New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikewells

45 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  22:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW !! if your gonna pitch a fit your signs being stolen you dont belong in the game of baseball !!

if you dont appreciate the art and tradition of stealing the other teams signs then gotcha you never played baseball !!
Go to Top of Page

gabandit

25 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  09:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I believe that you are missing the point of my post. There is a distinct difference between Adult coaches of Youth baseball stealing signs from 10 yr old catchers and relaying them to their batters vs. what occurs in the Major Leagues... If the coaches that are on this board do not recognize that then I am glad that my son never played for you.

Be careful of generalizations... I played D1, was drafted and played up to the AA level...
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  10:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents...

Players observing and figuring out signs and tips is a great part of their baseball development

Coaches teaching players to observe and figure out signs and tipoffs etc. is a fundamental part of coaching...just like teaching them situational baseball and what to expect and when etc.

Adults and fans trying to figure it out and yelling it out etc is IDIOTIC ! Let the athletes play the game. You are a fan so keep it that way. Shut up and eat your nacho's, stadium dog and fries with your diet coke and enjoy the game....cause it passed you by and now it's your kids time...not yours !

Now with that said, when observing signs, tipoffs and tendencies etc., it needs to be done with the subtlety that the game deserves and the other team deserves. No need to broadcast it and no need anyone should even have any idea you are doing it ! Nobody like their nose rubbed in something so do it smoothly and in a stealth like fashion.

...just my 2 cents !
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  10:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True Story...Both teams involved were MAJOR teams in the 11yr old division a few years back. The team we were playing against had a player on their team that is the son of a MAJOR University head baseball coach here in Georgia. His Dad would sit in the stands and steal signs from the pitching coach to the catcher and rely them to not only his son but the entire team. I called him out on it. I played in the SEC AND professionally....I thought it was pathetic. I told him congrats.. you are smarter than an 11yr old. We did change our signs and we beat them several times that year. But he was always trying to steal signs.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  13:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a coach tell me in a game recently, "we have their signals do you want them" i said "hell no i want my kids to learn to see a curveball by the pitchers hand or rotation on the ball" when he gets to high school coach aint going to tell him whats coming.

The other thing is if you think most kids can throw what is called or locate it where its called good luck.

However i will steal your campaign sign out of your yard if i do not like it and you can tell me where radar is located on the way to the park.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000