General Discussion
 Batter's Boxes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  07:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why there were no Batter's Boxes at the tournament last weekend? I only saw games at the East Cobb facility so I don't know if Harrison Park had them or not. Is this an East Cobb thing?
As nice as the East Cobb facility is it seemed odd that they would scrimp on the Batter's Box.

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  12:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy Plains had them on our field but it was about 2 feet by 2 feet
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  23:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is mostly the problem. You need a frame to make sure you are doing it correctly or otherwise everyone complains about the size. The only thing I hear more of than complaining about missing batters boxes are complaints about them being drawn incorrectly. Then everyone gets up there and rubs them out anyway.

I am sure not having batters boxes has been the primary factor in the outcome of many games out of East Cobb.

And CLG003, very rarely do the scoreboards not work at EC anymore.

Give me a freakin break.

Edited by - greglomax on 04/09/2009 08:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  11:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lomax, I was neither complaining nor intimating that lack of batter's boxes in any way influenced the outcome of a game. I just found it odd that a park as nice as East Cobb did not have batter's boxes.
I didn't think it was that odd for the younger groups, but I was suprised that they didn't have them for the older kids.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  14:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken. I did not pay that much attention to it until we were hosting a tournament there a month or so back and could not find a form to go by. We tried to free-draw it but you get as many complaints about that as you do leaving them alone. Most teams would rather get the game started on time than worry about batters boxes.

I think if they cannot be drawn to spec they should be left alone.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  08:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Batters boxes have become more of a mental picture now days. I don't think you really need one most umps know where they should be and I don't see the advantage of having one drawn with chalk?
Go to Top of Page

yankeedad

133 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  12:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opinions will vary in terms of whether or not they are truly "needed". I tend to feel they are because there are rules associated with the batters box and advantages a batter can gain when one is not present (http://baseball-rules.com/batterbox.htm). What can’t be disputed is that they are part of the field layout, just like the foul line. They serve a purpose and should be present during every game.

We all pay a lot of $ for these tournaments and the directors of them should make an effort to drag & freshly line the fields before every game. As a parent, when I see a well manicured field, it makes me feel good about the quality of the organization running the show; at the end of the day it’s not that hard to do.

This is why we tell our kids to tuck in their shirts, wear their hats correctly and be respectful of the umpires…these things don’t change the outcome of the game either.

Edited by - yankeedad on 05/10/2011 13:53:09
Go to Top of Page

9U Coach

30 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  10:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is certainly a need for batters boxes, or at least umpires that will "enforce" where they should be. When you have a pitcher that throws really hard, that's his advantage. When a batter is allowed to be 2 to 3 feet farther away from said pitcher, it can take that advantage away. Not to mention how that affects the catcher and umpire that are now way too far behind the plate.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  11:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, talk about dusting off an old discussion. The original discussion, it appears, started back over 2 years ago.

H&R, were you bored and looking back at the archives?
Go to Top of Page

yankeedad

133 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  15:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good point...lol

I missed that.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
I was at a GGBL 12U game last night, and it was late in the game and the RH batters box was rubbed out. The ump used a boys bat to re-establish the box midway through an at-bat (that should have been a clue to the hitter). The team batting was down, but they were mounting a charge. On the next pitch, the batter hits a grounder, and the ump immediately called him out for hitting the ball while one foot was outside the box (front of the box after his front foot took the timing stride). I was in the scoring tower directly behind/above the backstop, so saw it clearly. Good call by the ump. The charge fizzled, and they lost.

I see a lot of hitters taking advantage of the lack of batters boxes at EC, especially on 2 strike counts. They are standing on the edge of the plate hovering over it trying to intimidate the pitcher into walking them, or hitting them. I've seen a lot of kids get hit by a pitch that was a strike, and in all the times I've seen that, I've yet to see the ump make the right call...STRIKE. Instead they award the base on HBP. EC is the only place I've seen that does not use batters boxes during tourneys. I've seen it cause issues and arguments delaying the game. There is good reason that 99% of baseball facilities take the time and effort to lay down the lines for tourneys.

EC is the coolest youth baseball venue I have seen (aside from Disney, and I have not been to C'Town or Ripkin yet), but I agree that they should take the time to lay down the lines. I like the paint-can machines myself, and they now have eco-friendly paint cans. Saves all the chalky mess.

Edited by - bmoser on 05/12/2011 10:59:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000