General Discussion
 Birthday cut-off 2010
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard in passing (and most likely rumor) that there may be a Bday cut-off change over to the Jan 1st (discussed much in prior posts)as early now as the start of 2010 season....anyone in the know that can either dispute or validate this?

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard rumblings about it but nothing concrete. USA baseball does their tryouts based on the international birthdate because their competition uses the Year birthday cutoff.

You will have to watch Little League Baseball. I would expect them to go to it first, and if they do, the others will follow.

My understanding is the May 1st cutoff was a compromise during the last discussions. The proponents hoped it was a halfway move which would make the next move to Jan 1 easier.

We shall see.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  10:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this happens some kids will have skip a complete age group. If your a 12 year old and you turn 13 on May 2 next year you will have to play as a 14 year old
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  14:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would cause a significant team re-shuffling. I can tell you this... its a significant factor for boys with bad birth dates and especially for those who play in the younger age groups. We deal with a late April birth date, and its tough. We'd welcome the change.

Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter what cutoff you put, someone is going to have a bad birthday. Girls softball has the Jan 1 cutoff and my daughter has a Dec 1st birthday, which is terrible for softball, but my son has a August 25th birthday, which was great for the old Aug 1st baseball cutoff.

I grew up with a July 29th birthday so I was always one of the youngest on the team.

I understand the desire to want to line up with the international cutoff, but to me it makes more sense lining up with how schools do it so you line up better with classmates.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  09:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Lomax. The kids should be playing with the boys in their grade at school (unless they were held back).

Even the calendar year makes more sense than May 1st. What relevance does May 1st have? Why not April 1st?

I just e-mailed my local Little League Regional Director asking if age cutoffs were discussed in their Annual January meeting, and if so, will there be any changes made?

I'll share his reply once I get it.

Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bmoser - thanks for sending that email and will look forward to seeing their response
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  17:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now I would bet if you coach 10 year old team you got mostly 5th graders which is the higher end of the age scale. Big difference in that couple of months when kids are young. The funny thing is the 4th graders when looked at against there grade are much better than they are with the b-day the way it is. Right now the younger age school grade kids are at a big disadvantage. I kinda like the old way better. Making it jan 1st makes the most sense though. No matter when the date is though some people are gonna complain and some will be happy. The best way to do it by school grade I think, but man that would change every team out there a lot I bet.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  21:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Little League area director says it was not even discussed at their annual meeting :(
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  00:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

My Little League area director says it was not even discussed at their annual meeting :(

I am 99% sure the first place you will see a change is USA Baseball... As of yet, there is no change listed on their site. The last time the birth date requirements changed, it was not even passed by USA Baseball until May 2005 to take affect Spring of 2006. LL quickly jumped on board and all other leagues followed suite by late August '05.

http://www.usabaseball.com

Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
USA Baseball is the one driving this. They already follow the calender year as cut off date for the Junior Olympics. The international teams all follow the calendar year and that is why they are pushing for it. Then they can have the talent for each year playing together. It certainly makes it easier for them (USA Baseball). However, it would be a pain in the a** for you and me.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  23:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BASEBALL - Interesting, is your information from credible source? What source if I might ask? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  23:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a kid who is april 30th at 5pm, man, if she could have held out for 7 more hours. Too funny. I think he has learned a tremendous amount by being able to play and hang with the older guys at a high level which will even get him an advantage when you go to the grade stuff in high school. There can be a serious difference in weight, height etc inside of that year, which when you think about it, will always be the fact in any given 12 month period. What about the kids who are enjoying the so called playing down or being older on the team, all of a sudden they will turn into some of the younger guys and may lose a step or two on others, interesting turn around
Go to Top of Page

BaseballJunky12

49 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  00:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Breamking.....I like doing it by grade. You will eventually have to play with people in your same grade. If you are really young for your grade you will eventually have to play with the older kids anyhow. If you are a really young player that is in an older grade....you should have picked your parents better. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball

111 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May is almost here and 2010 season is just aroound the corner. Coaches get your pencils sharpened.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  13:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baseball - do you know something that we do not? May is almost here ... what happens in May to sharpen pencils for? Are you to the understanding there will be a cutoff date chamge made that will affect 2101 season as early as weeks from now?

Go to Top of Page

Infinity

33 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  14:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They way I look at it, I'd prefer my child to play against older boys as a youngster even if he wouldn't be the best player on the team because I know when he's in high school ball he'll be one of the oldest, basically competing against kids who were a league behind him but are in the same grade. The valuable experience he gains now against older kids will only benefit him later.

I'd rather him struggle against older kids now and dominate later versus dominate now and struggle later. Eventually it all even outs.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  14:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really should either slow down or use spell check on here...I meant "change" made and "2010" season on my prior post addressed to Baseball
Go to Top of Page

CoachMark

216 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  07:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While many of us wouldn't want to admit it, the impact of birthday cut-off date has a major factor on the success rate of a kid's ultimate success in sports. There have been study-after-study on this subject (Google it) in all sports with similar results. The closer your birthday is to the cut-off-date, the greater your chance of playing professionally. There are many theories as to why, but is seems pretty simple, bigger kids make the better teams with better coaches, and so-on.

Here's a link to a study on baseball that proves this point . . . http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2006/05/age-cut-offs-and-month-of-birth-in-baseball/

So if you kid is born in the first four months of the year, hockey is your best bet. Next four months, baseball. Last four months, basketball, football, or soccer.

There is no good answer to this problem. If you chose to segregate by weight, then kids would be in the boiler room before weigh-in.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  15:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoachMark
As a Dad of a late April birth date player, you wont get any argument out of me. However, if you have a bad birth date but are above average size, it can go far in balancing things out.

I've compensated by encouraging my son to play year round baseball, taken pro lessons, and placed him on mid tier teams where he will get the touches, at bats, and innings he needs to improve.

It's a constant struggle to compete in travel ball with a really bad birth date and average size :( Still manage to have lots of fun though :)
Go to Top of Page

titansx11

106 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  21:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from Pony's website. www.pony.org
When PONY changed the baseball age determination date in 2006 to April 30, there was discussion about changing it again in 2010. At the recent International Board of Directors meeting, it was agreed that the age determination date will remain April 30 for the foreseeable future. THE AGE DETERMNATION DATE WILL NOT CHANGE IN 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  21:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 10 BB

If this happens some kids will have skip a complete age group. If your a 12 year old and you turn 13 on May 2 next year you will have to play as a 14 year old

Kids don't skip a complete age group when the bithdate is moved back. Any child with a 1/1 to 4/30 get to stay back and play at the same age group.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  08:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A DIRECT QUOTE from USA BASEBALL below .....

We do not control the date changes, and as such have not been informed of one.

Should our national member organizations make a change, they will let us know, but until then we follow the already-established dates.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Topscout

59 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  15:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son was involved in the first date change - he has a July birthday, so he played two years at U10, one at U11, and then jumped to U13 to get on grade level.

I personally believe that the July 31st cutoff was best because it basically kept kids at grade level. Currently, the kids with May through July birthdays need to figure out which year to skip to get on grade level. Their only advantage is when they are Freshman and can play U14 after the JV season instead of having to try to find a U15 team.

Generally I believe that the U12 year is the one to skip because you get the true transition from 50/70 to 54/80 to 60/90 and get on grade level in 7th grade.

Switching the cutoff to Jan 1 would just create more problems for another 4 month worth of birthdays. Not a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  16:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gold Glove,
That is not how I have seen it with USA Baseball. If they go by calendar year, like the international cutoff is, if you were born in 1994 you are classified as a 15 YO, 1995 a 14U, 1996 a 13U, etc. In this case, players would lose an entire year.

Now if they follow the Jan 1 birthday cutoff, meaning whatever you are prior to Jan 1 is what you play (like girls softball does), then you are right.

The question is, which methodology will they use.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000