New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  22:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FlBaseballFan: Glad to see you found somebody else's case to get on so that you could get off mine. Sic em Tiger. I know nothing of what you all are talking about with the Miami Playmakers, Little League and all that junk. When you are ready to talk some real baseball come to Papa.
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C. MORTON

quote:
Originally posted by biged

The Miami Playmakers are out of Kendal. Not a powerhouse area. Again, if they ain't playing out of Tamiami then they are most likely a sub par team.

It was the team from Tamiami and I may have had the names mixed up but that was the team...

It was Team Miami........last year as 12u and they were ranked in Travel Ball Select....

Papa what I have noticed is that there are 2 10u major teams in Fl that seem to be good THIS year...last year where were they??? If you go back to last year and look for the top 2 teams from this year you may be searching for a while. Now if you go back in Ga last year you will see the same group that is banging it out this year...Fl baseball, I mean South Fl baseball is doing well THIS year in the 10u last year in was North FL, I mean South Georgia..So I guess what that really means is for that past 2 years Ga has had the best baseball....
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  09:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this LL topic came up awhile back....I side with PAPA here...can't see how LL and true travel teams can even be compared...and yes I realize many LL players play travelball but by in large how many play elite travel ball week after week??? I say few........this would make a fun post...
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  10:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Moser, If I were moving to Florida and Travel Baseball was a pretty high priority I would not go to Naples (If you can help it). There are some decent teams and if you had to go there your kid could play. South Florida is better than Central Florida were I am at but I would not live in South Florida. If you could find something within an hour of Tampa or Orlando your kid would have plenty of options. You may not have a choice but to go to Naples, if that is the case there are still some decent teams there.

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

You seem like a guy who likes specifics, so I will try to comply...

Disclaimer...I'm a 10u guy.

I have been considering moving to Naples to avoid GA State income tax.
But 1st, gotta ck out the youth baseball scene down there so I called some 10U travel ball Coaches. 2 Coaches told me USSSA is not the leading org along the Southwest Coast of FLA (remember, I said in "some" places). They were from Naples and Ft.Myers.. If they want to play usssa, they go to Miami, otherwise they play AAU, other orgs., or non-affiliated tourneys. I've spoken to others around the Country, but these are my most recent sources (3 weeks ago).

Now to the local scene...many ATL metro teams have played in multiple Triple Crown, USTBA, and non-affiliated tourneys, but hardly any usssa (if any at all). OP Storm has been very active this Spring, but we just ran into them at their 1st usssa tourney last weekend. Acworth Warriors are not even registered w/ USSSA. Sharon Springs Spartans played in only 1 usssa tourney (in their backyard). In East Cobb, I'd say Triple Crown is the top Org at the moment for 10U.

So this is where I get my info. USSSA is not really big ALL over the country. They may be the biggest ACROSS the County, but there are pockets where they play 2nd fiddle, or are almost non-existent.

I hope you will accept my facts as straight. I try to be a reliable source of info, and not just make things up to hear myself type.

B-T-W, my sons team has played USSSA exclusively this season. No TC, USTBA, GS, or non affiliated...yet.

quote:
Originally posted by FLBASEBALLFAN

Where do you guys get your information. First of all USSSA is really big all over the country. More teams were registered with USSSA than any other orginization in the country last year, including Little League. Second of all, AAU is not the biggest in Florida, they used to be but not even close to USSSA now. Third, the Miami Playmakers were not caught cheating last year. They were 10's and played and won the Pony World Series last year and they are out of Tamiami. They went to the Pony World Series and Tennessee NYBC as the Tamiami Playmakers. I forget what team it was but it was a 12u team out of Miami that was thrown out of the Little League tournament. Come on guys get your facts straight.

Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, my kid played Little League one season, we would never do it again.

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa

FlBaseballFan: Glad to see you found somebody else's case to get on so that you could get off mine. Sic em Tiger. I know nothing of what you all are talking about with the Miami Playmakers, Little League and all that junk. When you are ready to talk some real baseball come to Papa.

Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  10:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are looking at USSSA for last year you won't find nearly as many teams from South or Central Florida. Most of the teams played AAU in Central Florida and South Florida was Triple Crown last year but have since made the switch to USSSA. This includes the Glory, Rawlings USA Patriots (formerly Tampa Boltz the 9u AAU National Champions), Bullets Baseball and many more.

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by biged

The Miami Playmakers are out of Kendal. Not a powerhouse area. Again, if they ain't playing out of Tamiami then they are most likely a sub par team.

It was the team from Tamiami and I may have had the names mixed up but that was the team...

It was Team Miami........last year as 12u and they were ranked in Travel Ball Select....

Papa what I have noticed is that there are 2 10u major teams in Fl that seem to be good THIS year...last year where were they??? If you go back to last year and look for the top 2 teams from this year you may be searching for a while. Now if you go back in Ga last year you will see the same group that is banging it out this year...Fl baseball, I mean South Fl baseball is doing well THIS year in the 10u last year in was North FL, I mean South Georgia..So I guess what that really means is for that past 2 years Ga has had the best baseball....

Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  11:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tater77bug

I believe this LL topic came up awhile back....I side with PAPA here...can't see how LL and true travel teams can even be compared...and yes I realize many LL players play travelball but by in large how many play elite travel ball week after week??? I say few........this would make a fun post...

PC Vipers at 9 and 10 played Dizzy Dean and they also played numerous travel tournaments. Looks like they were successful in both. http://www.pcvipers.com/about_us.html I am sure one of them could chime in and say if it hurt them to play closed 60' bases and pitch 45' and then play in Travel Tournaments. The elite LL teams are playing travel ball tournaments week end week out, they are using different names as required by LL. Last year even East Marietta LL had a travel team. They were not strong by any stretch of the imagination, but they were also not strong in the LL district tournament.

This area could have a top LL team, but there are a lot of variables that need to be addressed. I would say 80% of youth baseball players in the NW Atlanta area are not within a LL District and could get waivers to play in a LL Park. I would love for someone to try to pull (recruit) a great team together for a run at the LLWS out of East Marietta. Their is no reason why a "player" could not play both LL and Travel at a high level... JMHO
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  12:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am completely lost with this Little League junk. What are the rules. Would the Bandits qualify and if we did qualify would it be tougher than what we are doing now. Someone out there knows the answer to these questions. Remember that 90% of our kids are within 15 miles of each other.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  14:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa, don't bother with Little League. It would be a waste of time for the Bandits. The level of play is terrible. If a travel team was going to get into any form of rec. ball you should go to Pony or Cal Ripken. You have open bases at majors and you can qualify for the NYBC.

quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa

I am completely lost with this Little League junk. What are the rules. Would the Bandits qualify and if we did qualify would it be tougher than what we are doing now. Someone out there knows the answer to these questions. Remember that 90% of our kids are within 15 miles of each other.

Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  08:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa only good thing the Bandits would get out of it is NATIONAL TV, and we all know what that can do for up and comming ball players..There are some MLB players that played L.L. and some ex-MLB players coach some of these teams..It may not be travel baseball, but where else in the world would you get the chance to teams from all over the WORLD...I bet once you get to region the teams would be tougher than most think...But I guess Cooperstown is as close as most teams will get to playing teams from across the world...And with Cooperstown anyone can go..L.L. you just have to keep Winning...It may not be the best teams in travel ball but to be on a national stage like that will be what few 12yr old get to talk about......
Go to Top of Page

tuckersbo

25 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  18:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C. Morton: Our son-in-law formed the Chattanooga Chiefs when our grandson was 6. As an 8-year-old, our grandson was fortunate to play on the team that won the 10U championship at Cooperstown and also fortunate enough to have his dad as the head coach/manager. Baseball Papa's 12U grandson was also a member of that championship team. As a 10-year-old our grandson is once again fortunate enough to be headed back to Cooperstown for the 10U tournament--this time, with Baseball Papa's 10U grandson. Being able to say you were on that team, being the first team from GA to win 10U (we were told), and the memories from that week will never be erased. However, just going to that "arena" with all the aura it possesses is a memory in itself--win or lose.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  19:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it matters to you Papa the Bay Bombers were the 2005 Dizzy Dean FL. State Champs. The next year our league (RLTurner Panama City) changed over to LL, our "All-Star" team won what was considered Little Leagues Florida State Championship in 06,07,08. All of our kids play on seperate teams and then join back together after a 20 game season and become RLTurners All-Star team. The problem is our kids can't play any other ball or be on a official roster 2 weeks before tournament play begins. I personally would rather win a real National Championship like the one in Memphis....;) On to something different PaPa we are playing up in an 11u USSSA Tournament this weekend and went 2-0 in pool play. WE lost a tough one last weekend in a wood bat tournament to a AAA team, we just couldn't put any thing together about like we played at the S-NIT against the TPSA Bandits. Nevever the less we will see how we hold up tomorrow against the older boys.
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  00:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying anyone should go play L.L. baseball...I was just stating what L.L. would provide for a team making it to the BIG SHOW. As far as Coopertown goes, there are several weeks and diffrent teams win weeks. There is no real winner of Cooperstown I don't think.. Like I said before ANYONE can go to Cooperstown, win or lose.....
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10BB: We also enjoy every now and then in playing in some 11U tournaments winning 2 out of 3 I believe. In fact 2 of our biggest wins last year in our minds came against major 11U teams that we have a ton of respect for. This just shows that the Bombers are trying to get better and not just fill up the trophy case.

We are doing something this weekend that we have never tried before and so far it has been a great experience. We played the Germantown Giants yesterday and the Cincy Flames both nationally recognized programs and will play Germantown again today along with the Knoxville Stars that is also recognized on the national 10U scene.
There are no trophies being given with just the opportunity to play the best.

Germantown is the real deal so be watching out for them. We won 3-2 in a great game but I would as soon lost 3-2 just for the opportunity to be in this type game. Cincy couldn't get going against us but do have a solid team Bandits won this one 15-0.

I will let you know how we end up. Glad to hear our buddies from Florida are doing well and keep up the good work. We hope to hook up again soon with the Bombers. Good Luck.

P.S. We are also all over the real National Championship tournament in Memphis. I understand that most of the organizations are going to attend and crown a true champion so that there should be no debate as to which team is the best.
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  14:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAU is one of the participating organizations in the National Youth Baseball Championships. The NYBC tournament director told me last Thursday the dates for this year were August 27-30 although the web site has not been updated from last year by MLB. He felt these dates were final. Last year there were teams from Georgia participating. Here are some links to last years forum posts.

www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4263
www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4275
www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3700

The AAU state tournament qualifiers for the National Tournaments at Disney are still looking for teams. Click on the AAU banner on the right and check out the information about the state and links to the national information. Lets send some Georgia teams to Disney and then on to the NYBC in Memphis.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  21:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgia Guys, The Bandits did us all proud this weekend taking on the best of East Tennessee, West Tennessee, and Ohio and coming away scoring 35 runs and allowing 3. And take it from Papa these were no rum dum teams we were playing. The Knoxville Stars are as good a hitting team as we have seen and Germantown Giants and Cincy Flames both have very stong teams. But when our pitching and defense is on like it was this weekend we can be hard to beat for any team in the nation. I really like the idea that these Coaches forgot about trophies and ego and gave these teams the opportunity to play each other. Good job Coaches. It only shows that you are more interested in developing your team than chasing titles and winning trophies.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  22:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PaPa I feel the same as you, the B-BOMBERS played for the pure fun of it this weekend. We were at the disadvantage playing older kids, on a bigger field (50ft mound)so we actually had nothing to lose and every thing to gain or at least thats what I thought. We lost one game, the Championship. PaPa if you don't mind #10 pitched the game before the championship, a 5 inning shutout 8-0 victory against an 11u team from Dothan Alabama. How did the grandson do on the mound in TN and did he go yard and last did ya'll get to see Tim and Faith?
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10BB: Faith and Tim are this coming weekend. The tournament yesterday was put on by the Knoxville Stars and I have to admit was the bomb. Very good tournament although the umpires could have been better. Competition level was awesome although the scores do not give justice to the teams we were playing. My grandson pitched pitched 8 innings in the tournament and gave up 1 run to Germantown and shut out Cincy Flames and did hit one bomb. #12 hit 2 homers and in my opinion is the best pitcher we have ever seen with no one we have seen except my grandson close on the left handed side of course. You know that I think #10 is the right hander. Could you imagine these three on the same pitching staff. When Papa thinks about these 3 together I sleep better. How is #10 hitting the tater.

I will tell you what I told the Bandits. I love country music but if Faith and Tim don't have a 10 year old son hitting a ton or throwing 62-65 mph I ain't interested.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PaPa: His stick has been pretty good this year I know his batting avg. is around 450 and an on base around 650. We have a coach that keeps up with it he does a good job. #10 has always been a tough out and puts the ball in play most of the time. He's that batter coaches hate to see when base's have runners and one out, you can almost guarantee something is fixen to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  11:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa, what 11U teams have you guys played this season? I would love to see your Bandits play some of the cobb teams. I wouldn't count them out even at 50 and 70.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  16:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocky: So far this year we have not had the opportunity to play in any 11U tournaments since it has been all we could do to get in the elite 10U tournaments. And that is how we decide. If there is something with the best 10U teams we will go there but if there is only local teams then we bump up into 11U. I have seen some awesome 11U teams at East Cobb that I don't know how we could compete with but it would be fun just to ratchet it up just a little to see how our guys might react. I watched the 11U Longhorns compete against some 12 year olds and they didn't flinch at all so I don't think the Bandits would scare them any. One thing that I have noticed this year and that is that there are so many good teams in all the age divisions.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  08:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree from 9U to 13U I have been impressed.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  23:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still say Florida has the best teams.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  15:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted this post to stay on the front screen
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  17:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a name like FlBaseballFan I wonder why you feel that Florida is the best. The game is played on the field and the cream will rise to the top. What you should say is that with the teams Florida has that they should always be high in the rankings but I have seen some great teams bite the dust when they begin to think that they were better than they really were. Don't get too cocky as that always has a way of biting you in the butt when you least expect it. Florida is good and even Papa admits that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000