General Discussion
 Best -10 Bat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  15:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions? Looking to buy my son another bat. Currently he uses a NIKE. I am thinking about a cf4 2009 what say you?

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We recently purchased my son a Combat B2 Dabomb in a 30"/20oz, 2-1/4" barrel. He was using a TPX Triton big barrel in the same length/weight combination. The Combat seems to have a lot more pop than most any bat I've seen lately. You don't see many travel players these days using small barrels but when we played in the Super NIT this Spring, the best hitting team I've seen at this age group used them almost exclusively. For what it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  18:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jc1964

We recently purchased my son a Combat B2 Dabomb in a 30"/20oz, 2-1/4" barrel. He was using a TPX Triton big barrel in the same length/weight combination. The Combat seems to have a lot more pop than most any bat I've seen lately. You don't see many travel players these days using small barrels but when we played in the Super NIT this Spring, the best hitting team I've seen at this age group used them almost exclusively. For what it's worth.

We have a couple of those small barrel combats but my son does not like small barrel bats and since hitting is about confidence, I choose to let him use the big barrels that he thinks he hits better with.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  22:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your son may not like the small barrel bat but make him hit with it in BP. That is primarily what is used by the best players in Florida up to 11u. When he sees the ball fly off the bat after a while he should grow to like it. Also, the gold Rawlings Plasma is an excellent bat. Alot of kids use it in Florida. Also, Combat just came out with a Big Barrel B2. I have heard alot of good things about it, my son used it for the first time in BP today, he really liked it. In a game tonight he used the Rawlings Plasma for the first time, I was impressed. I would prefer my son continue to hit with the small barrel B2 though.

quote:
Originally posted by jc1964

Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  23:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is really a matter of preference. All bats are tested and there is a limit for the speed the ball can off the bat when hit. Composite bats are suppose to be better, but are not as durable as aluminum. double walled bats are supposed to have more pop. Some bats like the Demarini's tend to be more head heavy. The Louisville Slugger Catalyst and its replacement the Triton seem to be more of a balanced weight distribution. The balance affects the perceived swing weight of the bat. If you want the biggest hitting area I haven't seen anything bigger than the 2 3/4 Catalyst/Triton. If you want your son to learn to hit better a small barrel is probably the way to start, but that is hard when nearly everyone in travel is using big barrels. I would say get a jump on using the required bat size before it changes in the next age group. i.e. - from -10 to -8.5 to -5 to -3 (whatever the restriction is) and from 2 3/4 to 2 5/8.
Here are some websites links with reviews,articles,etc.

http://www.baseballbatreviewsblog.com/

Avoid "The Golfer Syndrome" When Choosing a Bat for Your Child

http://www.baseball-bats.net/baseball-bats/choosing-a-baseball-bat/bat-article1.html

Physics and Acoustics of Baseball and Softball Bats

http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats.html
Go to Top of Page

BaseballJunky12

49 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  00:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son likes the Cataylst and has tried lots of different ones.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  06:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both my grandson's use the CF3 and have really like this bat. My 10U uses the EXO -5 and although a little heavy swings it well and likes it better than the CF3. The 10 year old did use one of the other players DA Bomb in the cage and also really liked this bat. The 12 year old likes the CF3 so much that he was already asking for the CF4 before anyone had them in stock.
Go to Top of Page

baseball99

89 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  10:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard this said many times and it's my turn to pass it along:

IT HAS MORE TO DO WITH THE INDIAN THAN IT DOES WITH THE ARROWS !!
Go to Top of Page

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  13:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take two good indians give one a better bow and arrow who you want to stand behind?
Go to Top of Page

Hey Man

53 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  15:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would buy your son a Triton. These are like Catalyst's but I think they have more pop.
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  13:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a kid at 11u recently swinging the Easton Synergy 30/20 it is a 2 3/4 barrel with a 95 rating for sweet spot on this length and weight. When the indian is swinging properly he is killing it. This is their attempt at the one piece composite. The great old blue dynasty 29/20 is still in the bag going strong, just put a new end cap and grip on it, still an awesome bat. May look battle worn, but still produces. I heard rumors they were going to come back out with two different levels of the old dynasty shortly. i will be in line to get it. When was the last time you had a 300 bat last 4 years and only regrip it and replace an endcap?
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  13:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highcheese:how much do you want for you great old blue dynasty? Best bat made in the last 10 years.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  15:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stand behind the cowboy with 30/30.
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  15:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shutout - cannot part with it- the kid told me yesterday "i know we are breaking the synergy in, can I use the blue dynasty against a real fast pitcher?"I was dying inside laughing - told him you can use old blue anytime you want, still an awesome bat. Darn bats are like drivers, I have hit 10 drivers farther than the one I have now, but the accuracy and confidence I have in my old one is not worth the chance to get 10 more yards. To the confidence point - had a kid last year go through 6 or 7 bats and not find one he could use - kid is a great hitter - with all the trying of bats he could not buy a hit - told his dad to go out and find a used one just like his old one - ta da - kid is ripping it again - mind over matter sometimes
Go to Top of Page

ECBdad

21 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have searched the world for a a 29" blue dynasty to no avail. My son crushed the ball with his 28" but needed more plate coverage. Got the new 2 5/8 version and its just not the same. If they come with a new 2 3/4, I join you at the front of the line.
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  22:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a slightly used 29" Blue Dynasty if you are interested. It was in my son's bag for a season and other players used it, but he only used the Exo... I don't remember off the top of my head if it needs a new grip (We have the Dynasty in 27" and 28", both of which need new grips).

Shoot me an e-mail at 3sonmac at gmail.com if you are interested.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  07:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highcheese
quote:
Originally posted by highcheese

The great old blue dynasty 29/20 is still in the bag going strong, just put a new end cap and grip on it, still an awesome bat. May look battle worn, but still produces.

Hey if you take your dynasty and hold the barrel and hit the handle on a garage floor softly, does it make a sound or does it just click? Someone told me that is how to tell if a bat is dead. I have a 29 Dynasty and think the end cap might need replacing too, how did you get the other cap off and where did you get the replacement.
Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  12:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurricane - I got it from baseballbargains.com I tried to order two of them but the guy said he only had one and Lousville Slugger did not have any more in stock. The item number is REC-234PC, make sure you are ordering the correct size for the barrell size. WWW.bowensports.com may have them too. I think you are right on the sound, if you hear anything other than a nice tight thud you may have an issue. On how to replace it - it sure was a @#$%@. Mind you this was the first one I have done and think I was conned by others who are laughing at the moment saying it was easy. I drilled a hole in it, then made an + across it with a plastic blade on a jigsaw, then finished with a dremel, being very careful not to hit the metal itself, those caps are in there! I was thinking 15 minutes tops..........hour later. One of the keys is to make sure you get all your shavings out of the barrell, I wipped it out several times with a coat hanger and thin towel. Putting the end cap on sounds easy right, just tape it to the end and pop it on, no prob. Yeah right, remeber how tight it was in there in the first place. Do take a piece of tape to hold it on the end, i had a thin rubber mat which i slammed it down on, make sure you come straight down. Other people have told me they use a block of wood and a sledge. It takes a lot of force to pop that cap in. I am sure there is another way to do this that is so quick and easy, would love to find that out. Old blue has had a tune up and ready to hit another 50000 balls
Go to Top of Page

shadrach

10 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  16:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't tried the Albin's you should look at them. They're aluminum and have a very low swing weight. A 21 ounce bat feels more like 19. My son uses two bats, an Easton comp 2 1/4 31" and a TPX Omaha, 2 5/8 and 30" the blue one the year before the Dynasty came out. Both have lots of pop. The reason I bring up the Albin is that it feels much more balanced than both the Easton or Louisville bats my son has. They look to be top quality, too.

They're worth looking at if you're game for aluminum and want a balanced bat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000