New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  12:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, this is the time of year we start looking for a fall sport. Son is considering trying lacrosse, the fasted sport on two feet, lol!

I have heard golf and tennis are not good fall sports because it can mess with their swing...anyone out there have experience with lacrosse? It looks to me like it would not mess with their swing, but I guess I never would have thought tennis did...

Thanks!

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M'am I think most of the big dogs play football in the fall and the rest just play baseball in the fall too.

I don't think they are many lacrosse or tennis players.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  14:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know of a few Major level kids that played lacrosse in the fall. To be blunt, kids are growing, they themselves are messing up their swings with their growth...I wouldn't worry about a sport doing it to them, they should bounce back pretty quick after a few sessions in the cage.

And by the way, one of the best pitching drills involves a tennis racket (or rag) and to pretend to serve, it gets the kids to follow through on the pitch...so maybe tennis isn't SOOOOO bad.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  15:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LaCross is is spring sport here in Georgia. Don't think it is an option to play in HS in addition to baseball. Maybe rec leagues it is played in the fall, but in HS, it is played opposite baseball in the spring.

I guess for getting in shape, it's ok. If you don't mind getting laughed at by the baseball guys for being a "lax bro". Haha.

And CaCO3Girl, you are talking about the towel drill. I really don't think you are supposed to emulate a tennis serve with it, but you are supposed to use your pitching mechanics and focus on a couple specific mechanics. It wouldn't do much good if you were trying to do a tennis serve with it... I've never seen anyone use a tennis racket with it.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  07:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

LaCross is is spring sport here in Georgia. Don't think it is an option to play in HS in addition to baseball. Maybe rec leagues it is played in the fall, but in HS, it is played opposite baseball in the spring.

I guess for getting in shape, it's ok. If you don't mind getting laughed at by the baseball guys for being a "lax bro". Haha.

And CaCO3Girl, you are talking about the towel drill. I really don't think you are supposed to emulate a tennis serve with it, but you are supposed to use your pitching mechanics and focus on a couple specific mechanics. It wouldn't do much good if you were trying to do a tennis serve with it... I've never seen anyone use a tennis racket with it.

It surprised me too bballman, and yet the coach told the players to bring both over winter training, a rag and a tennis racket....something about the follow through of the pitching motion and getting the arm to move in the correct arc? *shrug*
Go to Top of Page

wv2ga

28 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  07:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has played lacrosse two Falls now and mostly like will again. Great sport for hand/eye coordination and to stay is top shape. Also gives them the contact they like.

The Fall lacrosse season is laid back and focused on teaching the game, so the baseball kids get to compete in a great sport with little pressure on them.

As a parent, love that he plays and it's a great fall sport for baseball players.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

I know of a few Major level kids that played lacrosse in the fall. To be blunt, kids are growing, they themselves are messing up their swings with their growth...I wouldn't worry about a sport doing it to them, they should bounce back pretty quick after a few sessions in the cage.

And by the way, one of the best pitching drills involves a tennis racket (or rag) and to pretend to serve, it gets the kids to follow through on the pitch...so maybe tennis isn't SOOOOO bad.

Define "major" level? Just because one is on a team rated as "major" by USSSA does not necessarily mean they are a player with major skills.

No top rate travel player that I know of (and I know some that were 1st round MLB draft picks) has ever played Lacrosse, when it's not baseball they are either on the football field or basketball court.

This seems like a promotion to try to get people to sign up their son for Lacrosse which is fine, but trust the real big dawgs are on the football field in the fall not playing Lacrosse.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/06/2016 11:02:05
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj94

quote:

Define "major" level? Just because one is on a team rated as "major" by USSSA does not necessarily mean they are a player with major skills.

No top rate travel player that I know of (and I know some that were 1st round MLB draft picks) has ever played Lacrosse, when it's not baseball they are either on the football field or basketball court.

This seems like a promotion to try to get people to sign up their son for Lacrosse which is fine, but trust the real big dawgs are on the football field in the fall not playing Lacrosse.

I define Major as kids who play on teams that compete with teams such as the ECB Astros, 643 Cougars, Georgia Jackets...etc, and don't get run ruled but actually compete.

In fall there is the football option, but there have been numerous articles lately about football injuries and how many parents are saying no to Football for their kids.
http://nypost.com/2016/02/23/this-doctor-refuses-to-let-her-son-play-football/

http://beingamom.life/lebron-james-wont-let-his-sons-play-football/

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Archive/2016/01/ConcussionsYouth-CM-011116

Basketball is more of a winter sport, so in the Fall the choices I have seen lately are Lacrosse, Football, Fall soccer, or Fall baseball (rec) if your kid wants to be on a team in the Fall.
Go to Top of Page

wv2ga

28 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  12:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it is worth, my son's team is rated as Majors by USSSA, PG, & TC and including himself, there are two on the roster who play fall lacrosse.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  13:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I define Major as kids who play on teams that compete with teams such as the ECB Astros, 643 Cougars, Georgia Jackets...etc, and don't get run ruled but actually compete.

In fall there is the football option, but there have been numerous articles lately about football injuries and how many parents are saying no to Football for their kids.
http://nypost.com/2016/02/23/this-doctor-refuses-to-let-her-son-play-football/

http://beingamom.life/lebron-james-wont-let-his-sons-play-football/

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Archive/2016/01/ConcussionsYouth-CM-011116

Basketball is more of a winter sport, so in the Fall the choices I have seen lately are Lacrosse, Football, Fall soccer, or Fall baseball (rec) if your kid wants to be on a team in the Fall.

Okay I can agree with that..and yes football is not for everyone but someone commented about Lacrosse having "contact", I wasn't aware it was a contact sport just looks like something for those who don't want to deal with the actual full contact of football.

And there are some year round basketball programs but yes basketball is generally played in winter league.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/06/2016 14:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  13:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for you replies...

We have had two different hitting instructors who played professional baseball, and instructed players who are currently playing in the MLB, tell son to play other sports in the fall.

Funny thing...both encouraged son NOT to play football. The both said soccer and basketball were great sports to work on agility and speed. These instructors who have also been head coaches of good EC teams, agreed that their best defenders were kids that played soccer. Son did it and did well, wants to try something else. I don't want him playing a full baseball schedule in the fall..,neither I nor his instructor are fans of year round baseball. Arm needs a rest, and he needs to work other muscles and stamina

The implication is that the best players play football? LOL This must be a geographical mindset...

Nope, not endorsing a sport we have never played.

PS Football head coach tried mighty hard to recruit son...so, we are not playing because....we don't want too.

Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  14:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravemom

We have had two different hitting instructors who played professional baseball, and instructed players who are currently playing in the MLB, tell son to play other sports in the fall.

Funny thing...both encouraged son NOT to play football. The both said soccer and basketball were great sports to work on agility and speed. These instructors who have also been head coaches of good EC teams, agreed that their best defenders were kids that played soccer. Son did it and did well, wants to try something else. I don't want him playing a full baseball schedule in the fall..,neither I nor his instructor are fans of year round baseball. Arm needs a rest, and he needs to work other muscles and stamina

The implication is that the best players play football? LOL This must be a geographical mindset...

Nope, not endorsing a sport we have never played.

PS Football head coach tried mighty hard to recruit son...so, we are not playing because....we don't want too.

Glad that worked out for YOU....head coach finally *metaphorically* beat my son down enough that he did go out for football.

My son said baseball players are obviously the better athletes though because the football is like 10 times the size of the baseball and most people still miss it if they have to try to catch it while running!
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  14:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double post

Edited by - Bravemom on 07/06/2016 15:14:02
Go to Top of Page

bballguy

224 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  14:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful. Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the south and many athletic kids are leaving baseball to play competitively.
Go to Top of Page

baseball713

60 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  15:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son tried lacrosse last fall and hated it because he got a bad/inexperienced coach. I didn't realize until the middle of the season that lacrosse's season is in the spring (like baseball) and the kids who plays in the fall are more relaxed/less skilled (like fall baseball). The head of the program told me that he has a hard time finding good coaches in the fall bec it's off season. My son's coach has all 20 kids in ONE line passing the balls back and forth for the first 40 min of the EVERY practice (sometimes, he's on this cellphone for most of that 40 min). It drove all of us baseball dads (some who are type A travel baseball coach) mad. After the first few practices, some of us dads offered to take half of the kids to form a second line for the drills. The coach refused saying he needs to see all the kids in the drill.

The sad thing is that I think my son would have loved lacrosse if he got a decent coach. Now, he's totally written off lacrosse.
Go to Top of Page

mzag920

3 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  15:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballguy

Be careful. Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the south and many athletic kids are leaving baseball to play competitively.

This is 100% accurate - I have (2) high school sons, one in lacrosse, one in baseball. This past spring, there were more kids who went out for lax than baseball at our HS. Many of my baseball son's friends have initially tried lacrosse as a 2nd sport during fall seasons, and most have stayed with it and given up baseball.

The only thing to worry about when it comes to taking the fall off from baseball to try lacrosse, is your son may decide lacrosse is more fun, and may not go back. I can't say I disagree. The lax games are much more fun to watch, and this is coming from someone who played baseball into college.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  19:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we experienced a sudden love of basketball. It was so fast paced and it came so easy to him, he was rethinking baseball...until he got back on the field and the love came back. Honestly, I don't care what he plays as long as he is involved in an activity.

Unfortunately, lax equipment is expensive...why couldn't he have fallen in love with soccer?!
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Correct, the best athletes play football and basketball, and football is king everywhere not just in this "region".

Lacrosse is a niche sport, no major athletes sign up to play that nor is it even offered at most parks because there is no interest.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/07/2016 09:15:14
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  09:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Correct, the best athletes play football and basketball, and football is king everywhere not just in this "region".

Lacrosse is a niche sport, no major athletes sign up to play that nor is it even offered at most parks because there is no interest.

WOW, tell us how you feel AJ94!

A quick google search says at a D1 school there are 12.6 lacrosse scholarships offered for the men, as opposed to the 11.7 for baseball...BUT...football has 85!

So, I'm going with Football is king BUT lacrosse isn't too shabby!
Go to Top of Page

wv2ga

28 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  10:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lacrosse was mainly a Northeastern to Mid-Atlantic sport but is growing in the South. Lax will poach a few boys each season from baseball given the up-tempo nature of the sport.

With KSU and the Swarm, the sport is getting more exposure in Atlanta plus KSU hosts a Spring tournament with the top NCAAA teams.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  12:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

WOW, tell us how you feel AJ94!

A quick google search says at a D1 school there are 12.6 lacrosse scholarships offered for the men, as opposed to the 11.7 for baseball...BUT...football has 85!

So, I'm going with Football is king BUT lacrosse isn't too shabby!

LOL. CaCO3 I am not knocking lacrosse but these implications being implied by some posters like my son is a stud and he chooses to play lacrosse over football in the fall and boys like lacrosse because of the "contact", I am just not buying it.

I see all the big, strong, or fast boys on the football field in the fall.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/07/2016 12:28:59
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  12:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

We will have to agree to disagree. Just because MORE kids pick a sport because you have a better opportunity for a full ride scholarship, peer pressure, or regional expectations, does not mean the best athletes play football.

This sounds like based on YOUR experience the best athletes YOU know play football. It sounds like a subjective and general argument. Do you have anything besides your personal opinion to back this absolute claim that the best athletes play football?

In regards to lax not being offered in local parks, again I think it depends on where you live. Son has many lax opportunities with a local park, feeder team, and a sports organization all within 10 miles of where I live.

When I attended an Atlanta Blaze game (our MLL team) the stadium had tons of kids and lax youth teams that were playing nearby at a tournament.

So, this sport is definitely growing.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  14:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

We will have to agree to disagree. Just because MORE kids pick a sport because you have a better opportunity for a full ride scholarship, peer pressure, or regional expectations, does not mean the best athletes play football.

This sounds like based on YOUR experience the best athletes YOU know play football. It sounds like a subjective and general argument. Do you have anything besides your personal opinion to back this absolute claim that the best athletes play football?

In regards to lax not being offered in local parks, again I think it depends on where you live. Son has many lax opportunities with a local park, feeder team, and a sports organization all within 10 miles of where I live.

When I attended an Atlanta Blaze game (our MLL team) the stadium had tons of kids and lax youth teams that were playing nearby at a tournament.

So, this sport is definitely growing.

Not my claims, common knowledge and fact. Football players are faster, bigger, and stronger; a simple eye test proves that.

And the Atlanta who? Never heard of them, but did the stadium have 70,000 or so in attendance like a Falcons game? Or 90,000 like a GA Bulldogs game?

I did not say lacrosse is not a growing sport or that it's not a good option for those that are not capable or wanting to play football, what I said was big time athletes/big dawgs do not play lacrosse.

Edited by - aj94 on 07/07/2016 16:07:01
Go to Top of Page

redsox23

98 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  15:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Jim Brown count as a "stud"? He was a Lacrosse All American at Syracuse and bought an MLL franchise in New York. He is quoted as saying it was his "favorite" sport.

Edited by - redsox23 on 07/07/2016 16:07:01
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  17:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking some baseball players may be good at lacrosse. It looks like organized beat the heck out of each other with a stick to me? Can I bring a bat and just take out some frustration from that last strikeout?
Go to Top of Page

brball

615 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  19:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

I'm thinking some baseball players may be good at lacrosse. It looks like organized beat the heck out of each other with a stick to me? Can I bring a bat and just take out some frustration from that last strikeout?

LMAO... Good one!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000