New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  08:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^^^ yes, politics is alive and well in baseball ... but at some point your kid's ability also needs to match up to your pre-sale. Everything rippit says is true. Go with your gut and unless you are ready to get the college application in, take a chance. And the parent shouldn't be the arse kissing butt wipe either...just make friends over time..it's good not to make enemies, that can come back to haunt you. Baseball is a small world. I've seen many a great player be totally black balled due to a pain in the butt parent, and word travels fast. If the kid is a great kid this will often be overlooked but why make it tougher for him? And the team that doesn't reply to your repeated requests to be seen..hounding those coaches won't do a thing. Bring it on the field, preferably on a team that competes AGAINST that team, and beats them, the next season. That goes a long way towards being noticed.
Go to Top of Page

dad4kids

109 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  10:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rippit, do you think the legit coaches who know what they're doing really want to speak to parents about their kids prior to a tryout? I always wanted to let my kids performance at the tryout speak for him and assumed calls from a parent trying to pimp their son would viewed as a negative because that means the coach has to listen to it all year (e.g., "that dad" always bitching about playing time, where they hit in the lineup, etc.). Does any coach ever think a parent has an objective view of their kid?
Go to Top of Page

Mungo Fungo

9 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  10:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have stats available to offer from the previous season, that seems much easier to offer than a "pimp job".
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  11:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't "pimp" your kid. But if your son is serious about a particular team, I can't believe a coach who is looking for talent, has his heart in the right place, is coaching for the right reasons and like it or not that includes WINNING, would mind a short email/text/phone call just making them aware of Johnny before hand.

The NON LEGIT coach or owner of an academy will say they will call or give feedback post tryout and then not do it. I've see that up close and personal and realized that guy and those around him had zero respect for players and their parents they didn't deem worthy to be on a ball field. Those guys are out of business now thank goodness.

Every coach is different, but if it was me, I'd rather get a heads up prior to the cattle call than have to give 30 kids a "private tryout".

Parents: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY get some perspective on your son's true ability at each age level and plan accordingly. This is about their development, not your ego.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  11:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dad4kids

rippit, do you think the legit coaches who know what they're doing really want to speak to parents about their kids prior to a tryout? I always wanted to let my kids performance at the tryout speak for him and assumed calls from a parent trying to pimp their son would viewed as a negative because that means the coach has to listen to it all year (e.g., "that dad" always bitching about playing time, where they hit in the lineup, etc.). Does any coach ever think a parent has an objective view of their kid?

What's wrong with saying at the open ECB tryout for example, where there may be 100+ kids there, Hey 15u Astros Coach "I just wanted to let you know that my son really wants to play for your team, he will be in a pink hat today."

When there are a 100+ kids trying out for 8+ teams don't you think it might be helpful to give the coach a heads up? If a coach knew the kid wanted to play on his team he might take a closer look. Maybe he won't like what he sees but a closer look than he gave the other 100+ kids is all rippit is talking about.
Go to Top of Page

satchel

28 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  11:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rippit, unfortunately they don't go out of business. They merge with another program or start a new one. It's capitalism at it's best/worst. While many baseball "academies" might start with good intentions, the overwhelming chase for more $$ takes over. They end up adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, team that play under the academy name but are way below the talent level of the top team. Granted, I've never seen the financials of these academies, so maybe it is a necessary evil. Those bottom tier teams don't get near the same coaching/instruction as the top team gets....but the kids and parents get to say they play for "XYZ" baseball.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  12:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one didn't merge or change names, it went down in FLAMES and deserved to. Karma won.

But I do know what you speak of. Instead of growing teams from the bottom up, they get cocky aka greedy and just start adding teams for more money overworking their coaches and shortchanging the existing teams and players. Hey I'm all for capitalism, but make good on what you promise to offer. Put in a good days work and don't expect people to just hand you money for showing up. It's some sort of millennial entitlement epidemic that trickled down from their daddy always paving the way for them or handing them everything so they never learned how to work.

But don't get me started.

quote:
Originally posted by satchel

Rippit, unfortunately they don't go out of business. They merge with another program or start a new one. It's capitalism at it's best/worst. While many baseball "academies" might start with good intentions, the overwhelming chase for more $$ takes over. They end up adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, team that play under the academy name but are way below the talent level of the top team. Granted, I've never seen the financials of these academies, so maybe it is a necessary evil. Those bottom tier teams don't get near the same coaching/instruction as the top team gets....but the kids and parents get to say they play for "XYZ" baseball.

Go to Top of Page

Mungo Fungo

9 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  12:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, what he said. The lower end teams on XYZ Academy (was that supposed to rhyme with something?) are FOR SURE not getting the same development from coaching that the top teams are getting, so be aware of that as well. Somebody said it earlier, and it bears repeating: if your kid is the cream of the crop in his age division, they all already know who he is.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  13:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rippit is absolutely correct. Lobbying or Pimping your kid is just bad. These days, everyone is a salesman and want to substitute hard work with slick talk. We are in the entitlement and rumor age. No one deserves anything. Parents need to be realistic about their players abilities. They want their kid to play competitive sports , but do not want knocks that come along with it.

I like parents that work with their kids. They just seem to be better performers and the parents don't lobby for playing time. Coaching should not have a problem speaking to a parent about their kid. The research and investigation should come from both sides.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lower end? You mean the younger age groups or the B team at each age group?

If the younger groups are being sacrificed for the older ages I have a problem with that unless the cost is adjusted.

The other thing with Black, Silver, White etc. to indicate level really sux too if not handled correctly. Two things: if inferior players are being rewarded for being with a program longer then boo on that. If inferior players are being rewarded for spending extra dollars on private training with said place then boo on that too.

I realize these folks are running a business but sometimes I wonder how they sleep at night. And to those parents BRIBING their kid's way - yes it happens - then BOO ON YOU TOO. The cream will rise in the end. Beware of giving your kid false hope via your checkbook.

I understand these organizations need to produce winning teams at the top levels in order to continue attracting scout and college coach attention. They just need to stop being so dang greedy where their bread and butter is concerned.

Edited by - rippit on 06/28/2016 16:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, yes, xyz fields a gazillion teams and not all teams are created equal (if this is who people are talking about)...but most of the "lower level" teams are coached by parent volunteers and even many of the more competitve teams, and this goes for most organizations, small and large. The few true "academy" teams are usually professionally coached and you have a real cost difference and your kid probably won't make the team unless he's a stud any way. You can always ask for the budget ahead of time. You can easily verify online if the "pro" was really a pro...look up his career. Same goes for the team! Look up their previous years stats, where they played, how they did. It's all out there!! Game changer, perfect game. Talk to the parents! What did they like or not like!? Why are they staying. Look at who your starters were last year...did they all stay or did they all jump ship? Track down the ones who left and find out why!! Really talk to the coach... in other words do your homework!!! You can only be gipped or ripped off if you let it happen!
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  11:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally don't care if the coach was a pro or not if he is only doing it for a paycheck and doesn't know how to handle the age group he is with. Most of these "pros" were Indy ball or didn't make it past three years in rookie/A ball anyway. I want the guy who has experience COACHING whether at the travel, HS or college level. Some guys make GREAT coaches. Others just don't because of ego/attitude/work ethic/reputation/lifestyle. Heck many that get hired out of college or whatever are still little boys themselves. Hard to be a proper role model that way.
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone should "pimp" their kid, but I'm not above trying to get a private workout or telling a coach about my kids accomplishments. People are all different, I don't want to paint with a broad brush and say all parents oversell their kids. I personally don't embellish b/c the last thing I want is my kid thinking he is better than he is and embarrassed when he is one of the worst on the team.

We all talk about politics b/c they are real. There are parents constantly chirping in a coaches ear. It can be to A) Get in line and get your kid a real good look or B) Help stack the deck in favor of their kid unfairly. I've seen both and I'm sure there is a lot in between. Coaches, "paid" and "dad" also feed into it. I've been at academy tryouts and heard with my own ears, guys for said academy tell returning kids "Hey, I've seen you hit plenty of times, don't worry about it." Now does that sound like every kid (especially the outsiders) have the exact same shot?

I think these large tryouts can be a bad situation. It is one thing if your kid is a head taller than everyone else or has an arm that is in the 90th percentile as far as throwing. Those tools stand out easily and all coaches I've seen so far through 12 get excited about those. I have not seen the same excitement about a kid that runs well. That tools seems to be discounted at this point. Being able to hit for a high average, get on base a ton and rarely striking out are things that you really have to see over a larger sample size than can be provided in a 2-4 hour workout with 50+ kids. It has been my experience that multiple opportunities to see a kid and learn his body of work is a must. Like I have been told in the corporate world, you have to sell yourself, "nobody will toot your horn if you don't." When we are talking about kids that part is left up to the parents.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

I personally don't care if the coach was a pro or not if he is only doing it for a paycheck and doesn't know how to handle the age group he is with. Most of these "pros" were Indy ball or didn't make it past three years in rookie/A ball anyway. I want the guy who has experience COACHING whether at the travel, HS or college level. Some guys make GREAT coaches. Others just don't because of ego/attitude/work ethic/reputation/lifestyle. Heck many that get hired out of college or whatever are still little boys themselves. Hard to be a proper role model that way.

Correct. There are a lot of ex-players out there, still doesn't mean they are good coaches. The best coach I ever ran into played JUCO then became part of a college coaching staff after finishing his 4 yr degree at another school. Parents need to also understand that a paid coach is there to do a job and not discipline or correct mental issues with your kids. If you are having problems with your kid at home, brining them out on the field will only amplify those problems. No coach, paid or not would want to deal with that. I've seen many kids this year go off on coaches, teammates and parents.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/29/2016 13:55:55
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been told that coaches are looking at your swing more than the results and the reason they run the 60 is because speed does help. They are looking at attitude, arm strength, fundamental soundness etc.

Here's a tip for those still living off the bunt and small ball: when you fill out the online recruiting questionnaire for a college, there are plenty of questions about BA, extra base hits/home runs, arm strength(speed), 60 time etc. Not once did I see a question asking how many bunts you got down safely.

What ABC says is important. It does take more than one appearance for 90 minutes to make an impression and that goes both ways. Think about it.

Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  13:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree rippit that the "little boy" coaches don't make good role models. (Assuming we are talking about those that are in it for the right reasons and not just a paycheck AND that can translate their knowledge into actual instruction). Many of these guys make AWESOME role models. The boys relate to them in a totally different way than they do to an "adult" and have a whole different level of respect for them. And it is just a completely different dynamic when they are not that far removed from them age-wise. It is also a completely different dynamic when the coach has absolutely no skin in the game. Even the very best dad coaches (and we've had several) cannot be completely unaffected by their child being on the team, as a parent that is virtually impossible... In fact I think it's a reality check for boys who play for these young guys to hear first hand what it takes..the sacrifices they had to make to get there...what they had to give up, how hard it was to also have the grades..etc. To even make it "3 years or less in rookie/A ball" or even to make a college team for that matter, is an extraordinary accomplishment when you look at the number of high school players who have that as their goal, so just the dedication and discipline getting them there makes them role models in its own right.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  13:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ABC_Baseball

I don't think anyone should "pimp" their kid, but I'm not above trying to get a private workout or telling a coach about my kids accomplishments. People are all different, I don't want to paint with a broad brush and say all parents oversell their kids. I personally don't embellish b/c the last thing I want is my kid thinking he is better than he is and embarrassed when he is one of the worst on the team.

We all talk about politics b/c they are real. There are parents constantly chirping in a coaches ear. It can be to A) Get in line and get your kid a real good look or B) Help stack the deck in favor of their kid unfairly. I've seen both and I'm sure there is a lot in between. Coaches, "paid" and "dad" also feed into it. I've been at academy tryouts and heard with my own ears, guys for said academy tell returning kids "Hey, I've seen you hit plenty of times, don't worry about it." Now does that sound like every kid (especially the outsiders) have the exact same shot?

I think these large tryouts can be a bad situation. It is one thing if your kid is a head taller than everyone else or has an arm that is in the 90th percentile as far as throwing. Those tools stand out easily and all coaches I've seen so far through 12 get excited about those. I have not seen the same excitement about a kid that runs well. That tools seems to be discounted at this point. Being able to hit for a high average, get on base a ton and rarely striking out are things that you really have to see over a larger sample size than can be provided in a 2-4 hour workout with 50+ kids. It has been my experience that multiple opportunities to see a kid and learn his body of work is a must. Like I have been told in the corporate world, you have to sell yourself, "nobody will toot your horn if you don't." When we are talking about kids that part is left up to the parents.

The problem I have with parents doing this is when they get upset and kick up dust at the coach when their kid is benched because they can't perform, when they have tried to pay their kids way to play. I know people that have spent thousands in training for their kid and the kid is no better now than when they started training. Those are the parents that lobby for their kid when they know they can not perform. Just a bad reflection when a parent lobby's for their kid and they can't perform. Makes the parent look very bad for doing so, they can't play for their kids.
Too much talking, not enough doing.

Don't tell me. SHOW ME!
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  14:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

My son tried out for a very reputable academy type place last year, the guy that runs it is a really good guy, he had a new coach...the kid was still technically tied to his MiLB team but was out on an injury and was coaching. Less than 2 minutes in his presence made my skin crawl. Ego, CHECK! Attitude, CHECK! Work ethic poorly lacking, CHECK! Ability to converse with parents 20 years older than him and still sound condescending...BIG CHECK!

This had been my sons number one choice team, they practiced super close to our house and like I said the guy running the place had a great reputation....as soon as we got in the car (seat belts not even on yet) he said "Nope, don't want top play here." The guy was asked to leave in March...I'm guessing it wasn't really working out due to his HUGE ego and inability to relate to the kids on any level, unless they were of course talking about HIS awesomeness.
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  15:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:
Originally posted by ABC_Baseball

The problem I have with parents doing this is when they get upset and kick up dust at the coach when their kid is benched because they can't perform, when they have tried to pay their kids way to play. I know people that have spent thousands in training for their kid and the kid is no better now than when they started training. Those are the parents that lobby for their kid when they know they can not perform. Just a bad reflection when a parent lobby's for their kid and they can't perform. Makes the parent look very bad for doing so, they can't play for their kids.
Too much talking, not enough doing.

Don't tell me. SHOW ME!

The trust has to be a two way street in my book. If you advertise you are putting together a majors team, don't be afraid to tell me who you have coming back, who your are letting go and who you are looking at. I don't find many teams doing that. They expect that if we extend you an offer, you should accept it or leave it. I've shown them what my kid can do but you rarely get the same opportunity to know/see what they have before you have to commit.

I think with certain places/teams its easy b/c you know based of off past teams and interest that it will be one of the best teams around. However, there are plenty of teams where it fluctuates year to year.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  19:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Some do no doubt. Most don't.

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

I have to disagree rippit that the "little boy" coaches don't make good role models. (Assuming we are talking about those that are in it for the right reasons and not just a paycheck AND that can translate their knowledge into actual instruction). Many of these guys make AWESOME role models. The boys relate to them in a totally different way than they do to an "adult" and have a whole different level of respect for them. And it is just a completely different dynamic when they are not that far removed from them age-wise. It is also a completely different dynamic when the coach has absolutely no skin in the game. Even the very best dad coaches (and we've had several) cannot be completely unaffected by their child being on the team, as a parent that is virtually impossible... In fact I think it's a reality check for boys who play for these young guys to hear first hand what it takes..the sacrifices they had to make to get there...what they had to give up, how hard it was to also have the grades..etc. To even make it "3 years or less in rookie/A ball" or even to make a college team for that matter, is an extraordinary accomplishment when you look at the number of high school players who have that as their goal, so just the dedication and discipline getting them there makes them role models in its own right.

Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  21:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule number 1 if your kid can really play: never, ever, never, ever commit under pressure. If you are good, even "good" teams will allow you enough time to explore your options. If they are confident in themselves as a team, and in your kid as a player, they know there is a high likelihood you will end up there and will hold your spot. Let's say your kid plays 2B...in the meantime will another stud 2B show up? Maybe. But can a solid team operate with only one 2B? No, unless you are planning to never pitch. Otherwise battle it out in practice for who will be the starter. Confidence is key. If you think your player is weaker and this is their "big chance" take it and go for it. Then bring it in practice and earn the spot. If the coaches are arses with ego/attitude issues figure that out ahead of time by talking to them! Sometimes if they show up after the fall season has started and you don't like them? There is always the fall/Feb shakeout...make a move. Might you lose some $$? Sure..it boils down to your players needs/your needs/ your finances. How good your player is, and how old..what's at stake?
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  22:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rule number 1 if your kid can really play: never, ever, never, ever commit under pressure. If you are good, even "good" teams will allow you enough time to explore your options. If they are confident in themselves as a team, and in your kid as a player, they know there is a high likelihood you will end up there and will hold your spot. Let's say your kid plays 2B...in the meantime will another stud 2B show up? Maybe. But can a solid team operate with only one 2B? No, unless you are planning to never pitch. Otherwise battle it out in practice for who will be the starter. Confidence is key. If you think your player is weaker and this is their "big chance" take it and go for it. Then bring it in practice and earn the spot. If the coaches are arses with ego/attitude issues figure that out ahead of time by talking to them! Sometimes if they show up after the fall season has started and you don't like them? There is always the fall/Feb shakeout...make a move. Might you lose some $$? Sure..it boils down to your players needs/your needs/ your finances. How good your player is, and how old..what's at stake?

Agreed. Also, do not get fooled by cheap priced teams. If the cost is too good to be true, it usually is. Do you math on the cost of tournaments in the fall and spring. Find out early what tournaments they are playing in or played in before. Did they loose to a team an age younger? Watch out for those home grown low-level tournaments no one has ever heard of. There are a lot of teams that end play in June with only 10 tournaments under their belt for the spring, while other continue play to the end of July.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  07:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There really are no bargains in travel ball. Beware multiple expensive out of town tourneys. One in younger ages is ample and only recruitment worthy ones for big boys. There is PLENTY of talent right here to play against. Why travel to timbuktu? And a Dad coached team should be LESS than a paid coach.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  08:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

Agreed. Also, do not get fooled by cheap priced teams. If the cost is too good to be true, it usually is. Do you math on the cost of tournaments in the fall and spring. Find out early what tournaments they are playing in or played in before. Did they loose to a team an age younger? Watch out for those home grown low-level tournaments no one has ever heard of. There are a lot of teams that end play in June with only 10 tournaments under their belt for the spring, while other continue play to the end of July.

Also ask for clarification. Doesn't it sound great when a team says "We won the state championship last year"....what they didn't say was that it was a USSSA tourney and there were 5 teams in the "State" championship, oh and they played as a AA team and are advertising to form a Majors team.

Go to Top of Page

TeamATLbaseball

18 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  08:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All-If you are trying out for a new team, please take some time and do some research. I've seen so many teams I know calling themselves AAA-Major it's hard to believe. I've seen AA teams that I know calling for MAJORS player tryout this year. Do some searching on gamechanger and check out their records and who they played last year. Also, in most cases you should save your $50,$60<70,80 try out fees. From experience, I can tell you that most teams are only looking for a couple of players to finalize a roster and most likely there are a few kids that they have invited to check out. If you show up and don't know anyone, you had better be alot better than everyone else on the field to get any notice. Organizations say the tryout fee is a way to only attract interested players. While there may be some truth in that statement, keep the fee to $25. I see some teams this year as much as $80. That's simply a money making scheme.

True story...pull up those usssa, triple crown tournament, GGBL, etc results. Now wins and losses don't tell the full story but if you were an A level team losing games by 10 plus runs then I would not call that a successful season. And look out for the "won" tournament too...a win is a win but some of those wins might be lower flight or D3 wins which is fine but don't try to mislead perspective players.

Also you are right that most of these teams good or bad have their full roster returning and they should say that as to not waste people's time. And off course if a team is in need of players then all tryouts should be free as many legit teams have them.

Edited by - TeamATLbaseball on 07/04/2016 09:25:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000