New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

satchel

28 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  17:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All-If you are trying out for a new team, please take some time and do some research. I've seen so many teams I know calling themselves AAA-Major it's hard to believe. I've seen AA teams that I know calling for MAJORS player tryout this year. Do some searching on gamechanger and check out their records and who they played last year. Also, in most cases you should save your $50,$60<70,80 try out fees. From experience, I can tell you that most teams are only looking for a couple of players to finalize a roster and most likely there are a few kids that they have invited to check out. If you show up and don't know anyone, you had better be alot better than everyone else on the field to get any notice. Organizations say the tryout fee is a way to only attract interested players. While there may be some truth in that statement, keep the fee to $25. I see some teams this year as much as $80. That's simply a money making scheme.

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  08:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Satchel....I agree and disagree. There are likely dozens of teams calling themselves AAA/Low Majors that have 2 AAA kids and 9 AA kids and they want to go higher....in this case game changer and PG events are vital to see who they played and how many times they played and also how they did. Just because Team X played in the D1 Triple Crown tourney doesn't meant they were D1, check how they did. If they were blown out three games in a row scoring 0-2 in each game they shouldn't have been in that tourney.

Some tryouts cost money, it's as simple as that and isn't always a scam. Think of a place like ECB, they have 8+ teams per age group, usually 2 age groups trying out together. That is 16+ coaches that have to be there for 6 hours...then add in the field time that could have gone to a tournament that weekend, the people that collect the trash, keep the bathrooms stocked, handle any field issues....etc. It costs money.

Then you have teams that put on an honest to goodness skills clinic for 6+ hours, trained coaches teaching kids and evaluating, plus field time....yeah, they have the right to charge for that too. Now if you are talking about a team that is charging to have 10+ kids evaluated at a church baseball field, or public park, for 2 hours to round out their team yeah, keep that to under $25 or it should be free. But just because a team is charging a tryout fee doesn't mean it's a money making scheme.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  10:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Satchel...... I have to agree with you. I have seen many postings of teams I know for a fact that are AA at best looking for Major players. Hard to gauge with a new team, but with existing teams research must be done to avoid a disaster. I went to one major team tryout just to observe and took my radar gun and stop watch with me. I can say for a fact that those were totally rec level players out there. There are many practice and tryout studs out there, but you can't teach hustle and speed. They were actually charging $45 for the tryout on a park field when 10u kids could not throw or even hit a 40mph fastball. My baseline for 10u pitchers is 55 mph min for a major level team. At major level the pitching and hitting is better. First to home times were about 4.5 seconds average. At major level that time should be 3.2 seconds. I guess I'm giving away some of my baselines but I would advise parents to watch the other players of the team during any tryout, not just their own.

If you see the coaches just hit dribblers to kids lined up at ss and 2nd for most of the tryout, just run. No way to gauge a player with just a 1hr tryout. Tryouts should last at least 3hrs to test for stamina, consistency and attention span.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/20/2016 11:01:44
Go to Top of Page

mr3000

2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  15:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I could pick the top 90% best players at a tryout by watching them walk up to my sign up desk. I am serious!
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  21:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr3000

I believe I could pick the top 90% best players at a tryout by watching them walk up to my sign up desk. I am serious!

You could tell by the way they carry themselves. If they can't follow simple instructions that's another clue.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  07:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punishers

quote:

You could tell by the way they carry themselves. If they can't follow simple instructions that's another clue.

I would agree there is a way top athletes just hold themselves, and it's usually clear pretty early in the process. I would, however, caution coaches about the "simple instruction" test.

There are several kids that have HIGH baseball IQ's and would be a great addition to any team but can't interpret your simple instruction. This is especially true if the instruction isn't part of the game he has been playing for years. Telling a dyslexic or ADHD kid to throw in a star pattern for example, i.e. C to SS, SS to 1B, 1B to 3B, 3B to 2B, 2B to C, might sound simple to YOU but not them.

Also, these kids will have MAJOR issues with imaginary people on base. i.e. if you set up your field and yell out "there is a guy on second" and then you hit the ball. There is a HIGH probability that had you actually put a guy on second it would have been a better test of the fields abilities and baseball IQ's.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  08:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pretty clear who the majors teams are if you follow your son's age group. If they are going to charge a fee that's just part of it, a means to an end if it's a reputable organization (easy to find out) but a private tryout is always preferable to a mass exhibition if you can get it ahead of time. I for one greatly prefer a tryout that includes live game/scrimmage scenarios. A lot of kids can pound it in the cages or off a coach pitching from the screen, yet will totally choke at the plate with a live pitcher throwing heat. Likewise many pitchers lose control with an actual batter at the plate, let alone with bases loaded and no outs. Someone hitting balls right to you at ss, even hard ones, doesn't always reflect those split second dives, knowing what to do with the ball when, etc in a real game. That really shows who the true "majors" players are. Summary..see if you can practice with the team. You will still have to pay the fee if they take you but gives you a real read on the team. Not all will do this, especially during the season, but its worth a try.

Edited by - Crazyforbball on 06/22/2016 09:31:37
Go to Top of Page

lowandoutside

69 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:

quote:

I would agree there is a way top athletes just hold themselves, and it's usually clear pretty early in the process. I would, however, caution coaches about the "simple instruction" test.

There are several kids that have HIGH baseball IQ's and would be a great addition to any team but can't interpret your simple instruction. This is especially true if the instruction isn't part of the game he has been playing for years. Telling a dyslexic or ADHD kid to throw in a star pattern for example, i.e. C to SS, SS to 1B, 1B to 3B, 3B to 2B, 2B to C, might sound simple to YOU but not them.

Also, these kids will have MAJOR issues with imaginary people on base. i.e. if you set up your field and yell out "there is a guy on second" and then you hit the ball. There is a HIGH probability that had you actually put a guy on second it would have been a better test of the fields abilities and baseball IQ's.

I think the "simple instruction" he was referring to was just that....simple instruction. Like, put your gear in the dugout and then go warm up. Only to find the same kid standing in the dugout with a blank look on his face wondering what to do next. I see it happen at every tryout. Fortunately the kid usually has Mommy or Daddy there to remind him what he's supposed to be doing. Little do they know, that's a huge red flag......nothing a coach hates more than a helicopter parent.
Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  09:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Very true statements. You can tell an "athlete" / "ball player" just by the way they move and carry themselves. I have made the comment several times to my wife "they don't look like they can play ball" and I've rarely been off.

Coordination and fluid movement is very easy to pick up on. When you see a kid run 20 feet with his glove arm extended to catch a pop fly, that is "not" smooth athletic movement to the ball.

Funny story, years ago watching Dick Vital on ESPN he was talking about his top young players. He said about Kirk Hinrich while at Kansas "he may look like Opie" but he's a player....
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  10:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowandoutside

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the "simple instruction" he was referring to was just that....simple instruction. Like, put your gear in the dugout and then go warm up. Only to find the same kid standing in the dugout with a blank look on his face wondering what to do next. I see it happen at every tryout. Fortunately the kid usually has Mommy or Daddy there to remind him what he's supposed to be doing. Little do they know, that's a huge red flag......nothing a coach hates more than a helicopter parent.

Correct! Just very simple instructions.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  11:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree about the helicopter parent, during a tryout a parent shouldn't even talk to their kid...but still wouldn't write a kid off if he forgot why he went to the dugout, especially as they get older and get that space cadet syndrome thing going on.

Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  11:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ABC_Baseball

quote:

quote:

Very true statements. You can tell an "athlete" / "ball player" just by the way they move and carry themselves. I have made the comment several times to my wife "they don't look like they can play ball" and I've rarely been off.

Coordination and fluid movement is very easy to pick up on. When you see a kid run 20 feet with his glove arm extended to catch a pop fly, that is "not" smooth athletic movement to the ball.

Funny story, years ago watching Dick Vital on ESPN he was talking about his top young players. He said about Kirk Hinrich while at Kansas "he may look like Opie" but he's a player....

Correct. You can even tell older athletes (if they are not limping ) by the way they carry themselves. Hinrich made to Kansas which is no small feat, so must have had some athletic qualities to get noticed.

You are right about the coordination and fluid movement. I've seen many do exactly as you said. I understand that not all kids get the same level of training or do not have the same athletic prowess at certain ages, but there has to be a time when the lightbulb goes off and they really get it. Some earlier than others.

You really want to be on a team where all players are not to far off from being equal in playing performance skill. It's just a waste to have a major level standout player on a AA team playing with players that are clearly below their level.

Same for coaches as well who trying to put together Major level teams when their core players may be suited playing rec, A, or AA level and do not understand how Major level teams really work.

Edited by - Punishers on 06/22/2016 11:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  11:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyforbball

It's pretty clear who the majors teams are if you follow your son's age group. If they are going to charge a fee that's just part of it, a means to an end if it's a reputable organization (easy to find out) but a private tryout is always preferable to a mass exhibition if you can get it ahead of time. I for one greatly prefer a tryout that includes live game/scrimmage scenarios. A lot of kids can pound it in the cages or off a coach pitching from the screen, yet will totally choke at the plate with a live pitcher throwing heat. Likewise many pitchers lose control with an actual batter at the plate, let alone with bases loaded and no outs. Someone hitting balls right to you at ss, even hard ones, doesn't always reflect those split second dives, knowing what to do with the ball when, etc in a real game. That really shows who the true "majors" players are. Summary..see if you can practice with the team. You will still have to pay the fee if they take you but gives you a real read on the team. Not all will do this, especially during the season, but its worth a try.

We prefer scrimmage/live game style tryouts anyway. Players are expected to be able to field coach hit balls anyway, but live game intelligence will give you good feedback. Practicing with a potential team also helps, as long as they are not lolly gagging around during the practice.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  11:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree about the helicopter parent, during a tryout a parent shouldn't even talk to their kid...but still wouldn't write a kid off if he forgot why he went to the dugout, especially as they get older and get that space cadet syndrome thing going on.

In the past I used to just tell parents when they release their kid to my care not to say anything or just walk way to avoid any added pressure to the player that will possibly effect their tryout performance.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  17:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For some reason, these days kids do not have what I would call a normal attention span. Maybe too many phones and tablets they are looking down at do not help either.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  07:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For some reason, these days kids do not have what I would call a normal attention span. Maybe too many phones and tablets they are looking down at do not help either.

For some reason I truly believe my son had a greater attention span at age 9 than he does at age 14! And the entire house agrees that the 7 year old girl has a much greater attention span than the 14 year old boy...it's just something we have adapted to. When the girl hands me her progress report I know to ask the boy for his!
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  09:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And yes, punishers...the lolly gagging at practice is also a great indicator to the majors player trying out to cross that team off the list. Biggest problem I see is there are SO many teams that the talent gets diluted..and the few consistently solid majors teams rarely have more than a spot for the new guys who have made it to this level. So out of pure necessity these guys often end up playing on a team where not everyone is on par with them. And let's not forget the politics end of it either. Just have to keep chipping away at it year after year waiting for someone to go to another sport full time. In the meantime I say go for the best coaching, which will ultimately attract the best players.
Go to Top of Page

GreenDawg

4 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So related to trying out for a team, why do some dad coaches email back regarding plans to schedule a private tryout and then never follow up. And, then I see new postings by the same person looking for players. Can we at least get some courtesy to see the player play before making assumptions.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDawg

So related to trying out for a team, why do some dad coaches email back regarding plans to schedule a private tryout and then never follow up. And, then I see new postings by the same person looking for players. Can we at least get some courtesy to see the player play before making assumptions.

No followup within a timely fashion? Still posting looking for players? I would pass on that team. That's just me though.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

These coaches are human, paid coaches also have issues following up with people. I think that has less to do with them being a dad coach and more to do with the fact that some people have poor organizational skills.

There will ALWAYS be postings for more players. Even if they say they are only looking for one player that's bull, if a kid throwing 10+mph over any kid currently on the roster asks to tryout they will let him....12 kids on a team 13 kids on a team...not much difference to most coaches.
Go to Top of Page

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  11:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yes, punishers...the lolly gagging at practice is also a great indicator to the majors player trying out to cross that team off the list. Biggest problem I see is there are SO many teams that the talent gets diluted..and the few consistently solid majors teams rarely have more than a spot for the new guys who have made it to this level. So out of pure necessity these guys often end up playing on a team where not everyone is on par with them. And let's not forget the politics end of it either. Just have to keep chipping away at it year after year waiting for someone to go to another sport full time. In the meantime I say go for the best coaching, which will ultimately attract the best players.

The dilution of talent is real in the metro area and most major level teams are already set. Being the outside new player on an established team is hard. PT will be limited if not non-existent. Be patient the weed out will happen in time. Politics has no business in baseball or any other sport in my opinion. It doesn't matter how well someone lobby's for their kid, if the performance isn't there if will be evident. There are a lot of players, but less than 1/3 are performers that can execute consistently.

There is also the social aspect that furthers the dilution. I do not have to like the coaches or other parents on a personal level in order for coaches and players to perform in the game where it counts. For other parents, they have to like the parents and coaches on a personal level and have pool parties and such. Sociality kills performance.

I grew up in a small town so everyone knew who could and couldn't play. No dilution there and politics didn't get the Mayors kid on the team either, but our coach had "Grumpy Old Man" mentality and would not hold his tongue. He would let a parent or player know if he can or can not do something. Not like today where parents are super-sensitive about what people say even though they see their kid let 5 out of 5 ground balls go between the legs.
(Get the next one? May not be a next one! Unless the coach of the other team sees it and tells hit batters to hit it his way.)
Go to Top of Page

bfriendly

376 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  12:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am crackin up here in front of my key board(you know who did that) and totally relating to a whole lot of stuff being said. This is the first year we are actually thinking of staying with the same team....... kind of freaks me out.
I feel kind of compelled to have my son try out for another organization(s) to see what else is out there anyway(I think thats what freaks me out).
I dont know if its just become a habit since we've done it the last 3 years in a row or the amount of disappointments this season. I can say with certainty, Each year its gotten better and this year has easily been the best for my son so far. And we have done a lot of what the OP suggests.......I second their comments

Except the fee.....I am fine with an uppity fee depending on what we get. The Titans last year for example was worth every penny. 2 Workouts, and an actual short eval form came home with him; it was very informative. Did we make the team? No. They passed on him even though he would have been an asset no doubt Still, it was worth every penny and I'd do it again

Edited by - bfriendly on 06/23/2016 12:39:42
Go to Top of Page

GreenDawg

4 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  13:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

These coaches are human, paid coaches also have issues following up with people. I think that has less to do with them being a dad coach and more to do with the fact that some people have poor organizational skills.

There will ALWAYS be postings for more players. Even if they say they are only looking for one player that's bull, if a kid throwing 10+mph over any kid currently on the roster asks to tryout they will let him....12 kids on a team 13 kids on a team...not much difference to most coaches.

I am sorry but it takes a few minutes to reply to an email and probably longer to post to the forums. I understand that the core teams don't have many open spots, but coaches should at least either take a look or reply that this player doesn't fit their needs. Not responding is just not courteous especially when the coach asks if you are available for a tryout and then never hear back. We are very new to the tryout process so maybe this is common. We will probably try one or more of the academy clinics for the instructions and exposure.
Go to Top of Page

Crazyforbball

391 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  18:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can do the academy tryouts green dawg just for the experience, but don't get your hopes up there..and they can be expensive.. if you are serious about a team, approach them ahead of time for a private tryout as you did. 643 does do a quality open tryout but openings are very limited. If you want your son to have the experience of playing at a big academy, there are LOTS of teams at ecb at ALL levels. If someone doesn't reply to a request for a tryout, while frustrating, just move on. I have no idea of your sons skill level but be realistic. It can be frustrating if you feel like he's not getting a fair look see, or is better than what people might know (i.e. may be coming from a lesser known team or one with a weak record yet be the rock star on that team) but believe me, if he's good, in time they will find him. Refer to my post above. Go for coaching and development and it will all usually play out in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  08:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can do the academy tryouts green dawg just for the experience, but don't get your hopes up there..and they can be expensive.. if you are serious about a team, approach them ahead of time for a private tryout as you did. 643 does do a quality open tryout but openings are very limited. If you want your son to have the experience of playing at a big academy, there are LOTS of teams at ecb at ALL levels. If someone doesn't reply to a request for a tryout, while frustrating, just move on. I have no idea of your sons skill level but be realistic. It can be frustrating if you feel like he's not getting a fair look see, or is better than what people might know (i.e. may be coming from a lesser known team or one with a weak record yet be the rock star on that team) but believe me, if he's good, in time they will find him. Refer to my post above. Go for coaching and development and it will all usually play out in the long run.

Good advice, I will also add, not all ECB teams are created equal. Team A may be run by a former MLB player who just went through 9u-16u with his oldest son and now he's starting at 9u again with his youngest son...i.e. might be a very knowledgeable coach with a great background in youth baseball. Team B may be coached by a dad who had a team at a local rec park for 9u and 10u and wanted the ECB name to draw more talented kids to the team...no real background in baseball other than he wanted his team to be out of ECB. Team C may be coached by a paid instructor that all he does is baseball, very knowledgeable and is a long trusted coach of ECB.

JUST BECAUSE THE TEAM SAYS ECB DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GETTING THE SAME COACHING PHILOSOPHY OR CALIBER ACROSS THE BOARD. Question the coaches, attend a practice ahead of time, and remember that 80%+ kids who show up for the ECB open tryouts are already committed to an ECB team from a pre-tryout. And even if you join the team in September you are still required to pay for the ECB open tryout...so don't think you can get around that fee with replying to a later post.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  10:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey parents: You know how you have to network in your personal life or professional life in order to move up the food chain? Baseball is no different.

Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. So you better practice the art of the deal even if your kid is only 10. The next 7-8 years will not be easy for anybody.

My advice is take it one year at a time. Look to the future and help your son set his goals based upon a TRUE evaluation of his skill set today. There will be years that he makes great strides. There will be the year he might want to quit altogether because other kids get to go on spring break or play in the pool all summer. Take it ONE YEAR AT A TIME.

You will know when it's time to do something different.

Back to networking. Talk to everybody. Be nice to everybody. EYES (and ears) IN THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD NEED TO STAY WIDE OPEN. Trust no one. They are out to advance THEIR kid and THEIR kid only. You need to do the same, but your son needs to be a great TEAM MATE first and foremost during this process. Nobody likes a butt wipe.

When opportunity knocks, answer the door. It may be a long shot or it may be the best thing you ever did for your son's either short or possibly long baseball life. Tell him not to be afraid to take risks. You don't know the answer until you at least tried and then if you fall short, figure out together how to make it better the next time.

Nobody every got better at baseball by sitting at their computer or playing video games or netflixing while chilling. If you son spends more time doing any other one thing beside playing baseball, it may not be his thing.

For these academy tryouts and junk, just like my advice on college recruiting and being proactive with the college coaches, if you are on a field with 60 other guys, don't you think it might be helpful to have been proactive FIRST? Maybe put a pink hat on him or something and tell whoever ahead of time 'hey my kid will be in the pink hat! Watch him and tell me what you think. He really wants to play for this team!"

Okay - you get the drift. At the older ages you show up to a showcase or camp and everybody is given the same shirt and hat to wear so you can't rep your travel team or HS jersey. But if you have prefaced that camp or showcase visit with a bunch of emails or phone texts (your son should do this not you), you better believe that there is a circle or asterisk or something by his name and assigned number. Same thing at these tryouts. Just distinguish the fine line between proactive and pain in the arse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000