New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kory

50 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  16:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I literally can't take it any more. So many parents talking about "development". Like letting a kid try another sport will hurt their chances at going pro or earning a scholarship. Gimme a break. Let the kid play what they want to play. If a kid wants to grow his hair out, wear funny looking shorts, and whack another kid with a stick, let him/her. The only sport that you should absolutely not force a kid to play is football. They will get hurt if they don't want to be there. But, if a kid wants to play soccer, try archery, whatever, let them. They are kids, let their interests lead them. I see so many parents (many of whom never even played sports) forcing their kids to fit into some impossible mold of what they think an athlete should be.

As long as your child is active, be happy. As long as they are involved in activities outside of school and home, be happy. A stud will be a stud no matter what. There is not much you can do about it. Playing tennis will mess up a swing? Gimme a break.
Go to Top of Page

27Baseball

4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kory, could not agree more. Let kids play, let them learn to have fun.

As for lacrosse, athletic catchers make great goalies. They get a great opportunity to work on hand-eye coordination and learning to move and block balls. More than they would get playing other sports

The long lacrosse throw is very similar to an outfield crow hop, with less stress on the arm.

And the running is insane.

Finally, they learn to compete under a lot of athletic pressure. Football is just not for everyone, including some top end athletes.
Go to Top of Page

Bravemom

204 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  16:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kory

I literally can't take it any more. So many parents talking about "development". Like letting a kid try another sport will hurt their chances at going pro or earning a scholarship. Gimme a break. Let the kid play what they want to play. If a kid wants to grow his hair out, wear funny looking shorts, and whack another kid with a stick, let him/her. The only sport that you should absolutely not force a kid to play is football. They will get hurt if they don't want to be there. But, if a kid wants to play soccer, try archery, whatever, let them. They are kids, let their interests lead them. I see so many parents (many of whom never even played sports) forcing their kids to fit into some impossible mold of what they think an athlete should be.

As long as your child is active, be happy. As long as they are involved in activities outside of school and home, be happy. A stud will be a stud no matter what. There is not much you can do about it. Playing tennis will mess up a swing? Gimme a break.

Wow! Can't believe my simple lacrosse question thread has exploded. This is a great post that I totally agree with.

I am glad that my son loves and has worked hard on his swing, and asked his hitting instructor for guidance about sports to avoid that would hurt his swing. HE does not want to play sports that can mess his swing. He could care less about tennis or golf, but was on the list of options to play in the fall. HIS instructor told us about tennis and golf based on his 20 plus years coaching experience. Lacrosse got a thumbs up. Everybody is happy.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

I'm thinking some baseball players may be good at lacrosse. It looks like organized beat the heck out of each other with a stick to me? Can I bring a bat and just take out some frustration from that last strikeout?

LMAO
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  18:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redsox23

Does Jim Brown count as a "stud"? He was a Lacrosse All American at Syracuse and bought an MLL franchise in New York. He is quoted as saying it was his "favorite" sport.

Obviously he made the right choice to play football...and I didn't say there are never any studs that played lacrosse in history, I said the best studs play football in the fall and not lacrosse.

This talk about how hard and tough it is to play lacrosse, no that's how it is to play football.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  14:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still maintain that natural growth messes up a kids swing, therefore, let them play what they want to play.
Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  22:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son plays lacrosse in the Fall. He is a good athlete, and could play football if I let him, but I won't at this point (plays flag). I have him playing lacrosse in the event he decides to stop playing baseball at some point, and he enjoys it. Lacrosse is a spring sport like baseball, so you don't have a lot of baseball players playing in the fall, unless they've made the switch (several up here have). Football players that don't play baseball often play lacrosse in the spring. Lacrosse also helps get my son get ready for basketball since a lot of the concepts are the same. Try it. If you are concerned about equipment cost, go to a Play it Again. Coaches can usually rustle up extra equipment as well.
Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  23:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, it didn't mess up his swing.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/varsityodds.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: