New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ljames

48 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  10:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ king...That's what being a father is all about. Recognizing a mistake (and we all make them as parents) and correcting it. Sports teach our kids life lessons and we aren't too old to still learn a few even outside the fence. Your son can even learn a lot from your example. Great post!
Go to Top of Page

kaytrishjr

45 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  12:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@King...thanks for being honest, great story!
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  14:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadSkills

If you had to cut a player for arguing with the coaches, bouncing checks and being a bad seed, what would you tell prospective coaches if they called you asking about them?

Just heard of a family that has been let go from their 4th team in less then 2 years and most have been by the teams choice. Now, the kid is no angel himself and is an average ball player.

The ironic part is, the parents don't think they did anything wrong and can't understand why "lil" Johnny is being blacklisted.

Thoughts???

Must be an older kid if he is bouncing checks and agruing with umpires. I wouldn't give too much information about his playing ability because I have seen some kids move teams and coaches and become really good players. Coaches should evaluate talent without another coach having to give any insight. I would be a little skeptical of a coach trying to tell me about a players abilities if I thought he was good enough to play on my team after watching him workout. If the parents can't understand why little johnny is being blacklisted, then no one ever told them the truth. I would treat it like you would someone calling for a job reference if you owned a company or were this players supervisor. Maybe the parents and player changed, maybe they got his medication at the correct dose.
(Parent or player).
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  10:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
King; send me your email and phone # to baybombers2010@gmail.com you will have to do it through email.
Go to Top of Page

ECBRickyB

12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  22:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kingofthehill -- great post. Just curious? Did you wash those Cheetos down with some chilidogs? LOL
quote:
Originally posted by kingofthehill

I have been the dad with the reputation. The bad one. I can be loud. I have some coins in my pocket.I dress sort of flashy. Remember I am the guy that got banded from the park for arguing with the lady at the concession stand that short changed me. I did not play sports growing up as a kid because i was obese and my knees hurt. I spent a lot of weekends at home watch MTV and eating Cheetoes. .So it was easy for me to get the wrong idea about sports. My kid has really turned in a really good player. I have recently moved to Florida from Cincy and have had a new start for my kid. My son had a hard time finding a team all the time because of me. That was a hard pill to swollow. I thought I was helping him by being tough on coaches. However, I learned that I was just being hard on the boy. And what fixed me was.......a coach that was honest with me and the skills of my son. Not a bunch of tap dancing, not a bunch of emails, not a bunch of telling me what I wanted to hear. Just good ole honesty. Quote"your kid can play. He would be our #1 and bat 3rd. But you are an arse". And you are killing him with certain teams with your behavior." So now, I write my checks to the team, stand away from the dugouts and if I have an axe to grind I keep my mouth shut and let the coach, coach. As long as the coach is not abusive and the boy is having fun and improving I am happy. Now my boy has somewhere to play every weekend and he is getting better. Isn't that the goal.

Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.....is this the "king" I remember from the past???that is an unbelivable post and response from you...u have come a long way baby...we could all learn a lesson from kings post for sure...how many of us has gotten into a coaches grill about playing time, where he plays, game times, practice times, finances...thanks king...and at the end of the day our kids are the ones playing the game...good stuff king....papa will be shocked...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000