Page: of 2

kunta

2 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  09:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the hottest senior league bats drop -10

LeftyBat

160 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  11:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
watch out for composites.... NCCA is quite possibly about to rule them unfit for play. Hearing is already scheduled. Saw the details on another forum and checked on it myself. This is because although they pass the tests when new, they actually fail it with regularity when used. If they do this, word on the street is that this ban will filter through high school and youth baseball.

Now of course, there is a lot of wining and dining of rules committee members by bat manufacturers, and if they fail and the ban is adopted, then it will take some time to filter down to youth baseball so maybe it does not matter.

Just puttin it out there that if you buy a composite bat for your son, there is a significant chance that by next spring, he might not be able to play with it, certainly more so by fall 2010 or spring 2011... (most likely buy new bats every year anyway...)

Go to Top of Page

BROOKSTEAM

145 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  17:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, regardless of what the NCAA decides about composite bats there will not be a coralating effect on senior league bats that are sold to youth players. In fact the NFHS has said that it will not outlaw composite bats so there will still be -3 composite bats for high school players. Of course each governing body can make it's own bat rules, but if someone like AAU or USSSA outlawed composite bats they would probably lose too many teams to be able to have tournaments.

To answer the question about the hottest bats, it really depends on the hitter. We sell dozens of bats per week at the store and we look at each hitters swing before recommending a bat. A good rule of thumb is if they are power hitters go with composite, and if not the metal heads do better. The best bats are really Easton (I think they make the best -10's), Demarini, Combat, Miken (composites for the contact hitter), Louisville. I would caution anyone about some of the smaller brands and also tell someone to be careful with Worth & Rawlings because of durability.

At Elite Sports East Cobb we discount bats to anyone who mentions the NWGA website. Please call if you have any questions 678-903-0024

quote:
Originally posted by ECBLefty

watch out for composites.... NCCA is quite possibly about to rule them unfit for play. Hearing is already scheduled. Saw the details on another forum and checked on it myself. This is because although they pass the tests when new, they actually fail it with regularity when used. If they do this, word on the street is that this ban will filter through high school and youth baseball.

Now of course, there is a lot of wining and dining of rules committee members by bat manufacturers, and if they fail and the ban is adopted, then it will take some time to filter down to youth baseball so maybe it does not matter.

Just puttin it out there that if you buy a composite bat for your son, there is a significant chance that by next spring, he might not be able to play with it, certainly more so by fall 2010 or spring 2011... (most likely buy new bats every year anyway...)

Go to Top of Page

baseballboy10

17 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  21:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get the alloy 5150
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  16:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is all a matter of opinion. It is certain that the composite bats are hotter once broken-in that is the reason for banning them. Same thing happened with titanium softball bats years ago. I think it is still questionable whether hybrid bats provide more pop and tests with bats stiffness seem to favor stiff bats that I've seen. One thing for sure is that Composite bats do crack and break and even some thin-walled -10 hybrid and aluminum bats do as well, but they do seem to provide more pop. If you watched any of the LLWS it seemed to me for the games I watched that the Combat B2 small barrel and Combat B1 big barrel seemed to be the most popular and they seem to get all the talk locally I've heard. Demarini became famous for the bat that bends hybrid, but most recently the hype was for their hot full composite CF3 bat and now they have the CF4. Louisville Slugger pushes the stiff bats and their high-end Triton is probably the most popular youth/senior bat replacing their catalyst. Easton makes more different bats than anyone. Easton covers the entire line from flexible to stiff, end-loaded to balanced, two-piece, one-piece, etc.
My son liked the 2008 catalyst SL81 he had. The team hit several home runs with it before it broke. The only bats similar now are the Triton , the new Dynasty, an Omaha sold at justbats.com 2-3/4 with -10 drop, and hq4sports.com is still having catalyst special made for them in 2-3/4 -10 drop. My first choice now would be to get a B2 DaBomb 2-5/8 -10 if I had the money. I also like the Easton Synergy Speed bat which comes in a 2-5/8 -10 drop.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  16:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 5150 alloy is trash. There is a major difference between the plasma gold and the 5150. The 5150 is like swinging a log.
Go to Top of Page

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  10:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 12yr old prefers Demarini Bats and my 8yr old loves his Worth Prodigy.
Go to Top of Page

OffSpeed

40 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  11:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CRACKEDBATS...

I agree with you. My son loved the Plasma Gold and received a 5150 Alloy as a replacement and he really does not like it at all. The 5150 Alloy has been shelved is now his Batting Cage Trash bat.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  13:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Offspeed
my son hits a -5. Thankfully I was able to scrounge a used Plasma Gold in good shape for next year. I dont want him using it for batting cage so I bought him a 2009 Rawlings Gold Rush Lite which has basically the same barrel (liquidmetal). He hits a 31/26. And it hits similarly. The difference is that it is a 2 piece versus the Plasma Gold is a one piece. It still will eventually dent, but at least I can prolong his game bat.

I would suggest looking on EBAY if you want the 2009 Gold Rush Lite. I cant find any Plasma Golds in my sons size but I have found a 28/20 plasma gold still being offered at various bat retailers as late as yesterday.

Edited by - crackedbats on 09/01/2009 14:20:16
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crackedbats - if your son hits hard (even if he doesn't) - I'd highly suggest selling that Plasma and putting the $$ toward another animal. Won't get long winded as so many of us already have but those bats are absolutely worthless - we have cracked and flattened "3-4" as well as all other teammates doing the same. Great pop for about a week then dent, ding, boom!!!! Before long, they resemble a tennis racket - hey, there's a thought

Just got the Demarini Vendetta and it hits VERY well.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
didnt pay much for the Plasma. And I am sure it will dent as will the Gold Rush Lite. How is the balancing on the Vendetta? My son is 5'6" so he doesnt need an end load. He swung the Demarini Voodoo -3 the other night. And it felt like a -5.
Just may have to check that out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  21:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those plasma liquidmetal are about the hottest used bat i have seen..people pay more for used onces than the new ones cost. I love them..i just got the new demarini vexxum a 5150

Having said that i always remember a guy hitting a walk off home run and looking into the other dugout and saying "it aint the bat its the man" how true it is
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  16:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long do you think a Worth Lithium Prodigy -10 drop will last at 11U?
I know they have a bad rap as far as denting and cracking but I got it dirt cheap off ebay with warranty. I figured I could experiment for the price I got it.
Go to Top of Page

lottapop

257 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  18:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That prodigy should be fine until he outgrows it....just don't use it in the batting cage. :)
Go to Top of Page

mfraley

22 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  19:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son used a 31/21 worth for 10 tournaments, he hit five homeruns with it, not counting the 20 plus he hit in practice and the work in the batting cages(at first I tried to protect it, but he wanted it in his hand everytime he swung a bat), and it never dented or cracked. Our last tournament of the season we went to the big combat and he hit three homeruns with 12 at bats in one tournament. Both bats are great. If your kid is a big kid with alot of bat speed, I would go with the combat. If your kid is smaller with less bat speed, I would go with the worth. Good luck. By the way he was playing 10u and he is a fairly big kid. He was 4'11' and a 107lbs when he was swinging the worth. Now he is 5'1" and a 114lbs and the combat is just explosive.

Edited by - mfraley on 09/02/2009 22:21:00
Go to Top of Page

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Prodigy at 11u would be good for one round of BP or one game.... at best.
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  06:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my son cracked his Worth Prodigy Lithium in 2 weeks. Terrible bat. I spoke to customer service at Rawlings yesterday. They are bringing back the Plasma Gold in the -8 and -13 with a new and improved liquid gold formula. The only question I have is new and improved = not as hot? I believe EC Coaches have the equipment catalogs so they can place orders.

Edited by - crackedbats on 09/03/2009 08:51:53
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son swung the -10 Lithium last year at 12U and it lasted most of the season with only 1 dent. He did well with the bat. Before C-Town, I got him the -9.5 5150, he hit 4 HR's with a G.S. and loves that bat. When I returned the Lithium to Worth, I asked for a -3 instead of the -10 and they complied. Now he can transition with the -3 bat in fall ball as prepare for H.S. and not need to go to -5 next spring in travel. Just my .02
Go to Top of Page

mfraley

22 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bball2008, I hear you, I am just sharing with you what my son experience was with the worth and he probably had more power at ten then most kids will have at eleven. He used that bat in ten tournaments and that bat does not have one dent on it. Now maybe it has some to do with the size of the bat, I do not know, but their are very few kids that have the bat speed and power this kid has and he made it through forty games with that worth. I wanted to get away from the ten drop and get him down to eight at 11, that is the only reason we set down the worth.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mfraley

bball2008, I hear you, I am just sharing with you what my son experience was with the worth and he probably had more power at ten then most kids will have at eleven. He used that bat in ten tournaments and that bat does not have one dent on it. Now maybe it has some to do with the size of the bat, I do not know, but their are very few kids that have the bat speed and power this kid has and he made it through forty games with that worth. I wanted to get away from the ten drop and get him down to eight at 11, that is the only reason we set down the worth.

mfraley, I am surprised that the Worth lasted that long for your son. I know how hard he hits the ball. We had 2 or 3 kids on our team last year with the Worth bats and EVERY one of them ended up with dents. One of these kids had ridiculous power like your kid but the other 2 did not.
Go to Top of Page

mfraley

22 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jc1964 it may have something to do with the size, his bat was a 31/21. What were the size of those other bats. By the way, I got great deals on those bats. We bought 3 bats last year from Elite Sports on Roswell Rd and got better deals there than other places.

Edited by - mfraley on 09/03/2009 13:06:47
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  13:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly sure. Maybe 29" or 30" ?? They have a lot of pop for sure. I can't get the small barrel Combat B2 DaBomb out of my son's hands.
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the Worth 31/21 Lithium Prodigy as well for only $50+$8 ship =$58 total off ebay. It is nice to know they let you upgrade to -3 drop and I think they make a -8 drop as well. My son already has a Louisville Omaha composite SL84 30/22 -8 drop and I just wanted to have lighter bat to use as well. He really liked the Catalyst big barrel 30/20 and the Combat B2 big barrel in -8 or -10 drop seems like the best replacement, but I'm just trying to save money right now. If the Worth dents that easy I'll get it replaced and sell it or upgrade to different drop. We broke four composites on our team last season. Both my sons Catalyst small barrel & big barrel that he used since 9U, a Demarini CF3 small barrel in just one season, and a used Easton small barrel that I borrowed just for one tournament. Most of our home runs were hit we the Catalyst and the CF3 small barrels since that is what we use in GGBL at 10U. We didn't have any Combats.
Go to Top of Page

mfraley

22 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  02:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I have a black worth 31/21 with maybe a total of ten swings on it and a 31/22 blue imx easton with two tournaments on it. Make me a offer and you can have.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  11:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mFraley,
One thing i didn't like about the worth was that if you didn't hit it completely solid the ball had nothing on it. How does the combat compare when your son doesn't put the best swing on the ball but still makes contact. Does it still come off the bat pretty hot.
PS. Does your Stars team have a new website?
Go to Top of Page

mfraley

22 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  15:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shutout, I think it is the best bat for kids with alot of bat speed. You can miss it and it still performs well.

we are working on that site now, it should be up soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000