Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  15:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

bmoser, you are right. We did terrible in an early tournament one year. Got knocked out in the 1st round of playoffs and came in 5th or 6th. Top 3 got berths. Turns out, the top 3 teams already had berths. Apparently when that happens, they pass the berths down. We got a berth in that tournament and never knew it until we were making changes to our roster later in the year. We were a 14 year old team and had a few kids who were playing middle school ball and didn't want to commit until after their season was over. Once they came to us, we tried to add them and got locked out of the roster page. This was like 2 months later. We had no idea we had been given a berth. USSSA would not take the berths back and let us try to re-earn a spot. We did not play any more USSSA tournaments that year. Don't assume that if there are 3 berths being given that the top three teams automatically get them. You could back into a berth, have your roster frozen and not even know it happened.

In that case USSSA should notify the coach that he has backed into a berth and ask them if they want it or not. They should not assume you want it. It should be the coaches call not USSSA.
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  16:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been talking mostly about USSSA rules, but do the other governing organizations (USTBA, BPA, Triple Crown, Grand Slam, Nations, etc.) have similar roster rules? BTW, I have heard of kids being on one team's USSSA roster and being on another team's roster for Triple Crown and Grand Slam. Seems confusing to me, but then, I just want to have my kid in a good situation with a good coach and good families. We've found that, so I'm not too worried ... just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  17:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not matter if you want it or not. Once you qualify, whether you reject the berth or not, your roster is still locked.

I have seen teams get hung up with this on qualifying for the Elite WS. Particularly teams out west where the Super NIT's are held in the Fall. Some play in it during the fall because it is the best available tournament but don't have their normal team. Oops, they up and qualify and now can only add 3 players to their roster for next summer.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  19:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens if you qualify for a berth and refuse it? Is your roster frozen then ??
Go to Top of Page

JCB

88 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  22:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how are rosters set if you qualify for the elite ws like the astros have, i.e., by winning the previous year's national title? excuse my redundancy if this string has already answered this point.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  01:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandit13

245 Posts
Posted - 01/26/2010 : 19:36:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens if you qualify for a berth and refuse it? Is your roster frozen then ??

Yes. If you qualify your roster will freeze regardless if you take the berth or not. The notification on your teams page in the "finishing order" box has always had an astrix in it and is highlited yellow if a team is "qualified. That has been that way for the last 4 years i know. The other notification on the front page is new this year.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  07:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can some one fill us in on Triple Crown's rules?

quote:
Originally posted by zwndad

We've been talking mostly about USSSA rules, but do the other governing organizations (USTBA, BPA, Triple Crown, Grand Slam, Nations, etc.) have similar roster rules? BTW, I have heard of kids being on one team's USSSA roster and being on another team's roster for Triple Crown and Grand Slam. Seems confusing to me, but then, I just want to have my kid in a good situation with a good coach and good families. We've found that, so I'm not too worried ... just curious.

Edited by - bmoser on 01/27/2010 09:04:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000