General Discussion
 USSSA Coaches Poll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  22:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone explain this ranking system to me? When are votes cast? How often? The results make very little sense so I'm guessing its become outdated. Is it worth keeping and reviving? Could there be any real value in it?

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  23:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure when the votes are totaled but coaches can vote once a day I believe. Have alot of coaches voting for their own team or not voting for teams who they dislike.

Edited by - Titan1 on 01/20/2010 10:11:22
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  10:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never put a lot of faith in the coaches poll because it is the only one of the 3 that is completely subjective. Points and power rankings are at least driven by math.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  12:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Titan1

Not sure when the votes are totaled but coaches can vote once a day I believe. Have alot of coaches voting for their own team or not voting for teams who they dislike.

Sounds like this would promote a truly accurate picture of the top teams to me ... no, wait a minute ... this would be a lot like the politics that run so many of our rec programs. To me, the power rating is the most useful rating in USSSA. I would like to see it include the games between teams of other classes though.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  20:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go look at the coaches ratings for your sons age group and class level. Now whatta you think!
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  09:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bandit,
I agree about using games from other classes in the equation. If you play USSSA tournaments in one age group up you should benefit from beating the older major teams.

To me you should get additional points for that.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking a weighting system could be devised. Teams that you played that were of a higher class would carry more weight and those of a lower class less weight.
Go to Top of Page

jaguars18

245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  11:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it a coaches poll or parents poll. 1 vote per team?

why not have top 10 at each level so the mid level teams can get some credit
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  13:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jaguars,
Parents (unless they are a dad coach) can't vote. You have to have a team login to vote. Otherwise it would really get out of hand.
Go to Top of Page

KoopsDad

73 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  09:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that there is some validity to the power ranking and I too wish somehow playing other classifications could be factored in. We have / will play in mostly 12U tourneys in USSSA this year but those games will not factor in at all. The others (coaches and points) seem to be a joke. Bandits at # 4 in the current 11 Major coaches poll proves it cannot be taken seriously and the points ranking can be improved simply by participating. I had a team 2 yrs ago ranked #1 in the power ranking for a large part of the year and there is no way it was justified. We never even won a tourney. Only until everyone is playing the same/similar competition can rankings truly be taken seriously. That is the beauty of Triple Crown. Most of the stronger teams come together in those tourneys and soon it is clear who the stronger teams are. Wish they had a ranking system.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  14:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not get back to the who's who in the rankings. Just play the games and be happy. If you are playing up and beating teams in a higher age group why do you care where you are ranked in your age group.

If you think you are better than a team "ranked" higher than you then contact them and play a DH or home and home series.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  16:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billbclk, I agree with you. I also found the rankings useful though when preparing for a tournament, but only for a quick glance. Actually, the power rating was the first thing I would consider. If I really wanted to try and figure out the strength of a team I would look at all of the teams they had beaten and lost to on USSSA and try to form an opinion as to their strength that way. I would also try to give consideration to whether or not a loss for them was in pool or bracket play. Don't know if it worked but I did it anyway.

Edited by - TAZ980002 on 01/22/2010 19:58:50
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  17:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
want a ranking..go to elite 32 and win it..then your #1
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  07:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bandit13

billbclk, I agree with you. I also found the rankings useful though when preparing for a tournament, but only for a quick glance. Actually, the power rating was the first thing I would consider. If I really wanted to try and figure out the strength of a team I would look at all of the teams they had beaten and lost to on USSSA and try to form an opinion as to their strength that way. I would also try to give consideration to whether or not a loss for them was in pool or bracket play. Don't know if it worked but I did it anyway.

I think that is the unique thing about USSSA. And you have to admit that we use these rankings in determining how to prepare even in Triple Crown, Grand Slam, etc. Without these rankings and results a coach has no idea what he maybe getting into in a tournament. A new younger team may not want to play the best in his class right out of the gate. This could also have a negative or positive impact when some tournaments list the teams who are coming. Some teams jump in to play the best and others will decide not to play.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  20:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coaches poll should be eliminated since its not being used and is overly subjective.

The point ratings are useless and mean nothing other than getting your team better pool draws.

However, I do like the power ratings even though they are not perfect, they are pretty darn good. I don't like how they disregard head-to-head, and games vs different classes and/or age groups. Folks who hate them, may not be playing enough usssa games for their ratings system to become accurate. The more data, the more accurate.

I also like having different classifications. I think having a viable A,AA,AAA, and Major will be unachievable however. 3 classes would be better from a standpoint of tourneys making.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000