd from the remainder of the tourney without refund. Would have seemed reasonable to me.

Edited by - in_the_know on 04/19/2010 13:07:57
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mrbama31,
That makes sense. I forgot about the time change. I agree that it is a lot like putting a puzzle together.

I don't know if this is the way it worked out but...

I would say that if I was hosting and trying to put all this together, and a team asked to have one game on Fri night, and I moved things around, but had to give them two, a 7:30, and 9:45 (which would allowed the team to sleep in late on Sat since their pool games were out of the way) and they came back and said "We can't play the 9:45 game because that is almost 11:00 EST and our kids cannot stay up that late, I would be mad too. Now if they were also scheduled a 9:00am Sat game, I would say that is a different story.

Basically going into tournaments, you have to expect there is always a possibility of playing until Midnight (for that particular time zone. In CA, that could be 3am in the morning EST time).

Did you ever get your money back? I thought one post mentioned that the money had not actually been refunded yet.
Go to Top of Page

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  13:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a difference between a game being "scheduled" and actual start time.
Triple crown 11U had no games "scheduled" after 8:00pm. Any games started after 8:00pm were due to other games running over.
The Global Sports Tournament "scheduled" games at 9:45. With other games running over it is quite possible that these games could have started much later.
I don't have a dog in this fight so it really doesn't matter to me. I just think that if you are going to use examples from other tournaments that you should compare apples to apples.
quote:

This past weekend Triple Crown had games starting at 945pm on Saturday night in the 11 yr old bracket.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  13:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We played at Cooperstown last year (was runner up for week 5..thought i would brag a bit...lol) our last pool game finished at 245am. Whew I was tired the next day.

quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

If you don't like late start times, don't go to Cooperstown. Weather will cause many of their games to start after midnight on a regular basis. btw, that's midnight EST (6pm Hawaii)....

That said, the TD was certainly wrong and petty to provide his post on the website about your team being "difficult". He should have called you to inform you that you were welcome to participate under the schedule provided or withdraw. He could also have informed you that if your team willingly forfeit a game based on start time, you would be DQ'd from the remainder of the tourney without refund. Would have seemed reasonable to me.

Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  14:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peanut..Peanut...Peanut,
There were games SCHEDULED for SATURDAY night 945PM AT East Cobb this weekend for Triple Crown...I believe it was games 54 and 55...Look it up and then apologize please. Here is a link

http://www.triplecrownsports.com/showbracketgen.asp?tournyid=3847&divisionid=81

quote:
Originally posted by Peanutsr

There is a difference between a game being "scheduled" and actual start time.
Triple crown 11U had no games "scheduled" after 8:00pm. Any games started after 8:00pm were due to other games running over.
The Global Sports Tournament "scheduled" games at 9:45. With other games running over it is quite possible that these games could have started much later.
I don't have a dog in this fight so it really doesn't matter to me. I just think that if you are going to use examples from other tournaments that you should compare apples to apples.
quote:

Edited by - mrbama31 on 04/19/2010 14:32:47
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  14:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this link instead...11U

http://www.triplecrownsports.com/event_results2.asp?tournyid=3847
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly