General Discussion
 Reputable Development Programs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Southwoods

9 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  11:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will start with this caveat: Provided that the kid has great respect, attitude, and hustle, along with great talent...

What are the most reputable programs/teams in eastern Cobb, Cherokee, and N Fulton for 14u and up that have a heavy focus on player development and preparation for high school ball and ultimately exposure to and interaction with college scouts? Looking for well-respected coaching staffs (paid or not) that are strict, ethical leaders and have a great track record for developing kids.

Would love to hear mostly from parents/family/players that have been through the various age groups and lived it. Not necessarily looking for programs that turn out consistent championship teams but that consistently turn out champion players that get sought out by recruiters when the time comes.

Thanks in advance from a well-intentioned parent who's trying to make the right decisions

1gamer1

25 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  16:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  16:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admirable and ambitious goals. You have to start somewhere but good luck. We have experienced several "academies" and all purport to really and truly care about the "young men," to have the experience and credentials to "get them to the next level" yet every academy has had coach turnover, team drama, academy drama (teams and families splitting off). Bottom line, travel baseball is a business so you have to do the best you can from year-to year in terms of finding the best situation for your son.
Go to Top of Page

GeorgiaBaseball

21 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't say enough good things about Nelson Baseball School. Brian Nelson is an excellent coach and outstanding person. He works hard to get his older high school players recruited to play in college and beyond. He will insist you respect the game and give 100%.

The NBS teams are coached by enthusiastic guys with college and professional experience.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  08:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard a LOT over the years. There are two programs that come to mind:

1. 643 has great relationships with colleges, and do focus on training. The only issue I have heard people having with them are that the same coaches don't grow with the teams...the 14u coach for the Cougars is highly unlikely to be the 15u coach next year for the Cougars. That could be a good or a bad thing in my opinion.

2. Auterson Baseball....everyone just went HUH? You may know them better as the Georgia Jackets and Dunn Right Dawgs. They are connected with One Thing For Youth, they "exist to encourage kids in their walk with God while building skills for life. Through the vehicle of baseball, our aim is to instill Gods word into youth in hopes of growing them into Godly men! "....obviously some people are NOT going to be okay with that concept due to personal beliefs. However, they have a good record of relationships with colleges.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  08:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, and what I've seen, the better (competitive) teams are amassed with some of the better players (they come to the team with a SOLID skill set already in place, having learned from one-on-one lessons), and are simply 'refined' (at best) by "academy coaches". If you expect an average ball player to be taught and brought up to potential 'next level' ability by an academy coach (where there is 1 or 2 coaches for 12-16 players), you're in for some bad news.

Instead of focusing on the team, get your son's skill set honed and well above average, where we could make the better teams, that will, by default, expose him to better competition and potentially scouts.

There have been teams of late (past few years) that tout that, "17 of our 19 players signed D1/D2/D3 scholarships"... How much TRAINING or DEVELOPING did the coach do? Probably not much. Coach maybe refined at best. BUT what coach did do, was put in the best tourneys, facing the best comp, and had plenty of 'next level' contacts and worked for his players to get them looked at/considered.

Moral of the story: Don't put the entire onus of "getting to the next level" on coach.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  09:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson Baseball School.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  11:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard good things about Nelson as well.

It's been a few years for us, but 643 was VERY much focused on development with their older kids. What CaCO3Girl said is true, but they usually have the upper age kids practice together. I think it was 15 - 18 would practice together. Practices were very good, lots of reps, lots of instruction. They also do a good job of interviewing coaches and make sure they all buy into the 643 philosophy. Good organization.
Go to Top of Page

mar1dxt

30 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  12:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Nelson Baseball, 643, and Auterson Baseball (Ga Jackets) develop as well as any programs. All of these programs recruit and attract skilled players. However, in my opinion the majority of individual skill development happens outside of the travel ball season. Our experience is because the 15U and above travel season is compressed (Memorial Day to the end of July) and the Perfect Game Tournaments last generally 5 days or more the majority of the time is spent in games and not in practice
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  14:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mar1dxt

I think Nelson Baseball, 643, and Auterson Baseball (Ga Jackets) develop as well as any programs. All of these programs recruit and attract skilled players. However, in my opinion the majority of individual skill development happens outside of the travel ball season. Our experience is because the 15U and above travel season is compressed (Memorial Day to the end of July) and the Perfect Game Tournaments last generally 5 days or more the majority of the time is spent in games and not in practice

Isn't that why Fall ball was invented?
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  16:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by mar1dxt

Isn't that why Fall ball was invented?

I think it was invented to get more of my money. lol...
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  15:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Nelson works tirelessly to get ALL his players recruited. His organization is top notch. I believe he has 10 players on the Etowah varsity bball team..final 4 bound. Just imho! 643 ditto in the older age groups.
Go to Top of Page

Southwoods

9 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  21:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000