New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  22:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If discussed properly and with passion this topic should produce a lot of different opinions. Remember that this very question will be answered on the field between the foul lines and that what happens here is just opinion and speculation. Why am I sitting in a hotel room in Tennessee and asking this question. The answer is that the Bandits want to experience the full 10U baseball experience and wanted to see if the pasture really is greener on the Tennessee side of the pasture. The answer to this in my mind is no. We will never have to travel further than Atlanta to face the top teams in the nation. These Tennessee teams are solid but today I didn't see a Kennesaw, a 643, a Sandtown or a Stixx but I did eat a chili dog which reminded me of how the game should be played.

There can and I am sure will be many arguments to support Alabama's claim to this title and I am sure Tennessee will want to chime in with the Memphis Tigers, Germantown Giants and Knoxville Stars. But boys in Papa's mind the title lies somewherr in the area near Georgia and Florida. Even Papa will admit that these Florida boys can play some ball and although we win most of the time the Florida Boys have really got some game and when we do get beat more often than not the end of the teams name that beats us ends in FLA.

My observation is that in the early part of the baseball season that Florida has played a lot more and is ahead of most Georgia teams but that generally and I said in general later in the year the Georgia teams catch up and begin to win a lot more.

I feel that the best athletes and certainly the best baseball players we see come from Florida. I see that the Florida teams builds their travel teams from a much larger geograhical area (but not all do this) and that they all field a super strong team of 10-11 players that are strong in athletic ability and solid fundamentally and that makes for a winning combination.

We will continue our quest for excellence next week by playing in a Invitational tournament in Pigeon Forge Tennessee with the Cincy Flames, Germantown Giants, Knoxville Stars and another nationally ranked team. We look forward to laying it on the line with this bunch of national contenders as this is what will make us ready and help keep our edge when we return home to mark and protect our turf. Georgia is not only hard turf to take, it is even harder to defend and their is always a big dog waiting to take a bite out of the Bandits and though we may get beat playing these type teams in the long run win or lose it will make us better than we were yesterday.

Remember to lay claim to "Being the Best" you have to play and beat the Best. The stronger teams you play the better you will become down the road and all 10U baseball is about is getting better each time out.

Papa votes for Georgia as the overall strongest due to the number of great teams that we face every week with Florida and their few great teams the toughest that we play but I am sure and hope that you all feel the same way about your state as Papa does about Georgia and I am also sure that there will be several other states that will want to make your argument for your baseball programs.

Good luck to all teams.

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  00:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say GA is the best at 10U. I haven't heard or seen many Texas team but based on the players that come from the lone star state i would assume the have a handful of strong teams. Does anyone have a complete list of all 10U teams going to Cooperstown?

To tie this post to another topic on the board i would like to see a true elite tournament in GA of only these teams and see what happens when they have no games agains the weaker teams and see who could fight there way through.
My GA dream team GA State invitational tourney would be:

Kennesaw
Bandits
Sandtown
Stixx
Chili Dawgs Black
Georgia Grip
Scorpians
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  12:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think any state with warm weather will have the best baseball no matter what the age. Florida, California, Ga, Texas, Ms. Tough to tell at 10U though because some states don't have travel until age 11 or 12.
Go to Top of Page

Sox

55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  12:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see this tournament, Can anybody host Memorial Day Weekend, We will travel.
Tony Douglas
10U Sandtown Red Sox
P.S. Thanks PaPa for all the good you say even when nobody else will.
quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

I say GA is the best at 10U. I haven't heard or seen many Texas team but based on the players that come from the lone star state i would assume the have a handful of strong teams. Does anyone have a complete list of all 10U teams going to Cooperstown?

To tie this post to another topic on the board i would like to see a true elite tournament in GA of only these teams and see what happens when they have no games agains the weaker teams and see who could fight there way through.
My GA dream team GA State invitational tourney would be:

Kennesaw
Bandits
Sandtown
Stixx
Chili Dawgs Black
Georgia Grip
Scorpians

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  12:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you Florida boys at: Don't you have some kind of argument to make here. Any other time you can't keep you little rascals quiet. You know you are good. Tell us how good. Who do we need to watching out for. Who have you played, what were the results, what kind of record. Hang your hat on something concrete, not a one game result as we all know one game will never tell the whole story. Papa's pumped you guys up so don't let me down. Tell these people the truth about Florida Baseball.
Go to Top of Page

BaseballJunky12

49 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  13:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 9U EC Braves beat an undefeated team from FLA yesterday. Yee Haw!
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  15:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) California
2) Texas
3) Florida
4) Georgia

Its mostly a function of population, climate, and field availability. Lots of people in New York's 5 boroughs, but not many fields, and short season. You dont want to play them in stickball though!

Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  15:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nations baseball tournament this weekend is shaping up to but a great group of teams. 6 so far. Chili dogs; tigers, kennesaw, longhorns, wills park, 643. No weak links. Come on papa, stixx, sand town let get the the dream touney on. not to late.
Go to Top of Page

bigslick

55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  16:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaseballJunky12

The 9U EC Braves beat an undefeated team from FLA yesterday. Yee Haw!

What team was that? The 9U Mizuno Glory beat the EC Braves 9-1 in 4 innings at the Super NIT.
Go to Top of Page

bigslick

55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  16:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also forgot to mention the 9U Mizuno Glory beat the 10U Stixx 16-3.
Go to Top of Page

I Love Baseball

12 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  16:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all let me say that there is good baseball all over. Our Glory team set out this year to play the best teams in the biggest 10u tournaments (Cooperstown & Elite 32). But another Central Florida team that beat us this winter, the RBI Hawks just went undefeated @ the NC Super NIT and run ruled everyone but one team. This has to do with talent pool of both coaches and players and the fact that we play year round. In fact all the boys on our team play only baseball. Some have played other sports but they have a passion for baseball an play a lot of it. This really shows in the younger age groups but begins to even out when they get to 13 years old. Again there are good teams all over but Florida and the warm weather states have an advantage.
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  20:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9u EC Braves no doubt beat a North Fla. Team. The real teams are in South Florida. Tamiami Park in Miami, florida usually has 30 travel teams in this age devision. They then select the best to represent this park in Pony league nationals and Cooperstown. Unlike here where the talent is more evenly distributed, S. Florida usually has only a few really good teams and a lot of average to poor teams. Got some decent teams out of ft. lauderdale/penbroke pines area occasionally. The Tampa area will bring in some decent teams at times. Any places further North then Orlando, most true Floridians consider South Ga.
Go to Top of Page

Frydaddy

80 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  21:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that team they beat was the West Florida Young Guns 9u out of Tampa.

Go to Top of Page

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  22:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did beat the West FL Young Guns(who were 24-2 according to www.travelballrankings.com) in the championship. According to the Young Guns coaches/parents, they have beaten Mizuno Glory four times this season. But they also stated that Mizuno comes with a different roster every time they meet up. 3 of their kids are also currently on Mizuno's roster.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  23:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BigEd you are right, don't count a North Fl. team as beating a "Team form Florida". The only North Florida based team that counts is Mizuno Glory and they certainatly did not beat the Glory.

BigPapa, how can you say Georgia has better teams. The Atl. Super NIT 9u, 10u and 12u champs are all from Florida. Not to mention the 10's went right thru your Bandits. Winning after 3 or 4 innings does not count. There are at least 3 teams from Florida that will consistantly beat your beloved Bandits. Glory, RBI Hawks (C.FL) and the PPO Bengals from Miami (Pembroke Pines).

Also, as stated in another post, RBI Hawks dismantled the 10u NC Super NIT and 11u #2 Ranked LMC (Leon Medical Centers) went undefeated in the 11u NC Super NIT defeating the #3 ranked GBC in the championship game.

I would have to say that Florida and California are at the top then Texas and coming in fourth would be Georgia.

Another thing Papa, your 12u Chiefs are a prime example about the talent in Florida. The Chiefs have been winning like crazy over the last month. Why? Because your team brings in 3-4 boys from Florida every weekend, one of which is LEAGUE AGE 11. You guys use our pithchers in the semis and final to get your tournament championships. I don't have a problem with it, just be sure to disclose oll of the info.

quote:
Originally posted by biged

9u EC Braves no doubt beat a North Fla. Team. The real teams are in South Florida. Tamiami Park in Miami, florida usually has 30 travel teams in this age devision. They then select the best to represent this park in Pony league nationals and Cooperstown. Unlike here where the talent is more evenly distributed, S. Florida usually has only a few really good teams and a lot of average to poor teams. Got some decent teams out of ft. lauderdale/penbroke pines area occasionally. The Tampa area will bring in some decent teams at times. Any places further North then Orlando, most true Floridians consider South Ga.

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BMoser: I agree with your posts but your order should be turned upside down and you would have it right. We have not only read but have actually played these teams and I can assure you that California and Texas are not close to Florida's really good teams and my heart will always have Georgia at #1. I feel good that we could have handled any of the Texas teams at Disney and if San Diego didn't have the Florida players then in my mind we would have run ruled them. I give Florida their due and admit that they have assembled some really great teams there.
Go to Top of Page

bigslick

55 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bball2008

They did beat the West FL Young Guns(who were 24-2 according to www.travelballrankings.com) in the championship. According to the Young Guns coaches/parents, they have beaten Mizuno Glory four times this season. But they also stated that Mizuno comes with a different roster every time they meet up. 3 of their kids are also currently on Mizuno's roster.

For the record, the 9U West Florida Young Guns have not beaten the 9U Glory this season. They did last season twice. The 9U Glory has not lost a game this season to any other 9U team. The Young Guns just lost to the EC Braves 10-6 in the Back to School Brawl. The 9U Glory beat the EC Braves 9-1 in 4 innings at the Atlanta Super NIT.

Edited by - bigslick on 04/21/2009 11:31:41
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I see it is if you took the BEST from Ga and put together the best 5 teams you cad make that we would have that type of baseball Fl has...If you took the BEST from ECB and put them on one team..Take the Bandits,Stixx,Sandtown,and 643 and make one team and so on and so on. In Ga we don't play baseball that way and doesn't look like we ever will...Maybe in Fl you HAVE to play that way and maybe in Ga the Cheifs are starting a new trend...Who know who cares because when most of these kids are adults they won't remember who they played and what the score was...
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my view point it is easily.....
#1 Florida....lots of talent, fields, coaches, good weather, finances, and support
#2 California..see Florida
#3 Texas...see Florida and California
#4 Georgia...the better teams come from EC and North Georgia and we all get whacked in MArch and April with terribly unpredictable rain, snow, and wind...
I'm a homer so no disrespect from me...but after much traveling I see the Fla, Texas, and Cali programs are 100% very early...and as they get older those teams get more and more refind...again no disrespect to Papa because the Bandits are incredible but as they get older it will become tougher to compete with just kids from their area...and it kills me to agree with FLFAN but he is correct that the boys from Florida on the Chiefs are off the charts good therefore making the Chiefs off the charts good...Great topic!!!!
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West Florida Young Guns are a good team and that is a good win for the EC team. However, the Young Guns have not beaten Mizuno Glory four times this season. They have not played this season. The Young Guns play AAU and the Glory plays USSSA.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FLBASEBALLFAN

West Florida Young Guns are a good team and that is a good win for the EC team. However, the Young Guns have not beaten Mizuno Glory four times this season. They have not played this season. The Young Guns play AAU and the Glory plays USSSA.

quote:

That info must have come from disgruntled Young Guns coaches/parents. I'd call them out but it would be waste of time. Mizuno is obviously a great program with different philosophies than most 9u and 10u travel programs and will undoubtedly be nearly unbeatable in their age groups until someone else matches their roster-picking style.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigslick

quote:

For the record, the 9U West Florida Young Guns have not beaten the 9U Glory this season. They did last season twice. The 9U Glory has not lost a game this season to any other 9U team. The Young Guns just lost to the EC Braves 10-6 in the Back to School Brawl. The 9U Glory beat the EC Braves 9-1 in 4 innings at the Atlanta Super NIT.

Actually, the Glory and Young Guns split going 1-1 against each other. The score to both games was 6-5.
Go to Top of Page

FLBASEBALLFAN

40 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it is 2 players that are now with the Young Guns that did play with the Glory. They were cut by the Glory.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FLBASEBALLFAN: Your head really got the big head after winning one game. One game will never make you a champion. I really believe our legendary Lewis Grizzard had you in mind when he talked of the transplanted Northerners and the alligator farms.

If you would read all my posts much of what I said agrees with your assessment of the Florida kids talent. It's amazing and they deserve much credit. But Papa will stand behind his beloved Georgia teams and will never feel that they are nothing but the best.

And I do want the opportunity to put your post concerning the Chiefs and any involvement that I might have to bed. First, I do not Coach or manage the Chiefs and second to compare a 12 year old program to a 10 year old program is ridiculous and third I don't get a vote in how the Chiefs choose to build their roster. I have a grandson that plays on the Chiefs and has since he was 9. He is one of the few members left from the Cooperstown's championship team. My grandson loves the Chiefs and will play with them as long as he continues to love the Chiefs. He also has made awesome friends with the Florida players and just to ask one simple question. If Florida truly is the best, then why would these kids want to play in Georgia. You have got to scratching your head over this question. And then last I hear you talking about the 9U, 10U and 12U but why do you leave out the 11U. Are any of the teams undefeated and if so which ones. I gave our won-loss record, Could we get yours.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  17:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FlBaseballFan said to: BigEd you are right, don't count a North Fl. team as beating a "Team from Florida". The only North Florida based team that counts is Mizuno Glory and they certainly did not beat the Glory.

I say how can you count Mizuno as a North Florida team then as all their players come from South Florida with few if any coming from anywhere near Jacksonville. People in Georgia really don't care how you build your team or how strong you are. Without respect from the teams you play you will never have succeeded. Does Florida read the things that are being said on the national level about the Glory and their methods of winning at any cost. Just as you I don't really care how you choose to build your team but if you are going to call the Georgia teams out, know that you will get a response.

Now in my mind that makes Mizuno a South Georgia team and me and FlaBaseballFAn are on the same side as Jacksonville, Florida on my map is in North Florida and I think he is saying the North Florida teams should be considered South Georgia teams. Congratulations on rearranging the United States.

I went public on this post and stated that the 10U Mizuno team was the very best team that the Bandits ever played and that we looked forward to playing them again. And then you came on this post and gave the Bandits little credit for their accomplishments. The Bandits have earned and I said earned the respect of the travel baseball world and that is obvious from anything you have read about the Bandits. We are not cocky and only play the best we can and sometimes that is good enough and sometimes it is not but they will always be the grittiest little kids on the face of this planet as far as I am concerned.

I read all the national posts and it is hard for me to believe that Mizuno Sports can be satisfied with having such great teams that has not appeared to have gained the respect of anyone in the nation due to the way you chose to do it.

Don't be mad at Papa for the bad press as I only read the paper, I didn't write it.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  18:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a 10U guy, so can only speak to that group. I know USSSA is an afterthought in some parts of Florida, Texas, and California, but go to the usssa web site and ck out the power rankings for 10U majors.

My earlier post about population, climate, and field availability will be confirmed. I didn't even look at the usssa power rankings before composing that post, its just common sense.

Sorry Papa, I love the Bandits, and have been following and rooting for them since they were 7, but cant agree with you on this one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000